Suikoden Unique and Illusional Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

No black people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But, as was pointed out in a topic in this forum before, Japan was conquered (as much so as happens in resent history, anyways) by America, while previously thinking themselves to be superior to all others, and have a certain respect (not the right word, but close enough) for white people due to this. This is why we would see nothing but whites and asians in the earlier games. Really, in Suikoden I, those two were the only cultures represented. No natives. No middle eastern. No Slavic. No latin.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm.....Kasim Hazil might be considered kind of Middle Eastern-ish.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm. You are right! I forgot about him. I wonder why he doesn't fit into that explanation. Maybe, since the middle east is between Japan and Europe. We definately had some europeans! France, anyone?

Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Augustine Nabor, Simone Verdricci and the other narcissists look like French people for me. At least their names suggest that they are.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to mention knighthood elements.

CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
Well, Augustine Nabor, Simone Verdricci and the other narcissists look like French people for me. At least their names suggest that they are.

Verdricci is an Italian name.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

CAPTAIN PLANET wrote:
Verdricci is an Italian name.

Oh, is that so? My lack of knowledge about things European related makes me associate all things that sound European as French. They all sound the same to me. My bad.

...I feel like an idiot now.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ryusei"]
CAPTAIN PLANET wrote:

...I feel like an idiot now.

Don't

I also think Kasim Hazil is more like a Arabian person. Plus I alsways thought Barbarossa, Mueller and Wilhelm were German types. At least their names are.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milich Oppenheimer is a German name, and he's one of the narcissists.

Also, Kasim Hazil is an Arabic name. According to some Arabic naming site I just found:

Quote:

Kaseem, Kasim - Divided

Suikoden 1 does seem to have a decent Arabic/Persian influence to it, at least artwise. Have you seen Tir McDohl's shoes?

^Actual quote!
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also thought that Taggart, Warren's servant looked quite middle-easter with his robe attire and hat. I still reckon that Kanak was not the run of the mill race in suikoden 1 either.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, I don't think I've ever paid attention to Tir's shoes. Why? What's up?

Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They have an Arabic feel to them. http://www.suikosource.com/chars/list/imageviewnojs.php?img=t/tirmcdohl 01.gif&char_id=216
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since Suikoden V, I imagined Kasim and Shin to be from Armes. Perhaps Wakaba, too. They're all from the southlands, or, lands to the south, which are pretty much Falena, Armes, and Nagarea. And, they all have arabic, egyptian, and persian feels to them.

Sialeeds wrote:
Plus I alsways thought Barbarossa, Mueller and Wilhelm were German types. At least their names are.

Actually, Barbarossa is another Italian name. It's actually two words. It comes from the pirate "redbeard". Barba = beard. Rossa = red. Though the pirate Barbarossa was middle eastern (He was Ottoman/Turkish), he was given an italian name, because he sailed mostly in the mediterrenean.

Mueller and Wilhelm are both German names.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a lot famous German people in history, who were named Barbarossa. Thats why I thought so.
kuya

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Sophita":3r1wtleu][quote="Moon Knight":3r1wtleu] Aside from Hauser, Samus, Bob and some Karayans, I don't see any definitively black people. Even within the Karaya clan we see there a distinct difference in skin tones. Look at [url=http://www.suikosource.com/images/chars/l/lucia04. jpg:3r1wtleu]Lucia[/url:3r1wtleu] and [url=http://www.suikosource.com/images/chars/a/aila01.j pg:3r1wtleu]Aila[/url:3r1wtleu] and then look at [url=http://www.suikosource.com/images/chars/l/lucretia01&# 46;png:3r1wtleu]Lucretia[/url:3r1wtleu].

Maybe its just how Suikoden V's art is but if all Karayans were of black decent, then why isn't Lucretia as dark as Aila and Lucia?

Erm, you do realize people can vary in skin tone even within the same racial group? [url=http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/273397.jpg:3r1wt leu]Halle Berry[/url:3r1wtleu] has lighter skin than [url=http://theland.antgear.com/wesley_snipes.jpg:3r1wt leu]Wesley Snipes[/url:3r1wtleu] but that doesn't mean that they aren't both of African-American descent. Skin tone variation is extremely common in ethnic groups. Heck, I'm significantly lighter skinned than my father, but I don't think that means that we don't share the same ethnic heritage!

Furthermore, what would you define as "definitively black people"? You seem to think having dark skin is somehow not a requirement, so...what is? Do they have to have some specific feature? How would you define "definitvely white people"? If it does depend on a specific-feature that isn't skin tone to be white, than, say, is Dios not white because he has a bigger nose than Thomas?

[quote="Sialeeds":3r1wtleu]And another thing: I wanna know how to describe a person in English which is "brown" hence a child of a white&black person, because everytime I talked about black people I kinda meant brown people(like myself)

In America, someone who has a parent of both races would most likely be refered to as biracial (although that would describe anyone with a parent from two different "races" generally), but I'm not sure if that's a word in common usage across the world or not.
lol pretty sure halle berry is half white. anyway, i cant say i've ever viewed the karayans as black people, they seem to be dress wise and culturally central asian
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: