Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

No black people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moon Knight wrote:
Aside from Hauser, Samus, Bob and some Karayans, I don't see any definitively black people. Even within the Karaya clan we see there a distinct difference in skin tones. Look at Lucia and Aila and then look at Lucretia.

Maybe its just how Suikoden V's art is but if all Karayans were of black decent, then why isn't Lucretia as dark as Aila and Lucia?

Erm, you do realize people can vary in skin tone even within the same racial group? Halle Berry has lighter skin than Wesley Snipes but that doesn't mean that they aren't both of African-American descent. Skin tone variation is extremely common in ethnic groups. Heck, I'm significantly lighter skinned than my father, but I don't think that means that we don't share the same ethnic heritage!

Furthermore, what would you define as "definitively black people"? You seem to think having dark skin is somehow not a requirement, so...what is? Do they have to have some specific feature? How would you define "definitvely white people"? If it does depend on a specific-feature that isn't skin tone to be white, than, say, is Dios not white because he has a bigger nose than Thomas?

Sialeeds wrote:
And another thing: I wanna know how to describe a person in English which is "brown" hence a child of a white&black person, because everytime I talked about black people I kinda meant brown people(like myself)

In America, someone who has a parent of both races would most likely be refered to as biracial (although that would describe anyone with a parent from two different "races" generally), but I'm not sure if that's a word in common usage across the world or not.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One term that I've heard used for the children of one black parent and one white parent is mulatto. He uses it himself and I don't think it has any negative connotations, but I'm not certain.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow i always thought that blackman was black. That just blows my mind seeing that picture. Also, I dont think Kobolds would count even if under their fur they were black.

Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Strange to decide to resurrect such an old thread for a statement like that.

I find it amazing that people thought he had black skin because his name was Blackman. Steve Blackman is not impressed.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agahnim wrote:
Strange to decide to resurrect such an old thread for a statement like that.

I find it amazing that people thought he had black skin because his name was Blackman. Steve Blackman is not impressed.

Im a new member just joined a couple of days ago so you may see some old threads getting bumped.

and I didnt think he was black based off of his name being blackman. I thought he was black due to his skin tone.

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

Erm, you do realize people can vary in skin tone even within the same racial group? Halle Berry has lighter skin than Wesley Snipes but that doesn't mean that they aren't both of African-American descent. Skin tone variation is extremely common in ethnic groups. Heck, I'm significantly lighter skinned than my father, but I don't think that means that we don't share the same ethnic heritage!

Furthermore, what would you define as "definitively black people"? You seem to think having dark skin is somehow not a requirement, so...what is? Do they have to have some specific feature? How would you define "definitvely white people"? If it does depend on a specific-feature that isn't skin tone to be white, than, say, is Dios not white because he has a bigger nose than Thomas?

Halle Berry is Mulatto, so that describes her lightness in tones. Her mother was/is white. But I do know what you are trying to say. However the lightest pure-blooded black person will always have darker skin than the vast majority of pure caucasians. But, nowhere did I say having dark skin isn't a requirement of being black either. I don't know where you got that impression. But its more or less the tone of their skin in conjunction with other traits that make up the black race that I base them on. In general black people have dark skin, black hair that is more frizzy than straight as well as several facial features that stand out. Larger noses on males and thicker lip lines are stereotypical of black people. When you look at the Aila, she has the dark coarse hair that goes well into dreadlocks, she has thicker lips and darker skin. Being a female, her nose won't be as flared as if she were male. But if you look at the Karayan males, none seem to have the stereotypical black features. Blonde hair on Beecham? Look at Hauser. He has a very steretypical black face. Thicker nose, dark highly coarse hair and even the thickened lip lines. There's no doubt in anyone's mind he is not black. Its my belief that the Karayans aren't black, but a hybrid between, close to what we consider mulatto. Maybe its a skin tone attained after centuries of their people living out in the Grassland's open sun.

"Definitive white people" would be thinner hair usually light browns, reds and blonde. Often colored eyes like blue green and hazel are also found more in caucasians than in Asians and Blacks. Larger noses wouldn't be a caucasian trait, but more jewish, stereotypically. I'm not saying Dios is a jew bercause there's no set religions really in Suikoden other than the beleif in zexen that a godess watches over them and that there's Grassland spirits that are in the land that Aila can hear. Just having dark skin is not enough to qualify you as fully black. That is why I have questions about Samus. I think he is black but bleaches his hair for some personal reason, sort of like how Hugo dies the tips of his hair black or Flik screws with his hair tones. That's not natural.

And in your difference with your father, chances are your mother has just as much to do with your skin tone as your father. Your father might have darker skin than you because he's closer tied to a full blooded greek, italian or other mediterranean heritage while your mother may be tied closer to Germanic, Nordic or English region ethnicity, so your skin tone is lighter than your fathers. I could be WAY off base, but most people I know who has a darker parent than them have parents of different national heritages and one is from a lighter region. I could have a Sicillian father (Sicillians tend to have a more olive skin than white) and an Irish mother and end up somewhere in-between. That doesn't mean I'm not of Sicillian heritage, it just means I'm also of Irish heritage. So, unless BOTH of your parents are significantly darker than you, your argument is voided.

By the way, Agahnim, too funny.

I would like to see more blacks in Suikoden, but its being designed by asians who haven't really ever acknowledged the blacks in any RPGs so, we might see another token or two, but we won't see a nation of blacks or anything.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Philosopherking wrote:

Im a new member just joined a couple of days ago so you may see some old threads getting bumped.

Ha, my stupid eyes though that the post above yours from Mar 06, 2007 was from Mar '06. Sorry about that!

To be honest, I would rather that the makers of Suikoden would just go with their instinct as opposed to making characters of different ethnic backgrounds just for the sake of an idea of racial equality. If they want to bring a black culture into Suikoden, I'm sure they'll do it at some point. Theres an awful lot of the Suikoden world that we haven't seen.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the question of Suikoden 1 that definately lacked racial variety, I always saw the Pirate Kanak as being a coloured character. Hauser, Samus were also black characters I noticed in suikoden games.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Philosopherking wrote:
I thought he was black due to his skin tone.

...What?
EggMan

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackman's skintone is a different hue than a lot of the characters in Suikoden I, it doesn't look totally dark and you can tell he has brown hair, but there is still no one else in Suikoden I with such a different skin tone. I believe that is all Philosopherking was trying to say.

"I think we are blind. Blind people who can see, but do not see."
blight2345432

Magicians of Gregminster

6795 Potch
66 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i always considered karayans middle eastern or gypsies or native americans. brazilian? that's just one i would never even consider that it's far fetched just my way of thinking sorry it just really surprised me braziallian was brought up to me it's really obscure
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me they are more like people with a half white and a half black pedigree. I consider them brown.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've always considered the Karayans to be somewhere in between Africans and Native Americans.

In terms of looks though, the Karayans defy logic. People with dark skin typically have black or brown hair. Yes, there are exceptions to this, but a whole race of dark-skinned, blond people is unheard of.

Of course, so is a whole race of talking duck people, but that's another question.
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
I wouldn't even consider kobolds as "people."

hey no anti-black comments please.

and how many black countries are in eastern asia, really?

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

retrospect. wrote:
Ryusei wrote:
I wouldn't even consider kobolds as "people."

hey no anti-black comments please.

and how many black countries are in eastern asia, really?

As less, as white countries I guess
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: