Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What if Konami decides to make Suikoden spin-off titles?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: What if Konami decides to make Suikoden spin-off titles? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just from the threads around here, questions arose from my mind. Let's assume the Suikoden series is over. Everything is said and done and everything has been revealed to us. We now know everything about the world of Suikoden.

Let's also assume that Suikoden has now become very popular. It has now become the most popular RPG in time, even more popular than, say, Final Fantasy. Because of it's popularity, Konami does not want to end the series. Now, what if Konami makes a spin-off out of Suikoden and makes other titles out of it. What if Konami makes a strategy war game, a fighting game, a 3rd person shooter game, an action adventure game, an MMORPG or any other genre of games based on Suikoden just to keep the series alive.

Now, my questions are would you still support Suikoden by buying these spin-off titles? Would you still love the series after so many spin-off games have been made based on it? And what if the games don't suit your taste? Would you hate Suikoden because of that?

I just want to hear everyone's opinion about this. I for one don't wan't Suikoden to end up like this. I would probably even hate Suikoden if ever this would happen.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the main series was over, you say? Maybe. It'd really depend on whether the games expanded on the universe and story of the Suikoden world in a tolerable sense.

I'd love a Suikoden war game, by the way.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me personally, it'd depend on the quality of these spin-offs. If it's good quality, then sure I'll play the game if I can afford to. But if it's half-baked game, then I don't want to be bothered with it. I do think that if such spin-offs were to be made, then it'd be of good quality since Suikoden relies heavily to the storyline unlike Final Fantasy. So therefore, even if the spin-offs are of different genre, it should still maintain the level of storyline that has been the trademark of Suikoden series.

Quote:
Now, my questions are would you still support Suikoden by buying these spin-off titles? Would you still love the series after so many spin-off games have been made based on it? And what if the games don't suit your taste? Would you hate Suikoden because of that?

Personally, I think you're being far too negative about these imaginary spin-offs. What if the question is being reversed? What if the games actually suit to your taste? Would you hate Suikoden series?

And now that I think of it, what difference is it exactly than the current spin-offs that we have already? We have 5 traditional RPG in form of Suikoden I, II, III, IV, and V. Now let's see the spin-offs that we already have. Card Stories, SuikoGaiden Vol.1 and Vol.2, and Suikoden Tactics/Rhapsodia. That's 4 spin-offs already which is almost half of the whole thing (and prior to Suikoden V's release, that's exactly half of the whole thing already). Do you hate Suikoden series now? If not, why would you hate it if Konami made spin-offs in the future? Just because they're trying to keep the series alive?

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Personally, I think you're being far too negative about these imaginary spin-offs. What if the question is being reversed? What if the games actually suit to your taste? Would you hate Suikoden series?

And now that I think of it, what difference is it exactly than the current spin-offs that we have already? We have 5 traditional RPG in form of Suikoden I, II, III, IV, and V. Now let's see the spin-offs that we already have. Card Stories, SuikoGaiden Vol.1 and Vol.2, and Suikoden Tactics/Rhapsodia. That's 4 spin-offs already which is almost half of the whole thing (and prior to Suikoden V's release, that's exactly half of the whole thing already). Do you hate Suikoden series now? If not, why would you hate it if Konami made spin-offs in the future? Just because they're trying to keep the series alive?

Yeah, maybe I am too negative about these spin-offs. It's just that many of my experiences with spin-offs in games make my opinion of a game turn sour. I used to love Final Fantasy. Same with Warcraft. But now, with all these spin-offs, my opinions about these games drastically changed.

It's just that I'm only afraid that I will hate Suikoden if it ever goes into making spin-offs. I actually even hated Suikoden for some time because of it's spin-offs. I just got back to the series because of Suikoden V. I can't really explain why I dislike spin-offs so much. It's just me though.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
I'd love a Suikoden war game, by the way.

This sums up my opinion nicely.

Well, spin-offs do sometimes damage game franchises. It depends. The core character of Suikoden is its RPG nature, of course, and so if things like Final Fantasy's Dirge of Cerberus are made, it detracts a bit from that. However, if the spin-offs are popular and well-made, then they will help to ensure the continuation of the RPG series. Or, if they ever decide to 'end' the Suikoden series, then spin-offs will be a nice way for me to get my fanboy fix without having to resign myself to nostalgia discussions about Suikoden I in another few years.

The key words there are, of course, 'well-made'. If the spin-off is going to be anything less than superb, I'd rather they didn't make it at all. However, I'm not sure that Konami would go the Dirge of Cerberus route with Suikoden...I would think that either a war type game or some kind of fighting game would be more in line with the character of Suikoden. What makes Suikoden unique, after all, are the duels and large army battles and the large number of recruitables. Otherwise, it's fundamentally no different from your Final Fantasy (or any other RPG) titles really.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A war game would seem the most logical idea... It's a natural extension of what Suikoden is. And in that sense I think when making a spinoff of a game, it should have gameplay similar enough that the gamer will be comfortable playing both. For example, having a rhythm dancing game based off Karen wouldn't work. Nor would a FPS based off Clive.

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure i would but as long as it still has the elements we love about suikoden.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It really is deoends on how Konami going to make the game...
if it's related to any of the Suikoden series, say battle wars using Suikoden 2 or 3 or something characters and then just war war war without the fight at forests or something like that, of course i would play it and love it...
but if it's not any related to Suikoden, i might gonna think twice first about it :)
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flamo wrote:
but if it's not any related to Suikoden

A spin-off game can be a spin-off game even if it's not related to the main-genre games? I wonder. :P

Yes, I do believe you're being too negative, no offense. I never disliked the Suikoden series no matter how much Suikoden IV sucked, so said almost everyone else. In my opinion, you shouldn't judge a game franchise negatively if one or two of their games became a disappointment to gamers, because that's just being a perfectionist, in my beliefs.

Again, no offense.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No offense taken, uwangski. Yes, some of the Suikoden games were dissapointments but I never truly hated Suikoden for a long time because of that. Konami has done well in removing my hatred from the series with their work with Suikoden V.

I never judged Suikoden because some of the games were dissapointments. It's just that I want the best to happen for the series. Yes, I would feel bad and probably hate Suikoden for a while if ever Konami fails at a Suikoden game but that hatred and anger would be lost after a short while. I never was the kind of person to store in the hatred and anger I feel inside. Instead, I forget about that hatred think of the future. If ever Suikoden makes mistakes of their installments, I would hope for a better Suikoden in the future.
Hawksaber

1041 Potch
5 Soldiers
687 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think an online Suikoden RPG could work out extremely well, due to the significance the geography of the Suikoden world has in regards to the series. There'd be a lot to explore, do, etc... Also, not to mention the different types of races to choose from.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want an RTS on Suikoden, then.

THink of something like Battle Realms - ceot that it's based around SUikoden. You could choose between nations, and each nation could have their own units (Ex: Island Nations Pirates and Kanakan having Falcon swordmasters.), they could also have legendary figures (like Lepant/Hugo available for battle as a hero or something).

They could also add mercenary buildings for any player to hire., so people would try and outrace each other to hire Fliktor.

As for having a Campaign mode - maybe they cuold let you relive the wars, except that all your battles are the big-scale wars.

That would sooooo be awesome. And I'm sure as hell going to want this. :D

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure if I'd want Suikoden to go all crazy on us a la Dirge of Cerberus or anything like that, but I do agree with John regarding a war game. That would be a rather natural extension.

I think I'd be more interested in user-created content of some kind. I remember someone was planning a Suikoden modification for Civilization IV... something like that would almost be worth risking a kernal panic trying to play the bloody game on my poor little computer.
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

edited to avoid duplicate

Last edited by Athene Airheart on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Argh... lag time causing problems the other day, I guess.

The gist of what I said was I agree that suikoden spin offs need to be high quality and I'd like to see an MMORPG, or a war game, or strategy, and a Civ expansion would be beyond cool!

But I hate it when endless spin offs cheapen the whole experience and make me sick of the original thing. So I guess I'd rather err on the side of two few, and still be hungry for more, than have too much and be tired of it.

Last edited by Athene Airheart on Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: