Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Will the Grasslands be able to continue on for long?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miho~

1000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Grasslands are made up of a majority of people that all want the same goal of being an independent nation where their own unique cultures and traditions are respected;therefore, preserved. In my opinion, Le Buque just chose to let fear take over and let themselves be invaded by Harmonia. The fact is, nobody likes being told what to do especially by a foreign invader. It was like when Harmonia called up the soldiers of Le Buque to engage in battle against the flame champion in the grasslands, many of Le Buque's citizens felt that they needed to fight, like Franz, to obtain a higher position in harmonia only b/c he wanted to assimilate into their culture.

in this case, living under occupation doesn't work. Especially since Le Buque was colonized.
Quote:

People live under occupation all the time, not everyone would rather die for a vauge ideal like freedom.

Why do you think Native Americans aren't going around bombing places demanding 'freedom'? Or the south? Hello? Tried to declare independence, got punched in the teeth and dragged back into the Union?

yeah it's a fact that ppl live under occupation a lot but it always ends up in large conflicts. Colonies under the Roman and British Empire gained independence and not all of them were through diplomacy. No one likes to have to assimilate, and sometimes it's just not good enuf to merely ride on someone's coat tails for life. Freedom is an ideal, but it's a powerful force that drives MANY ppl to accomplish it.

As for the First nations ppl they are still trying to engage in negotiations with the U.S. government for proper land claims that they were cheated/kicked out of when America was born. I would hope that since America is such a civilized place that of course bombings wouldn't happen. Also, the First Nations are also more civilized than what you're giving credit to them for. Just b/c there isnt a lot of violence doesn't mean that heated discussions and negotiations aren't still active with regards to the First Nations land and civil rights claim...so yeah i would say that freedom is still a pretty big foundation for all these problems.

btw, the south aren't making a big deal about independence any more b/c they can't depend on cheap labor anymore so they need the north and it would be dumb to stir up anything major right now. BUt don't forget that there is still a division that underlies there, especially with the allocation of the red and blue states.

Quote:

They still have trade and stuff. And logically, Harmonia wouldn't try to destroy grasslands just yet because it'll waste too much resources.

I AGREE! that's why RESOURCES and man power is why grasslands are still there, b/c they're not as powerful as the other nations so they're not stupid enuf yet to rage an all out war against the rest of the world

~~***MIHO~~~~^^^!!!
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really want to attack Harmonia. The Grasslands are in the way. We need to get rid of them. :twisted:
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EG, I think you're confusing this thread to be the Suikox Grasslands; it's actually the Suikoden Grasslands. Thus, it really doesn't have anything to do with Zexay being able to attack Harmonia. Besides which, might I remind you we squashed the Zexen invasion last phase? I don't think we'll be seeing your nation beat mine again any time too soon.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:oops: Whoops, my bad.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Grasslands in my opinion are in an O.K condition at best. They have just won the Second Fire Bringer War yes, so morale would be high. But by no means are they growing any stronger. Their biggest threat at the moment would be Harmonia. Filled with corrupt priests, bishops, and aristocrats, Harmonia more than likely could attack at any given time. They allied briefly under the circumstances and position that they were in due to the Luc situation, but by no means do they hold any bonds to the Grasslands. The Grasslanders do have one major defense. Hugo and his True Fire Rune. That True Rune alone can destroy entire armies in a flash of Hellfire, as proven in the First Fire Bringer War, enough so that it forced Harmonia into signing the cease-fire ending the War. Harmonia also is in possesion of two True Runes. The True Earth Rune and the True Lightning Rune. More than likely these two True Runes would overpower anything the Grasslands could through together, even with Hugo decimating the Harmonian forces using his True Fire Rune they would be doomed to fail against both True Runes.

Against other nations, I believe the Grasslands would fair extremely well, not having to deal with the True Rune capablities of Harmonia and the massive grand army that they posses, the Grasslands would more than likely be to much for any other nation to take on at this point due to their massive ground army and tenacity, along with the Hugo and his True Fire Rune.

So yes the Grasslands is very powerful and a force to be reckoned with, but by no means are they increasing dramatically in size or power.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harmonia has the True Lightning Rune??
I thought Geddoe has the True Lightning Rune....

*off topic* Everybody's Grudge, what are you doing in Budehuc Castle?? Its under our control! :lol:

Last edited by Goldy on Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alas Geddoe does indeed work for Harmonia. Therfore they are in possesion of the True Lightning Rune. Though he would hesitate to use it against the Grasslands, Harmonia would indeed find a way to take control of the True Lightning Rune from him now that he has unsealed it.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My memory is a bit hazy as to what happened at the end of Suikoden III, did Geddoe and his crew actually go back to work for Harmonia after the Second Fire Bringer War??
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes they did.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you mistake Geddoe's loyalty to Harmonia. Especially when it comes to his Rune. He hid his ownership of True Lightning for a reason, and probably a very large part of that reason is Harmonia.
Dura Sinai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be itneresting to see how Geddoe plays out because of the fact he works for Harmonia and also is a true rune bearer. They could try and take it under possession but I think he has a few things going for him.

Only a small segment of Sasarai's troops really got directly involved. And even then, Sasarai was acting on his own to deal with the threat of Luc and to retrieve his true rune. So depending on how he opts to act, he may try and keep quiet about the other elemental runes.

In fact I do believe it mentions he was involved in reinstating their group to action. He is also kinda sorta in debt to Thomas and Cecile for their kindness as well as to the flame champion for allowing him to come along despite being an enemy. So I think he is going to do what is in his power to keep Harmonia out of any major grassland conflicts for awhile as an act of goodwill. From what we have seen he doesn't seem like the type who is going to look for trouble.

You need to remember that even Sasarai's loyalty is in question after he realizes that he was nothing more than a pawn for Hikusaak to hold a true rune. Good chance he is less eager to turn in more true rune bearers for Harmonia's use following this.

Also I think if need be, Geddoe can probably simply dissapear with little fanfare. He seemed to keep relatively low key following the first fire bringer war. So he could probably do it with few issues.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could not agree with you more. He also has some of Harmonia's finest Border Defense Force members whose supreme loyalty seems to be to him rather than to Harmonia itself. They couldn't fight off an army for him, of course, but having loyal people watching your back is a huge plus in being able to keep underground. No, I don't think Geddoe is in any sort of danger from interferance from Harmonia. It would take another True Rune Bearer to stop him personally, most likely; with a six man team, it would be child's play to keep a watch going every night, whether at base or abroad, to keep them from being snuck up upon.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quite true, seeing as how Geddoe's TR is one of the most powerful

-off topic: I found TR of Fire to be sort of annoying truth be told, It damaged your own team members...

a final note here: As long as Geddoe is in the employ of Harmonia and is not openly active against them he's in no danger. Which brings up the question of was Geddoe born in Harmonia, is that the reason why he stays (Chris scene with Luc-Vinay del Zexen, Hugo scene with Luc- Karaya Village both were born there? hence Geddoe's loyalty.

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was under the impression that Geddoe was actually a Grasslander whose Clan had been wiped out a long time ago. I had heard something that True Lightning was his Clan's treasure, or something along those lines. Can someone confirm or deny that, for me?
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geddoe's "homeland" was destroyed by Harmonia and the True Lightning Rune was said to be one of their treasures (it was the reason Harmonia came knocking), but we don't know if he was a Grasslander or not. The game says that Karaya feels like a "cursed land" to Geddoe, which Konami went on to say meant he received the True Lightning Rune in an area around there, so that's where a lot of speculation that he was a Grasslander comes from. However, given that the Karayans seem pretty nomadic, it's possible that the area there, between Plain Amur and the Mountain Path/Plain Amur, wasn't populated by them at the time he got it. He's been around a while, after all. Still, that's not as huge a spot of land as it seems, and you'd have to wonder why Harmonia would go after such a small country (if this theory is even remotely correct), but that they were already expanding into Grasslands at the time suggests that they could have.

As far as the topic goes, I'm not sure. Grasslands has a lot going for it, right now- Hugo and Chris are two extraordinary leaders, and it's no secret that Geddoe fought on the side of the Grasslands in both Fire Bringer wars, so we know he has some allegiance to it. It depends on more than the number of True Rune bearers, though. After Suikoden III, a lot of the 108 Stars of Destiny departed on their own journeys, and you have to wonder if there'd ever be such a strong coalition of fighters as there was in Suikoden III. I wouldn't be surprised, though. Grasslands has shown that it can produce a huge number of ready fighters just with the name "Flame Champion." For any country to take it over would be an incredible feat and would probably span years. I'm thinking Troy-level here, if we're just talking a country coming in and invading full force.

Will it ever eventually fall? Maybe, but only if they have to fight a war on two fronts like they were threatened with in SIII, with Zexen on one side and Harmonia on the other. There is the Northern Outlands factor, as has been mentioned- I think at least Kamaro and Hallec's clan would be willing to help out, and Zexen too, so long as Chris and Hugo are on good terms. I don't know...I think it'll stay secure for a long time.

"I've been shown a lifetime of oddities in a day." -- Ashley Riot
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: