Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 1 vs 2 vs 3!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I liked II the best like most people cause even with a lot of hard to understand events that were not explained very well in the game, it still has by far the best story of the three games. I never thought about how dumbed down the character relationship of II was until I read it here, and I can really see that but it is really not something that beats you down over and over again which didn't even really bother me at all. I hated III and if I was to rank it among rpgs I would put it behind all the PS FF games as well, other than the fact that it brought back some of the good stuff form the first 2 games I can't think of anything else good about it. The battle system sucked, the music was weird and had non of the feel from the first 2 games, there's not even close to the same number of great moments as I and II, and with it coming out almost a year after FFX the graphics and the sound/voice over can't even compare, before I played II I tried to play III cause I was extremely drawn in by the great opening but when I started playing, the reading put me to sleep many times....... oh and by the way, what did the first 3 chapters of Geddoe's story really do? I can't really think of anything important that he did which impacted the story (I'm not counting when they saved Thomas's group since Thomas's story is not even required to be played so that part of the story could be skipped for all I care) and talk about non-convincing story writing, I don't buy that the 3 nations that's been fighting for decades united all of a sudden when a short while ago they were killing each other, what happened to epic battles between powerful nations that required big time strategy? There's not any very moving moments during the story either, yeah there were a few death to good people, but they were people that you just got to know who didn't really help much to make it even seem sad. (except the final death but then he was somewhat of a jerk in the entire series) I am very glad that IV is gona take a step back from III and be more like I and II.
Flame Champion Viktor

89609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden3's story is incredibly awesome best story,best characters,and best Hero ever Geddoe.Suikoden2 is pretty good story wise cept it lags after
Luca Blight is dead (best boss ever)
It stacks up pretty good to 3 suikoden1 however is boring and grainy Viktor is in it so thats good The wars rocked!!Riou was a wuss Tir hardly Talked and Geddoe was perfect in every way
scale
1-Suikoden3
2-Suikoden2
3-Suikoden1
:wink:
Gaius Abruscato

Swordsmen of Morricone

2109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd have to say each time a new Suikoden was made, the character designs (not just art, but background histories and personalities too) got better. Suikoden 3 had the most well-defined personalities of all. In Gensui2, the characters were amazing too. (I liked Nanami, Riou, and Jowy!) In Gensui1, they were good, but not as clear or involved as the others.

However, the story of Gensui 3 was so contrived in comparison to the others. It didn't seem natural. The 3 perspective was a nice idea, but for things to mesh correctly, it felt like a puzzle carefully crafted to be a puzzle, rather than events that just happened in a difficult way that a hero had to work though. If that makes sense. Basicly, I had trouble believing and getting involved in the Gensui3 story. Gensui2 had a far more natural and overwhelmingly moving plot, that I was sucked in in seconds.
Gensui1, again, the plot was good, but the Suikodens to follow just got better.

Music-wise, Gensui2 was by far the best. Gensui1 was also wonderful. Gensui3... I was disapointed. very disapointed. I don't really enjoy listening to the soundtrack for that game at all. It was more ambiance then music a good 50% of the time.

There's another important thing to enjoying a video game, and that's the villains. LucaBlight was a great villain. By the time you start to get sick of his character, you fight him, and instead get an entirely different opponent. Luca and Jowy both created a nice contrast and a good challange over how/who to fight. Gensui3, I found the Luc as a bad guy plot to be... a bit strange. I was highly disppointed by Yuber (who was far too easy to beat), Sarah (who's character as an opponent made me roll my eyes), and Luc who I will always remember from Gensui1 as the annoying know-it-all brat who was only endearing because he was such a cute little twit. (I loved him, but not as a bad guy.) In Gensui1, the villains were well-made. they were challenging, but not overly so. Still, not as memorable for me as Gensui2, but darned good none-the-less!

All in all, I have to say that beyond a doubt Gensui2 was my favorite. Gensui3 and 1 are close in my mind, and I'm not sure which I would call 'better.' they both had their strengths. I think 1 was more innovative, and I give it a lot of credit as the first game in this series, but I liked playing 3 better. (I loved the theatre mini-game! and the characters were so wonderful...) So I guess the order I would put them in would be the following.

1. Gensui2
2. Gensui3
3. Gensui1
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah, that`s one thing I forgot to mention: The character portraits, IMHO, were for the most part absolutely atrocious in S1, but very good in S2 and 3. It`s stunning how much of an improvement they made between S1 and 2. Just compare the two portraits for Luc, or Valeria...

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the original portrait of Flik better, but maybe that's just me.
Gaius Abruscato

Swordsmen of Morricone

2109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked the Gensui 2 & 3 art far more than the art in the first game, but I thought the origional art was lovely too. It just had a very different style, you know? The first game had more of a whispy-watercolor look. Appearances were more vague, and the art style ahd a simplicity to it that was kind of pretty. For the second game, the artist they got used a more crisp and detailed style.
I like crisp, clean art. I really do. Detail is lovely too. It's what I strive for in my art, so I like to see it when other people use it too.

For that reason, I really like art in the second and third instalment. (the gaiden was done by that same artist too.)

The new game went back to the origional artist, did it not? The portraits are very nice. They seem to take a bit of both styles and create a softer, but still detailed image. I'm very impressed by them, and I like what they chose to do.
(I think I still like the gensui2&3 art better, but I can admire things that aren't my fave too.)
GrimmHooke

Mongoose Monarchs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II was my favorite, followed by Suikoden III. II had the best music and plotline, but III had the most character development and emotional content. Plus, less glitches and typos and general dialogue problems make me a happy Grimme. ;3

For me, the problem with III has already been stated: the plot got lost a few times with the multiple-perspective scenerios. Sure, it was neat, but there were times I was just plain sick of playing certain characters. Then, you had to choose the Flame Champion, and my favorite character of the playables wasn't a choice. X___x

Also, III lacked a lot of background music during spots of dialogue. That would've instantly improved those long moments of silence and text boxes.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GrimmHooke wrote:
II had the best music and plotline, but III had the most character development and emotional content.

I don't know. I thought S2 had the most character development but that's just me. It's the best game in the series (so far) but S3 has more replay value. Adding tutors and training centers were the best thing to happen.
Lilly Pendragon

Lilly's Entourage

8472 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's has to be S2 because of the battle music, the characters. there were some glitchs , the biggest was the squriells. the battlefield was the best sorry
TheStrategist

Sentinel 8

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alike tekknopirate, I felt Suikoden 3 was the most addicting, maybe because of the 3d graphics, but majorly because i wanted make the game feel a lot better the 2nd & 3rd time compared tot he first tiem i played it. That's why i liked Suikoden 2 more compared the third because the story lasted a longer, there were more things to do, and it had the overall feel of 'suikoden', that i thought was missing from the third. In that, i mean castle activities, the soundtrack, and most of all, an engaging storyline. I think the best thing about the third game was the cast of characters. I liked nearly every single character, except Guillame, and they were all memorable, unlike the first game how I would forget that I recruited that person because they joined me without any effort on my part. So in comparison of the third game versus the second, i would have to defintely say the second.
It's a harder choice for the first and second game though. I have more respects for the first game, because as a storywriter, it is extremely difficult to start a story in a such a large enviroment with a trememdous past. However, the way that the second game picked up from the first, with all the returning characters and elements of gameplay, Suikoden 2 is definitely in route to being the best in the entire series, IMO. The first two installments were so much alike that they could have been on the same disc. Still, I think I'm going to have to pick Suikoden 2 overall. Mainly because there were a lot of things that I found to be quite odd. For instance, I needed more of a reason for Hero1 to start a rebellion against his own father's army, and killing him. There were just a few too many things left out in the first game compared to the second.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are so many good things to say about each installment. Suiko I has a great storyline and huge battle engine. Suiko II had some killer runes and really good characters that have a lot to offer. Suiko III has the four different story lines on a collision course for each other. If I had to choose between the 3 as to a favorite I would say my fav. is Suikoden III due to the overall diversity.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 1 is my all-time favourite. :P
Tenko Star

3128 Potch
112 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd have to order them as #3 first, then #1, then #2. Generally, if I want to play a Suikoden title, and I don't want to play #3, I'll play #1, then #2 directly after, otherwise I'll play #3. The storyline of #1 and #3 I think are the best. Suikoden II's story is good, but to me, it drags on a bit in places. I've finished #1 and #2 at least 5-6 times, and am currently on my 3rd replay of #3.
Goodspeed87

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

2, just 2...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Piercezoner

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've played all suiko but here's my analysis

Suiko1:Suiko1 would be my 2 because the story was great the features were great and characters were great but very little was but into in-depth such as characters.The castle was great aswell but they could've but in soldiers instead of just the 108 stars,but of course this game was made in 1996

Suiko2:racks up to be my favourite because of many reasons.The plot about politics ,betrayal and two friends fighting for their own belief is one of the best plots I ever seen. The characters all had great personalities and was greatly more known and felt. THe castle was great because it made up of Barracks,dojo's,Grand Hall,just like a real castle and full of people and is exciting to walk around.The minigames ,Cook-off was the best because it was most fun, and the was system seemed really tactical and organized.

Suiko3:least for many good reasons. Suiko 3 was not that great.First I have to say that chapter 1-3 were good and intense,and they were great, but when murayama left, 4-5 really sucked. those chapters were boring, there like "go to the ruins and investigate"..... thats it, no sidequests no nothing, that is why i tend to hate this game at those chapters. The characters were good, only the ones you get from the storyline. THe optionals really were bad because, 1/3 of them were kids that only joined because you did them a favor or they think its fun, 1/3 of them are also weirdos such as Guilamme, Toppo ex. and the rest are alright, but you never got anything else about te character after Ch4,5 which made them practically useless. The thing i liked most was the thomas chapters because that felt like you were trying to help you castle in defending it, and get shops to restore the castle itself, but the Castle wasnt that great. It looked more like a run-down mansion, and the basement was all useless. No one at the resturant and the walls were never repaired which ticks me off. And Caeser was a crappy strategist, he looked drunk and his plans were either retreats or if they could win direct assault
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: