Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

the cut-off age for "little kids"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: the cut-off age for "little kids" Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so here is a nice topic, because of some circumstances I am wondering what is the cut-off for "being a little kid"
what amuses me is one can be 12 years old, can makeout, wear loads of makeup and 'adult panties', and date, and somehow they, when in the right place consider themself like a defencless, innocent "little kid", you know like an eight year old, we all know its wrong to scare eight year olds so its wrong to scare 13 yr olds. (and by scare I mean show them a camera and then they cry in terror like you are going to decapitate them with a chain saw)

also on this note, what age does one be incontroll, aware and responsable for their actions? I'm told that a 13 yr old who shouts sexual messages at you dosen't know any better ("lawl" the're as sentient as a dog then?) or prehaps some think its cute or should be ignored. I know is terrbly wrong for a 26 year old man to shout those things to a 13 yr old, but I don't want to eat other's damn tripe over "daww just ignore it/daww he's young, dosen't know better". so is there a cut-off date for tastless or maybe even threats?
why is it ok for a "little kid" to say things but not me?

I'm sure we all have loads of first hand experances, hypotheitcals and the degredation of todays youth. Back when I was a little kid I played with plastic dinosaurs, not boys, but today little kids play with boys/girls and they are still pure little things, who run around and ask you if you wear thongs and condoms to school.

do you think more grains of salt should be taken to these topics or no? is it really wrong to make a heard of middle schoolers scream in terror with a small camcorder(in 4 years scarry hauted houses will contain phrases like "i'm putting your potty training pictures on myspace").

what do you guys think? have any stories to share? anyone offended that I don't think any "special angels' you know sholnd't be coddled like a starving orphan, just because they are stupid, rude rats?(but she's only 15!!!!!!)

*shrug*
we need some intersting topics anway.
in short, again, "does being a little kid equate age, intellegence or activities, is a little kid no longer little at 10 or when they start dating, so is a dating 10 year old a little kid?"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the cutoff's when you start dating then I'm a "little kid" pushing 23. >_>

I've generally noticed that people start to really become aware of their level of maturity around the age of 14 or 15. I'd say 13 or younger, you're still a kid, not quite upgraded to a teenager. Obviously it varies from individual to individual, but 10-12 is definitely too young, especially in present day society. The examples you sited pretty well support me there. Were 'maturity' defined by the age where you start doing drugs and drinking and being sexually promiscuous, I hope my future kids stay immature little brats for eternity. Maturity is a mental state of awareness, not necessarily apparent in your direct actions.

The difference between a 12 year old and 15 year old running around making dick and fart jokes is the 12 year old does it to be cool and fit in and see astonished looks on adults' faces, without any recognition that he's being 'immature', while the 15 year old fully recognizes how immature it is and, should he choose to do it anyway, has probably at least made that conscious conclusion that 'this is immature, but I'm amused enough by it to do it anyway'.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the term "little kid" is more of a thing of relativity depending on who uses it.

Like for my 70-ish year old grandmother...she still calls my mother "little" in a sense and even though biologically that may be correct (her being the younger sister of one older brother)...to me it still sounds like she's being called a "kid" ...in a sense....

If you ask what I personally think about it though....generally I tend to measure/label someone as being a kid if they seem to display a certain lack of either maturity or intelligence. Age nonwithstanding. That of course is also subject to ones personal judgement as I seem to notice that around where I live the younger generations seem to get more immature...at least in my eyes...yet apparently it seems fine to their parents (otherwise how could this behavior go unnoticed and unpunished by them?)

But putting that point aside...I also think another sign of being a "kid" is not reaching puberty. I mean...face it. Traditionally you aren't considered an adult unless you can biologically have kids of your own and as distorted as it is for some, puberty is when you reach that point.
However, this is just that, a traditional view and due to the fact that the age that one hits puberty seems to vary (especially I hear that more and more young people seem to be hitting it at a younger age nowadays due in part by some chemical environmental factors or something or other :? *doesn't remember the exact explanation* ) This is often forgotten or ignored...specially in terms of a general starting point.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Technically, you stop being a "little kid" once you enter puberty but you are still considered a child until you reach the age of majority, which differs depending on what the state views as the age of majority.

Quote:
why is it ok for a "little kid" to say things but not me?

Well, a child is still developing both physically and emotionally whereas an adult has, for the most part, completed the maturation process and is responsible for his or her actions. Children are considered minors and it is their parents' responsibility to teach them what is right and what is not. I have no doubt that there are likely people who would fall back on the "they're just kids" excuse than acknowledge their own error in teaching their children the proper etiquette.

Quote:
in short, again, "does being a little kid equate age, intellegence or activities, is a little kid no longer little at 10 or when they start dating, so is a dating 10 year old a little kid?"

In the strictest sense, being a little kid is the period before adolescence while the level of someone's intelligence does not factor into the description. A five year old prodigy could have an intelligence which far surpasses that of many adults, but is still a little kid, whereas an adult with the mental development of a six year old is still an adult.

We're all responsible for our actions, but during our childhood we are the responsibility of our parents. So, I would estimate the threshold of being a little kid roughly around the age of 13, where a person becomes an adolescent and the threshold to adulthood roughly around 19. (or whatever age it is that courts will try an individual as an adult)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think all of this really varies from culture to culture. In some cultures the notion of "childhood" is even outside of the common understanding (see Postman, The Disappearance of Childhood).
The notion of what defines a little kid is changing and shrinking, and it's making the lines between acceptable and unacceptable behavior for age and position waver alarmingly.
There is the legal definition, a behavioral definition and a mental/understanding definition.

Someone who is of the age that most people may consider to be that of a child may behave in an "adult" (usually defined as either sexually active/suggestive or overly responsible) manner, while possessing the mental process and understanding of a child, or vice versa. It's very odd.

Now, if you were to ask my relatives at who's old enough to sit at the adult table, it's the married cousins, no matter their age. Never mind the 24 year old degree holding woman who's forced to the children's table because she hasn't yet encumbered herself with a husband. They see me as a child because I am single, and in their eyes I am no different than my vapid, empty-headed 17 year old cousins who can talk of nothing Orlando Bloom and make-up. :roll: One can see that this particular definition needs tweaking. (To be fair they figured out eventually that it made me really upset and rectified the situation, but the fact that it even happened really hurts.)

Anyway, I think I wandered a little off the topic...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gregory House wrote:

We're all responsible for our actions, but during our childhood we are the responsibility of our parents. So, I would estimate the threshold of being a little kid roughly around the age of 13, where a person becomes an adolescent and the threshold to adulthood roughly around 19. (or whatever age it is that courts will try an individual as an adult)

who knows, some people were abohored when I told them this 13 yr old told me he "wanted to eat my Leonardo DiCaprio" clearly hes as in controll of his behavior like an ant is and knows nothing of what he speeks. others agree that he dosen't understand, others tell me 'ignore him'. (yes but if we turned the tables I'd be watched by police for my life)

its just funny to see 10 year olds talking about kissing and dressing like 19 year olds then they start crying they are little kids, but I'm sure they use the oppiste on their parents(that would be ironic)

I have a cousion who, is now posslby 12,when she was 10 she considerd herself a teenager, and not a little kid. she's into makeup and boys and dating, is being adult when you want to attract mates and be romatnily affectioate? if so I didn't grow up till I was 17, like Hiccup said and some others, a bunch of us here might still count as 'stupid widdle kiddos" because we havent't grown out of old habbits, done cultural milestones. Don't know the mentality of some of us here but that could count as well.

well, there are always rude cartoons to be made mocking this situation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure as I guess it really depends on the child. My younger sister doesn't pull that "defenseless little kid" card at all. She's 12 years old and is pretty much an exact carbon copy of me as far as general personality goes, hobbies, etc. (the one's she's legal for, anyway). However, my other sister (17) has some classmates who are whiny, cranky spoiled children who I don't manage to slow down for when I pick up my siblings from school. Guess it depends on how their parents raised them. :|

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone born in the 90s. Seriously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: