Suikoden Unique and Irenic Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How to Survive a Zombie Epidemic.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's already been established by Bub that we're going to be looking at the situation using the rules set-up by George A. Romero in his zombie films. As for the zombies themselves decomposing, that's not a guarantee. I think the fact that a recently dead body has suddenly reanimated and seeking human flesh means that anything goes. Whatever has caused the body to reanimate could also be slowing down the process of decomposition to the point that the body will continue to be mobile and whole for years unless destroyed.

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm tearing up over here, it's like I've found my home...

Once I finish my map of the city from my new home perspective, i'll have to scan it...I'm serious too...I draw maps.
I've actually seen what could pass as a zombie on campus once, I have theories, many many theories.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going global here...it's fun to think about how to survive in a city or metropolis in the US or where ever, but the best course of action is to GTFO as soon as possible. You need to head into the wilds to survive. Why? Because of the same reason people avoid them...they're difficult to navigate through and away from heavy population centers.

The desert. Think about it. People that live in the Sahara are accustomed to a lifestyle of foraging and water saving and getting by with minimal resources. They're in a location, like an oasis, with few other people, but everyone knows how to survive. Hell, they might not even know that the living dead are around for a few months after the outbreak is public because they're so cut-off.

And then the jungle. People that have lived in the jungle their whole lives know all the best routes to take, what animals are deadly, and what trees to climb and sleep in. Most living dead can barely climb, and given their slow speed and clumsy reflexes, would barely be able to move within a thick jngle. You could climb a tree to escape a zombie, and they wouldn't be able to follow you. Of course, the zombie would stay at the bottom of the tree, so you'd have to find a way to rid yourself of him.

Both the desert and the jungle are terrains found in large amounts in several places around the world. The Sahara, the Amazon, the Congo, the Outback...all are areas with few humans living in them (when compared to the rest of the world) and the people there know how to survive. Zombies would take much longer to reach them. And when they did, they'd likely be in small numbers. Figure in that if zombies can sense people they likely have a range to this sensory ability; beyond a certain range they cannot sense if a person is nearby whether it be from scent or some mystical unexplained radar. If a hundred zombies were to wander through the Sahara in random directions from random points, they'd likely never reach a single human until they left the Sahara, despite there being so many in the desert. That's just how big it is, and just how safe the communities are. Plus, a sandstorm can make quick work of a zombie.

And by the time they get even close to a desert oasis, they'd have been baked to death. I understand that zombies don't require water to survive, but heat is heat folks. They can still be dehydrated. Not from a lack of drinking any water, but from the intense heat of the sun drying their bodies out until they become dried husks incapable of movement. Even the living dead need hydration, which I assume they get from eating people.

And in artic-like environments, it is safe(r) as well. The cold will slow the zombies down even more than they already are, and they might even freeze in place if it gets cold enough. And considering how isolated many communties in places like Canada and Russia are, zombies would spread there last. And if you're a hunter or fisherman in the icey north, chances are you know how to survive the cold alone.

What about a cave? It's a dangerous place to live (thats why no one lives in them) but can provide a great hiding place in a pinch. If you've got repelling gear and a lot of light sources, you'll evade any zombie assaults. If you can repel up an underground cliffside, no zombie will have the ability to follow you. I say this because I assume that if a normal human lacks the agility or ability to climb a certain surface, then a zombie surely cannot. Or even better, cross over an underground gap of some kind. Any zombie will just stand there frustrated (or the undead equivalent) or will fall in. You'll need to know if there are other holes into the cave though...otherwise you've just holed yourself up in an unescapable place. Oops.

Oh yeah...how about animals? I'm sure animals can have their uses. If the living dead only eat humans, they'll ignore dogs. I believe they used this idea in the Dawn of the Dead remake. If your dog can be trained to not attack the zombies (not too difficult since they small awful) and, more importanly, tell the difference between the living dead and the still living, he can be used to ferry small supplies between camps of survivors. Only the larger dogs would be useful; small "toy" dogs and things alike beagles and terriers would be far more useless. They simply wouldn't be worth the food and water they consume. Cats could catch rats, but given how disease-ridden rats are likely to be, this would be a last resort for food. But cats are great at finding placs to climb and hide, and and both cats and dogs are likely to sense zombies coming before a human will. You could always eat the dogs and cats when tims get rough.

And horses? They provide fast transportation, and a zombie won't want to eat them (I assume). Of course horses are easily panicked; they're best reserved for those long-distance trips in wide-open areas. They also require constant care and lots of food...keeping one permanently may be a bad idea. But if you happen across a trained riding horse at a farm, ranch, or other similar location don't pass up the opportunity to befriend it. In addition to the speed, being on a horse also elevates you above zombies in height. They can still reach at your feet and grab, but it's better than being on foot. There's also the strong possibility that a group of zombies will attack the horse to get to you, which is why I again suggest horses only for long-distance cross-country trips. Also, I'm sure horses are a good source of meat; they're HUGE athletc creatures. Yummy. Kill one after you're done using it, and have the ability to store the extra meat for later.

Assuming the source of undeath cannot spread beyond humans, then a source of natural water also provides fish. Fish are the best food source imaginable since they're almost infinite in number and easily available as long you can get a good fishing pole or net going.

I think an oil rig is the best option for defense. It's not only in the water, but elevated off the water's surface. Not only can you defend against any zombies, but you could defend against pirates (water raiders, basically). Securing drinking water would be the biggest problem...there would be regular trips to the mainland. And of course you have to not only secure a rig for yourself, but you actually have to know how to find it and where it is. Especially for the return trip with supplies...

And if you find yourself in that terrible situation where you've been bitten/infected/about to die...do the honorable thing. Load up on explosives and march into a cluster of the bastards and blow yourself up. You not only take a large group of them out (maybe more than you ever did before) but you'll also be secure that you aren't returning as a zombie.

Just make sure to give your supplies to another before klling yourself. Suicide bombing an army of zombies may be honorable and all, but don't do it with your good boots and leather armor on, or with your ammuntion and first aid supplies in your backpack. If alone when deciding upon kamikaze, at least placeyour supplies in an obvious location for the next passerby to retrieve and use. Preferabley on top of a car or by the side of a road with a sign.

Damn, that took a long time to type...

^Actual quote!
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only problem with your proposal, Blue Thunder, is that the most of us have never even been to the arctic, a desert, or a jungle. We would have no idea what to do in such extreme conditions. Sure there would be very few zombies, but we would surely die due to lack of knowledge in how to survive in such extreme conditions.

Furthermore, at least for us in the United States, there aren't too many jungles, or arctic regions, or deserts we have access to. We would have to travel far distances to get to places like that. So, in my opinion, it would be pretty fruitless to even try to embrace such horrid conditions such as living in a desert when there are far more manageable and useful places where you can reside and wait out the epidemic (if it ever ends). Islands with room to farm would be perfect, and are much easier to find than deserts or jungles.

I do agree with you about maybe trying to find a cold place to hide out in. That would work well, living in a place that is cold all the time. Zombie would not be able to thrive to well in those conditions, whereas a human could definately manage. Going to remote locations in Canada is much easier to do than finding a jungle, again, and would be a very good place to dwell. That was what Fran wanted to do in Dawn of the Dead. If only they had listened. :cry:

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

These environments aren't really too far. The Grand Canyon and Rocky Mountains provide a nice remote environment away from large populations. And Canada really isn't too far away. And if you survive a trip through Mexico you've got jungle everywhere. And then hop off anywhere from Florida (my home) and you an reach te Caribbean and nearby areas.

And what about Wyoming? Lowest population of any state (I think) and it's got farmland out the bum. Crops shouldn't be a problem.

Being in Florida, I think it would be safest for me to retreat into the nearby Ocala National Forest until I had collected enough supplies, allies, and weapons. Then I'd either trek to the Everglades (it has fresh water, springs, meat sources, and only one main road to worry about) or try to flee via the ocean. I'd only worry that the Everglades is in between Miami and Orlando, making it a possible area of high traffic.

There's always a gun to the head. If you lack enough brain mass, you can't come back as a zombie.

^Actual quote!
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Grand Canyon would not really work, for it doesn't have enough resources to survive for that long. It is basically barren.

The Rocky Mountains could work if you find an easily defended area to call your home (which would be quite easy in a mountainous terrain), a fresh water source (also relatively easy) and enough land to either farm (this would be the hardest part of staying in a mountainous terrain) or a place with a healthy source of game to hunt, or even tame. The only problems with this terrain is that it is hard to move through if you want to escape, and the incliment weather. Mountainous terrain has a very unique and very unreliable weather system. Not to mention rockslides and other natural disasters that could occur.

I figure that the people in Wyoming would be the safest in the United States. Vast terrain, lots of famring and herding land. Not a huge population. A great place to go if you only want a minimal zombie threat.

I would get the hell out of Florida soley because of the smell that would come from that place, especially near the Everglades. A hot, wet environment would do nothing but make the smell of the dead worse. However, if you can handle the smell, the Everglades is a pretty good place to hang out. Many different uninhabited islands with the possibility of hunting and fishing. But again, the Everglades terrain is a very unique terrain, and unless you know the area well, you would have a hard time making a living out there.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jungle and swampy terrain would be a no-no since it's not just the zombies who may lurk beneath waters and murk but the usual dangers associated with the terrain. Even those who do live and used to the Everglades must constantly stay alert for dangers such as gators, water moccassins and even your neighborhood malaria-bearing skeeters.

North of the snowline would be the best thing to head for if not an island or an offshore rig. The only drawback of living in near-arctic weather is that the area will thaw as spring and summer arrives. That means any zombie who might've frozen during the late fall and winter months will thaw and become a hazard once again. But all in all, these extreme regions require that the individual and/or the group knows how to survive for long periods of time in such inclement weather.

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weapons

Using stab-functioning weapons would be useless. Blunt weapons are even more useless. The best weapon you could ever have to confront a zombie is the sharp types, that which would do well in the decapitation of body parts. A katana would be an excellent choice. First off, slice the head. That would prevent infections from a zombie bite, and cause a bit of confusion to the zombie for a while. After that, slice off the arms, and if possible one of the legs. That should be enough to keep it layed down. Focus, for the art of the sword requires patience. Wait for the chance for a critical strike. Never lose you guard, since that woudl result in zombies crowding you and eating you alive. However to note, the power of the blade wouldn't work well against a deadly crod of zombies, and you resort to another weapon for that.

If you've only got a choice of firearms, the best you could have (Aside from the likes of Rocket Launchers, Grenade Launcher, and Bazookas.) is a shotgun. Because if I'm not mistaken, shotguns have a spray effect, and it would be enough to explode things if used at a close range. But do try to remember this: CONSERVE YOUR AMMO. Use every round as if it were the last. Don't waste it, even if you think that you're going to be doomed anyway. Some other guy might pick up the weapon, and he'll need to use it for himself. If you're forced to use a stabby weapon, then use a lance or a spear. Use it in a staking fashion, so that the zombie would be crucified and held at bay for a while. But don't even think about, or bad enough try to kill a zombie with it.

Now, for the final and utmost antepenultimate weapona against zombies. Explosion. For you see, a zombie is only a lump of body. And without the body, then the zombie is no more. Firstly, conserve your explosives. Don't use them to fight against the zombies in early times. What you have to do, is gather many flamabble liquids, and only use a little of explosives. Don't just throw you dynamite recklessly. set it up in a
covered, or wide open area, and use a detonator if possible. If you don't have a detonator, lure the zombies into the selected place, and trap them into a hole or something, then kablammy them. Make sure you don't get any zombie waste on you, though. And that's all for the weapons.

Hiding and Escaping[/b

As long as there is land, there will be zombies. First off, the best thing you can get as bait are animals. Well, live, animals. They can also act as couriers in desperate times. Don't use a Jeep. Use an Elephant or something. Never sacrifice heavy vechiles that are the bulletproof type for detonation. Use a motorcycle. When in hiding, always stay together. Never let anyone out of sight. Tall buildings are good. Make sure to keep it well closed, but well-supplied with air ventilation, watch points, and basic facilities you need in everyday life. Make sure that you've closed every possible route from the zombies to your place, and still keep an escape route that only you- the well and alive human could use. Something like a parachute line. Take the time you have to rest and gain peak condition. Be wary, but don't panic. Panicking would only take you out of your safe time. If the zombies should ever infiltrate your place, you have two options.

a. Destroy place along with zombies.
b. Save the place for another day and another time.

Both are beneficial, but it's up to the situation. It's all about the resolve.

Now, to escape. The zombies would be out looking for you, and they will be there to make sure you don't escape. As long as there is land, tehre will be zombies. Zombies, as they are bodies, means that they can float on water. So the best option? Fly, baby. Just make sure you make your exit a bang, and keep the plane/air balloon/ufo thingy zombie-free. Now, where to escape to?

a. If the situation is zombies take over the world, then just go anywhere you can stay alive long enough to build a new civilization. Whether in frozen lands, lost remote islands, or scorching deserts, guard humanity's existence in time and amass enough power for you to start a zombie sweep. Do it guerrila. Or just go to space.

b. If the situation is zombies take over town, go to the safest place you bet there aren't any zombies, or places where you think zombie-counteroffesives have taken place. Like capital cities or such. But again, in both situations remote places are good.

[b]Things To Keep in Mind

Be resourceful. If you don't got the stuff, then make it.
Stay as a team. Teamwork is crucial, and you cannot manage to stay alive without the help of others.
Keep your focus, and stay calm. If you hear zombie sounds from your back, don't look. That will only make you get zombitten. Just run ahead, and don't ever panic. Panicking will make you weary. If you're tired, just take a rest, walk, and think. Zombies are slow, and the only reason people alwyas get killed by them is either because of being ganged up, sneak attacked, or because the person was an idiot. If a zombie shows up on both sides of the road, take the other side. There's almost always a way out of the situation. People just don't think about it enough.
Stay optimisstic. Or- better not, just let one person stay pessimistic. That way you've got one willing zombie bait.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still think that a sword, or a katana is a really bad idea. You may have delusions of grandeur with the katana, thinking you are some bad arse samurai or something, but a blade dulls very quickly, and most people aren't strong enough to slice through bone, especially something as thick as an arm bone.

I have no idea why you would think that blunt weapons are the least useful in the melee weapons you categorized, since blunt weapons do not need sharpening, are easy to swing (in that even the most amateur of weapon users), and are very effective in collapsing a skull and killing the brain. Not to mention, unlike the katana, a blunt weapon would not get stuck in a body. A katana can easily get stuck in a bone or hard tinew.

Furthermore, a shotgun is a horrible choice, as long as you are in a populated area. A shotgun is probably one of the loudest, if not the loudest weapon you can use against the undead hordes. Noise brings more threat, both undead and living. Scatther shot, like you said, is not a powerful artillery. The scattering of the "bullets" make it harder when it comes to precision (which is more important than power, in my opinion), and the power in general may not be strong enough to get through bone.

I guess this is my opinion...but I am basically a doctor in zombie. :D :wink:

Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
I still think that a sword, or a katana is a really bad idea. You may have delusions of grandeur with the katana, thinking you are some bad butt samurai or something, but a blade dulls very quickly, and most people aren't strong enough to slice through bone, especially something as thick as an arm bone.

Well in the case of zombies a quick decapitation is easiest and most zombies due tend to have much weaker flesh and bones because of whatever is effecting them

Quote:
I have no idea why you would think that blunt weapons are the least useful in the melee weapons you categorized, since blunt weapons do not need sharpening, are easy to swing (in that even the most amateur of weapon users), and are very effective in collapsing a skull and killing the brain. Not to mention, unlike the katana, a blunt weapon would not get stuck in a body. A katana can easily get stuck in a bone or hard tinew.

It's also much more likely that a zombie can survive a blunt blow compared to a sharp blow. A blunt weapon can also lose it's swing power much faster and the larger ones which could crush in skulls with little effort are too heavy to swing fast enough to get you out of a surronded situation. Also it's much easier for blunt weapons to not get the instant headshot compared to sharp since in the case of sharp the straight down the middle completely stops the zombie, blunt can't do that witout multiple swings and can leave the zombie alive, or whatever.

Quote:
Furthermore, a shotgun is a horrible choice, as long as you are in a populated area. A shotgun is probably one of the loudest, if not the loudest weapon you can use against the undead hordes. Noise brings more threat, both undead and living. Scatther shot, like you said, is not a powerful artillery. The scattering of the "bullets" make it harder when it comes to precision (which is more important than power, in my opinion), and the power in general may not be strong enough to get through bone.

That's why it should be used in chokepoints or "screw it we're all dead take as many of them with me as I can" situations.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Well in the case of zombies a quick decapitation is easiest and most zombies due tend to have much weaker flesh and bones because of whatever is effecting them

Do bones deteriorate? I am pretty sure that they do not, but I may be mistaken. If they don't, then what you say is a moot point. You also have to realize that you really do not have to kill a zombie; you just have to escape. With a blunt weapon, it is far easier to knock them over, thus making them incapacitated to attack you. You can easily get around slow moving zombies by a quick shot to the head or a vital spot that can knock them over, and a blunt weapon is the best weapon to do this.

This also answeres your second paragraph. Again, you don't have to kill the zombie to get it out of the way. And again, do you realize how hard it is to take a sharp object like a sword and slice it through bone, not to mention multiple layers of bone, as in to go through a skull?

Again, if you are in a sticky situation where you cannot stop and sharpen your blade, your sword will quickly lose its usefullness. This will be a problem after a very short time, and it not a problem with blunt weapons. A good thick bat is perfect. No need to sharpen, and easy to knock a person over.

Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, we could go "Shaun of the Dead" style and bust out some cricket bats. Of course, I am more of a nine-iron kind of guy.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I hope none of ya'll are taking any pointers from Shaun of the Dead...

What would I do?

A. Take my frickin' 12 and hunt wolverines, I mean zombies, yeah, zombies...

B. Pop myself in the head. I mean come on: What chance in hell would I have against wolver- I mean zombies.

C. Find a suitable corner, get into the fetal position and cry until it all ends.

(probably option C)

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:

Do bones deteriorate? I am pretty sure that they do not, but I may be mistaken. If they don't, then what you say is a moot point. You also have to realize that you really do not have to kill a zombie; you just have to escape. With a blunt weapon, it is far easier to knock them over, thus making them incapacitated to attack you. You can easily get around slow moving zombies by a quick shot to the head or a vital spot that can knock them over, and a blunt weapon is the best weapon to do this.

The fact is we don't know what happens to a zombies organs and such when they become one, but other the a fanatical need to eat they are always much weaker and britle in any known form from what we know. If it was a situation where just knocking them over would work then blunt is better, but overall if a zombie does get that close then something's going wrong or you rushed up to them which is never smart. All in all though a gun is a better bet the melee anyday though as longs as you have ammo.

[quote[This also answeres your second paragraph. Again, you don't have to kill the zombie to get it out of the way. And again, do you realize how hard it is to take a sharp object like a sword and slice it through bone, not to mention multiple layers of bone, as in to go through a skull?[/quote]

Not that hard for me.

Quote:
Again, if you are in a sticky situation where you cannot stop and sharpen your blade, your sword will quickly lose its usefullness. This will be a problem after a very short time, and it not a problem with blunt weapons. A good thick bat is perfect. No need to sharpen, and easy to knock a person over.

Bats tend to start bending when you use them to bash things, wooden or otherwise. And as long as a blade's tip is sharp you can go for a pierce. A blade can also be used as a really bad saw if you need it to be say you need to cut through the chains on a poorly padlocked fence.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Quote:
This also answeres your second paragraph. Again, you don't have to kill the zombie to get it out of the way. And again, do you realize how hard it is to take a sharp object like a sword and slice it through bone, not to mention multiple layers of bone, as in to go through a skull?

Not that hard for me.

So you are claiming that you have easily cut through a human skull with a sword?

Quote:
Bats tend to start bending when you use them to bash things, wooden or otherwise. And as long as a blade's tip is sharp you can go for a pierce.

You'd have to pierce it throguh the eye to have an effectiveness, which would be incredibly hard. Any other section of the head would probably not get through the skull to get to the brain. Also, consindering they are moving at you in groups, and going through the eye requires a good amount of precision, it'd be hard to line that up. Thirdly, if you did get it thoguh the eye and into the brain, the sword would probably break when trying to get it out, or get stuck inside the person's head, meaning you wouldn't have use of it later.

Bats can bend, but you can still crush a skull with a bent bat.'

Quote:

The fact is we don't know what happens to a zombies organs and such when they become one, but other the a fanatical need to eat they are always much weaker and britle in any known form from what we know.

If we aer going from the George Romero world, which I believe has been stated a few times, then we can go from the insights of the crazy scientist in Day of the Dead, who kept zombies 'alive' to test just how their bodies worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: