Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How to Survive a Zombie Epidemic.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metallingus

Grandchildren of the Runes

30829 Potch
49 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, yeah. Army of Darkness reference :D Agreed though, chainsaws aren't really the best choice for an outing with the evil dead. I just used it to stress that katana are a really bad choice. In the end, axes and blunts are by far the best choice, I would think. Mmm... sledgehammer. Given the limited resources available during a zombie apocalypse, I'd imagine that the only problem you'd have with either is shaft breakage.

Though for crowds, a revved up chainsaw would be good. :D What makes it so hard to pick a single weapon is the unpredictability of the situation. There's definitely no guarantee that you won't be engaging in CQC, so you need something for melee. Unfortunately, chances are, you'll run into a group of zeds sooner or later. Then again, the unpredictability of the situation is what makes speculation fun. :D

To make things clear, are we talking about the stereotypical c. 1970-1980 Romero zombies (slow and stupid) or the modern Romero zombies (near-human intelligence and reflexes)?
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think basically the canon zombie is the Romero zombie from Night, Dawn, and Day. Land of the Dead doesn't count...because it sucked. :D But even those zombies were pretty slow and shambling. I don't think they could do cartwheels or anything. And they weren't close to human intelligence, but they were way smarter than before.

So...slow, shambling. Sometimes blue. Most have little to no intelligence. Shoot the brain, kill the zombie. Afraid of fire. You know...zombies. :D

And even in crowds, I wouldn't use a chainsaw. The gore factor it would create could prove hazardous to your health (risk of infection). Furthermore...the chainsaw is too slow in cutting through things. And the noise factor would just make the crowd larger.

I also wouldn't use a sledgehammer. Way too heavy. It would definitely pack a punch, but swinging a sledgehammer will wear you out quicker than, let's say...a shovel. I honestly think a shovel would be one of the best weapons. Longer range. Good impact. Durable. Good item to have.

Metallingus

30829 Potch
49 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Snap, I made the mistake of thinking that the remake of Dawn was by Romero. My bad. XD Though yeah, my saying that the zeds in modern flicks have near-human intelligence is a gross overstatement, now that I think about it. :D

I never thought about the chainsaw that way. I guess it isn't such a practical device after all. Shovels are good, I agree with that. I guess they're also better than sledges in the sense that they'd be more abundant and as already mentioned, can double as an edged weapon.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Plus, if you are a good-moralled religious man,
you can bury the dead zombies when you are done taking them out. :D

I wouldn't. :twisted:

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think people with a good head on their shoulders will be able to survive the first couple weeks well enough as long as they have the supplies to either stay put in a well defended place or constantly on the move. One thing I've noticed that hasn't been said is whether their time trying to survive will include finding a way to get to loved ones and family.

There's going to be some who are already living at home so that need to find family members and save them will have not much to worry about. But what about those here who are going to school far from home or who have moved out already. There's also those who may have been traveling when everything starts to happen.

Are people going to survive on their own or with a group of strangers or will they take the slim chance that their family or loved ones are still alive and try to get to them? I think that factor is a rather big one since its not guaranteed family and loved ones haven't already been killed, or worse been turned.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always kind of chuckle when I hear the "gung-ho" people talk about surviving the zombie apocalypse. Everyday Joes that say they wouldn't hesitate putting a bullet in the brain of a loved one or best friend if they are bit or scratched. Or how they say they will be a loner because other people will get them killed.

Come on. The dead lose their humanity, but the living shouldn't.

I really don't think it would be as easy as people seem to think, killing a living (but infected) family member. Hell, it wouldn't be easy when they are dead, either. People can't grasp the feelings that will be going through them if that were to ever happen.

Luckily, at the moment, I am living with my parents. However, my sister lives in the city (Chicago). Depending on how fast the uprising of the living dead occurs, even if I wanted to go save my sister, doing so would be virtually impossible. I would still probably try, though...as irrational as that sounds. But, if I didn't, I'd lose my humanity (at least I would feel like I did), and what is there left to fight for?

Metallingus

30829 Potch
49 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, I definitely wouldn't waste time in burying the undead. If things go well, maybe the others would feed on him for a bit, buy me some time to get away. :twisted:

I'm definitely trying to get to my family. Assuming that communication would be cut off, I'd still take the risk. If they've been turned, well, better that I'd be the one to put them down rather than anyone else. In that case, having a shovel would be good after all.

As for being in large groups, holed up somewhere... I dunno. It doesn't work well. There always tends to be some dissent within the group, since no one really wants to establish a hierarchy but can't co-exist without one. In a large group, there's always someone bound to be dissatisfied when it comes to the amount of rations given to him, and try to take more and as a result, hurt the overall harmony within the group. Of course, having people working together is a different story. If disturbances can be put down easily then by all means, I'd work with the group.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zombies don't feed on zombies, so that is right out. However, keeping them unburied might mask your human smell...so that could be a plus!

A larger group can work if you are choosey with the group, which I would figure is going to be hard to do. But if you are able to hash out a unit of people you know and trust, who have their heads firmly on their shoulders, and have unique and important skills that can help you out in such a hellish world...it can definitely work.

Maybe not a huuuuge group, especially in the initial uprising, as it will be very hectic...but a small group of about 5-7 would be feasable. Just don't get anyone that buckles under pressure easily or likes to scream when they are frightened.

Do any of you have multiple contingency plans depending on where you are when the zombie apocalypse occurs? Having a home contingency plan, a work contingency plan, etc.?

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My home contingency plan is pretty much none since my home is located in a heavily populated suburb. It's a housing community but not one that has large, tall walls and a sturdy gate. Those housing communities I would assume would be pretty good if everyone worked for the greater good of the neighborhood. My contingency plans is to stock up as much supplies and fortify the home. It won't be a permanent solution but long enough for the initial chaos and anarchy to die down. By then those who don't know how to survive will have become food or just killed which just leaves the zombies to deal with.

It's actually the people still alive during the initial outbreak who would be more dangerous than the zombies. With zombies their motivations are pretty simple. They want to eat and eat only human flesh. Other living people on the other hand may not have your best interest in mind. They may want your vehicle, gas, supplies and weapons. If you're a female or have one in your group they may want her as well. As Katrina and a lot of major disaster events have shown there's a tendency for a sizable percentage of the population to revert back to their more base instinct.

Once all the crazies have been culled or dealing with their own need to stay alive then it would be time to leave the house and make it to the countryside. At least try to make it outside the metropolitan areas where the largest concentration of zombies would be milling about.

If things began while I was at work I would assume things would still be in the slow-burning stage that roads and transportation arteries will still be open. I work close enough to my brother that calling him when the first report of unexplained violence would be easy enough to do. He's also knowledgable of how to survive such a event so convincing him that the outbreak has finally begun won't be too difficult.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
With zombies their motivations are pretty simple. They want to eat and eat only human flesh.

They actually eat any flesh, as long as it is warm. In Night, you saw a zombie eat a bug. In the Night Remake, you see a zombie eat a mouse. You never see too many instances of zombies eating anything other than humans, because humans are the easiest to catch. But if a zombie managed to catch a living animal, he would eat the animal as well.

My work contingency plan is a lot more difficult than my home one, since I work in Chicago. Depending on how fast the uprising occurs, I think it would be a lot harder to stay alive if I was stuck in the city.

Zangetsu

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I'm currently forming a plan. I've got this book to help me out. They way I see it, when the zombies attack, generally they are slow right? If thats the case I carry a .45 with me in my truck almost all the time, so not matter where im at I should have enough bullets to survive until I can get to my home where I could hold up for days. I have lots of ammo and ramen there.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Metallingus wrote:

Zombies do (rather, will) float. For all intents and purposes, they're dead, and they emit natural gases brought about by bodily decomposition. This being the case, the gases brought about by decomposing organs remain trapped inside the body, allowing them to float. To give credence to the idea, bodies found in bodies of water are found after they've decomposed, which is why missing people found dead are found days, even weeks after they've been dumped into the water.

Ah, but there's where you're mistaken. You're trying to compare a zombie, which is brought about due to a virus, to a dead body. The nature of the zombie is such that most of the bacteria and such which cause the gases and the bloating in a normal human body, cannot survive in the zombie's biology. Now, this isn't to say that all bacteria cannot, since we do know that over time the zombie will decompose. However, this process is greatly slowed, and as such any buildup of gas would be much too slow to provide adequate flotation for the zombie. This is why the greatest threat on water is getting in to shallower waters where zombies standing on the bottom can reach up and grab an unsuspecting victim.

~Uguu!~
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have to disagree with you, Sailor. Since when did the biology of a zombie change from that of a normal human? It is a human host still, and effects such as gas still remain, especially if the zombie has had food (raw flesh) gas will build up and cause the zombie's stomach to eventually explode. This really does nothing to the zombie, since the stomach doesn't work anyways...but that's what would happen.

Plus I didn't know bacteria causes gas. I do know that decomposing meat will produce gas, and in a stomach that isn't working, the gas will build up to critical levels.

However, some gas will still escape, just by movement. I am unsure as to whether or not zombie will float, since, when in water, I am sure they will be flailing around, trying to get out. This will probably release some of the gas in the body.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor is going by some of the information released by the greatest zombie researcher there is and that's Max Brooks.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Brooks. I really do. But I don't take what he says as dogma. I mean...his book has helped thousands (maybe millions) learn to do what should be done in an epidemic...but Romero is the man, and when I hear that zombies somehow disperse gas from whatever bacteria is in them, then I will listen.

Brooks himself has said that he is but a messenger, and that what Romero says, goes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: