Suikoden United and Infamous Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bans, the end of a livlyhood
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're correct Bub in that there's no such thing as a Federal smoking ban. At the moment only a specific number of states and, to a larger degree, cities and counties have voted in and enacted a form of smoking ban in public places and businesses. I remember when California voted in and enacted a smoking ban in restaurants and bars in 1998. I'd say it was a major inconvenience for alot of smokers and businesses. But both adapted to the new regulations and businesses continued on.

As a cigar aficionado I was really inconvenienced in where I could smoke when out on the town with friends. Some enterprising people decided to open up cigar bars and lounges where membership was required to join and the only employees on-site were the owners and managers. We could smoke to our hearts content. What really screwed over the businesses wasn't the ban on smoking in public places and places of business but a few years later when the tax on tobacco went up by a large margin. The tax became so high that to buy a pack of cigarettes means paying 5 dollars or more for a pack. Cigars I used to be able to buy for 5-10 per stick went up to 8/9-20 per stick. Now that would slow down business and smoking more than any ban ever could.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You're correct Bub in that there's no such thing as a Federal smoking ban. At the moment only a specific number of states and, to a larger degree, cities and counties have voted in and enacted a form of smoking ban in public places and businesses. I remember when California voted in and enacted a smoking ban in restaurants and bars in 1998. I'd say it was a major inconvenience for alot of smokers and businesses. But both adapted to the new regulations and businesses continued on.

As a cigar aficionado I was really inconvenienced in where I could smoke when out on the town with friends. Some enterprising people decided to open up cigar bars and lounges where membership was required to join and the only employees on-site were the owners and managers. We could smoke to our hearts content. What really screwed over the businesses wasn't the ban on smoking in public places and places of business but a few years later when the tax on tobacco went up by a large margin. The tax became so high that to buy a pack of cigarettes means paying 5 dollars or more for a pack. Cigars I used to be able to buy for 5-10 per stick went up to 8/9-20 per stick. Now that would slow down business and smoking more than any ban ever could.

I didn't know that California voted that ban in so long ago. I know New York has it, and I am ashamed to say that I do not know if Illinois has it or not, being that I live there. I am pretty sure it is not in effect, however, because most of the time I am in Chicago, I am pretty sure I see people smoking inside. I may be wrong though.

Personally, as a non-smoker, and as a person who does not understand taking up smoking, I can see why the government has put such a high tax on tobacco. Morally, it is trying to get people off of the bad habit but making it an even more expensive habit than what it was before. But no government ever helps out morally, I would say they did so probably because it would be so lucrative to put more and more tax on tobacco. Addicts will keep buying, and the government will keep on making more and more money.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, California was the first state to vote in and create such a ban on smoking in bars and restaurants. The ban on smoking in public places, especially local and state government buildings didn't happen until a year or so later. I know some counties and cities in California has banned people from congregating outside their building to smoke since it constituted smoking in a public place. But despite all those different types of bans smokers still find a way to feed their habits day in and day out. I don't really care for or against the bans since my tobacco habit was expensive to begin with before all the tobacco tax increases.

Whenever I lit up a cigar in the past it was like lighting up a whole pack of cigarettes in terms of cost. Now its even worst with most cigars really selling for high prices. The only thing I'm glad about was that the fad of smoking cigars created by all the dot-commers who got rch quickly has died away and now prices have stabilized since only real fans of cigars are buying them.

If I wanted to light a cigar up I'd do it at home while having a nice drink and watching a movie or reading a book. If I was out with friends, there's enough places that allow smoking within its premises that I don't worry about breaking any smoking ordnances.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Whenever I lit up a cigar in the past it was like lighting up a whole pack of cigarettes in terms of cost. Now its even worst with most cigars really selling for high prices. The only thing I'm glad about was that the fad of smoking cigars created by all the dot-commers who got rch quickly has died away and now prices have stabilized since only real fans of cigars are buying them.

However, it seems like cigar smokers such as yourself smoke a lot less frequently than cigarette smokers. Also, it seems like people that smoke cigars do not smoke the whole cigar in one sitting, they smoke it in two or three sessions. Especially when it is a good, tightly wrapped cigar.

I would rather smell like cigar smoke than cigarette smoke anyday of the week. Being the somewhat young and still thinking I am immortal guy I am, I care more about the nasty smell I get from bars that allow smoking than the second-hand smoke I get. So I really wouldn't mind if cigar smoking was still allowed, since it's a nice smell. However, I am not thinking in tune with the majority of people here :D

Heck, I live in Saint Louis at the moment, a place where they still have cigarette machines. An 8 year old can walk up and buy cigarettes!

Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I look at bans from an economic point of view. The bans may decrease income in the short run(becouse of less smokers) but it is highly plausable that business will pick up becouse people who dont smoke would go to these kinds of bars. Also there is the issue of "Health cost". The bar owners may be lossing money but think of the benifit for people who don't smoke. People who dont smoke(but are force to inhale second hand smoke while in bars) will possibly save on medical bills. The bar owners loss is the non-smoking patrons gain(which might be considerably higher on a dollar for dollar basis).

Governments have a right to ban and sometimes control the way business operate. If they didn't there might be terrible consequences to pay. Besides who do you think will have to foot the medical bill of these smokers after twenty years of smoking? Thus it is in the governments best interest to ween people off from smoking.

A cynic would probable say the reason governments have high taxes on tabacco products is to earn more money. This may be true however the reason for this would be to offset the cost of smoking. Another good reason for this would be to dissuade people from smoking and PREVENT non-smokers from starting the habit.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Another good reason for this would be to dissuade people from smoking and PREVENT non-smokers from starting the habit

From what I understand, that is THE reason.

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to lie, I am a nonsmoker and I don't really mind smoking that much. Given that people aren't blowing smoke down my throat, I can ignore it quite easily.

Having said that, the ban will not deter people from starting to smoke. The age that people usually start smoking is at a rather young one, before they are old enough to realize what a terrible and foolish mistake that they are making. That means that the ban of smoking in restaurants and pubs would hardly apply to them. A lot of them are smoking in secret and trying to hide it from their parents. That or their parents don't care.

Then again, I live in Kentucky and tobacco products are dirt cheap here when compared to other places.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Quote:

Another good reason for this would be to dissuade people from smoking and PREVENT non-smokers from starting the habit

From what I understand, that is THE reason.

What i meant was it was another good reason beside generating the government bucket loads of cash
Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I consider education to be the best way to dissuade people from smoking. I was lucky enough to have gone through a D.A.R.E. program that was instituted in my state and has since been dissolved. I can't remember what D.A.R.E. stood for but for a week in elementary school they came and educated us about the negative side-effects of smoking. In retrospect I consider it to be one of the top five things they taught me K-5. This has effected me much more than the cost of smoking raising or lowering becuase I know that even though smoking might hurt me economically, it will always hurt me physically.

Yvl, I'm just trying to remember, what were Jefferson's views about this. I can half-way remember but it just isn't coming to me. Weren't they similar to what youself and Rune hunter are talking about?
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Washington now has the ban... not only that, but you can't smoke within 25 feet of the entrance to any public building. Now, that wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that the law says that entrances to any restaurant or bar are also public buildings, which means you could get ticketed for walking down the street if you happen to smoke.

I don't smoke and wouldn't, and I generally think smoking is a bad idea, but I get more than a little irritated when my government decides what is right for me without consulting me first. I know how the democratic process is supposed to work... but lately, it doesn't. This is just one small part of a larger problem.

No, I'm not gonna get into a long political rant here, though I'd kinda like to--just thought I'd give some recent info about another of the US states.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't smoke and wouldn't, and I generally think smoking is a bad idea, but I get more than a little irritated when my government decides what is right for me without consulting me first. I know how the democratic process is supposed to work... but lately, it doesn't. This is just one small part of a larger problem.

I am sure they did consult the state about it numerous times before they came to that conclusion. Usually they don't just vote that in on a whim. It was probably on the news, or on their website for easy reading. You just have to look for it.

And I think it would be a little hard to have to consult you for every matter :D If it really bothers you, then become informed. Watch the local news for matters like this and take action if you want. Like I said, I am sure that it was a publicly noded bill, especially for something as newsworthy as this.

I had a friend from Massachusetts in last night who is a smoker. He was very excited that he was allowed to smoke in the bar we went to. He was flabbergasted when I showed him that we even still have cigarette machines; something he hasn't seen since childhood.

Yes, Missouri is a blast from the past for most of the United States :D

Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:

I am sure they did consult the state about it numerous times before they came to that conclusion. Usually they don't just vote that in on a whim. It was probably on the news, or on their website for easy reading. You just have to look for it.

And I think it would be a little hard to have to consult you for every matter :D If it really bothers you, then become informed. Watch the local news for matters like this and take action if you want. Like I said, I am sure that it was a publicly noded bill, especially for something as newsworthy as this.

Well, it was in the news. And I am somewhat informed about things like this... I still stand by my statement that the democratic process doesn't work the way it should, especially in my state, beacuse of various underhanded dealings I know for a fact have happened. Like, why is it that they are supposedly so hardcore on meth labs that they won't let anybody have any pseudoephedrine without an ID anymore, taking lots of it off the shelves, even though only a small percentage of over the counter drugs really makes it into meth labs? Yet, the pusher down my street goes free while my friends get harassed for minor offenses? And more and more freedoms are being taken away because it's 'good for me?' Anyway, it's my own vendetta and now I'll be nice.

Yeah, I agree that the gov'mint would have a hard time consulting li'l ole me about everything, but they should! Don't they know I know everything? Just kidding. Still, my state is run by special interest groups that have more money than members and frequently steamroll over dissenters that outnumber them.

Back to the original subject of the thread though, I have seen people hurt by bans... but it's usually a mixed bag. Sometimes the bans are helpful, like when fishermen are told not to fish. That hurts the fisthermen, but they would be hurt even more if there were no fish to catch in the future...

Meanwhile, there are often many issues and causes present that a single ban won't cover. An example is the ban on salmon fishing by non tribal members that happens fairly frequently in my state. Now, that may be part of the solution but another part which is not thought of is the rise in the Caspian Tern population. This bird feeds off of young salmon and makes severe inroads in the population. Same with harbor seals, they eat salmon too, and their natural predators are dwindling. It's all a circle and too frequently lawmakers don't look at all causes to a problem, but make a simplistic law and wash their hands of the subject.

I agree with you that it's important to keep informed. I would add, however, that it's also very important to be sure of your sources.[/u]

1031726 Potch
422 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

California's had it for awhile... but all that means is whenever you want to go into a restaurant (or into the outside patio-area of a club, for instance) you'll be walking through the "smoke line" where people seem to be smoking all the time (at least whenever I show up).

Patio-areas are cool... especially when you just wanna chill... and remember, just because someone is smoking doesn't mean you have to stand near them... I don't really see the point of banning it completely from buildings... I mean, people will still smoke if it really "turns their crank", if you know what I mean.

Nikea- "Want to see my super duper special moves?"
Me- "No, shut up and dance, bitch."
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Yvl, I'm just trying to remember, what were Jefferson's views about this. I can half-way remember but it just isn't coming to me. Weren't they similar to what youself and Rune hunter are talking about?

I'm pretty sure it was, as I said, that in order to control a substance, the best way is to tax it. I heard it paraphrased from a teacher with ADHD though so don't quote me on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: