Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bans, the end of a livlyhood
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Bans, the end of a livlyhood Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ok, I know, I'm making a new topic. but we need more topics that aren't "which city do you want to live in" or what have you.

My mom's friend normaly has jobs in resturants or bars, she used to be able to make $100 in TIPS, but now that the smoking ban is instilled, she now makes $10 or even one. My mom is now thinking of writing in asking to get rid of the ban, her friend's livly hood is now destroyed. People would come to dinner, drink, smoke, drink, some, desert, meet friends and smoke. But now, people come in, have one drink and some food and go home.

Now here I am, having to listen to lines like "people have a choise not to go out to eat where there are smokers". -I- don't, I'm sensitive, even the smell of 10 people smelling of ciggerits makes me unhappy. I cannot ignore the stench and walk away, or sit there loving them and having a giant "happy anime smile face" in my soul. If I'm pal-ing around with my mom, and she goes to see her friend in one of these joints, I'm not going to be to happy.

Bans also destroy other livly hoods, Fishermen who live in some parts of the world cannot make a living because "the big man" says "No, there isn't enough cod for everyone, no cod for you", said cod wound up being a subspecies of non-migartory animals, in the end, these people who, for generations fished were able to do so.

so here is our topic, "was it a wise idea, a kind idea to ban somthing? considering that somone's life wound up being destroyed in the process" Does anyone here think that some bans were nessessary? should we allow people to smoke in bars, clubs and resturants again, if someone is no longer a fresh young 23 year old with a husband, and she needs those tips?

If a bunch of people had fished for generations and no longer can, is that a bit ego, ethno centric or does it reak of corpraite greed?

have any other stories to share?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A smoking ban was brought into effect here in Ireland for over two years now, on the 29th of March 2004. There were plenty of people ignoring it, and challenging it, using the same old excuses all the time. "They're my own lungs. I can smoke if I want!" and "I have a right to smoke!" are prominent examples.

We were told that livelihoods would be destroyed. "People will go to Northern Ireland to drink, they will! Pubs will lose business and close up due to this!" What happened? Business was affected in some places for a month or two, but they came back in their droves. Not only that, but people who never went out to pubs and restaurants because of the smoke.

Some things should be banned, no matter the cost. The choice of what does get banned and what doesn't is simple. If it's for the greater good, like factories that make life-saving drugs, it should stay. However, there'll always be those who contest it. Perhaps the factory emits a lot of pollution, and is affecting the area. What is more important? The local area is affected negatively, but people all over the world benefit.

What is unpleasant for one person is pleasant for another. What matters is that the majority gain their desire, and the other copes.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

What is unpleasant for one person is pleasant for another.

Nobody in the long run finds smoking pleseant. That's why I can't figure out why people still complain about smoking restrictions other than that they either dont know what cigarettes actually are or that they just need something to bitch about.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want to know where you live where no one goes and gets drunk in a bar because they can't smoke in the bar anymore. That's what legs are for...you go out of the bar, smoke, and come back in.

Going from 100 bucks in tips to 10 sounds a bit over-the-top (you know, like that Acadamy award winning movie starring Stallone and that creepy, annoying kid :shock: ), but if it is the case, it just sounds like people having a fit over the ban.

People like to drink and socialize. They will come back.

I don't see what all the hooplah is about the ban. You are still able to smoke outside, which is not too far away from where people sit to drink. Hell, think of it as exercise...you benefit yourself with losing a few calories with the walking...so reward yourself with a cigarette :P

I really think that this ban is being blown out of proportion.

Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Admittedly, I once thought it was stupid to ban smoking in bars, mainly because I had associated bars with a thick, purplish haze. However, after a recent trip to New York, a state that has the ban in effect, and being in a smoke-free bar, I must say I was quite happy to be waking up the next morning after a bender and just have a headache instead of a headache and being stuffed up.

I don't buy that the smoking ban is the reason the tips went from $100 to $10. Not at all. The smokers know that if they want to drink and smoke, it's only a matter of stepping outside, so there's obviously another reason.

~Uguu!~
Swish

3rd H.C. Regiment "Plague"

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
I don't see what all the hooplah is about the ban. You are still able to smoke outside, which is not too far away from where people sit to drink. Hell, think of it as exercise...you benefit yourself with losing a few calories with the walking...so reward yourself with a cigarette

Sailor Sexy wrote:
I don't buy that the smoking ban is the reason the tips went from $100 to $10. Not at all. The smokers know that if they want to drink and smoke, it's only a matter of stepping outside, so there's obviously another reason.

In states like New York, Forida, Colorado, and California, the smoking bans aren't actually bans. Yes, cigarettes are not aloud to be smoked in restaurants and such, but for the most part, bars get to choose. The laws include amendments that say if an establishment makes $X amount (its $100k in Colorado, while it's $150k in Florida, i'm not certain about New York or California) over the course of a year in Alcohol sales, the establishment is excempt from the smoking ban, and can essentially choose if it allows smokers or not.

The reason why it was done, was due to the concern for businesses possibly losing business. Take clubs and strip clubs, for instance (and a few of the "high end" bars). They charge cover charges. Now most of the smaller ones are willing to let you back in without having to repay, but in most large club establishments, there are just too many people coming in and going out to keep track. If a person has to go outside to smoke (and a GOOD majority of people smoke while they drink, even if they don't smoke at all normally), they are less likely to even go to the club. Due to the need to pay the cover 2-3 times a night, just because they went out to smoke.

A number of bars are ok with the ban, and don't care about the loss of sales (and they don't usually feel a hit in that department, because they don't charge a cover to get in). This is all fine too.

My problem with the ban, is that it takes away from the rights of the owner of the establishments to reserve the rights to serve (or not to). By announcing that the owner has no right to decide that smokers can be there, it tramples on the rights of those attempting to make money with their business.

With the ban, smokers can still go outside to smoke, or not attend the establishment... but with the ban not in affect the flipside is also true. Non-smokers, and those who don't wish to be around smokers, can just not go to the establishment.

There are more alcohol drinking smokers, than alcohol drinking non-smokers... And bars want to cater to those who will give them more money (the ones who smoke).

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In England the smoking ban is about to happen, i think it is 4 months away, but i could be wrong, however it is soon.

As an ex-smoker it doesn't really bother me whether people are smoking or not, but i would never smoke if people were eating or if they were non smokers and i as sitting in the middle of them.

I don't think a ban is a necessity, all that needs to be done is the introduction of smoking and non smoking bars and also more ventilation in those that wish to be both.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Swish, keep in mind how ungodly unpleseant it is to those who don't smoke. Even if smokers were a majority, it would be a better idea to let non-smokers have their way, due to health issues. Besides, it was the smoker's choice in the first place to take up smoking.

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Indonesia, the smoking ban is also about to happen...
but you know my country, sometimes the rules won't even apply to some people, because they do it secretly or completely ignore it :(

and well, i don't like smokers either... it's kinda annoying just smelling the smoke or when the smoke came to your eyes or something :roll:
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
With the ban, smokers can still go outside to smoke, or not attend the establishment... but with the ban not in affect the flipside is also true. Non-smokers, and those who don't wish to be around smokers, can just not go to the establishment.

There are more alcohol drinking smokers, than alcohol drinking non-smokers... And bars want to cater to those who will give them more money (the ones who smoke).

Keep in mind that I just got back from a bar, and had a bit too much to drink.

I find your numbers inconsistant. I think that there are more non-smokers than there are smokers in any given bar. If you look at the relation of smokers to non-smokers, and in turn, look at any given bar, you will see that the most of the people are not smoking. It may seem like the most of them are smoking just because smoke spreads and engulfs, making it seem like everywhere around you there is smoke, and this means that everywhere around you there are smokers.

As a veteran bar hag (already, at the tender age of 23...), I can honestly tell you that more people tend to not smoke than smoke.

And I have travelled not just the country (USA) but the globe, and I see more non-smokers than smokers.

So this goes back to my original statement...those that smoke only need to walk a few yards past where they want to smoke to smoke. What is the harm in that? In all sincerity, there is no harm done either way. You have to walk a few feet more to smoke. Big whoop. It makes the non-smokers happier and less smelly. And you get some exercise out of it. It is a win-win situation!

Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Swish, I think that it should be up the owner of a bar to decided if patrons are allowed to smoke or not. I don't see anything wrong with goverenments setting regulations about how the bars are allowed carry out their policies, for instance setting a minimum ventalation requirement for bars that allow smokers.

However I think that it almost goes down to what people want to do when they go out, weither they want to drink or smoke. If they want to drink they could go to a pub or bar; if they want to smoke they could go to a smoker friendly or a hooka bar. It's kind of like if I want a Subway sub but a Starbuck's drink, I can't get them in the same place.
Alcon

I have no idea what this means.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The smoking ban here has a more annoying effect. Instead of in the bars, they are across the street from the bars - around the residential areas, where people like me who don't frequent bars have to walk.

I actually get exposed to more secondhand smoke now that the smoking bans are in effect.

C'est la vie.
there was no way.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nimble Jack, the point is that you shouldn't be smoking in the first place. Fines and restrictions are the government's way of saying "We don't like that." It was one of Thomas Jefferson's own philosophies.

Alcon, on the other hand, does make a rather ironic point...

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Argentina the smoking ban is being implemented in a week; I actually thought that they had this thing solved at the U.S since a long time ago, though.

I don't mind people smoking in front of me at clubs and so on; but I do hate the smell of smoke inside my house or in my clothes. And since I don't smoke I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to detecting that particular "scent".

I'm not pretty sure about a ban though; If they just implemented smoking and non smoking areas more efficiently we wouldn't have much of a problem. At any rate, the way smoking and no smoking areas are divided around here is a freaking joke; that's for sure.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
In Argentina the smoking ban is being implemented in a week; I actually thought that they had this thing solved at the U.S since a long time ago, though.

I am pretty sure that these smoking bans are not a Federal law, they are just a State law. That is why you do not see these bans everywhere. Each individual state has to vote on the ban.

I don't think that many have so far, but I am guessing that in the near future, most states will have the ban.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: