Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Pale Gate rune existed in Suikoden 4?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But IV has a high percentage of good runes.

I miss Jongleur. But it's probably less likely for it to make it comeback, since they decided to stick to the old system instead from now on.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup. Some runes aren't available in every county, so it's feasible. BTW, I also heard that Blinking is a child of the Gate rune! Pale Gate and Blinking are siblings! :D Isn't that great? Anyway, too bad they couldn't add it... Maybe it' a data stroage problem they covered up!

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is the ressurection rune an offspring of the soul eater? Ressurection = Life and Darkness = Death?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SIV is a prequel to SI = fact

Go back and look at the rune animations of SI. Pretty simple eh? Also, no Pale/Blue Gate rune to be found right? You know why? It's continuity. SIV is supposed to flow into SI and SII (though obviously, story-wise it doesn't, but really it flows in a historical sense). Only the basic runes are found (with a few "support" runes like Violence) because the game had to develop from simple to complex. If SV is a sequel to SIII, then the rune animations will likely become even longer and more extravagant following this same logic.

In that sense, I admire SIV for the return to the roots even more as far as the rune animations go.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Fifth

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VikiFanatic wrote:
Yup. Some runes aren't available in every county, so it's feasible. BTW, I also heard that Blinking is a child of the Gate rune! Pale Gate and Blinking are siblings! :D Isn't that great? Anyway, too bad they couldn't add it... Maybe it' a data stroage problem they covered up!

wow! so blinking comes from gate rune too cool! yeah it's great Viki still has blinking ^^
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that belief stems solely from the Blinking Rune's image. It is, of course, quite possible that it is true. I am not certain whether this is -confirmed- or not. I could see it being the case, that moving from one place to another is similar in nature to moving -other- things from one place to another.

Still, I always like to hear if Konami has anything to say on it. Sometimes their lack of answers can be as insightful as actual answers :)
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harukaze wrote:
I could see it being the case, that moving from one place to another is similar in nature to moving -other- things from one place to another.

This is just a random thought, but isn't that sort of the same as saying a rune that sucks life from the one holding it is sort of the same as a rune that sucks life from others around it?

Oh yeah, and anyone else think the Rune of Punishment looks like a fractal?
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carabbit wrote:
Harukaze wrote:
I could see it being the case, that moving from one place to another is similar in nature to moving -other- things from one place to another.

This is just a random thought, but isn't that sort of the same as saying a rune that sucks life from the one holding it is sort of the same as a rune that sucks life from others around it?

Actually... I suppose I can see the analogy, but I hesitate here. The analogy fits perfectly, but fundementally something feels wrong about that. Out of curiosity, why? Did you catch me in an inconsistancy in some claim I've made? To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if you did :)

Carabbit wrote:
Oh yeah, and anyone else think the Rune of Punishment looks like a fractal?

Actually yes, I quite agree! Perhaps that's why I've loved this Rune more than almost any other [True Lightning coming closest, for no real reason than that I occasionally turn into a Ged-fanboy] of the True Runes. It's just... pretty. Sue me; I'm a mathematician. I find beauty in such things *grins*
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harukaze wrote:

Actually... I suppose I can see the analogy, but I hesitate here. The analogy fits perfectly, but fundementally something feels wrong about that. Out of curiosity, why? Did you catch me in an inconsistancy in some claim I've made? To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if you did :)゛

I wasn't commenting directly on what you were saying, but on the topic of blinking Rune from Gate rune as a whole. I just thought my comment made more sense in the context of what you said (hence the quote.)

I'm just noting that saying the blinking rune stems from the Gate rune based on similar function is sort of like saying the Rune of Punishment is the same as the Soul Eater. Yes they have similar effects, but the target is different - one affects the bearer, one affects something else.

For the blinking to be from the Gate rune, it would have to be a toned down version of the same function of the Gate rune (like, the Pale Gate Rune! :D)

But the blinking rune does nothing similar to what the Gate rune does. The blinking can be used to blink anyone and anything, and the Gate rune opens gates to other worlds. The two seem completely different, in my mind at least, so I would think the two to be completely unrelated.

Harukaze wrote:

Actually yes, I quite agree! Perhaps that's why I've loved this Rune more than almost any other [True Lightning coming closest, for no real reason than that I occasionally turn into a Ged-fanboy] of the True Runes. It's just... pretty. Sue me; I'm a mathematician. I find beauty in such things *grins*

I'm glad I'm not the only math geek. And, in all honestly, who doesn't fanboy/girl Geddoe?
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carabbit wrote:
Harukaze wrote:

Actually... I suppose I can see the analogy, but I hesitate here. The analogy fits perfectly, but fundementally something feels wrong about that. Out of curiosity, why? Did you catch me in an inconsistancy in some claim I've made? To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if you did :)゛

I wasn't commenting directly on what you were saying, but on the topic of blinking Rune from Gate rune as a whole. I just thought my comment made more sense in the context of what you said (hence the quote.)

I'm just noting that saying the blinking rune stems from the Gate rune based on similar function is sort of like saying the Rune of Punishment is the same as the Soul Eater. Yes they have similar effects, but the target is different - one affects the bearer, one affects something else.

For the blinking to be from the Gate rune, it would have to be a toned down version of the same function of the Gate rune (like, the Pale Gate Rune! :D)

But the blinking rune does nothing similar to what the Gate rune does. The blinking can be used to blink anyone and anything, and the Gate rune opens gates to other worlds. The two seem completely different, in my mind at least, so I would think the two to be completely unrelated.

I understand what you're saying better, but I'm going to disagree with you on a fundemental level here. Please do not take it personally, of course. I just think the True Runes - in fact, all Runes, or at least most - have to be viewed as having a far more flexible range of abilities than simply their own four in-game spells. For example, I am sure Geddoe [since we're vaguely on the subject of him] could use his Rune to cast any of the six Lightning spells, any of the variations we've seen from game to game, and indeed any comparable variation of those themes you could think of. He, likely, could also make other Lightning effects, up to and, in my opinion, including affecting the weather.

Suikoden is a game, but inside the story their world is not necessarily defined precisely by the games' mechanics. They're a convenience to make the games' world workable for us. Thus, the fact that the elemental Runes happen to have similar spells to the ones we see in the True Runes - and the fact that the Darkness Rune happens to have similar spells to that of the Soul Eater - doesn't mean that they are the -only- Runes that can come from said True Rune either. Each True Rune governs an entire -concept.- The Gate Rune governs the concept of portals or gateways or even doors, both - I am sure - physical and metaphorical. It is easy to imagine teleporting one's self as being a power that one could access as a Bearer of the Rune of the Gate.

As for the analogy of your's... the concept governed by the Rune of Punishment doesn't really have anything to do with sucking the life of its user. It's a side effect, at best. The concept governed by the "Soul Eater," or the Rune of Life and Death, is much more tied to it stealing life: it has the power to give life and most assuredly the power to take it away. While I am... unconvinced that the Resurrection Rune necessarily comes from the Rune of Life and Death [I think it comes from the Night Rune, actually, but that's just my theory], I think that it's certainly a possibility that it matches, given its concepts. Regardless, the Soul Eater draining life is definately an effect, not a side effect.

Carabbit wrote:
Harukaze wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only math geek. And, in all honestly, who doesn't fanboy/girl Geddoe?

Well true; Geddoe is something we have otherwise lacked in the series: he's a True Rune Bearer on "our" side who is most assuredly not a child. He looks the part, probably having had acquired the Rune in his mid-life, and he's borne it for more than a century. So he has the experience, and unlike our sole other experienced Rune Bearer - namely, Leknaat - takes a direct and decisive hand in things.

That, and he's a Grasslander. And, well, I'm particularly proud of my nation for a reason *grins*
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I figured the Rune of Punishment's parasitism was less of of a side effect and more of a direct effect of the "atonement" phase that Leknaat was talking about. She was pretty specific about that. Which is why it stopped hurting you when you reached the "forgiveness" phase.

Quote:

Well true; Geddoe is something we have otherwise lacked in the series: he's a True Rune Bearer on "our" side who is most assuredly not a child. He looks the part, probably having had acquired the Rune in his mid-life, and he's borne it for more than a century. So he has the experience, and unlike our sole other experienced Rune Bearer - namely, Leknaat - takes a direct and decisive hand in things.

I'm so sick of young boy heros. I can see Chris and Geddoe, and even the maybe-20 year old Hero of 4 but I've never been one to believe that a 14 yr old is one to make important decisions in war and politics. One of my biggest problems with Suiko2 - how old is the hero? 15? Gah. Like I'd want a 15 yr old in charge of *my* army.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carabbit wrote:
I figured the Rune of Punishment's parasitism was less of of a side effect and more of a direct effect of the "atonement" phase that Leknaat was talking about. She was pretty specific about that. Which is why it stopped hurting you when you reached the "forgiveness" phase.

Yes, but it's still more of a side effect in that the Rune does not exist to suck life from its bearer. The purpose of the Blink Rune is to teleport people; the purpose of the Gate Rune is to summon things; the purpose of the Soul Eater is to govern Life and Death; and the purpose of the Punishment Rune is to govern atonement and forgiveness. Yes, during its atonement phase, it sucks the life of its bearer; the bearer is atoning for the sins of the world. But even still, I see that as secondary to its purpose. It isn't the True Rune of Sucking-the-life-out-of-the-Bearer, it's the True Rune of Punishment.

I do see your point, I'm just... seeing it from a different perspective.

Carabbit wrote:
Harukaze wrote:

I'm so sick of young boy heros. I can see Chris and Geddoe, and even the maybe-20 year old Hero of 4 but I've never been one to believe that a 14 yr old is one to make important decisions in war and politics. One of my biggest problems with Suiko2 - how old is the hero? 15? Gah. Like I'd want a 15 yr old in charge of *my* army.

Amen to this! This is why I like the fourth Hero; and Ged; and yes, I suppose even Chris. I'd've given True Fire to Geddoe in GS3 if I thought it made even the most remote sense; even Chris works better, but I vastly prefer to see her inheriting the Rune from her own father. It makes sense. But Geddoe is who I truly see to be the hero of GS3, no matter how often I pick Hugo. He's the one with experience and knows what the curse of the Rune is. He is very much what I hope the fourth Hero to become by the end of the series; he'll have had even longer than Ged, in fact, by almost fifty years, to master his Rune, after all.
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And Hero4 has to keep that Rune or it will start people-hopping again. ^^; Yeah, I hope he returns in another game!

As for Geddoe, he was the coolest of the 3. I like him with the Lightning Rune though (but that's mostly because I like Lightning better than Fire.) But I thought Hugo was a boring, cookie-cutter character so I was rooting for Thomas to get the True Fire.

What would've been cool is if Geddoe had been like Windy and figured out how to get both! :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: