Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What if Nintendo made more mature games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: What if Nintendo made more mature games? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What would nintendo's famous first party games (Link, Mario, etc) be like if they were to suddenly make a more mature version of them? I could definately see alot more awesomeness if they did this. Can you imagine a Goomba writhing in agony after being stepped on?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think turning some of the well-known Nintendo titles abit more mature would be a good thing in terms of sales. There's always going to be an interest from the gaming community when it comes to games with mature content. But I think Nintendo's been smart in keeping their well-known titles and characters just the way they are: kid-friendly.

People have grown up with Mario, Zelda, Link, and Pikachu as being something fun, innocent and a break from all the violence, sex and drugs of the more mature games from the other two console makers. To suddenly see a game where Link and Zelda are doing more than hugging would be quite a shock to alot of people, not to mention to the parents of kids who have a pre-conceived notion than Nintendo is a kid-friendly company and their consoles being the same. I wouldn't be dissuaded from buying a mature-version of Mario and Zelda, but then my attachments to Nintendo's first-party title characters are not as extreme as other gamers so seeing Link get all GTA on Zelda wouldn't turn me off the game. Now the Pokemon titles suddenly getting all mature would be disturbing on so many levels.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...I think Nintendo could do a better job of acquiring titles which are more adult-friendly for their consoles. For the GameCube, I can only think of about two (Resident Evil, and Sanity's Requiem...or was that the subtitle? I can't remember...) that they put out on the system. Everything else was aimed at a much younger audience, for the most part.

I don't have an issue with that, honestly. I'm okay with Nintendo making games however they like. Their games are still pretty fun, and I still want to play them. On the Wii, since I can play any of my arcade-classic type favourites, you know I'll be buying one. In the future thought, it definitely might be a good move for them to broaden their audience some.

Tullaryx wrote:
Now the Pokemon titles suddenly getting all mature would be disturbing on so many levels.

This is going to sound very strange...but in my younger days, I used to be something of a fanfiction whore, and there was an excellent fanfiction from Pokemon that was quite dark and gritty. It wasn't as painful a transition as you might have expected. Just think about the Pokemon's powers becoming a bit more lethal and you're already basically there!

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
This is going to sound very strange...but in my younger days, I used to be something of a fanfiction whore, and there was an excellent fanfiction from Pokemon that was quite dark and gritty. It wasn't as painful a transition as you might have expected. Just think about the Pokemon's powers becoming a bit more lethal and you're already basically there!

I've come across a couple of those and they actually were pretty good. But then I always came across fanfiction where Ash, Brock, Misty and their Pokemons were doing things that took me awhile to rid my mind of after reading it.

There was one game that came out for the GameCube that had a nice level of mature and adult content. The game turned out to be very good. Good enough that I ended up making it one of the few (could be counted in one hand) game purchases I made for my GameCube. The game is the one lethal mentioned in addition to Resident Evil 4. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem I still count as one of the better games of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
I've come across a couple of those and they actually were pretty good. But then I always came across fanfiction where Ash, Brock, Misty and their Pokemons were doing things that took me awhile to rid my mind of after reading it.

That's terrible, right there. I'm going to do my best to avoid even imaginging! I suppose it's not too difficult to make the transition between kiddie fun and ah... something else, though.

Quote:
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Ah yeah, Eternal Darkness...that was the game I couldn't think of in my previous post. That and Resident Evil 4 were both pretty good, and definitely count as 'mature' games. I actually enjoyed several other games on the GameCube more though, even if they aren't aimed at such a 'mature' audience. I like the GameCube Zelda title, Windwaker, and the Paper Mario games. Those are quite a bit more 'youthful' in their target audience, but I don't necessarily think that's always a down side. Lighthearted is good sometimes.

I also bear a very faint respect for Metroid Prime, even though I consider it to be vastly inferior to every platform action Metroid ever created. It has the advantage of being relatively simple to play, but with a huge difficulty curve that makes it challenging, and rewarding to beat. I definitely think that Metroid belongs as a platform action though. I think I'm in the minority on that one!

I've also heard good things about Super Smash Brothers: Melee, though I like the N-64 title better. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for Brawl on the Wii.

That having been said, I'm still going to say that Nintendo could broaden their appeal by putting our more mature audience games. The question is, would they lose a portion of their existing audience if they did so? After all, it seems that Nintendo already has a smaller market share than Sony or Microsoft, and it might not be wise for them to risk disappointing their diehard fans from back in the day by changing what they're about.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nintendo do have quite a few mature franchises. F-Zero and Metroid come to mind. A few of their Wii titles are like that too (though I can't remember the names)

Twilight Princess is too mature for Zelda in my opinion. I liked Wind Waker, but whatever. Anyone who thinks Mario needs to become mature is off their rocker. You can't make a mature game based off a overweight italian plumber unless it becomes really... sick.

(BTW, 'mature' is the worst description for what we're talking about. More realistic, maybe. But maturity does not mean blood, guts, sex, and profanity.)

I say Nintendo should leave their franchises as is and continue to pick up new franchises. But I don't need games to have blood and guts to justify me playing then. Fortunately I don't have to have that sort of thing to justify my playing experience so that people don't think I'm kiddy. You wanna know what I call a good mature games? Pikmin 2. Think about it.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masa wrote:
Nintendo do have quite a few mature franchises. F-Zero and Metroid come to mind. A few of their Wii titles are like that too (though I can't remember the names)

Twilight Princess is too mature for Zelda in my opinion. I liked Wind Waker, but whatever. Anyone who thinks Mario needs to become mature is off their rocker. You can't make a mature game based off a overweight italian plumber unless it becomes really... sick.

(BTW, 'mature' is the worst description for what we're talking about. More realistic, maybe. But maturity does not mean blood, guts, sex, and profanity.)

I say Nintendo should leave their franchises as is and continue to pick up new franchises. But I don't need games to have blood and guts to justify me playing then. Fortunately I don't have to have that sort of thing to justify my playing experience so that people don't think I'm kiddy. You wanna know what I call a good mature games? Pikmin 2. Think about it.

I agree wholeheartedly with your points, but unfortunately with most gamers mature means the game will include some, if not all, instances of blood, guts, sex, and profanity...not to mention drug use.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, using the topic creator's example and applying it to anyone who feels the only thing stopping Mario from being good is the lack of skull crushing from jump attacks, if seeing a Goomba writhe in agony is what you need to enjoy the same basic Mario game everyone else has been playing for more than twenty years, you don't need to tell us about it here, just save it for your therapist.

I just don't think blood is cool. It's just blood. Sex is something I'd rather have than watch and swearing adds nothing.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unless it's McCoy saying it. McCoy makes all swearing better.

But you know, I dunno how many Mario sprite flash movies I've seen that include decapitation, bloodspray, and all that sort of stuff. You know what that does to the movie? It makes it stupid and unrealistic. Yeah. Blood is unrealistic. Puzzle that one out.

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leave the blood and seriousness to Sony and Microsoft, they do it well. I don't think watching Kirby shred and devour his opponents with realistic blood spatter would make me enjoy Kirby any more (In fact, I don't know that I could enjoy Kirby more than I already do) and I don't want to see my Bulbasaur get third degree burns when he fights charmander. bloodying up their mainstays would be a huge mistake for nintendo. ask any person over 40 what they think of when they hear video games and they will tell you either nintendo or Asteroids, why would nintendo even think about ruining that sort of image?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masa wrote:

Ironic much? That wasn't what I meant though... I meant deeper or darker plots that the poor innocent children would not be able to understand. Moral conflicts, more creative villany, trgic events, etc. Super Mario RPG came pretty close to this, but a couple steps up from that is what I'm talking about.

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see what you mean. That is a bit different there. I don't suspect you've played either Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi, have you?

As far as Mario goes, I dunno if going too deep into a plot is the best idea. Mario is more about quirky adventures with bizarre villains. There's only so far you can that that.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the only true mature game nintendo has is resident evil. i personally hope they don't since they can easily do better with out them. like scarlet said leave them for playstation and microsoft. only thing i like about nintendo is the fact they have zelda and mario bros and super smash bros. if they started to get more violent and get games like that it'll easly hurt them i think.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But then, I'm not saying the ySHOULD, I'm saying what would the game be like if they did?

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
...Can you imagine a Goomba writhing in agony after being
stepped on?

Yvl wrote:
I... I meant deeper or darker plots that the poor innocent children would not be able to understand. Moral conflicts, more creative villany, trgic events, etc.

Is it just me or are these two posts more or less...completely incompatable? 0.o

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: