Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Battle System in Suikoden VI: Change it or Keep it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Battle System in Suikoden VI: Change it or Keep it?
Change it
35%
 35%  [ 19 ]
Keep it
64%
 64%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 54

Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This depends on how big the change is. If it's switching from turn base-battle system, to something Star Ocean uses, then I don't think it's a good idea. It's better to have the change in a slow process, otherwise you'll get similar compliants to Xenosaga. Still turn base in the 2nd game, but the system was a big change to what was originally in the first game.
I'd like the battle system to stay, but wouldn't mind adding or subtracting elements of the original battle system. Only if they do it a little bit though. Suikoden 3 added the pairing system and skill system, so that wasn't really so bad. Suikoden V added the group combination and stats upgrade. So I don't think Konami is going to stick with the same forumla, and will eventually add new elements.

Ronery Puratoon

17923 Potch
0 Soldiers
750 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know what I found real enjoyable despite the horrible tedium I can imagine that this would cause?

Multi party battles. Like the one with Luca Blight. Except on an ENTIRE GAME basis.

Think about it. you have 108 characters, not all of them being combat oriented. The story revolves around an army fighting another army and changing the fate of an entire nation, more often than not... Then why do I have these damned loiterers in my castle and why aren't they doing anything useful?! The game will end up being harder, since you can't just have all your best guys in one team and you can't just go and spend all your money on the mythical 6 who will change the face of the universe; you're an army and management of funds is important, silly boy.

Strategists are retarded for having you, the leader of the army at that, go around and do things that they could probably have delegated to others. There are a lot of incidents that involve different groups doing different things, like with Lucretia and the Beaver Dam incident taking place while you were going after the fortress. It seems like only the strategist, main character and close friend of the main character do any of the work. That is made of total failure.

Even though it's essentially making the game a boring LETS GO LEVEL UP fest, it still adds an element of (admittedly retarded) strategy as you will be forced to bring the right people to the right incident. I dunno. It seems like a really good idea in my head.

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think is this is the main problem with turn based systems. They cannot represent battle realisticly. I think what Black Pesmerga is trying to say is that he wants the characters to look as if they are moving slowly rather than waiting until after all other faster characters to go before them, but I think the only way to portray that accurately is in a real time action based game.

This brings to mind another issue that is more my personal preference than an actual problem with turn based games. That preference is character wielding weapons with long reach. It wasn't until Suikoden 5 that these characters are portrayed in battle right. Up until then there was no real point in these character other than originality. A character wielding weapons with reach should be able to strike before a character with a regular sword, daggers, or no weapons at all. In Suikoden 5 this is slightly better in my opinion because of a skill spear charcters have that will let them strike a whole row. Like I said earlier,the problem with turn based games is they don't represent real battle well.

As for difficulty I agree with John. Stats are the decider in any style of RPG game and that is not going to change, but I think elements of strategy are better portrayed in tactical RPGs, hence the name. If you could position your long range characters on top of hill and constantly pelt at a statiscally stronger character, you could significant damage if not kill it all together. Not only that I think that real battle is more acurately portrayed if action based RPGs and stragety ,to a point, is also portrayed better. As I said before in an action based game characters with weapons with long reach can strike a enemy before other characters or enemy with less reach and speed can be portrayed more acurately than normal turn based games can. And strategy... well, if you can manuver the character you are controling behind the boss/enemy you are fighting and while your computer allies are destracting the boss/enemy you can be killing it from behind. There a completely unorginal, cheap, but effective strategy.

I honestly don't care if they the system or not, but I just want fans to see that if they do it is not the end of the world.
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crystal Odessa wrote:
Err...a six character party isn't a battle system. The battle system is turn based.

Sorry i did not relize that,but i still agree with keep it becuase i like turn based battle system.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope they would have more simultaneous attacks like Suikoden I & II. Also, the auto command could be refined a little to include rune attacks, so a command rune or magic could be used by setting it as a "favorite" attack or something. But the main point is, make it quick and to the point, like Suikoden I & II. Fast attacks, fast animations, no loading times. Those dragons in the last area of Suikoden V? Horrible. A battle shouldn't drag on like that just because of enemy animations. They also shouldn't drag just because the enemies have been given too much HP, like Suikoden V had. (Hello, Big Hole ancient ruins.)
rjcruz0622

1212 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep the system, thats the thing we've grown to love and adore. I think changing the battles would not make the game a "Suikoden" at all. :?

12135 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There were some things I really liked in V's battle system such as the use of different formations. It added some much needed variety in the turn based system. However, you were still pretty much limited by the aspect of character's ranges and sometimes not being able to have a good setup for a specific boss or scenario because you were often stuck with a few characters.

III also had some interesting things going for it all else considered. The skill system really did make a difference in battle and the fact that characters moved about the board with each turn as did enemies did add a lot of realism despite the turn based system. Of course there were also some flaws there in that while it is realistic that a fire spell would damage party members wedged between enemies, it was annoying from a gameplay perspective. In addition the pair systems was a couble edged sword in that it added strategy but ultimately greatly limited the player's control.

Personally I would like to see one of these two systems refined a bit. Most games have been turning away from turn based lately, although if Suikoden does opt to remain turn based, I would have to say that those two games at the very least differentiated themselves from the pack.
Ralphy Leone Tensei

Aces Wild

8872 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why not have two kinds of gameplay in SuiVI?

What I mean is that the turn-based battle system can be used in regular battles while having the Dynasty Warriors-style gameplay in war battle? Right? No?

I'll shut up now. :oops:

Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha, maybe they should make a Suikoden Warriors video game. That would be awefully entertaining.
Ralphy Leone Tensei

Aces Wild

8872 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Inko wrote:
Ha, maybe they should make a Suikoden Warriors video game. That would be awefully entertaining.

Now wouldn't that be like the Sony PS3 taking the motion-sensing controller idea from Nintendo Wii? Unless, KOEI (company who made Dynasty Warriors) decides to cooperate with Konami.

Luca_Blight

5207 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the system they used in Suikoden 5 might have been the best one yet. It's like they took the best from all of the games.

Suikoden 3 was really different and not at all as good because of the team situation, but on the other hand, it had the thing with the points to improve special skills that differed depending on character fighting style which I really liked.

So for me, I hope the basic fighting system stays the same.

The only thing I am a bit sad about is the war strategy fights. they don't look as cute as in Suiko 2 and the mapping isn't as nice... But ever since I played Suiko 2 (first suiko game I played) I've always wanted to have both land and water fights in the same game.
Levenheit

Dragon Cavalry

3113 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Well, honestly, I don't play regular RPGs for their battle systems, but...Why does it need to be harder? I think Suikoden is, in all, a fairly easy game. There are a few challenging bosses (Abomination in Suikoden 2 is not only ugly, but MEAN) but I've rarely gotten a game over.

And I kind of like it that way. I don't really have time to run around leveling up everyone to level 60 just so I can take on the third boss. I find games where you have to spend hours leveling up beyond the normal limits boring; frankly, I have better things to do than level up to level 50 just to make the level 40 bosses beatable. And that's the problem, really, with making the battle system harder in a traditional RPG like Suikoden - there's no way to do it that isn't going to be tedious and boring.

Beyond that, I dislike the idea of a harder system because, in a game with 108 characters, probably 3/4th of which you can jam into your party, it would actively punish you if you decided you wanted say, Juppo, to accompany your hero, not Viktor. I like that the game is easy enough I can keep Lorelai in my party in Suikoden I, even if her stats are sub-par. I like that the game is easy enough I have the luxury of being able to play with my favorites, not just the Georg Primes of the games.

And as far as the runes go, I think it balances out when you consider the rune slots of the characters. Boost + fury + double strike is a wicked combination - but it also requires 3 rune slots, which not all characters have, and most characters don't get until reaching a very high level (~ level 55 when the highest you can get without power leveling is around the mid level 60's). Many of the most powerful mages in Suikoden V - the only one with magic drain runes, I think, actually - can't equip it due to having an unremovable rune in the slot where it would go. So while you can use and abuse those characters who are lucky enough to have three rune slots and have none of them preoccupied by other runes, that's a pretty small minority in terms of playable characters.

Great post. I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
jai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Levenheit wrote:
Sophita wrote:
Well, honestly, I don't play regular RPGs for their battle systems, but...Why does it need to be harder? I think Suikoden is, in all, a fairly easy game. There are a few challenging bosses (Abomination in Suikoden 2 is not only ugly, but MEAN) but I've rarely gotten a game over.

And I kind of like it that way. I don't really have time to run around leveling up everyone to level 60 just so I can take on the third boss. I find games where you have to spend hours leveling up beyond the normal limits boring; frankly, I have better things to do than level up to level 50 just to make the level 40 bosses beatable. And that's the problem, really, with making the battle system harder in a traditional RPG like Suikoden - there's no way to do it that isn't going to be tedious and boring.

Beyond that, I dislike the idea of a harder system because, in a game with 108 characters, probably 3/4th of which you can jam into your party, it would actively punish you if you decided you wanted say, Juppo, to accompany your hero, not Viktor. I like that the game is easy enough I can keep Lorelai in my party in Suikoden I, even if her stats are sub-par. I like that the game is easy enough I have the luxury of being able to play with my favorites, not just the Georg Primes of the games.

And as far as the runes go, I think it balances out when you consider the rune slots of the characters. Boost + fury + double strike is a wicked combination - but it also requires 3 rune slots, which not all characters have, and most characters don't get until reaching a very high level (~ level 55 when the highest you can get without power leveling is around the mid level 60's). Many of the most powerful mages in Suikoden V - the only one with magic drain runes, I think, actually - can't equip it due to having an unremovable rune in the slot where it would go. So while you can use and abuse those characters who are lucky enough to have three rune slots and have none of them preoccupied by other runes, that's a pretty small minority in terms of playable characters.

Great post. I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree on this..specially on the 108 part
natsun7gem

Natsun gem of Aronia

37113 Potch
14 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've chosen the old battle system... It's original and i really comfort with it...
Suikoden 3 battle system are also great, i think..
I'm looking for a same path, that I couldn't find in the past......

genne atreides aka natsun gem
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think keep it. i like the battle systems all except for suikoden 3. i like suikoden 5. it did cause you to think and it challenged you. one formation would work with one enemy and not with another, and if you got to different enemies with different attack styles you had to manage.

-IT IS THAT WHICH MAKES US DIFFERENT THAT BRINGS US TOGETHER.-
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: