Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Influences

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Influences Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, we all know that Suikoden's 108 stars of destiny is based off the Chinese classic, "Outlaws of the Marsh." However, I just saw the Akira Kurosawa movie, "They who step on the Tiger's Tail" (which was based off a famous Japanese play.) Apparantly, that scene in Suikoden 1 where Gremio attacks Tir in order to maintain their disguise while crossing the border (with Ain Gide) was taken from that play/movie.

My question is, how many other influences are there to Suikoden?

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, Kurosawa took that scene from a famous episode from a scene in the "Genpei Jyosui Ki" (Rise and Fall of then Minamoto and Taira Clans). It's a fairly famouse story tracing to the 12th century, featuring the samurai leader Minamoto no Yoshitsune (as the "young master") and the warrior monk Benkei (as Yoshitsune's servant). When the two has to cross a border, they are stopped by a guard, and it's basically identical as the scene from Kwaba.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's a certain similarity in the characters of Leknaat and that of Karla, The Gray Witch in the Record of Lodoss War novels. Both seem to be either guiding or manipulating the many Tenkai's of the Suikoden world into participating fully in such situations. The only difference between the two is that Karla is abit more open with her manipulation while Leknaat is abit more subtle.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know there was a Noh and Kabuki play that he got it from, I wasn't too sure if it was based off of real events or not though.

How old is that Record of Lodoss War? I know there is an anime about it. But part of what made me think of this topic was that the box of Suikoden 1 states that it is based off of eastern mythology, or something to that effect, nd if it's something from like 20 years ago, I don't know how openly Konami would use that idea. However, the "Blind seer" thing is indeed common, and perhaps can be traced even further back.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first Record of Lodoss War 13-episode OVA was in 1990. The earliest known Record of Lodoss War in written format was sometime around 1988 in replay form. But the mangas themselves have been written close to around the same time as the first OVA.

Even though Yuber's final motivations haven't been made known, I always thought he sort of resembled Lodoss War's dark knight Ashram. They're both seen as villains in the majority of the episode but as the story unfolded they became abit more complicated to the point that being just pure villains wasn't a correct label to be put on both.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
The first Record of Lodoss War 13-episode OVA was in 1990. The earliest known Record of Lodoss War in written format was sometime around 1988 in replay form. But the mangas themselves have been written close to around the same time as the first OVA.

Even though Yuber's final motivations haven't been made known, I always thought he sort of resembled Lodoss War's dark knight Ashram. They're both seen as villains in the majority of the episode but as the story unfolded they became abit more complicated to the point that being just pure villains wasn't a correct label to be put on both.

I have seen ROLW too, great anime and Ashram was just an awesome character :)
And i totally agree with your thoughts about Yuber and Ashram, that is the kind of hope i have in Yuber character also, that there is more to him than meets the eye..
"he gets rid of his curse, joins the good side, and deals the final blow to the manipulating high-priest Hikusaak" that would have been nice :)

"Then I will put an end to your misery.You, the successor to the 27 true Runes, will be granted your eternal slumber.Don't you feel honored?"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SirYuber wrote:

I have seen ROLW too, great anime and Ashram was just an awesome character :)
And i totally agree with your thoughts about Yuber and Ashram, that is the kind of hope i have in Yuber character also, that there is more to him than meets the eye..
"he gets rid of his curse, joins the good side, and deals the final blow to the manipulating high-priest Hikusaak" that would have been nice :)

Ashram

Does look like Yuber, if Yuber took of his knight's helm. Though Yuber in Suikdoen III seem to have gone for the Alex DeLarge look. Actually, anyone who has seen Record of Lodoss War could probably see quite abit of characters in that OVA influencing certain ones in the Suikoden games. King Kashue seems to have influenced the Georg Prime character, though Georg never became a ruler of his own realm. Both are great swordsmen and both seem to have done alot of their adventurning as mercenaries.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but one major influence in the early games has to be the Japanese show, Iron Chef.

Last edited by Tullaryx on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but one major influence in the early games has to be the Japanese show, Iron Chef.

Not too subtly, either... Well most, if not all the minigames are taken from real ones.

I hardly remember The Record of Lodoss Wars. I saw it once like 3 years ago. I need to see it again.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Not too subtly, either... Well most, if not all the minigames are taken from real ones.

I hardly remember The Record of Lodoss Wars. I saw it once like 3 years ago. I need to see it again.

There's the 13-episode OVA that came out in 1990. Then there's the follow-up Heroic Knight series which comprises of 27 episodes. The second series actually over-writes the last 5 episodes of the original series.

Then there's the Legend of Crystania which is a story starring Ashram and he's shown in a much more neutral, almost anti-hero light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: