Suikoden United and Infamous Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

So are you finally past the routine suikoden thing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekknopirate

0 Potch
92 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: So are you finally past the routine suikoden thing? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, the hero of asian decent rising up to fight a unjustine society/goverment/empire? When I look at suiko3 I know more then ever see Suiko3 was indeed taking the series in a new directing. It's time for a serious overhaul in the story and gameplay department. After Suiko5 I'm ready for something new. I feel they have done everything they can with the hero/friend betrayal story concept they keep repeating. Seriously, how many times are you willing to have" hero and friend get seperated through war, end up on opposite sides, hero gets true rune, fight friend, friend realize/die thank hero, then hero fights True Rune at end of game then hero leave family/friends/empire. Oh and don't forget about jeane and viki. They'll pop up for no reason.

I'VE DONE IT I'VE DID SUIKODEN 6!!!
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thw way I see it is that the plot direction is similar in each game on purpose, to follow an on-going theme of Fate & Destiny. Just like how I expect the 108 Stars of Destiny to be in each game, I expect betrayl, and all those other plot archs.

Suikoden, for me, avoids many clichés that are promenent in RPGs, like having to "Save the World," rather than just a country, and that change alone makes each plot different, even if some factors are similar. As long as different situations are made for each game, the plot will be different, and by the looks of things, that is what Suikoden does.

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So are you finally past the routine suikoden thing? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:
You know, the hero of asian decent rising up to fight a unjustine society/goverment/empire?

There is no 'asian' decent in Suikoden.

Quote:
Seriously, how many times are you willing to have hero and friend get seperated through war, end up on opposite sides,

The only ones that come to mind are Jowy and Snowe. Even Snowe is debatable, considering how he got royally screwed for having near zero impact in that war. In other words, Jowy and Snowe do NOT represent the entire series.

Quote:
hero gets true rune,

There are those who dislike the idea of Riou and Jowy not being ageless, why again?

Quote:
fight friend, friend realize/die thank hero,

See two points above.

Quote:
then hero fights True Rune at end of game then hero leave family/friends/empire.

Oh, dear. I'm quite sure neither of the possible Flame Champions and the heroes of Suikoden IV and V left their nations after the war in their respective best endings.

Quote:
Oh and don't forget about jeane and viki. They'll pop up for no reason.

And this is not a good thing, why?
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: So are you finally past the routine suikoden thing? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:
You know, the hero of asian decent rising up to fight a unjustine society/goverment/empire? When I look at suiko3 I know more then ever see Suiko3 was indeed taking the series in a new directing. It's time for a serious overhaul in the story and gameplay department. After Suiko5 I'm ready for something new. I feel they have done everything they can with the hero/friend betrayal story concept they keep repeating. Seriously, how many times are you willing to have" hero and friend get seperated through war, end up on opposite sides, hero gets true rune, fight friend, friend realize/die thank hero, then hero fights True Rune at end of game then hero leave family/friends/empire. Oh and don't forget about jeane and viki. They'll pop up for no reason.

What you just said only applies to Suikoden II.
tekknopirate

0 Potch
92 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's no asian decent? Let's see.....There's Tir Mcdol, um lets see who else Riou of Suiko2, don't forget the original Flame Champion(the no name one). Oh and no matter what anyone says the prince is of asian decent in Suiko5. What I say also applies to Suiko1. Tir and Ted, . But it's there just vaguely. Remember I said friend kill friend? Suiko4 hero left. Go play Suiko tatics and the little hints through suiko5.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:
There's no asian decent? Let's see.....There's Tir Mcdol, um lets see who else Riou of Suiko2, don't forget the original Flame Champion(the no name one). Oh and no matter what anyone says the prince is of asian decent in Suiko5. What I say also applies to Suiko1. Tir and Ted, . But it's there just vaguely. Remember I said friend kill friend? Suiko4 hero left. Go play Suiko tatics and the little hints through suiko5.

So whose friend did Suikoden V hero kill? I don't remember him killing Lyon. Also, Suikoden V hero did not leave. He became the commander of the Queens Knights.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:

I'm sorry, but there's one big mistake here:

There are no Asians in the Suikoden World. They don't have Asia. :P

And, I don't care whether they stick to the same formula - as long as they keep the series new, refreshing and fun, I'm still playing it.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, despite how each Suikoden has a similar storyline... You can never predict many of the plot twists in each game. That's a pretty damn impressive feat.

Considering that every Suikoden game is somewhat alike to the last, they sure do provide a lot of surprises. There's an event in every game that none of us saw coming.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is a certain routine to the Suikoden games but not enough that they're boring. The example of Viki and Jeane showing up for no reason doesn't make sense since both seem to have ties to the destinies of whoever is searching or wielding a True Rune. In Suikoden V Jeane's appearance was slightly surprising in that she at first seem to have actively helped the Godwins in their plans. Instead of just being the hot, sexy, babe runemistress the hero would go to sell excess orbs or create/buy new ones, Jeane also actively assisted in opening up certain npc to be recruited. Viki does more than just show up and become the convenient mode of traveling. In the last game certain Stars of Destinies talk as if theyve seen her somewhere before the events in the game transpired. This tells me that Viki probably already knows, or at least has deep in her memories, the outcome of every pivotal event that deal with the True Runes.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fun fact: Riou and Jowy (Suikoden II) are the only Tenkai/Friend couple to have been seperated only to end up on opposite sides of a regional conflict.

Fun fact: Only two of the Tenkai Stars in the five main Suikoden games to date have borne an actual True Rune; Tir McDohl (Suikoden I) and Lazlo (Suikoden IV).

Fun fact: The defeat/kill friend who ended up on the other side who gives kudos to the Tenkai nonetheless happens in none of the games. Seriously. It doesn't happen to, say, Pahn in Suikoden I, Jowy in II, anyone in III or Snowe in IV.

Fun fact: You do not fight a 'Rincar' as a final boss in Suikodens I and IV.

Fun fact: Only Tir McDohl abandoned everything after the game in Suikoden I. Riou travelled with his best friends and sister in Suikoden II, ALL the Suikoden III main characters returned to their jobs and Lazlo actually worked under Lino En Kuldes after the war in Suikoden IV.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah i'm not really past the Suikoden routine, i play suikoden mainly because i enjoy the hunt for the 108 Stars of Destiny, the character development, the mini games and sidequests etc. When i play Suikoden, to me the main storyline is only a small part of the game as there are many other factors that make Suikoden a great game.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:
There's no asian decent? Let's see.....There's Tir Mcdol, um lets see who else Riou of Suiko2, don't forget the original Flame Champion(the no name one). Oh and no matter what anyone says the prince is of asian decent in Suiko5.
I fail to see how you can consider them being "asian". The first thing that comes to mind when you call someone Asian is that they have black hair. Ok Tir has black hair but Riou and Flame Champ have brown hair and the Prince has white hair.
I guess you could argue that the Prince's regular outfit (the one that makes him look most femine-ish) is of asian influence but so does most everything else's clothes in the game

It can't be helped if the game seems a little asian overall....it's a Japan-made game afterall....on top of that Suikoden IS based on a Chinese legend. It would seem unfitting if they suddenly all appeared like punk american teens or something no?

Anyhow, the series is fine as it is now. If they keep the same great formula (recruiting people, True Rune Universe, etc) going I'm happy with being a Suikoden fan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rezard

215744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This again. Every Suikoden follow a very strict formula, except Suikoden III.

John Layfield wrote:
Fun fact: Riou and Jowy (Suikoden II) are the only Tenkai/Friend couple to have been seperated only to end up on opposite sides of a regional conflict.

Really? Aren't you forgetting Teo and Sialeeds?

John Layfield wrote:
Fun fact: Only two of the Tenkai Stars in the five main Suikoden games to date have borne an actual True Rune; Tir McDohl (Suikoden I) and Lazlo (Suikoden IV).

If they are not a true runes, but they are always special runes that make the hero special (yes, even Frey).

John Layfield wrote:
Fun fact: You do not fight a 'Rune Incarnation' as a final boss in Suikodens I and IV.
You fight a rincar in Suikoden I, the gold Hidra is Sovereign rune incarnation.

Ryusei wrote:
So whose friend did Suikoden V hero kill?

Sialeeds.

Ryusei wrote:
What you just said only applies to Suikoden II.

This applies to all Suikodens, except SIII. Accept it, all games have very similar storyline. We played Suikoden I four times. I really don't care about this, I find the plot fun, but (as I always say here) one day it will get boring.

tekknopirate wrote:

Because SIV was failure, they felt insecure and stick blindly to the formula with SV, so expect SVI to be also very close to the formula. Konami won't have enough guts to make any bigger changes.

So.. yes, you did SVI.
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That Hydra is not an incarnation of the Sovereign rune. That is a ability of the rune. It allows for that.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anything related to Suikoden V was intentionally left out as spoilers were not allowed at the time so I can not even hint as such things.

Teo was Tir's father, not a friend. That was also a minor plot strand for one small portion of the game unlike the clear focus on Riou and Jowy forming the theme for Suikoden II. As for Sialeeds, she was not seperated from you, she actively betrayed you.

Lots of characters have special runes including Zerase, Aziboah, Sigfried and Feather, I see no reason to deride this.

Sialeeds was not killed by Freyjadour Falenas, she died of self-inflicted wounds caused by overuse of the Twilight Rune.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: