Suikoden Unique and Informational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Voice-Acting for the next Suikoden?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Suikoden VI should include voice acting?
No, bring back to the good old text dialogue days
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Yes, keep it there
35%
 35%  [ 15 ]
Yes, keep it there, but give the player the option to turn it off
50%
 50%  [ 21 ]
I don't care either way
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 42

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Voice-Acting for the next Suikoden? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if people here still remember the good old days when rpgs didn't have voice acting in its cutscenes and used text to show dialogue between playable characters and the npcs they meet and those they fight. After listening to another elder rpg player rant about wanting his games, especially Suikoden started adding voice acting to its cutscenes.

So, is he the only one who feels this way or are there others out there who wish to have their Suikoden back to being voice acting free, or at least be given the option to turn off voice acting and just read the text instead.

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like Konami to keep it there, as long as it's done well. Voice Acting gives the cut-scenes a little more drama than solely text.

However, it's not always done well, so the option would be a good thing.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say Konami should keep it there. Voice acting adds personality to a character and drama to the scenes. Most Suikoden V characters had good voice actors. I would be more bothered if Suikoden VI wouldn't have voice acting as Suikoden IV, V and Rhapsodia all had VA's.

After all, there is a saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" or something like that.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, for RPG's now in days, I belive that voice acting is a must. Something that really distrubed me about Suikoden V was that there wasn't enough voice acting. I don't agree with limiting voice acting to only cut-scenes, because things get boring. It's a lot more fun hearing a voice actor, because it makes the scene a lot more color. In general games without voice actors just seem dated.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep it in, but give us a Japanese language option just in case.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
I'd say Konami should keep it there. Voice acting adds personality to a character and drama to the scenes. Most Suikoden V characters had good voice actors. I would be more bothered if Suikoden VI wouldn't have voice acting as Suikoden IV, V and Rhapsodia all had VA's.

After all, there is a saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" or something like that.

Precisely, don't fix it if it ain't broke. The games were fine and dandy without them, then they put them into IV and look how terrible a game that was. NO voices, EVER. They have never, ever done voices in a game that're worth a damn, S5's voices were not tolerable, they were just as bad as any of them. Luckily S5 had great characters (and the ability to semi-turn off the voices) and an engrossing story so the lousy voices didn't hurt it, but I want them gone. If they just didn't bother with em, we wouldn't have to wait as long for the game to come out, Konami could save some money, although based on how bad these voices are they probably just enticed some nobodies to do the voices with free donuts and coffee. Part of the RPG experience is using your imagination on things. Think for yourself how these people sound, don't have someone else say "So and so is gonna have an annoying 'kill me' voice, tee-hee". The same amount of people who buy the games now would still buy them if they didn't have voice acting. If you would avoid a game that you've been told is great in all areas all because it doesn't have voice actors, then....well, let's just say I question your intelligence. Anyways, those are just my feelings on the subject, you're welcome to disagree, if you enjoy being wrong that is.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:
If they just didn't bother with em, we wouldn't have to wait as long for the game to come out, Konami could save some money, although based on how bad these voices are they probably just enticed some nobodies to do the voices with free donuts and coffee.

Please don't insult the voice actors that way. I've heard voices in the game from VAs who have been around for a long time. It's impossible to please everybody, especially when you get to the "if it's not the Japanese voice, it sucks!" crowd, then I just tune it out as fanboy/girlism.

Personally, I don't care either way. The voices aren't that distracting and I'm more than capable of enjoying a good game without any voice acting at all. The only trouble with voice acting in a game like Suikoden is when it comes to refering to the hero, what's said vocally is somewhat different than what's in the dialogue box. At least Tactics didn't have to worry about that. (though Kyril's voice - which is also Toma's voice, for those interested - sounded far too young for his appearance post-prologue.)
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:

Please don't insult the voice actors that way. I've heard voices in the game from VAs who have been around for a long time.

They must really love the free donuts.

Besides the very small number of VAs that have been around the block, the majority of them are unknowns just breaking into the business. This is fact. My opinion is that they are horrible, this is also fact. So your one or two good ones cannot make up for the dozens and dozens of flops. And no, I don't think it would be better if we had the Japanese voices. I don't want it predecided how a character sounds. I'll use my own imagination on that, thanks.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, it should be keeped in there as they got many cool voices even if it's in english language and just like Ryusei said, to add the personality in it :wink:
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep it there. It's the way games are going, heck, it's the way games HAVE GONE. That and I like voice acting, as a whole. I just hate it when it's done sparingly to the point where there's no real reason to include it. (Three second scenes with voice acting that consists of "Hello" before returning to pure textual dialogue, for example).

That said, I see no reason not to have the option to turn it off. Retaining the original Japanese as another option is a matter of space. Again, if it's viable, why not?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Part of me understands where Sailor's motivation for keeping the voice acting out. I grew up playing rpgs as far back as the original Ultima up to Chrono Trigger and I became used to seeing the game's story unfold like a novel. The voice acting was a good addition to rpgs, but really it only was worth listening to when done well. I mean has anyone ever played and listened to the voice acting in Stella Deus.

For the next game in the franchise they should just allow settings with options to turn off voice acting if a player wishes it. They should also include both original Japanese and English translation. I mean it's a forgone conclusion that the next game will come out for the PS3. Konami will have ample space in the 50GB storage that the Blu-Ray DVDs are suppose to have,

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some works some don't. Suikoden V and IV I don't see working as well, without the voices. Yes I do prefer the good old days of the text, but in order for the "no voices" to work, you can't have any cinemas where the characters talk. They'd have to either mouth it, or not be shown at all.
Now, some of us were annoyed when the Prince would open his mouth and look like he would say something, but didn't. Now, image how the general audience would take it if Lym screams at her brother, but there's no audio.
The no voices really only work for the in-game scenes. To me, I'd be a lot more annoyed if the cinematic scenes had no voices. If we're going back to the good old days, then we might as well take out the cinematic scenes.
Yes, it was nice using your imagination since people could picture what the character's voices were like, but considering we're going into an age of realism, the games need the voices. What popular game is there left, that is RPG-like and has no voices?

Elc wrote:

Please don't insult the voice actors that way. I've heard voices in the game from VAs who have been around for a long time. It's impossible to please everybody, especially when you get to the "if it's not the Japanese voice, it sucks!" crowd, then I just tune it out as fanboy/girlism.

Same here. I'm sick of fanboys and fangirls whining that anything not Japanese is bad. Most of the VAs I've seen spend a large amount of time studying the Japanese voice, and trying to match it. Here is the problem. When English VAs try to please these fans, they can never make them happy unless they fly to Japan, become fluent, and become a seiyuu.

Quote:
Personally, I don't care either way. The voices aren't that distracting and I'm more than capable of enjoying a good game without any voice acting at all. The only trouble with voice acting in a game like Suikoden is when it comes to refering to the hero

The only way to avoid this is to just avoid cinematic scenes using the hero's name, and just replace it with Lord.

Quote:
They must really love the free donuts.

If you're referring to money, then yes. Some of these people take these gigs as a living, and get paid quite a lot for it.

Quote:
Besides the very small number of VAs that have been around the block, the majority of them are unknowns just breaking into the business.

I'm not so sure about that, do you have an actual chart or something to base this as actual fact? From what I've seen, the ones who are breaking into the business are usually very young, and in the minority. All the other VAs have at least some acting experience.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Voice acting is, as John Layfield said, the way video games have gone. There's no way we'll be able to return to the "good old days" when it wasn't necessary. Nowadays, it would be suicide to try and create a modern game without voice acting when the technology exists to do so.

That having been said, the voice acting in Suikoden IV and Tactics was atrocious, and it was only mediocre in Suikoden V. I'm not exactly excited about the prospect of suffering through Konami's voice acting again. I would very much appreciate an option to turn the foolery off...

It's okay though, I know I'll end up playing it from start to finish either way. I like Suikoden, and I plan to continue liking Suikoden as long as Konami plans to keep making Suikoden.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
red stuff

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't think voice acting should be a standard for games in general, but I'm not opposed to it either. Especially when it's as well done as it was in V. Some of the voices for the characters suited them perfectly. I just hope that Suikoden VI will have more voiced scenes if they're going to include voices (which they most likely will)...there weren't that many voiced cutscenes in V, which was kinda disappointing, but the budget probably didn't allow for more.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, keep it there, but give the player the option to turn it off. Additionally, give the player the option to choose between English and Japanese VAs for a decent win-win situation for all walks of gaming life.

Konami should also consider voicing out the 'silent' Tenkai's lines, particularly because they have decidedly given us the option to choose battle grunts for him anyway.

That said, I would choose voice acting over the deadly silence of Suikoden III's dramatic scenes any day, for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: