Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NHL Season 2006/2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All Boston has in pro sports are the Red Sox and the Patriots. The Bruins and the Celtics are laughing stocks.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I wouldn't know so much about that since I'm not bothered about american sports besides hockey to be honest. I know a little about American football but after that I'm lost.

Anyway another trade to report on today, Ladislav Nagy goes to Dallas from Phoenix in exchange for Mathias Tjarnqvist and Dallas' first round draft pick in the upcoming draft. If the stars sign the guy to an extension as well that's pretty nice for them I mean the first is a steep cost considering the salary cap these days but Nagy is a pretty good little player and he isn't too old yet. Phoenix will hopefully use this opportunity to stock themselves up with another good prospect and get back to being competitive that little bit faster.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh wow, Nagy was tearing it up last year. He'll probably do very well in Dallas.

Speaking of trades Harry, I took February 27th off of work. I hope there's a flurry of action, but if not, at least it's about 9 hours of non-stop hockey coverage. My Leafs get to play the Flyers next. Thank goodness, we're in need of a win and the Flyers.... well... do they have double digit wins yet? I'm not sure.... I know they won their bi-weekly game already, so I have to assume they'll lose for the rest of the week.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to wonder if Vancouver will move Bulis given the rumours going around town about his disgruntled attitude. If so, will this be a case if trading one problem player for another? That's not a terribly broad field of prospects as far as I'm aware.

Too bad, Bulis has done pretty well this year.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

L.A Kings seem to be planning to open the regular season in London next year which I find very, very cool so I think I'll make some attempt to get tickets for that when I'm able to afford such things, I really hope I can get the money together actually since I've never been to a live NHL game and that would be pretty great.

Bulis definitely requested a trade, I remember hearing about it a little while back, unless he later revoked that request and got to playing and has started moaning again I'm going to assume it's part of the same issue. I think Bulis is signed for one more year after this isn't he? That could be an issue trying to move him, you could probably package him with something on a deadline deal as salary going the other way but with another year he may be harder to find a taker for him if they don't actually want to keep the guy.

Forsberg is on at the moment, as long as some punk leaf doesn't slew foot him (which is wholly possible considering the number of punks on that team) then the Flyers have got a good chance!

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Flyers saw the leafs coming and since they were worried about Forsberg getting his knees broken by punk leaf players they decided to play it safe and trade him before the game instead of letting him get a season ending injury as a result. They lost because of this unfortunately but they got a good trade return I think.

The first round pick will be late but the Flyers are pretty well used to picking late in the first round and coupled with a pick that will probably be in the top 2 of the draft we should make out with a couple of decent players, a third round pick came to the Flyers as well which is hit or miss territory in drafting really, could amount to nothing but that's a chance you take.

Scottie Upshall scored in his debut game, a win for the Flyers against the Rangers, turned out to be the game winning goal as well so that's a good start for him, he's only 23 I think and the 6th overall draft pick from 2003 so he's got a bit of potential to become a 2nd line right winger we'll just have to see how he progresses and hope the old 'change of scenery' rule applies to him and he breaks out a bit.

Ryan Parent was the other pick up, this is the make or break bit of the trade really, he's supposed to be a really good defensive defenceman and he won two golds with the Canadian WJC teams which is always nice to do I imagine. Anyway I kind of wanted this guy during his draft year because we were short on defensive prospects and he shares a name with Flyers legend Bernie Parent. I'm happy to have acquired him and I think he could end up being good, maybe he could even make a really good pairing with Pitkanen in the future since his game is more about offence and Parent's game is all about defence, it could work really well potentially but I'm thinking well ahead on that. I just hope he pans out into a top 3 defenceman at the end of the day, anything more is a bonus!

Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it's the Trade Deadline today and I have nothing to do, so here's some of what's gone down.

Exile, you'll be happy about this one. The Flyers got Martin Biron from the Buffalo Sabres, addressing one of their glaring needs. The Penguins also got Gary Roberts from Florida. He's a cool guy, but I'm glad he's in Pittsburgh (who will come out of the East if they're healthy) and especially glad that he didn't land in Ottawa. Bill Guerin went to San Jose from St. Louis, and rumors have Todd Bertuzzi going to Anaheim.

I would like the Leafs to make a few moves for depth at forward. Forsberg would have been a perfect fit, Bertuzzi would be acceptable, but I think the best would probably be/have been Tkachuk, who like Forsberg plays a power game...stupid salary cap. Too bad Forsberg has no finish and plays an aggressive game (but can be injured for the season by a heavy wind), he and Sundin would really click.

And Exile, last I checked my team beat your team 5-2 and one of your players got a penalty for Diving, so zip it and zip it good :P
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I know I liked the Sharks picking up Craig Rivet a couple days ago, but if its confirmed that they've also picked up Bill Guerin then I'll be even happier. The only thing I'm wondering is what the Sharks had to give up for Guerin. The Sharks of the Ron Wilson-era has been very good at keeping the right prospects and trading away very good ones but who are too far down the line to be called up anytime soon.

EDIT: It looks like the Sharks gave up the last of their 2 1st-round picks in the upcoming draft, left wing Ville Nieminen, and college forward Jay Barriball. With the upcoming draft not exciting many GM's with the talent being evaluated I think the Sharks got themselves a good deal on a proven player.

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've said it before, if we're going to miss the playoffs same as the leafs we might as well get a good draft pick out of it!

The Biron trade is pretty good IF we can sign him before he becomes a UFA at the end of the season. He is a step up over Niittymaki who is about to become an RFA at the end of the season who I hope we re-sign as back up because he is pretty good whilst the defence has been terrible. It will be good to see how Biron does down the stretch so we can get an idea about how effectively he will be if we can get him re-signed. Add in a couple of good free agents and the Flyers might be alright to challenge for the playoffs next year, I'm not saying they'll make it but being competitive would be great I've had enough of losing and what the hell, we went from 100 points to last in the league why can't we go back to the playoffs in one year? It's possible but I'm not overly optimistic on it, just wishful thinking.

Holmgren has done a good job with his trades now I just want to wait and see how he does with his signings, the team obviously needs to pick up some UFAs this off-season but in a salary cap environment overpaying for too long is criminal, giving out contracts that are too long can come back to hurt you, no one wants to get lumbered with a Hatcher-esque contract. Oh, wait. Things have to be done carefully and my worry is the Flyers have so much cap space that he'll just throw money and years at people, as I say things have to be done with care nowadays. It's going to be interesting to see.

As a final note about the trade deadline, it really seems like it was a seller's market with some real good deals being given out to acquire those final pieces teams were looking for to bolster their rosters, Smyth while a great player is a UFA and if the Isles don't get him back that trade could hurt for a while in the future, Atlanta paid up a lot for short term gain and if they subsequently miss the playoffs Waddell is going to get his ass fired. Oh yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how things go from now onwards.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty much set on knowing that Guerin will be a rent-a-player for the Sharks this year, but with their farm system stocked with prospects already I can understand why the Sharks were willing to deal their 2 first-rounders to get the players they wanted for the final stretch run of the season. It won't guarantee that the Sharks are now one of the favorites to win the Stanley Cup but it does make them very potent in going real deep in the playoffs with veterans like Guerin and Rivet in the line-up.

From what I've read and heard the upcoming draft seems pretty mediocre in terms of talented prospects. There's still a chance Doug Wilson will do some wheeling and dealing come draft day to maybe get a first round pick, but I'd rather they concentrate on checking which players in the second and third rounds would be a steal for them. If the Sharks had to sign either Guerin or Rivet to a long-term I'd rather they made an effort on Rivet. He seems to be the veteran blue-liner they've been missing and will probably cost them less than what Guerin will ask for. The Sharks is a team that won't be missing firepower if Guerin doesn't re-sign and tests the Free Agent market at the end of the season.

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Atlanta should be pretty good to go regardless of the future. They still have Kovalchuk (24 in a month) and Hossa (Just turned 28) and those two are pretty damn solid on offense, and now in addition to the always clutch (but so overpaid) Bobby Holik they add Tkachuk, who is pretty solid and will add leadership. The East is crazy competitive though, so we'll see what happens.

What pisses me off is Leafs Nation. I mean, yeah it's good to support your team, but has anyone else been to Toronto during hockey season? These guys can't take a crap without it being reported, and it just gets crazy; I hate the atmosphere at the Air Canada Centre (yes, Centre, get used to it). The people who run the Leafs do a damn good job of pushing the team as a brand name, and tickets never go for their face value (I paid $100 for tickets valued at $47 to see Sid in last year's final game).

The result? Only the suits and assholes with their Blackberries can go to the game. Friggin' polite cockbags...they never make any noise, EXCEPT when they're playing poorly, in which case they boo. It's a real shame because every game sells out, the Leafs are usually reasonably competitive, the TV broadcast quality is far superior to any other team's (watch a home game on CBC and disagree with me) and the team has BY FAR THE MOST AESTHETICALLY PLEASING UNIFORM OF ANY TEAM EVER IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING. Maybe when you get the real fans in there the team can start winning at home (12-14-5).

I think they need to bottom feed for a few years, get the great prospects and then just hold on for the ride. They signed Tucker for 4 years and...eh, I just hope it doesn't mean Sundin gets traded. Tucks is good and gritty (and yes, he's a goon), but he'll score 10 goals in 5 games and then go 20 without scoring again. They always trade away their best young guys for people and it turns out to be crap for them, while the young guy does well (most recent I can think of is Brad Boyes). Brendan Bell had some upside but he wasn't a blue chip prospect, and the Leafs also have Kronwall, Colaiacavo, Ian White and Jay Harrison in addition to Kaberle-McCabe-Kubina-Gill and Mike Peca who might as well be a defenseman. I hope they keep Perreault, who is a great fit for the team (Like Peca but with more offense and less defense). Still though, they need another big offensive threat to center the second line and bloody 'ell it should have been Peter Forsberg.

Sorry for venting. The reason the Stanley Cup hasn't been won in 40 years and instead sits tauntingly six blocks away at the Hall of Fame? It's become like the damn opera, and ownership doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. That salary cap is also a bitch, but at least they can afford to fill the cap. Profit sharing is also going to kick in sometime next year I heard...yay, that's exactly what I want, other teams (who are better than the Leafs) benefiting from the disgusting excess of profits the Leafs generate. If you want teams to draw in large crowds and become profitable, then don't expand the league to places where people think a hockey stick is a gun rack and make teams with logos that look like something out of Transformers.

I think that Biron is a good fit for Philly. Before Ryan Miller came along, He kept the Sabres at least competitive (before they had their super-talented roster) and is a proven #1. That Philly defense is porous though, so we'll see how it goes down.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hossa is UFA next year Vinnie, unless they re-sign him before that but it's a guaranteed $7 million contract if they do let's face it, Kovie isn't going to be cheap and to keep them both they will have to subtract somewhere along the lines, the cap may go up but...will Atlanta's ability to spend match that? They aren't the richest of clubs.

Tull everything I've read says the draft is deep but lacking a real top end of the quality of the last few years, there is no consensus number 1 pick which sucks for my club but it's not a bad draft by any means. Sharks have a decent farm system already and are really near to the cup in terms of talent on their club so it's not surprising to see them deal away some future for that shot, not surprising at all.

I'm a pretty big fan of Tucker myself which to some Flyer fans is tantamount to blasphemy but I like the guy, I love his game. Hits, goals, grit. A player you hate when he's on anyone else's team but love if you've got him, that kind of guy. I hope Downie ends up something like that. Forsberg is UFA again after this season and his foot is better now than it was when we got him so the leafs could pursue him again in the offseason possibly, I'm hoping we get him ourselves though and maybe another centre like Drury/Briere along with some D-men. Biron said he'd try and get them over here (yeah he really said that already and he hasn't even got his own contract yet so that's promising in regards to signing Biron, he seems really happy to be in Philly...weird guy).

Actually since you bring up the porous Philadelphia defence here is what it was at the start of the season:

Randy Jones
Nolan Baumgartner
Freddy Meyer IV
Mike Rathje
Derian Hatcher
Joni Pitkanen
Denis Gauthier - IR
Lars Jonsson - IR
Picard - Minors

Now it's totally changed up to over the season, Zhitnik has come and gone, Baumer was waived, Freddy the fourth was traded, Rathje is on Long Term IR, Jonsson is in the minors because he was not ready for the NHL, Jones is probably #7 D now since Coburn and Kukkonen are in here as well and Picard is up and playing well too. With all the changes it's no surprise the team has struggled to get anything going.

Biron was probably the second best UFA goalie for the summer (after J.S Giguere) and he'll come a lot cheaper hopefully so it's a good deal if we get him signed, if he leaves and goes somewhere else once it's UFA time we gave up the 31st pick in the draft for nothing. We need to get the guy signed and then I'm a happy person.

And hey, I've seen a hockey jersey with the decepticon logo on it and I thought it looked pretty cool.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know who sucks?

Nope, not McCabe... well he does suck, but this post isn't about him. John Fergusun Junior? Nope, he's for another day. The person who sucks is Andrew "I can't stop a beachball to save my life" Raycroft. They call him the Razor because he sucks. That doesn't make any sense you say? Well too bad.

In the past 10 days or so Raycroft blew every lead we got him. We were up 4-1 against the Sabres, a huge game, we win this we're cruising... but nope, in the span of 4 minutes in the 3rd period he manages to let in 4 consecutive goals. Pretty bad eh? Well it doesn't stop there... no sir.... it doesn't stop at all. He blew another 3 goal lead against the Penguins and then again against Montreal.

Alright, blowing leads are part of the game. But not when the puck goes up in the air, bounces off your head while you're prone on the ground and goes in. When sht like that goes in, it demoralizes the entire team!

Razor is the worst NHL goaltender in the NHL. Look at his stat line! He's let in the most goals of any goalie in the league. A league leading 205! The only starting goalies he has a better save percentage against is Anterror Nittymaki, oh ye of 9 wins out of 52 games. Yup, his 2.99 GAA ranks him around the Olaf Kolzig and Tim Thomas range. If you were to add his rankings up in those 3 categories, they'd be the highest sum in the league!

People wonder why we suck at the shoot out. Let me be honest with you. With that stat line, knowing what you know about Andrew Raycroft, do you want him going one on one against the best scorers in the league? I don't... we'd lose more times than not.... and low and behold, we do lose. It's not that the Leafs suck at the shootouts.... it's that Raycroft sucks at everything.

Calder winner in his rookie season, flat out bum that couldn't even crack the Boston lineup thereafter.

To top this all of, our GM, in his infinite stupidity decided to trade away the best young internation goaltender in the world, a mr. Tuuko Rask and a pick to Boston for this coat rack. But don't get me started on how much John Fergy JUNIOR sucks

Yes, I am upset the Leafs didn't make the playoffs.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GO Philadelphia Flyers!!!

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Philosopherking wrote:
GO Philadelphia Flyers!!!

While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment and am delighted to see someone else here who likes the Flyers they have, sadly, already been and gone for the season now and all we have left to look forward to is watching the playoffs from the outside and the off-season.

Actually I'm pretty hyped about the off-season for plenty of reasons but I'll save those thoughts until after the playoffs are done and dusted so I've still got something to talk about later.

At least you still have Pogge in spite of losing Rask, Blasphemy. Maybe Tuuka will end up like the last hotly tipped finnish goaltender in Boston, Hannu Toivonnen was worse than the massively inconsistent Tim Thomas and wound up being sent back to the minors and being replaced by Red Wing waiver wire Joey McDonald. The Flyers are devoid of actual goaltending prospects, Niitty is 26 and had a very bad year, Houle and Munroe aren't anything special in the AHL and former WJC goalie Rejean Beauchemin is in the ECHL because he's not as good as the previous two. Complete lack in that department but at least we're good for two more years with Biron now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: