Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most Interesting/ Original Weapon in Suikoden
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Most Interesting/ Original Weapon in Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the most interesting aspects of Suikoden, in my opinion, is that each character shows originality with their own specialized weapon. What I want to know is: what is everyone's favorite weapon used by a character, and why? Try to post weapons that are unique, and while swords like the Zodiac Sword are certainly unique, please refrain from posting something along the lines of " The Star Dragon Sword is the best becuse it talks to u. LOLOLOLOL". Give good reasoning for why X weapon is your favorite, be it incredible effectiveness in battle, interesting attack animation, the way the weapon is wielded, etc.

My two favorite weapons belong to the brother/sister duo of Riou and Nanami. One reason is the fact that both of these characters' battle animations feature two strikes of their respective weapons: The Twin Fang tonfa weapons and the Flower Rod segmented rod weapon. Riou wields his weapon in an incredibly stylish way as well, spinning his tonfa before striking. I don't know if this is only to build up momentum or just for effect, but it's incredibly cool-looking. Nanami's weapon is also interesting, since I am drawn to weapons that are attached to chains. If there ever were a weapon in the Suikoden series that happened to be a sickle attached to a chain, I would use that character regardless of effectiveness, since that would just be the most incredible weapon to see in action.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You mean like kama? http://kobudo.okinawa.free.fr/weapons/kama/
Try Guilty Gear or Samurai Warriors to see it used.

Gremio's hatchet always made me laugh. It made me think of crazed axe murderers, and Raskolnikov. And that is so not Gremio. Irony is lovely.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't beat Nina's books. Knowledge is power indeed. Plus she's part of a 3x unite with Flik, in which she does all the hitting.

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nina with her books is so ridiculously unique.

I think in terms of swords, Shin Tarantula is pretty unique. Grossier is also pretty insane.

Tonfa isn't a very western weapon (Albiet the game is Japanese) so it's unique to us. The Kana, or whatever Nanami had is also very unique.

Can't hate Gremio's hatchet. If you could use Tony, he would attack with a hoe. That's unique.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The sword Valeria uses appears to be ideal as it looks to be reasonable size and has a balanced weight making it useful if you want to be skillful with the blade.

I'm also keen on Sonya's Hellbead (sm I think) It looks like she's holding a spear but apprently as Sars said that it was a two handed weapon; either way its excellent and does a good amount of damage.
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd have to say that Jacque's bow is pretty unique, I mean I'm pretty sure it's better than him. I thought that it was genius, the thing must weigh a ton.

If only we had sword-chucks!
Icebergin

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the Grossier Fluss is probably the most original weapon in the world, I mean I play Ivy in Soul Calibur just because it's similar. :lol:

But in S3, I can't knock Queen's sword. it's really cool looking... any idea what it is? It doesn't have that hand guard thingy on it (can't remember the name of it) that separated the hilt from the blade... so uh..

Nanami's thingy is cool too, wish it had a staff form and split into the three parts in game. That woulda been cool.

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nanami's weacon is called Nunchucks or Nunchucku. Selphie from FF8 used it too...

As for original... Nina's book belt is original because who in their right mind would use books to wack enemiest?

Grosser Fluss is original in a way as well, but actually, there can be a more realistic counterpart somewhere...

Riou's Tonfa and Nanami's numchucks are actually nothing original. In fact, they are quite common weapons... In the east at least. Still, they ARE cool...

Other uniques weapons are the cook's weapons... Haiyo and Lester, the wok and frying pan bearers. Well... the weapons speak for themselves...

And about hoe, Twaikin users a spade of some sort.. Yeah...

And well, Rina's weapons are quite ridiculous... Tarot Cards? Come on....

Personally, my favourite weapon would be Bo sticks, or staff or whatever. Namely, Tir, Jowy, Kai, Bob's kind of weapon. I like waching...

About sword chucks... They are not possible because swinging blades are far too dangerous to be handled. The usage of Nunchucks involves bringing the rods near the body and maneuvering the weapon around the body. You would be quite dead if you did that with sword chucks...

An alternative might be blades attached to a chain for you to swing about and impale your enemy? Still, extreem caution has to be exercised with such a weapon since you'll probably be detrimental to your own allies while recklessly swinging that weapon about. And only someone who has truely mastered using such a weapon should be allowed to use it...
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nanami's weapon isn't a nunchuck.

Here's why. It's three poles chained together. A nunchuck it to poles held together by a chain

Legend
... = CHain
--- = Pole

Nunchuck, lying on the ground
-------------.................---------------

Nanami's weapon, on the ground
-----------------------......-------------------------.....------------ -----------

See the difference?
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, there are two types. In chinese, its either called Shuang Jie Gun, or San Jie Gun. The main difference is the first word. For the former, the word Shuang means double, which means that one is with 2 rods. For the latter, San means 3, and thats the one with 3 rods which happens to be Nanami's weapon.

Nunchucks is the general English name for both weapons. Unless there's another English name for the 3 rod one which i don't know of, it should be called Nunchucks as well.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ooh, this is a wonderful topic. :)

I think my overall favorite is Kirke's/Lorelai's and Landis' scythe. They're used surprisingly little in videogames today and they've always been on of my favorite weapons. Much more interesting than a regular sword and with a much more deadly history. I'm surprised none of the farmers have ever used them - surely at Suikoden's level of technology (elevators and wooden robots aside), scythes would be necessary for reaping crops?

Nina's weapon is a class second, though. I don't like her character a lot so she doesn't tend to get a lot of use in my game, but her attack is just hilarious. :D Knowledge is power, indeed. :shock:

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kobold wrote:

About sword chucks... They are not possible because swinging blades are far too dangerous to be handled. The usage of Nunchucks involves bringing the rods near the body and maneuvering the weapon around the body. You would be quite dead if you did that with sword chucks...

The sword-chucks were a reference to 8-bit theatre, which if you haven't, you should read.
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have to say Sierra's Full Moon blade, It is just cool to watch her raise her arm and go *Whoosh whoosh, bzzzzz* you get the picture. No one else has anything like it and it looks and sounds awsome in battle animation.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In response to Kobold: I believe Nanami's weapon is called a segmented rod.

And Twaikin uses a shovel . . . which is pretty interesting since he has a unique counter attack with it; he scoops up dirt and throws it at the enemy.

Another weapon that I always found interesting is Kahn's Shadowbane. What exactly is it? I believe it's a trident, but you only see it when he attacks, which makes me wonder where he keeps the thing.
Smirn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Clive's Sturm.

It's not really a spectacular sight to see being used in battle - although in the original it looked much more like a shotgun blast when fired, which is cool - but it's clouded in mystery. Rumors about it having a Rune with an own will dwelling inside or it being the gun version of the Star Dragon Sword peak my interest in the history of this gun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: