Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ethical Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baka

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ethical Question Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maximillian Quixote wrote:
Okay, I've got a hypothetical situation for you. Imagine if you will, that some allpowerful diety, genie, wizard, magic elf, or Steve Buscemi made you responsible for the lives of all Small Ethiopian Children. If you abstain from watching TV, going to movies, playing video games, or using the computer then all Small Ethiopian Children will live happily ever after, never being sick or hungry or sad or anything. But if you ever turn on a TV, watch a movie, play a video game, or use a computer then 1/2 of all the Small Ethiopian Children will die horrible and painful deaths.

How long would you go without TV/Movies/Computers/Video games?

Imagine that Overpopulation wasn't an issue and that nobody but you would ever be able to know about this deal (So no, you couldn't threaten the Ethiopians until they made you king).

I live the way I want it to. I aint saint. Neither I have born as knight or angel. So, In conclusion, I would just watch, play, etc etc, and If I happened to switch to channel where I saw them (those children) dying... I would just pity them and say "Too bad." Well I cant help it, I am just another normal human who easily fell victim to those temptation. If I had tried to abstain before hand, I would just felt bad if I was to fall onto the temptation. Call me evil, but would you really go lock yourself up in a cave only to save this people while your "good" or "evil" friends calling you from outside," Hey <insert name here> Lets go and <PLAY/WATCH/ETC ETC>" I do not think so. Even if you would have abstained from it for a while but in the end... you would fell anyway. It's easier to be said than to be done. :roll:

--Sorry if you felt insulted of my opinion, I am just stating my honest opinion--
aimless

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thirty minutes. Tops. Possibly longer if said all-powerful being tossed me out to a deserted island with no technology whatsoever. But then I'd be running home. Yes. Over water.

I pity the kids, but I'm no saint.
Nash Latkje

The Guy Your Mother Warned You About...

41000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could go fo a few hours depending on what sport i'm in the middle of playing... but like the last few posts that i have seen... i'd jus tget tempted in the end and watch an anime, play on my xbox, watch T.V at some point ya get the picture... sure i pity em... but meh what can i do... i'm only human.... or am i? :twisted:

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as I would like to think that I could abstain, I really think that those Ethiopian kids would die really quickly.
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Probable forever, It gives a meaning to my life that I would never normally get.
Though I would not feel guilty about the kids if I did do any of those things. (No I am not a cold-hearted *#$@!^$ but I have no conscience)
Maximillian

Dead Soggy Old Dudes

137813 Potch
13000 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, my old topic is still alive! I am shocked and filled with awe and happiness. I have achieved Nirvana.
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Max, I could be without all that junk no problem.

Television after all is the plug-in drug whether people realize it or not. Think of how much time you waste just zoning out to sit-coms or talk shows. Take that time and put it towards a goal, bettering yourself in someway.

I admit I'm no saint myself but hell, there was a time when I lived in a dilapidated house with my friends for over 4 month. I tell ya after the first month, its extremely easy to be without video games, movies, computers, and especially television. One thing though, music is a different story.

Computers are a great source of information but its nothing I couldn't live without. You know those Ethiopians got it right after all, a hunter gatherer lifestyle that is. Now I'm not saying I'd trade places with them but if I knew they were going to live rich and full lives I'd just simply join them you know?

I dont know if I'd fit in too well though, a friend of mine is currently living in Guinea and he tells me that Americans are basically considered gods over there. He says they walk up to you in the streets and touch you because you are just so facinating to them. So that life would be more appealing to me than a daily routine of brain-rotting playstation and sitting through the same repeated programs of Seinfeld.

Music though..couldn't do it haha I'd feel bad for the kids but thats just the way the cookie crubles I suppose.
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maximillian wrote:

Quote:

Okay, I've got a hypothetical situation for you. Imagine if you will, that some allpowerful diety, genie, wizard, magic elf, or Steve Buscemi made you responsible for the lives of all Small Ethiopian Children. If you abstain from watching TV, going to movies, playing video games, or using the computer then all Small Ethiopian Children will live happily ever after, never being sick or hungry or sad or anything. But if you ever turn on a TV, watch a movie, play a video game, or use a computer then 1/2 of all the Small Ethiopian Children will die horrible and painful deaths.

How long would you go without TV/Movies/Computers/Video games?

Imagine that Overpopulation wasn't an issue and that nobody but you would ever be able to know about this deal (So no, you couldn't threaten the Ethiopians until they made you king).

Of course!! My family is so dumb. We have broken at least 5 televisions sets and I've gone months without a television and I only got a computer about 3 years ago so I know I can do it. It's not like I can't live without it anyway! Sure it was hard but I still did it. And since I know I can do it without getting something in return, I would most definitely be able to do it if I know I was saving the lives of those poor kids.

Sure, we're all human...but there are so many people who live lavish lives without even considering how other people are living. If you think about it, there are so many things that we surround ourselves with that we absolutely do not need! Like TiVo...WTF?!! Be happy you get to even watch TV, you jerks! There are people out there that watching TV is the last thing in their minds...they're probably thinking how long they have to live because they're starving and we're thinking about what show we're going to miss when we go out somewhere?!!

Pierrot Le Fou wrote:

Quote:

I dont know if I'd fit in too well though, a friend of mine is currently living in Guinea and he tells me that Americans are basically considered gods over there. He says they walk up to you in the streets and touch you because you are just so facinating to them. So that life would be more appealing to me than a daily routine of brain-rotting playstation and sitting through the same repeated programs of Seinfeld.

Dude, that is so messed up... they see us as gods? I feel terrible when I think about how hard other people's lives are...and because I was very poor when I was younger, I know exactly how it feels to not eat for a day and let me tell you it's not fun.

lol! Stupid Seinfeld. I hate that show.

And anyway...video games are great and all...but for some reason, I feel like there comes a time when they are left at the bottom of your list of priorities. It's sad to think about...sorta...but I probably won't even play video games when I get older. I think people need to have a conscious and know when it's time to give back to the world.

I don't mean, you guys because a lot of you are probably still young, but I'm talking about the rich and successful pigs that buy a new car every week and NEVER give money to charity or even to some program in their community. THOSE people should really be ashamed of themselves. Shoot...I know as soon as I get rich (ha ha...yeah I KNOW I'm going to get rich and become successful...) I'm going to give back to the world... I would feel like dirt if I didn't...that's just how I feel.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Abyssinian

Abyss Mercenary Union

56886 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i'd find something else to entertain myself... seeing listening to music isn't listed, i could be doing that. Of course it'll bring me to beg on the streets seen i work as a hardware tecnician after-school, and if i can't use PC's... i can say goodbye to cigarettes and alcohol.
But presuming money was not an issue, i guess i could stay away from it all... and plu, i could always stay with friends and all.... even though i cant stay with them whole weeks... but i guess my suffering is worth the good life of all those children...
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I could live without this stuff, but I'm sure I can't live without reading books. I would give up a lot of things to get the opportunity to read. TV is fine, but I read at least 1000 pages in the week. This is why I haven't much money. I buy a lot of books, as you can imagine.

The Fool
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I gotta say I'm slightly surprised and disturbed by some of the answers people are giving. I would find it easy to give up those things, sure I'd miss them but there's a whole lot more to do in the world, thousands of places I haven't seen, thousands of books I haven't read, thousands of music I haven't listened to and thousands of people I haven't met. The hardest bit would be avoiding TVs since they're in almost every building and plenty of other places.
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i wouldnt help those kids.

if they arent killing each other they are spreading STDS

then americs gives african countries billions of dollars and the selfish leaders over there use to for there own needs!

i read this book about how african mothers will have over 10 kids normally because most dont survive!
You shouldnt keep reproducing if you cant substain the life of your offspring!

this may sound racist but its not, skin color isnt the issue here its ethics and how differnt people do things.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, only half of them would die? >.>;;

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well..can I take my girlfriend with me??
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nocturne1337 wrote:
then americs gives african countries billions of dollars and the selfish leaders over there use to for there own needs!

And this is a reason to not help the kids? It's not as though they are responsible for the leaders' misdeeds.

I'm not pretending to be a saint here. As I said, those children would die very quickly if they were put under my responsibility. And I would probably not feel that guilty about it either. It would have been a responsibility that was imposed upon me and one for which I never asked. But the logic you use boggles my mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: