Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ethical Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So in this hypothetical situation, what happens if I commit suicide? Does the responsibility pass on to someone else, do they all die, do they live happily ever after, or does it revert to the way it normally was, with circumstances determining what will happen?

T'is important, you see.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There many things to take in mind in hypothetical questions such as these.

But more to the point when ever I'm asked a hypothetical question, like would you rather kiss a cow or run one street block naked.

I always chose the third answer, what that may be?

Well neither I can have a choice about it, and then you're going to say if you don't do anything you will die.

And die I will, I rather die than be forced to do something I don't want.
But kissing a cow is not THAT bad you're going to say, perhaps I will basically die from my stubbornness to be controlled to be told what to do.

So I chose the third answer but since this is hypothetical you could find a billion reasons to make only the two choices available to me.

First of all I don't watch TV or movies and the computer and internet are a new thing to me I didn't have them all this years I could do without them for years to come.

But for games are different, they are a major part of my life now I couldn't do without them in my daily life.

But then again I could, I spend most of my time playing games lately, but there so many things I wanted to do but I always say "I better find some time for something else" so I could just forget video games I could go burn my collection and look on to other things.

I'm quite surprised with some of the responses here I really didn't expect you to be so self-centered but I can understand.
From what you said it seems you all had good to normal lives no pain and suffering, always in the safe blanket of society and your parents.

Well I have being through poverty I have being abused as a child (not sexually fortunately) I have being hungry, so I know how it is to suffer and to be humiliated.

So I don't think any human deserves to go through what I went through, so of course I would help the children by default, besides the alterative would be a horrible death for them, if I could get out of it with out the kids being saved and without getting killed I would, because by saving them that way they would probably turn like you. *hides to avoid the throwing of assorted items*

*pops up head to say a few last words*
And then if the same hypothetical question only with different children suffering elsewhere was thrown at them they would answer "let them suffer I'm not leaving my PC"
And remember I don't mean to be offensive in any way, just stating my opinion so please do not flame me.

And I could elaborate more on the third answer and about leaving my games but I don't due to time constraints, this post is big as it is and I'm tired.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course you could turn the question around and consider what an impoverished Ethiopian child would say if you offered them a life of comfort in exchange for the death of some unknown to them well off American or European person, I wonder what the majority of their responses to that would be.

Then again I'm a cynic.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

why stop at Ethiopia? there are people even starving and horrbly poor in other countries, people go and say "safe the people in Africa" when in America we have our own impoverish people, they somtimes have 20 kids, appear on TV segments for "feed the children" all saying how they love god.

how is not playing with electronics going to save them too?

as I may of said before, the only way to help everyone is with unifycation and cultural dominance. don't run around bearfoot, don't live in mud-and-dung huts....where brand cloathing and live like us.

thena gain, some people do and there still is a problem.

this kind of hypothetical situation I still find stupid, it really is. True sacrific would be like, "chop off your legs to let them live in a heaven on earth" or "get a lobotomy to let them have Utiopia" just think if somone else found out, another bunch of kids they want to take part in "this magic thing" as well.
"why do you get singled out? what makes you special". while somone now is handed a silver plater of "good times", won't they be bitter? why do the children who aren't Ethiopian have to suffer for my abstance?

Oh I know how about "kill your lover for world peace". This situation seems like a curse more than anything else, the burden. what if you walk down the street and turn your head to a TV that is in a shop window? or what if you go to a cafe that has TVs?
or...you have a job that requires you to use a computer. OR teliconferance.

OH NO, the greed, to make money you just killed a kid.
------------------------------

heres a good debate...i guess.

here is a horrble youth, in time things will only get worse, he'll be a horrble person, bring a near world war, use slaves and just bring forth the most realsitic "dark world" possible. what may be may be, what hapens will, during this time and in the future. there are possbly 2 or 3 outcout comes, but one of the stands out.
in any given ammount of time their decendent will do wonderfull things, cause the reverse of all the bad deeds done by their ancestor, they will be brillent, cure illnesses, bring fourth a golden age, and a utiopia.

as stated, during the fall of this tyrant and the birth of this predicesor it is uncertain if the dark times will linger.

now you have a chose. you can let the child live, or kill him on the spot.

it may be unknown if a differnt person will come and bring foruth the utopia. all is know is letting the child live or letting it die would damn the manjoirty of the world in some way or another. one will take up to 200 years possibly, the other obviosuly will require a lifetime. this indivudal will die from old age at 98, and still be mentaly healthy at that age.

what is to be done?
-------------------
(i thought of this for a story, the burned is placed on a character i made to see what he will do, I can't figure out how the choise will affect him, his futrue and image and what it will mean to chose now or later)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So maybe half of you would give up TV, computers, movies, and other forms of electronic entertainment in order to save Ethiopian children.

How many of you would give up $30 a month to save Ethiopian children?

There's already a not-so-difficult way to help other people out. You don't really need to ask a hypothetical question like this - all you really need to do is ask, "So who here regularly gives up a portion of their salary to help out children in impovrished countries?"
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But Arcana, that is just helping them, they still may be sad and a bit hungry.
this case, its a magic help. not a $30 "fix it". recall a magic elf, or superpowerd blender-man is going to make sure they never are sad or anything ever again.

helping with money isn't like helping with magic.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
Living without a computer would be damn near impossible, especially considering all of it I need for school. If you limited it down to recreational purposes on the computer I might do it. After about a year off it'd be pretty easy.

Forget school. I need to work. My landlord would not be very understanding, and probably wouldn't believe I couldn't work due to fate of children. Would you?
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I live for self-scarifice. (That was kind of ironic) to save the children I'd just use the telephone to entertain myself. Talking to my loved ones (and when I need a joke, a prank call should do the trick) honestly, you people need to be more resourceful.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just to make sure that you guys know about what we're talking about here is a link to an in-depth report of CBS News.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/ethiopia/

I hope that if you bother to read it, it can make you take a wiser decision.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you know, before you can actually answer this question, you need to ask yourself, what are your morals? Are you doing good by abstaining from all forms of entertainment, or are you allowing the children to suffer even more?

I'm talking about euthanasia.

let's look at the Terry "Shindler" Shiavo debate from a few weeks ago. the husband wanted to pull out her feeding tube because he said he didn't want to see her suffer anymore. some thought it was cruel, while others believed it was ending her suffering.

so, looking at it that way, based on your morals and values, would it be better to save the children from death and stop watching Tv, or save them from suffering by playing Suikoden?

personally, i would have to give up all forms of entertainment. Why? because although i would be prolonging their suffering, pain and misfortune would still exist whether or not i decided to save them. Still, there is always the chance that they can live and better their lives.

oh, and by the way, that stupid genie or whatever it was is a nerd for making me give up stuff.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no no he said when you don't they get magic kudos. when you watch TV they mysteriously die, (like the joke in my sig)

thats what I read. No electronic entertainment=kids have no suffering and will never be sad.

I still think we need to up the stakes with more of these hypothentical ethical questions.

Blade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ummm......my job requries me to watch TV and use the internet...TV and Radio Broadcaster, so if its a choice between the SEC and my paycheck...sorry kids.

UberYuber wrote:
Maybe if I keep saying stupid stuff I'll eventually get quoted in a sig!

There ya go UberYuber.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldnt take the deal in the first place because I doubt I could handle the responsibility of having the lives of all of these children hanging on my very actions. Besides that I doubt that I could last a week without turning on the television or playing a game or something along those lines much less go on the internet. Besides to survive something like that i would probably have to become Amish or something along those lines and why would I want to do something like that? Sacrifice everything in my life pretty much, friends, family, the games I love so much ok well like so much I cant say that I love them for a responsibility I did not ask for. So frankly I wouldnt take it in the first place and if it was forced on me you know what? It wouldnt weigh on my conscience when i failed to live up to it merely because hey it wasnt my choice to put me in that situation and it will be on someone elses head not mine.

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you know, the reason little children in impovershed countries are starving for two reasons:

any aid sent doesn't go to them, but rather the people in charge of the country. Those fancy cars didn't just magically appear.

they need to learn how to farm. I mean, planting and watering a crop is one thing, but there's also a thing called crop rotation. the land's nutrients are used up when you plant a crop, and the land needs time to "recharge". so, you plant crops in other parts of the land, moving the planting site as you yield produce. and eventually you can plant crops back at the original site once the land is full of nutirents again.

that, and economical reform. they need that too.

Perfect Harmony

5410 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How long would I survive withot Tv, a video game or a PC?
Heh... I would be normal one month...and than I'd go crazy...
But if it is for helping innocent people...I'd rather kill myself than let those innocent children die...
I am a man of honor and wisdom...and I will die for save someone....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: