Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ethical Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I gotta be honest...

Bye, Ethiopian kids. I think I'd be more concerned with this if the reward for my restraint was something that would actually BETTER society rather than simply keeping things the same.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something had to have gone horribly wrong for this situation to have happened.

I'd probably play the games/tv/computers. It's not really my fault if they die from this. It's the fault of whatever put the children and I in this crazy limbo to begin with.

As Schala-Kid said: The rights of the individual over what's best for the masses.
Maximillian

Dead Soggy Old Dudes

137813 Potch
13000 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stampede wrote:
I gotta be honest...

Bye, Ethiopian kids. I think I'd be more concerned with this if the reward for my restraint was something that would actually BETTER society rather than simply keeping things the same.

It would better things. The small Ethiopian children will never be sick or hungry or sad again. They will live happily ever after, so to speak. But if you touch video games/computers/TV then they will die horrible painful deaths.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maxy wrote:
The small Ethiopian children will never be sick or hungry or sad again.

Not even I have it that good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At first,I do not wish to be in charge for the lives of some ethiopian children but if I am in charge for their lives, I do not think restraining my self from watching TV, playing video games or sitting in front the computer will save their lives.

However, if it does help them I will gladly do it without any hesitation but it well not .

What we should is do something that well help them at least live without worrying about food or clothes and that will only happen if every one of us help them in anyway.

In my country, we donate some money and clothes for the poor every year and that is the least we could do for them.

Last edited by Njord on Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*palmfaces*

just one country? how curle when darkness and injustice is rampent in all corners of the world, even variying degrees withn a given areas.

I want to write, but canot quite give a name to the lord of misfortune but anyway because possibley exists there will always be inequalities, from the dawn of time till humans cannot keep up the game, even if the species splits and forms a new one there will always be poverty.

with, possibly one exeption....as I've see in some vidio games, (and under the influance some of the ideals of the villans) you reset the world.

if the human species total populaton was 1 million and we lived as hunter gathers then, then well be equal, it would take a force more powerfull than any god or demon, genie or elf lord to allow ever human lower class to jungle dwelling native to live like high income/millionairs to live as such.

good times bring an influx in population, more people less caring capasity.

then of course some moron will wish for no more war or sickness.

even more poeple.

------------------
Back to Africa now.
wow that country has an American-like govrenment? what went wrong?
are you sure its not their own fault, or somone elses?

its so unfair they live in a desert.........

want to save them? the only answer is a mean one and would make any extream liberal cry and any socioligst cry.

make said country yours...if its ownd by you do as you please, they'll have your/our govrenment and a better life.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dented star

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

give up computers for good would be hard for me i use them for work and email alwys handy for shopping. but what possible good could come fom me not using the internet but if it did help those poor children of course any thing as trval as computers but if we have flying cars in the furture tough luck

Quote:
[i]i do like my cattle
farmer john

Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to thinh that if I had that decision to make that I would do the right thing. I would try to get all my intertainment by reading a lot of books and getting out to do things to contain my thoughts. The sad reality is that I would more than likely cave into the temptation unless somrone dropped me off in an area where there was none of that stuff to distract me.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ethopians aside....I could go without TV/movies/video games pretty much for a whole school year...

....ok maybe not the TV...cause now that I think about it even watching the TV for 5 minute wouldn't count...

my parents have a strict rule that we can't play video games or movies till the school year is over

computer though...sorry no take my computer away. You'd have to restrain me from myself day and night if you took my computer away.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd break all of those electronics so I would not be able to do what is unthinkable. I would save the children. This is a definate yes. I would never do what would kill people. I could not live with someone else's blood on my hands.
Blackwind

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would not consider the blood to be on my hands. I'm not the one who kills them. I'm not the one who dicided that my actions are life and death for those people. The magic pixie/wizard/god thing that made that decree would be the one with the dirty hand. When I turn on the tv and see those children on the news I will nourn for them but I will know that it wasn't me that chose that fate.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What the main question here is whether you would be willing to sacrifice something for total strangers and ones you'd never meet.

I don't think I could do it. I only have a handful of people I truly call friends, and I barely know my extended family, so of these 10-15 people that I DO know, I would be willing to sacrifice anything if it helped them out. I actually care for them. Quite frankly, and this may sound heartless to some of you, people who die half way around the world have next to zero impact on my emotions. Sure, I'm sad whenever a tragedy occurs like in the case of natural disasters, but my sadness is more of a general thing about the world and how it can be so cruel. In no way do I feel emotionally distraught over the lives and deaths of these strangers, and I don't expect them to feel emotionally distraught if something happened to me.

It's too much to expect of humanity, that we should care for each and every human across the world, all 6 billion of them. Learn to take care of those around you first, and hopefully it spreads (but it's still unlikely).

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, a lot of people here downright frighten me on a moral level.

Would I give up my computer, TV, movies, and video games for my entire life to save an anonymous Ethiopean child? Yup.

Of course, my reasons are completely selfish, as much as I'd like to say "It's because I'm a good person and you're not :P". Fact is, I really don't like any of those things. Movies can be decent, but I'll live without them. I've seen my favourites enough already. I never watch TV anyway. I hate my computer, I only ever use it to kill time. Video games I might miss, but if I got rid of them all, I'd be perfectly fine. The reason I say my reasoning is selfish is because I want to get rid of all this hinderences on my life. I feel that technology is slowing me down more than it is aiding me, and I'd really like to just unplug myself from it all and curl up with some good books for the rest of my life. My reasoning is that as long as it's here, what the hell, why not look up some Suikoden info, and join a forum? But if I really had to abandon it all, I wouldn't have any second thoughts.

I'd just use the Ethopian child as leverage. As a reason to abandon it all. The Ethiopian child living is fantastic and all, but really, I'm just using the challenge as a means of justifying my alienation from all things technological.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Krawnik wrote:
Wow, a lot of people here downright frighten me on a moral level.

Would I give up my computer, TV, movies, and video games for my entire life to save an anonymous Ethiopean child? Yup.

Of course, my reasons are completely selfish, as much as I'd like to say "It's because I'm a good person and you're not :P". Fact is, I really don't like any of those things. Movies can be decent, but I'll live without them. I've seen my favourites enough already. I never watch TV anyway. I hate my computer, I only ever use it to kill time. Video games I might miss, but if I got rid of them all, I'd be perfectly fine.

But what if you had to actually give up something you really cared for then, if movies, TV, video games, etc isn't for you? What if you had to give up... (I dunno)... clothes, for the rest of your life??? Remember, it's not about WHAT you're giving up but the FACT that you're sacrificing something for an anonymous Ethiopian kid? Could you make a huge sacrifice like that?

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684690 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would probably live my life just as i do now. Although i would realize what the most morally right thing to do would be, to save the lives of the people, I think i could not stop myself from endulging in these activities. In our day these things, watching TV, going to movies, playing video games, or using the computer, are a part of everyday life. I would find it difficult to function in our society withough using a computer and watching tv. I could possibly give up going to the movies rather easily and maybe even playing video games, although i believe i would lose the battle against video games.

As far as using the computer is concerned, i don't think i could get around this one. I need my computer for school and everyday life. It would put me at a serious disadvantage if i were not to use a computer even for a week so i don't think i could do without it. In regards to a tv this is another impossible task. Tvs are everywhere. In order to avoid tvs you would have to literally go live in a cave. You couldn't go anywhere or pretty much do anything without seeing a tv broadcasting something.

All in all the right thing to do would be to do anything possible to save a human's life, but at the same time i don't believe it to be possible in the united states at this time. As much as i would like to save the people, i just don't think i would have the will power to accomplish such a task.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: