Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Single Character Magic Combinations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Single Character Magic Combinations Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most people have used Mazus in Suikoden II and have noticed that he gets an extra spell: Blazing Camp, a lightning and fire attack that does 2000 damage. This attack is a combination attack that is normally done with two characters using runes one after another.
What many don't know, however is that Luc is another character who can use combination magic alone. I placed a Cyclone Rune, a Water Rune (and I also had a magician rune on him, but I don't think this contributes to the effect) on Luc, and he was able to use a magic combination attack alone.
My question is this: has anyone else found specific rune combinations for other characters where they can combine magic alone? I've only ever tried it with Luc, and I used two higher-tier runes as opposed to regular Water and Wind runes, but Mazus can pull off Blazing Camp with a Fire Rune and a Thunder Rune. Also, I haven't found other combinations that have worked with either Luc or Mazus, so maybe they are all character-specific, and I'm guessing that only 'true' magicians can wield this power, since I tried it with Jowy, and it didn't work. Finding things like this out is just another reason why I love Suikoden II so much. :)
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any character who has 2 or more points in their level 4 spell slots are able to use combo spells alone. You can use lower-tier runes such as fire/lightning to activate it as well. It's just that characters who get 2 or more points are rare--which makes one assuem only "true" magic users can pull it off. However, you can have many others pull it off as well.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*Imagines a Gamesharked Rikimaru casting Blazing Camp*
Swedish Ninja Pirate

7156 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, the only two I got two cast "double magic" is Mazus and Luc. But I dont use many magicians. I rather use brute force. But I alays got one magician just in case. And of course you always have Riou.

I rarely use those double magic. Dont think it is worth it. Dont have he exact numbers but I think casting Blazing Camp once does less damage then casting the level 4 magic twice . Not sure though.
Fragola

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never even knew about these combination attacks...o.o How do you do them with two characters? Just using runes one after the other?? Because I never noticed anything different... What are the conditions for these to be possible?
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem is that Suikoden is too easy and too short to really be able to use uber speels that do that much damage. Even blue moons article about having rina doing 2000 damage is strange because there no point in doing such a thing, theres no uber strong eniemies to fight that you need these. MEh i dont know i usually just go with a pyhsical party and sometimes someone with a lightning/thunder/rage rune (since they dont own your own party in this)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When you have 2 or more level 4 elemental spells in your party in Suikoden 2 there will be 'extra' spells listed at the bottom of the list below the level 4 spells. You can select these, the combinations that work are Wind&Water, Water&Lightning, Lightning&Fire, Fire&Earth, Earth&Wind. As mentioned the higher tier runes also work.

In Suikoden 1 as people can only equip one rune, you need two or more people with level 4 elemental spells in your party for this to work and you cannot select the combination spell, it just happens automatically.

From memory, in Suikoden 1 the combination spells are a lot stronger and well worth using all the time. In Suikoden 2 however because they use 2 spell points they are only worth using if you don't have the higher tier runes (if you have Fire and Lightning it is worthwhile, but not if you have Rage and Thunder). It also depends on the situation of course, the extra 200 points damage against a boss might help you kill them one turn sooner and stop you from dying, or you may need the healing a certain combination gives, it just depends, really. I often use them just because they look cool.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have gotten Tir, Luc, and Mazus, it works if they have 2 level 4 or 5 magic points, Jowy can have it to, if you do the easter egg and buy 2 runes in harmony.

As I just read in Sabens post, sorry but great minds think alike, i need to read post before I post.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, looking at the list on Suikosource it seems a character only needs a MAG stat of 160 to get 2 fourth level spells. So anyone can do single person runic unites (provided they have a 2 free rune slots) and if you are lucky with stats you don't even need to feed them too many MAG stones (maybe just get them up to level 99). People that can realistically get 2 magic points however are: Luc, Mazus, Flik, Jowy, Rina, Sierra, Tengaar and Viki. They are the characters that have either A or B ranks in MAG. The large majority of other characters are C or average rank with only characters like Gadget, Bolgan, Georg, etc having lower than C. Through use of MAG stones most of the 'average' MAG character should easily be able to reach a MAG of 160 that is needed for two 4th level spells, I'm not sure if items such as Magic Rings that boost MAG stat enable more spell slots, but from memory I don't think that they do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really liked the unite spells in Suikoden 1&2 it's too bad that they got rid of them in 3. It would have been so cool to see it in 3d and imagine if they made special unites for the true runes it could have really been something special. Just imagine the power of the true fire rune and the true lighting rune performing a unite attack that does 5000 points of damage well maybe not that much but you know what I mean with the nice new ps2 graphics they could have made it look really cool.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:
...I'm not sure if items such as Magic Rings that boost MAG stat enable more spell slots, but from memory I don't think that they do.

I remember that magic-boosting equipment does not add extra magic slots when they hit those milestones. They only affect the power.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To add to Saben's list, obviously tir Mcdohl has 2 level 4 rune slots. Surprisingly, i believe he's been toned down from the first game.

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

surprisingly, camus (sII) also can cast blazing camp; i've had it happen with him several times...

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With Camus it would have been a matter of being lucky enough for him to get higher than average magic stats. As for Tir, I'm not sure of his actual stats as he is not listed at Suikosource, but yes, I believe he has a B rank in MAG although I cannot confirm that. :P
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned about them on accident. I don't really like them, I wanted to cast two level 4 spells, but instead they gave me something else. I had no idea what was going on. But yeah, it was Mazus and Luc, final battle. I've never tried anything else, unless it was an accident again. Flik can do one, can't he? I'm pretty sure I've seen him contribute one half of one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: