Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

DS v PSP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Choose your destiny
Nintendo DS
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
sony's PSP
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: DS v PSP Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After looking up and down for something similar to thispost... I found nothing and thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks is better and all alike... ok I going to post some facts I know about the two and then... let the discussion commence...

Nintendo DS;

-The Nintendo DS has 2 screens as we all know (that's why it's called DS for Dual screen); the bottom one being a touch screen. Not all games require that you use the touch screen at all times, but when a game uses it, it can be great fun and rather smart if you know what i mean... so if it were suikoden you wouldn't have to press anything to open up the menu as it could be in the touch screen section... It also helps in a sense. We all know handheld systems don't have the biggest of screens, especially when it's suppose to fit in your pocket. And sometimes a menu or text or whatever shows up and there goes some of the screen. Not the DS. In most cases the bottom screen will take this menu or text (item things and setup you know...), allowing you full screen of what's originally showing. Remember, most cases... nott all. And one game in particular "Feel the Magic" uses the touch screen for something else: blowing! Some of the minigames require you to blow on the touch screen. A rather smart idea indeed...

A big part of games... multiplayer... For most games (handheld systems of course), you only need one cart. With a range of about 100 feet (I guess it depends on where you're at) you or a friend or complete stranger can appear in a game without the other people requiring one and play a game. Pretty cool right... Some games, though, require everyone have a cart, but we all can't have everything... so I guess that's both good and bad...

The games come as very little cards, not CD's. And let me tell you, for a handheld non-CD based game/games....these games look great in the graphics department and more... it would seem that these little babie's have more power han the old playstation and Nintendo 64... now that's impressive...

Game lineup seems it's pretty good (I remember someone in this forum told me that Legend of mana was lined up for the Nintendo DS... I think it was in the 'what games are you looking forward to' thread) Of course, not every system has just a power house of launch games. But with this bad boy being region free, if you want to import a game, go ahead! There is no need to stick with what you got in your country... I think if you import from Japan though... you better know how to read Japanese...

Pictochat seems rather cool (though I haven't experienced that yet). Don't feel like talking or lost your voice? Go to pictochat and chat with some friends/family/some stranger. Heck, doodle if you want to... lol ... but this can also be very annoying if someone was to do this on you but I think there is a way to block them from doing this in the first place...

So, like other systems, there are a few bugs at launch (sadly), and not everyone wil be pleased with what's going to be launched for the Nintendo DS. But if you haven't got one, GET ONE....unless you hate Nintendo, then that's you're own personal thing, please though... don't just say this is crap or whaever just because you have a personal hatred towards some things... unless you've already experieced it :P . But if you're thinking of getting one, go for it. The library is only going to get better... besides it is Nintendo... and they are big in games, and who knows what right around the corner for it, the future for this seems to be bright :wink: .

The Nintendo DS is also backwards compatible... meaning they can play Gameby advance games and SP games... which adds to a little... i don't know... feature?

PSP a.k.a Playstation portable;

This is Sony's first ever handheld gaming system... and is seems great and promising...

As soon as you lay eyes on the PSP, you'll immediately notice how nang it looks... with that great baclk colour surrounding the screen . Sony's new portable is by far one of the greatest looking devices in my opinion, it's contoured and shiny black, really to understand how amazing the PSP is you have to see one for yourself... as well as looking great it is also very functional...The device is curved in such a way as to give you something to hold onto instead of causing you to get crab hands (which gameboys did), there are two medium outward arcs on each end, which fit into your palms, then all the buttons are laid out to be easy to reach. All the controls work well... it's just like holding a controller. The system seems to be very sturdy, sporting an aluminum interior frame, and everything feels solid. It's also comfortable to hold and nice to look at, so it's got the whole package in the design department... oh and it fits into your poecket as well...

The PSP is like a min PS2 and it manages to get good battery life which is extremely important. The system packs duel Mips-4000 processors each going at 333 mhz. Not to mention 2 graphics cores(one for effects and one 166 mhz core for the raw graphics themselves). To make it even better the PSP has a dedicated sound core and video decoder, not to mention over 32 megs of system ram and 4 megs of video ram. This thing is a JNX of a console (meaning a God lol), it can pump out at least as many polygons as the PS2, except it can pump them out with hardware Anti-aliasing... So instead of using Cpu power to put AA in a game, developers can now just let the video hardware do it for them, this technically allows more power for AI, better graphics, sound, frame rate, and all that... Not to mention with a disc format as good as the UMD there is lots of room for hi-res textures, sounds, and fmvs... I think what we have seen of the PSP so far is just the tip of the ice-berg, once developers have more time to squeeze the hardware like they did with PS2 we will see games far better than anything seen on the PS2 (to go anyway), if only for the reason of hardware AA and all the cpu power the system will save not emulating AA like PS2 does. So those are the guts of the system, some of it's other technical achievements include a seemingly big and bright high resolution screen, 802.11 B wireless networking, which can connect to internet right out of the box (great), and everything using very low power consumption to make everything last so much longer. So just to put it simply the PSP is astoundingly powerful, with it's multi-core design the system has the potential to rival the xbox in power and pretty much crush the Ps2 from a technical stand-point (who'd have thought something so small can challenge the Xbox... lol elephant vs a mouse) the games we see on the PSP in a year will be as good graphically if not better than what's on PS2 now, and by the end of the systems life we will be seeing graphics no one today would think possible. This is a system clearly built for the future... games will become reality... or so itwould seem lol...

This just adds more sugar to an already sweet deal, the PSP comes with a built in Mp3 player, Mpeg 4 player (cool huh), and picture viewer. Also with the easy to use wireless im sure we will see online gaming soon, not to mention all the options and little features of the PSP that make it so great. One good example is the stand-by mode, this lets you "hibernate" the PSP at any time during a game just like a personal computer, the neat thing is this starts you back EXACTLY where you were (or so i'm told), you can pause and go into stand-by and when you turn it back on you won't have missed a single frame (again or so i'm told). Plus stand-by mode takes almost no battery which is very very good. This is just one of many small features that make the PSP great, from adjustable brightness depending on situation to all it's extra functions the PSP can be more than a gaming device... roughly like the gizmondo i guess..., but it makes a great dedicated gaming device, once again it just has the whole package. especialy the MPEG4 player... just marvelous...

okay this is the problem... no don't get put off by the first sentence JNX will make it all better... the games... depends on what type you are into in games... However in my opinion PSP has an amazing library of already released and upcoming games including Metal Gear acid. From a new Twisted metal to Gta:PSP it's looking to be a great year for PSP, even though it just launched... lol...

The PSP is an extremely good portable gaming console, for a first attempt this is amost perfect... I have essentially no complaints about the PSP and nothing but praise, The PSP is the future, it's sleek and sexy... just like JNX lol, not to mention an amazing technical achievement... It will be nice to have some real competition for Nintendo which seems to always get what they want... I think, and maybe they will raise the bar for their next handheld, but for this generation my money is going towards the PSP.

Okay now for my conclusion... I would say that the Nintendo DS is for a new... xtremely new experience with games... and the PSP is for also a great gaming experience with extra added features such as the MPEG4 player... I would probably choose the PSP... well... what about you guys and galz?
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i vote for the PSP because it rocks and anything with playstation in is name rocks i mean seriously a hand held playstation is amazing.The DS is cool but i am on the side of sony and the PSP! :D

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are more Playstation games I'm into that Nintendo games, so I'm actually inclined to vote for the PSP. A friend of my brothers brought round his imported DS, and whilst it plays well, and has alot of nifty features, I really think the body of it looks shoddy and cheap.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its a tough choice to make, the Ds is good but I havent played a PSP yet but heres what I think.
PSP-Its got good graphics and all but I haven't seen any quality games for it yet so we will haveto play it by ear.

DS-The best so far the lanch games were sorta lackluster, but its gonna get good real soon, with Castlevania DS, Advance Wars DS, and Animal Crossing Ds. That is when things will start to get good for this andheld. :o
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Sony PSP, I've no interest in more rehashes of the same Nintendo crap AGAIN.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
HK-47

Assasin Droids

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awareness:I seems Chris x forgot to vote giving the DS its only vote.

Rant:I believe that the Psp will dominate upon its release with sharper visuals.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To agree with everything stated, I believe the games for PSP will just be so much better than recycled Nintendo games. Even though the price is most likely going to be much higher than the DS, the greater variety and quality of the games and the better visuals and options of the PSP will make it definitely worth the price IMO.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:shock: not even a single vote for the Nintendo's Dual screen... my prediction was right... I ask you all... if the suikoden series was to be on Nintendo's dual screen... just imagine alright, I know it's not possible... but if it was, would you still vote for the Playstation portable?

suikoden series... or other games, suikoden series r other games.
Nintendo Dual screen or playstation portable, nintendo dual scree or playstation portable?

are you guys and galz voting for the console and it's capabilities or the games for the console?

just curious I guess lol
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's a bit unfair to vote for a console based on its capabilities. It seems pointless in my mind. I don't buy a console based on what it can do, I buy a console based on what it does do; i.e. the games.

The DS may be able to do a whole manner of things, but in the end, if the games are awful, I'm not buying it.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Sun_Quan

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you ask me, both handhelds have a ton of potential. The DS is awesome from what I've played so far, very unique experience. But not enough must-have games for it as of yet, so I am going to hold back on buying until I see something that says "Holy Moses, I MUST have it!"

As for the PSP, I think the thing will do very well, but it'll have it's drawbacks as well. The thing looks very impressive, and I can't wait to see what capabilities it's going to have. However, I'll also be holding back and waiting to see what happens with this one.

And in regards of RPGs, BOTH systems will have them. The DS already has many announced.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well JNX even if the DS had suikoden (thank you god for suikoden) on it i would still vote for the PSP for what it can do.It can do so many things the DS can not and never will be able to do so i would still get it and vote for it even if suikoden(thank you god for suikoden) was on the DS

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure the PSP will be more loved by anyone over 15, but I sure don't want the DS to just fail like people already think, damn it I just paid $150+ tax for that thing! Today I just put down my 5th PSP pre order, I have 3 $50 preorders and have been saving up over $350 for them as of now. I am sure I'll be getting 2, one for me and one for my best friend but the rest will be either sold on ebay or returned back to where I got them depending on how hot it is after launch.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know what while I voted for the PSP and I would get one if I could the price they are going to release it for is absolutely rediculous for a hand held system. I am sorry but when i went to Electronics Boutique and asked what the price for said system was going to be I was floored when the person told me it was going to be around four hundred dollars Canadian. Which frankly is absolutely insane in my personal opinion considering that dont think even the Playstation two in the beginning was going for that price. Well then again it probably was but it's also a console system and well yeah they always tend to be more expensive then their counterparts. As such more than likely I will not get on until the price has been lowered a great deal and it is more worth my money to do so. Naturally as my plan will still be to get it the occasional purchase of any games that come to my personal attention will be in order.

Now when it comes to the Nintendo DS I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in picking this up regardless of if it comes out with anything even remotely decent. I mean sure there is some potential in it but I am not all that tempted until they can show me it is actually worth getting by releasing some cool rpgs or something like that. I'd like to see something like ummm how about Tales of insert new name here. That would be tempting not to mention a Harvest Moon game but we shall see.

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't vote; there is no Soylent Green option.

I'd go PSP simply because it's a playstation..
Although I have to admit that the last gameboy game I played in a long time, the pokemon series, was REALLY addictive and I might just get a gameboy just for those.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, this thread is full of blatant Sony fanboyism... "anything with playstation in is name rocks", "I'd go PSP simply because it's a playstation.."

Remember back in the day when the Playstation and N64 came out, everyone wanted to stick with Nintendo and bashed Sony for being the new idiotic entry into the console market?

At least provide a real reason why you'd want to vote the PSP, not just, "OT'S S0ny OMG gotta have it SONY kix ASSSS YEAH".

As for Nintendo's old rehashed stuff... Nintendo's actually pretty innovative on the game front. Need I remind you who came out the concept for tag-team kart racing where you have a driver and a gunner? Who came out with four-player battles where you throw your opponents off of a platform? That's scratching the surface. You can laud Sony for its games, sure, but don't do it on the criteria that Sony attracts more innovative developers than Nintendo does. Pick some REAL reason.

Welcome, you've hit upon a peeve of mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: