Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Official S4 English Website Up: Did anyone know about this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Official S4 English Website Up: Did anyone know about this? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.konami.com/gs/suikoden4/official/flash/

Has this been up for a while, or is it relatively new. I googled this and it came up, where the japanese site had always come up before.
Kuromimi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aww, Chiepoo is referred to as a Nay-Kobold. Perhaps they thought the race name was a combination of their hometown (Nay/Nei) and kobold instead of a combination of neko (cat) and kobold. Oh well.

What's surprising is that the majority of character names and locations seem to be translated perfectly so far.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, strangely enough, I prefer Nay-Kobold. Even 13 year-old wannabe Japanese kids know what "neko" translates as, so I'm doubting it's a translation error made by guys who do this for a living. Kobold isn't a common word, sure, but still... I'd like to think that this was intentional.

The website's been up for a week, maybe two. You haven't been out of the loop for long, Marshmallow.

Last edited by Leb on Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, Kawano herself has stated that Nay-Kobold's name comes from the fact that they are "kobolds" that are from "Nay." Thus, the English is frighteningly accurate.

Character names should be accurate because they romanized all character names since the game was released. Names of locations were written on the original map in the "Island Nation Language" which decodes to English. Based on that, the English spelling of placenames were probably set a long while ago.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Could it be? Might we actually get a Suikoden without any "Banaar"s or "Fubar"s?!
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked the site, but most of the stuff that was up we already knew (other then possibly the Katarina info). I just wish they would put more info up during the 13 or so days we have left to wait.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's wrong with Bannar and Fubar? At least they are less obstructive than the likes of Jowy/Joei and Gorudo/Gordeau.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I said "obstructive", I might agree with you. However, I just went with localization oddities I could think of in five seconds.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the Jowy/Joei subject, the Prima Games guide had pictures and wrote in the guide calling him Joei, how did they get it that way, and we got it as Jowy?

Official Smoke Bomb User

Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They probably had multiple translators that refused to talk with one another to double-check their work.

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, your probably right. I hate it when people mess up to much on translations. I didn't mind most of the translations, but how did Ruth in Japanese become Luce in America?

Official Smoke Bomb User

Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's actually a correct conversion to english.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Basically Japanese lacks a "th" sound, so when trying to say "th" Japanese will use "s" or "z". "Ze sorn was firmly stuck in my sigh"= "The thorn was firmly stuck in my thigh" (actually the first sentence should have even more pronounciation differences if said with a purely Japanese accent). Basically when converting from Japanese, if there is an "s" or "z" sound there is a chance that it should actually be "th", apparently the Suikoden III translators didn't realise that, though and just slotted the "s" sound in. Similar "r" and "l" only have one similar equivalent (that sounds like a mixture of them both) in Japanese, so when hearing the Japanese name for Luce, even though it is MEANT to be "Ruth" to an English speaker it probably would sound more like "Ruce" or "Luce" (surprised Konami didn't translate it as "Loose", that is just as accurate as Luce phonetically and it makes sense considering Luce mothered so many....)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

---

Really strange mistake. Let me PM you about this, Thief.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Luce had only one blood child, and adopted the orphans. Isn't that, among other things, why they all seemed to accept the absurdity of Jimba being her "son"?

And Fubar was supposed to be Hoover, if I recall correctly.

Wow, didn't know what Banaar was supposed to be. Is that -really- GS2's Banner as spelled in GS1? *winces*
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: