Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: History of Suikoden Fansites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Editorial: History of Suikoden Fansites Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article URL--
http://www.suikox.com/ed/fansites40523.html

Please discuss the article here. I am interested in feedback, especially regarding the following points--

1. Do you like to see more articles on issues of Suikoden fandom?

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

3. Did the article change your perception of the Suikoden fandom?
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. No, a new one isn't necessary for another few years.
2. I liked all of the references to now-defunct websites, but I disliked how vague many were.
3. Not much of a perception to change, so no.

This definitely brought back some fond memories, I can tell you. The old Hideout and Suikocastle held some good times in their respective heydays.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*edited for rambling nonsense and blatant violation of grammatical rules...repeatedly*
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is nice to know of the long line of history in suikoden online fandom. It gives a warm fuzzy feeling in the stomach when you realise how much of history suikoden has. I own my own suikoden forum, and although its small and not very established, and uses a free host, it is still nice in a way. So, it is nice to learn of other suikoden communities

For improvements, i think it would be nice to provide more information about some of the sites, and perhaps update it regularly to incoperate new and rising suikoden sites and message boards...

This might be a little off topic, but about your comment about suikonline, i'd like to comment that the gallery has been down for some time... The link from suikonline to the picture gallery isn't working. IS the picture gallery down? The link hasn't been working for a long time...

Last edited by Kobold on Mon May 24, 2004 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikonline is listed in the article. Did you really read it? *laughs*

I can't get into too much detail because that wasn't really the point of the article. Maybe some other time.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the article seemed more like a timeline than a historical account.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, I have always been a firm believer of "actions speak louder than words", so for fandom's sake, I'd rather let everyone else show me what fandom is like. However, I feel that this article was indeed necessary. My reason for that will be answered in the next question, but there's no need for another fandom article for a while.

In order to understand the future of these sites, whether they be Suikosource, Suikox, or any upcoming site, you must understand the past. I feel somewhat silly now since I saw myself as a veteran suikoden fan from 1996. Imagine my surprise when the "Rebel Hideout"'s name appeared on the article. I was a member of their message board for 2 weeks tops. After that I no longer visited. I was very surprised that it had a very large impact in the Suikoden community. So I learned something about my message board roots. You did a good job of outlining the past for those of us who live in the present.

Not exactly. I know not to underestimate anything people have a passion for. This article only strengthened that perception of mine. I'll say this though, it feels good to know that Suikoden fandom is stronger than ever before. Not bad for a game that isn't mainstream.

Last edited by Cedric on Mon May 24, 2004 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cirape

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now, I'm not sure if you did this on purpose or not, but I found...
Quote:
and spread the good word of Suikoden.

That to be quite hillarious. It sounds just like going out and converting for a relgion, only for Suikoden instead ^^

...actaully, come to think of it, I should go convert people to Suikoden fandom. I need friends in RL to talk about Suikoden with. Or atleast to make rabid fans of so they understand my cravings.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kobold wrote:
This might be a little off topic, but about your comment about suikonline, i'd like to comment that the gallery has been down for some time... The link from suikonline to the picture gallery isn't working. IS the picture gallery down? The link hasn't been working for a long time...

Well the site owner mathiu is sorting it out and should hopefully have it fully operational by the end of this week.

@SARS: I missed that piece? Feel like kicking myself for that :oops:

*you should...try paying attention to the whole piece and actually read it before posting a commentary next time*
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am so not surprised that Jess' Suikoden Page isn't listed. That was a horrible collection of plagerised information from various internet sources. Oh, and it was all mine, too :P I just "collected" information and put it into fancy tables. It was all just generic info, anyway ^^;

*cough*

I'm shocked, though, that my mighty Star Lists weren't mentioned as part of the information collected by Suikosource when it started. Not that they were on the site for long.
I'm being sarcastic, by the way. I'm not worthy of mention anywhere. I have no real fansites ^^; Nice of you, though, to mention the Castle Of Kain. That was truly a revolution in the Suikoden Community. Changed it forever. Suikosource and SuikoX, among others, were born from Kain and Kain-related associations. All this info would never have been collaborated, had Kain not existed. *nod*
*celebrates Castle Of Kain*
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure of the statement of the Rebel Hideout in 2000 as the first dedicated Suikoden site. Remember in the SICOMNET days, and then in the earlier Suikosource days, when I first had the list of all the Suikoden sites I could find, which later got whittled down and organized and streamlined into SIS' "Suikoden Portal"? There were probably about 5 sites on there that had gone into inactivity before Suikoden II even came out (as in, the sites were still anticipating Suikoden II). Pijaibros' Suikoden Page is one that comes to mind as one that does not fall into that category, but at least dated 1997-1998.

For further research regarding this, I found the SICOMNET site archive at archive.org.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010805185708/www.sicomnet.org/list/

There is basically every English Suikoden-related site in existence as of January 2001. There are foreign sites, but I, as an English-speaking person, could not possibly have found all the Japanese sites in existence. And interestingly enough, if you click on each link on that page, it takes you to the archive.org archive of each site FROM THAT TIME. It doesn't seem to load images in that case though. If you want to see what the sites are like now (most likely taken down by now), you'll have to take out the archive.org stuff from before the real URL.

Looking at most of those sites is a good case study for what the standard was for Suikoden sites before the bar got considerably raised by the sites mentioned in the SARS article.

edit: Shinkuu Akuma's site is a good example. Went defunct in 1998, but was very information-packed for its time.
master dude

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just wanna say that The rebel hideout/souleaters end happened when their message boards server crashed and months of members, topics and discussions disapeared. I remeber it well, first some newbies disapeared, then i and some several others quited. Then it just died out some months later. I miss the souleater and the magic that was there.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not on this specific subject (as it's more or a history lesson than anything), but I wouldn't mind seeing one tackling some of the interesting bits of the fandom; yaoi/yuri comms, fanfiction, fanart, the various role plays/IFFs that have sprung up over the Suikoden fandom, etc...But on the general subject? Nah, once you do it once it has little need to be done again.

Like:

- Brought up some nostalgic memories; I remember looking for Suikoden information and not being able to find anything but Icy Brian's page (which is still a really good resource, I think).

- I always like articles that bring to light aspects of the game that deal with the fandom attached.

Dislike:

- I thought a lot of the site info in the article was vague and could have gone into more detail. What made these sites special?

- Now that the Suikoden community is growing quite a bit, I think it would have been nice to have more links to the newer communities that are sprouting up all over the place, rather than just the same old, same old of SuikOnline, SARS, and SuikoSource. Everyone knows those sites.

No.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that the Rebel Hideout was the first Suikoden site of that magnitude. I agree that there were dozens of Suikoden sites before Souleater.org. But none were as large as that, back then. I'd almost dare to say that none since have been as large, either. But, looking back, the Hideout was sort of lacking on information. Though it was huge for interactive stuff.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I seem to remember there being more broken links on the site than working ones. And no Suikoden I information (at a time when Suikoden I wasn't completely outdated yet). But there was a good amount of Suikoden II information, and it was really complete and beautifully presented.

I might actually say that Shinkuu Akuma's site had more pages of information(it just doesn't look bigger because there's no broken links), and two years earlier, but Souleater was just so beautiful. For example, the towns guide had little screenshots of the towns, and all the different symbols of the different types of shops. She put SO MUCH effort into the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: