Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

...Watched the news lately? (Asia Quake Disaster)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

as they say...holidays will never be a happy one without your beloved ones..........

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arevus

The Reborn

314452 Potch
100 Soldiers
44 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but I believe the toll is up to something like 76,000+...my condolences to everyone.

Sup?
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fliktor wrote:
My condolancies also go out to those stuck out there. It's a little strange from a UK point of view, because whilst 52,000 people have died, all the news here seems to worry about is "15 British tourists have known to have died"; seems to me at a time like this nationality doesn't matter and any country should come together to focus on re-building anything we can. It's a horrible thing to have happened and I can't even begin to imagine being out there.

It's like that everywhere, over at my other forum, a few people were mad about that. Apparently a comment was passed on CNN like, "50 000 dead, and 15 of them are Americans." Well, it happened here too, in my province, reporting the status of Canadians. I think it's for people who are worried about their loved ones in those countries, and it's also a comment to make you think about how we are all affected because there were so many tourists there from all of our countries. It's not really a disrespectful thing, and to be honest, I think comments like those are to just tone down the shock of everything, and to help us relate from a personal point of view; of what we have to do with such a disaster.

I hear that Canada is sending 1 million in aid, but to be honest, I think that's really insulting. Canada spends less than 1 % on foreign aid, and I know we all have to look after our selves first but damn...a dozen countries just hit like that; some harder than others. I think we could shell out more than that. I am really, really devastated, but also really really disgusted with my government.

It's scary because a lot, if not, all of those people had nothing...and now, they have less than that. They have to fight to remain where they were before this struck...I can't even begin to imagine, the crying, the stench, the fear...I'd go insane if I were in one of those countries right now. Those poor people never stood a chance...
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but I believe the toll is up to something like 76,000+...my condolences to everyone

76,000 is the population of the Island I live on. Also Red Cross have estimated the death toll to be over 100,000 at least. That's no counting the after effects of the Tsunami that many people have already stated.

Quote:
I hear that Canada is sending 1 million in aid, but to be honest, I think that's really insulting. Canada spends less than 1 % on foreign aid, and I know we all have to look after our selves first but damn...a dozen countries just hit like that; some harder than others. I think we could shell out more than that. I am really, really devastated, but also really really disgusted with my government.

Britain did a similar thing, saying they will send £1 million, and then some people piped up that it was a feable amount and now we're sending £15 million - which is better.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could not believe that the death toll for this disaster was so high, I mean when I heard it was almost 10,000, that was bad enough. But to be 100,000 that is just too terrible to express in words. The sadness is equally amplified considering it happened around Christmas time, and as others have stated, so close to the New Year. Okay so anyhow my condolences also go out to anyone and everyone who's lives have been affected by this disaster...
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's an estimated 100,000 deaths, along with millions already homeless. But The worst has yet to come, unfortunately. With millions of people homeless it's not too long before there's numerous deaths from disease, and starvation...

I actually heard that the earthquake was so powerful it moved several island in the Indian Ocean, it moved whole islands...

I'll probably have to donate some money, but I don't think there is much I can do, seeing the huge number of people who are suffering from this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's a very similar response here in Australia as well, St. Ajora, Fliktor. Whilst over 70,000 people have died, the news goes on about the 6 Australians that died and dozens missing, which is tragic enough. There was that account of a six-month old girl who died, and of a mother who had to make a choice on which of her two sons she had to let go during the disaster. And there were waves reaching even up to Western Australia. Though not nearly as much damage occured as the in Indonesia, Thailand or Sri Lanka.

Thankfully though, Australia is giving a good AUS$25 million in aid.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm I Live in Indonesia, In Java exactly. Even we safe from the disaster, but it sitill affect us. Some of my Friend live in Aceh and still no news about them. It was really shocked us for sure. Yeah really.

My friend in Medan (In North Sumatera Province whereas near Aceh) said that he can feel the quake and he said that the quake is strong for sure. Fortunately he is safe.

Where are you Arcaiz?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just now I saw the once town of Lhokseumawe in Aceh on television, and...it's horrible. Almost no building left except a little (and that include a mosque). Right now myself and some of my friends in the campus is trying to collect money from people for donation to the victims. I really hope that you all out there would donate something for them, or if you couldn't, a prayer is more than enough.

As for the forum member that live near there, i could only remember some :
1. Me
2. Bugg (he's Indonesian, but he's in Australia right now)
3. Calupict
4. Fate Breaker
And if i'm not wrong Starslasher was once live in Indonesia

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, Schala, that's right. I lived in Jakarta an accumulated 9 years. I will say a prayer for the victims to the disaster, thank you Schala. To think that 80,000+ Indonesians are affected by this... :(

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The death toll has risen up to 117,000. My condolonces to any who have lost their lost ones and my heart goes out to all those that were victims to the tsunami. I know how frightening it could be since my girlfriend lives in Thailand and I was worried something might've happened to her... luckily, she was safe.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Schala : Add Arcaiz. He live in Banda Aceh. And still there is no word from him.

The another unfortunate thing for this disaster is there is some airlines who increase the ticket cost to Banda Aceh. Imagine they took money from the victim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm glad to say the UK public has managed to donate £25 million (that's $48,203,812 in US dollars) within 48 hours and in the process shamed our government in upping their donation from £15 million ($28,925,028) to £50 million ($96,423,801).

I am hoping that we can get our government to up their contribution at least 1 more time.

So please donate all you can, every little bit helps

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My building at work managed to raise £2,000 in total in a day, which is pretty good, but when looking at the shear devestation of the whole disaster, it hardly seems enough. Every little helps, but I think I'll be sending clothes and food out as well this weekend with the Red Cross.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've donated some money through our church, and while it wasn't a lot (I just don't have a lot to spare - I just bought my schoolbooks, and between that and Christmas, my bank account has been all but wiped out.), I hope it does help. What happened is truly a tragedy; I don't think all the money in the world will fix everything but hopefully it will be a start. If I can find one near me, I'd like to donate clothes and food out, too. This is horrible, just horrible. My hopes and prayers are with everybody affected by this.

What a way to ring in the new year...

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: