Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

...Watched the news lately? (Asia Quake Disaster)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: ...Watched the news lately? (Asia Quake Disaster) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I noticed no one made a topic about the natural disaster that just hit Asia. I know it is a difficult subject, as at first i myself didn't dare to make this topic, but i feel we should share our views and feelings about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4129371.stm

I can only give my condolences to those who lost their loved ones, and hope the missing people will be found safe.

Also, i hope no one in here was directly affected by this tragedy.

All the way to the edge of this world
Goblin Phonologist

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, I've heard about that.

It's very scary what 9.0 can do.

My mom is in Thailand right now, so I was worried sick when I heard about this.

and yes, my condolences to ones that suffered the most from this tragedy.

(what is it now... 50,000+ dead?)
You find a Stack of Old Records.
You find a Broken Turntable.
You find 12 pieces of Goblin Chocolate.

Last edited by Goblin Phonologist on Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I too feel for the people that died and those that have lost loved ones, and their homes. It saddens me greatly when things of this magnitude happen.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We do have quite a few members from Indonesia, and some of them do live in Sumatra. I sure hope none of them have been affected.

I have been keeping track of this news for the last day, but the death toll is just astounding. Yesterday the news said the toll was 22000 dead. Today, it is up tp 52000 dead. Entire towns have been wiped off the face of this planet. It is just beyond understanding. What will be worse is all the waterbourne illnesses that would ravage displaced people, especially in the tropical climate.

The waves apaprently sped at around 500mph and reached heights of 20 feet at its apex. How can anyone prepare for that sort of destructive force?
Daniel Blackhand

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with SARSadmin that tsunamis are one of the natural disasters that you cannot prepare for in any way. I mean how do you prepare to stop a 20 ft wave of the most devastating force traveling at 500 mph.

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The disaster happened in my country, and there's 60000 Indonesian people died.
I live in Java myself so I'm alright but I originally came from Sumatra and some of my families still live there. I still didn't get any news from them but at least I didn't see their name on the dead list and I hope they're okay.
May God take all that died to His side

Last edited by Kohaku on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Blackhand

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I hope that your family comes through this ordeal alright. I can only imagine what the people in those regions are going through at this time.

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A 9.0 magnitude earthquake? Just hearing that scares the hell out of me, and I can't even begin to fathom the terror those caught in the disaster must have felt. I only hope that the damage will be minimal with any aftershocks.

It kind of hits close to home for me, having lived in a coastal region my entire life. I'm not right on the coast, of course, but the area is in the general area of the San Andreas fault, and the mouth of the Fraser River is nearby.

My condolences go out to those who have lost loved ones.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

geologists say that the likelihood of a quake that devastating won't happen in ca due to the type of fault line; we'll still get some nasty ones, but by their reckoning, we're not subject to ones as severe as this one.

my condolences to all who've lost/suffered due to this disaster.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From a terror standpoint in terms of the earthquake goes they probably only noticed some slight shaking as the earthquake was centered in the Indian Ocean far beneath the ocean floor. I hate to say it but it might have been better for them had the quake hit land rather than the ocean, as then more than likely all they would have to deal with is the quake. With this the Tsunami is only the first part of the problem as disease and destroyed infirtle farmland is next on the list for all the countries hit by said Tsunami. I mean considering all the salt on said land now I can only imagine the damage that will do. Yeah overall the problems for said countries are building by the truck loads loads by the day. Unfortunately so do the casualty numbers and they will continue to rise as well as the missing lists are sorted through and some are found while others.... switch lists.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My condolancies also go out to those stuck out there. It's a little strange from a UK point of view, because whilst 52,000 people have died, all the news here seems to worry about is "15 British tourists have known to have died"; seems to me at a time like this nationality doesn't matter and any country should come together to focus on re-building anything we can. It's a horrible thing to have happened and I can't even begin to imagine being out there.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is nothing really to discuss about this matter, what happened is certainly a sad thing but no one truly can or could've done anything about it.

All I can say is may God have mercy on all of us.

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My condolences to all of those that have lost loved ones in that tragic disaster. I only hope that no one here was affected by that. I pray to God that that sort of thing never happens again.

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

let's all pray to the victims of this disaster......

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sarah

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, it is absolutely tragic... So many things have been going on lately.

It is saddening when you think about it; many of those people were probably awaiting the New Year's arrival, some were only there to spend their holidays.. none probably imagined such thing would happen. It is just so strange how short life is and how suddenly it ends.

We can only pray for the safety of those who haven't been found yet.

May all the victims 'rest in soft peace'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: