Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mercy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin:

Your views on revenge are something I've never come across. The idea of using revenge as personal motivation rather than an attempt at gratification or to ease ones pain, seems uncommon. I always thought the concept of revenge was about what you do to others, not what you do to yourself. I still think bettering yourself to piss off others rather than just for the sake of becoming a better person is not a healthy way to live life, but if that's what some people need to motivate themselves then perhaps revenge is capable of being a positive action, if only under certain circumstances.

St. Adjora:

[quote}not everyone takes video games as seriously as others, and therefore, abandons all sense of morality and reality when they game, since it is escape, and just pure fun. I know I would be offended if someone judged me just because I chose to execute a character in a video game[/quote]

I completely agree. Almost everyone plays games partially so they can do things they would not do in real life. I know I do. But you misunderstand me: I said your choice can say something about who you are, not "does". I think someone who's played Suikoden 1 many times is more likely to pick choices he believes in, since there's little reason not to the fifth time through. But of course I'm aware that one measly choice in a video game does not necessarily say jack about you. So please don't call me a hypocrite without understanding my context.

Quote:
I know someone else mentioned this, but I'll still comment. That's like saying all Americans are in favour of Bush, or support the war in Iraq, etc. the US is 300 million people strong I believe, and I'm sure not all of them agree with each other, nor that statement.

Well, a lot of people who voted against Bush support the war in Iraq. Technically our invasion of Iraq isn't revenge (though a sobering number of U.S. citizens still believe Sadam and Osama were tied). But regardless of that, the number of people for killing Kraze on this topic is around 10 to 1 for killing him (I'm not going to tally it but only one other person has expressed that they are against killing Kraze), and Most of us are probably in the U.S.. Though it sounds like Japan may be even more vengeful!

Quote:
that's kind of difficult since you are only given a slanted view of what he is like. You can't take into consideration all of his life's deeds, because they are stated, they are there. All you can do, is decide with the knowledge that you have.

That's exactly my point! Since the game does not provide you with enough material to determine if Kraze lives or dies, it is unjust imo to kill him. Naturally it can be argued that the game wants to you think Kraze is a terrible person, but you are at war with him and it's only natural to hate those you fight against.

Quote:
You can't expect everyone to behave saintly, or angelic, and make the "right" choices, since nobody can agree on what's right. That's humanity.

Quote:
You don't have to change someone's mind to allow them to sympathize and understand. See, you're basically missing the point, that that's humanity. We are humanity. We have faults. We don't agree. You can't expect things to be so linear and easy to accomplish. Some people may never agree and hate each other for it. Some people may never agree, but will learn to understand where each other is coming from.

You've out a lot of words in my mouth. This topic was not a plea for people to become nicer. It's a discussion on vengeance with a Suikoden theme. I think you've misunderstood many parts of my argument. I can respect anyone's decision to kill Kraze. Lord knows it's only a game.

Sarah:

Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to hear more about the revenge you are speaking about when you let Kraze live. Mercy entails many things, but how is it connected with revenge?
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That much is simple :) Some people can never live with the fact that their life was in another's hands and they were allowed to live. Okay, less simple; it is hard to explain if you can't already conceptualize it, I think.

Hm. How -does- one explain this? I'm half tempted to delete my comment that it was simple to save face here, but it really does seem simple to me. I just can't figure out how to impart it. Help me out here?
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I completely agree. Almost everyone plays games partially so they can do things they would not do in real life. I know I do. But you misunderstand me: I said your choice can say something about who you are, not "does". I think someone who's played Suikoden 1 many times is more likely to pick choices he believes in, since there's little reason not to the fifth time through. But of course I'm aware that one measly choice in a video game does not necessarily say jack about you. So please don't call me a hypocrite without understanding my context.

Well, you certainly made it sound like that.

Quote:
But regardless of that, the number of people for killing Kraze on this topic is around 10 to 1 for killing him (I'm not going to tally it but only one other person has expressed that they are against killing Kraze), and Most of us are probably in the U.S..

Haha you and I both know that that means absolutely nothing given the circumstances, poll, and the amount of people who answered. But for your arguement, it works, so far, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the United States is regarded more as a vengeful country than not...

Quote:
That's exactly my point! Since the game does not provide you with enough material to determine if Kraze lives or dies, it is unjust imo to kill him.

It's not unjust, since many people just gave you enough deciding factors, and they all go against his chance for a better, cleaner life, and his desire to lead one. My point is, the only material we see, is the bad stuff, and if that is all we see, then we assume that that is all he is, therefore, off with his head.

Quote:
You've out a lot of words in my mouth. This topic was not a plea for people to become nicer.

I know that, but I was countering your arguement, with my own. Regardless of what you meant, you implied a lot of things, and I gave my own view point, all of which is just as credible as yours.

Quote:
It's a discussion on vengeance with a Suikoden theme. I think you've misunderstood many parts of my argument. I can respect anyone's decision to kill Kraze. Lord knows it's only a game.

No, I got everything you were saying, besides the fact that you were saying choices within video games can reflect the person who you are. If it's only a game, then we can't really discuss the theme or reality of vengeance in a realistic light, considering the character we're discussing. Perhaps if Kraze was more developed then we could start looking at it more indepth, but since we have so little to go on, we can't really say what is so unjust and unfair about "revenge" within a video game, that would glorify the subject anyway. Suikoden, as a series, hardly touches upon vengeance as most other games are, since it deals with honour, war, and morality within war...the good stuff. I find that Suikoden does not get in too deep with human atrocities, blood, betrayal, stuff like that. Those things may be there, but they are really, really toned down.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I might have to replay Suikoden 1 (at least to that point), because I thought there was some hint that Eileen was going to be raped... I dunno. I might go through it quickly to get to that point then confirm it.

I dunno, I don't see much benefit in the act of vengeance. Revenge doesn't bring your loved ones back, it only attempts to pacify some primitive portion of the brain that feels a need to get even.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then don't be so eager to deal out death and judgment for not even the Wise can see all ends."
-Gandalf

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harukaze: I'm pretty sure I see what you're saying. I was perhaps ignorant at first because I would only be grateful to have my life spared. But someone who defines themselves through their own strength would probably resent it.

St. Adjora: Yes, in order to use Suikoden 1 as an example for this discussion we have to set aside the fact that we're talking about a half shoddy translation of what wasn't the most in-depth scene to begin with. I feared our argument was approaching a slightly more personnel level and I wanted to put things in perspective when I said it's only a game. Even so you point out that because so little is known we have to go with what we know to make our decision, at the same time you tell me that several people have given good reason to put Kraze to death. How is it possible to make so many good arguments if we know so little? I've already conceded that what we do know about Kraze proves he's a bad person. Where our opinions differ is that I don't think we know nearly enough to justify killing him. We don't know whose orders he followed. We have no idea if he actually intended to kill Eileen. All we know is that he's a jerk and the he uses underhanded tactics. Then I suppose we should execute Leon Silverberg too!

You have to admit such meager convictions could hardly justify a death sentence in real life, so what is it about the game that makes it okay? You said something about since his wrong doings are the only side of Kraze the game shows to us they are his true character. I'd agree with you in a different RPG, but Suikoden is not about good vs. evil. Sure there are some evil characters like Lucca Blight or Neclord, but even Commander Rowd, someone who has committed acts much worse than Kraze, has two sides. It's not in the game anywhere, but his striving to climb the military ladder was all so he could afford treatment for his blind sister (please correct me if I'm wrong). Now I don't want to start another defending Rowd topic (truthfully, I love to hate him), but if a Suikoden villain like Rowd can have a good side that's never even mentioned, why can't a jerk like Kraze have one? We'll never know for sure which is why I feel it unfair to pass judgement on him. If his crimes were worse or if I were a vengeful person I would feel differently.

I feel that is about as good as I can state my argument for Kraze. So I'll leave it at that. As for whether the U.S. or the world is consumed by revenge. That is just always the impression I've acquired through talking to people and through mainstream media. I live in a liberal city, and I know not everyone is like this. But it's always felt like second nature that the overwhelming majority of people believe in "fighting back" rather than seeking peaceful resolution. I'd be ecstatic to read some examples that prove me wrong.

Nutflush: I had no idea Gandalf was such a wise man.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I let him live, on my first play, on the second, and on the third, and If I ever play Suikoden I, one more time, I would let him live again.

Im just not the kind of man that gets motivated or controlled by such emotion, because I was simply never put in the situation of deciding the destiny of another human being. Or had the "¿chance?" of hating someone that much, or being hurt in the way Tir was.

If I were in Tir's situation I would like to think I would do the same thing I did on the videogame.

Eventough this, I have many times killed mosquitoes, Flys and things like that, for instance. Of course anyone can say: "For christ sake's it just a bug man!". But I just don't know how to measure life, that isn't my work, nor my choice, or path, and I hope I never get the chance to decide something like the fate of another person besides me in such a drastic way.

This might be contradictory which what I said about bugs, but im not perfect, perhaps even stupid, and in common daily life I value more the life of Human's than the ones of bugs, but I personally don't know if im right or wrong about it, I just try to do what I think is right according to the moral values my family taught me.

In my humble opinion, topics like this depend simply on the observing eye, one can support life or death depending on which side reflects more his/hers moral values.

I do not know which is right or wrong, or even if something like "right" and "wrong" truly exists, I just hope that I never get to choose something like that because of my inherent weakness as a human.

Thank you very much for reading, my lousy english doesn't really help xD.
Goblin Phonologist

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nope. I didn't kill Craze.

I just felt like there wasn't a real reason to.

I don't like the idea of killing someone for punishment... even if it's just a game.
You find a Stack of Old Records.
You find a Broken Turntable.
You find 12 pieces of Goblin Chocolate.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with taking Revenge. In this real world, Vengeance is necessary. Every one wants to take revenge. Even a 3 year old kid wants to have revenge. You take my toy? I'll take yours another day! Revenge is actually common practice around the world, big or small. Of course, it is only those who focus so much on vengeance that it becomes their only driving force, it becomes unhealthy. Slight thoughts of vengeance is necessary. This world would be ridiculous if everyone were saints and never took vengeance for anything. I agree with the phrase Vengenace is Sweet very much.

Now on to Kraze. Kraze should, and MUST die regardless if it is due to vengeance of not. Let's not even talk about his morality, and the fact that he's an evil bastard who should be struck by lightning. In reality, Kraze is the enemy. This is a war, and Kraze is an enemy official. Usually, what an army would do to enemy official is only two options. Either try to recruit the enemy IF they are useful, or kill them. Just the fact that Kraze is useless, he can't fight well, he has no talents, and neither is he smart, and he simply knows how to bully those weaker, and take bribes and all in all is pretty much useless shows that Tir as the enemy commander should very much kill him.

It's not vengeance. It's not the morality issue. It's just that if taken in reality, there is no way Kraze should live. And if you take into account that you'll be doing justice for heaven for removing an evil person like Kraze, that man should die about 10 times more. He deserves the punishment, and if he doesn't die, heaven would have been blind. And if you want to take vengeance furthur into account, he should die another 10 times.

So ultimately, there is no way Kraze should be left to live. He has to die, no matter what. I won't stretch to say that people who let him live are nincompoops, but you know my thinking...
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*raises a small cheer* Well said!
Goblin Phonologist

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kobold wrote:

...And if you take into account that you'll be doing justice for heaven for removing an evil person like Kraze, that man should die about 10 times more. He deserves the punishment, and if he doesn't die, heaven would have been blind. And if you want to take vengeance furthur into account, he should die another 10 times.

All of that stuff that you're saying towards the end, I believe that is the work of Karma.

That's why I don't need to punish a person like Kraze; Karma would take care of that.

And that's what I love about her... she can either be loving, or a cold b___h. And if you're someone like Kraze, me thinks that person will try to avoid her as long as possible.
You find a Stack of Old Records.
You find a Broken Turntable.
You find 12 pieces of Goblin Chocolate.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Karma is not a person or a "deity" of any kind. It simply means "action" in Sanskrit. In Buddhism, karma only means that "your 'deeds'(karma) would return to you." In that sense, Kraze being executed is indeed karma, in that his action resulted in a reaction.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Revenge is a normal human trait brought about by a mix of sadness and anger. I don't think revenge is ever associated with satisfaction but rather simple compensation for something lost.

You really cannot say the whole of the US or any nation deals with problems in the same way as it really depends on the specific person. Unfortunatelly even nowadays when individual people tell one another that we are smart beings that can think for ourselves deep down they know it isn't the case. People are very smart, but humanity as a whole is extremelly stupid. Most (possibly all) of us bend to the rules of society and try to fit in following others like lost little sheep so a mass audience enjoying revenge shouldn't really be much of a shock. Another thing that makes revenge stand out so is its uncalm nature. Revenge isn't just something that happens every day (well in the older times it wasn't), so it has that edge to it. That little excitement that we all would like to see.

I personally chop off Karze's head every time I play the game. The reason being is......why not? You ask why and I reply with why not? A game (especially RPGs) are like books or movies in that they play with our emotions on many levels. I doubt you'd really see a heartless person playing video games. I kill Kraze because it fits in with the story of the game better. I also save before the Milich scene and kill him/load a few times then continue as normal. :mrgreen:

Shrew wrote:
Revenge is not always evil itself, but revenge without considering the consequences is.

This is very arguable in itself as who is to say what is evil and what is not. It is morally wrong but evil is a heavy word that should be used with caution (along with other such words as right/wrong, love/hate...).

Nutflush wrote:
McDohl I think is a very understanding person who hates killing (from what can be gathered from the story).

Heh, yet he ends up killing all those poor lil monsters and Scarlet Moon soldiers hehe. :P

Mad Mage wrote:
You say Kraze is evil and will only create more misery if left to his own devices, but who are you to make such a judgement.

You seem to have some sort of philosophy/psychology/sociology background so I guess you know that noone can morally make that judgement, but saying that Kraze had no right to do things he did either. Its a touchy topic that really has many angles to it but it really comes down to a simple little thing, if a vicious dog attacked you, would you drop down and let him kill you or would you boot him in the head like a football (soccer) ball as hard as you could. It wouldn't heal your wounds but that lil bugger would be sure to keep attacking if you didn't do anything about it. It can be said that it is morally wrong but its also within every living creature's nature to protect itself. The way I see it thats what all of them were doing, because Karze would surelly have gone back to Gregminster.

Mad Mage wrote:
A reason our real world is filled with so much pain and suffering is because most people feel themselves worthy of making harsh judgements even though they are only looking at matters from the reality they deem true. But we are not worthy.

Please refrain from saying people are not worthy. Most have never thought of these situations in depth but humanity has proven that we can accomplish just about anything if we try. We are definatelly worthy of making decisions, even heavy ones such as this, because in the end we are the ones that will have to protect and nurture this planet and everything on it (heck humans are trying to bring Mammoths back from extinction).

SARSadmin wrote:
Revenge becomes destructive when you become so focused on it that you start to neglect anything else, such as your family, friends, your own health, etc. Then, you end up losing more even if you are able to exact your revenge.

As with any other emotion, you have to control your desire for revenge. People who can't control love can become possessive or obsessed--people who can not control their joy may become annoying or lose their sense of compassion. Similarly, those who can not control their compassion may end up becoming depressed and suicidal.

I'll go on and agree with all of this. It is however VERY hard to control all your emotions and a lot of the times they get the best of us. Some people are capable of completelly killing off their emotions (such as sadness, jellaousy, happiness) and those people usually become the most efficient (big money makers) as they set a goal in life and they only use the emotions they need to get to the top. I personally see this type of life pointless as by the time their life is at an end, all they've achieved is a high status position. Not my idea of the meaning of life.

Harukaze wrote:
He's small time, but even if he gets just one more town under his jurisdiction again, that's another town full of people who suffer because you let him go. Why? Why take that chance?

Actually leaders and strategists should not let their emotions get in their way (as Leon points out in Suikoden II) if they wish to be successful. Its true that this is not always the case, but leaders and strategists are responsible for many lives and as such need to be efficient, which a lot of the times can completelly disregard personal emotion. Its easy for us to say it is morally unjust to execute revenge sitting on some computer miles away with no bullets flying right past our heads or no swords swinging in front of our eyes. You must remember that emotions get heavily amplified on the battlefield.

St.Ajora wrote:
You tell that to a rapist, or a murderer and they'll laugh. You forget that many people walk around with a lack of morals and appreciation for life, despite if they commit crimes or not. You can't expect everyone to behave saintly, or angelic, and make the "right" choices, since nobody can agree on what's right. That's humanity.

I just had to point out that this was simply beautiful *dramatic tear* :mrgreen:

Mad Mage wrote:
That's exactly my point! Since the game does not provide you with enough material to determine if Kraze lives or dies, it is unjust imo to kill him

Its unjust in my opinion not to kill him. :mrgreen:

One more thing I noticed is that a lot of you wrote that killing in form of revenge can be justified.......well it can't and it never will be. It'll always be morally wrong (unless the official meaning of that word changes :P ). Men kill for land, power, money, love and many more reasons all which seem morally wrong. Animals kill for food but even that is not justified (think of the poor little gazelle getting chewed up by the big hungry lion). Its just the way this world works. Its unfair and unjust in many ways, but it also has many beautiful things that make it all worth while.

On a final note, I doubt you'd be able to tell much from a person making a single decision as that decision could have been influenced my millions of events through that specific persons life. They could be ruthless, they could be lazy, they could be curious, they could just feel that it goes with the story. Personally you can narrow it down to several different personality types but you can't tell much about a person from one simple A and B choice, especially in a video game. Hope this somewhat helps answer your questions.
Anton Misri

Mages of Cups

165978 Potch
6363 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
One more thing I noticed is that a lot of you wrote that killing in form of revenge can be justified.......well it can't and it never will be. It'll always be morally wrong

How do you know this? Are you moral authority? There is clear distinction between one person opinion and "truth." As Plato say, "There is no Truth, only myriads of interpretation."

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

How do you know this? Are you moral authority? There is clear distinction between one person opinion and "truth." As Plato say, "There is no Truth, only myriads of interpretation."
~Anton Misri~
:mrgreen: That's a good point!!!

Me?

I don't even remember whether I killed Kraze or not. Yes, he's THAT shallow.
But really, I mean, whether you kill him or not doesn't have anything to do with who you are in real life!! Come on, I know Suikoden is so good and should be taken seriously, but it's still a game!!

Kraze deserves 1000x1000 deaths; and if there's any reason to spare him, it should be to keep him living in torment (seeing the Empire's destruction and all that), or, as Harukaze said, to make him feel guilty or ashamed or whatever!

Yeah, okay, if you let him off... but that doesn't really tell whether you're merciful in reality. Things in reality are far more complicated than they are in games!! You must always keep this in mind!!

:mrgreen: I'm not really trying to make fun of your opinion, but I'm just saying you shouldn't worry so much about that!!!
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, a few people have mentioned that a simple A or B choice in an RPG doesn't say much about you. Of course it doesn't. I'm not someone who judges people based on their RPG decisions. It's true, I did say the choice you make determining Kraze's execution CAN say a lot about you. And I still think it can. This topic is partially living testament to that.

Suikoden is just game, but unlike 99% of games, it has an actual depth and intelligence to it. While there is no doubt referencing actual books would prove far more intellectual in this discussion on revenge, we all haven't read the same books like we would have of this were a college seminar. I wasn't as serious with this topic as I may have sounded; I simply think it's fun to try to read meaning into the game I love, even if that meaning isn't always there. Hey, you'd have a tougher time doing this with Mario Bros: "I think the reason Mario stomps on all those goombas is because he wasn't loved as a child. Discuss."

By the way, to all those who replied that they don't kill Kraze because they think it's wrong: thanks! It made me happy just to see that a few others share my beliefs on the matter. And to those who disagree with me: thanks for being respectful and providing good arguments. You normally wouldn't expect such a thoughtful discussion on the interent ('least I wouldn't).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: