Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

has anyone ever played saga frontier?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunar shadows

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: has anyone ever played saga frontier? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just bought the first two in a packaged deal on ebay. Anyone ever played it or know anything of it?
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've played them as well Romancing SaGa 3 on snes. They're quite different from "regular" rpgs. For anyone not familiar: They consist of many characters (not as many as suikoden of course), most of which you can recruit. Some only join after certain conditions obviously. Each character is SF1 is divided into Human, Monster, or Robot classes if I remember correctly. There are no levels in these games. Your stats increase after battles depending on what you do. You learn abilities randomly by attacking or using other abilities in battle. Learning magic is a bit more complicated. The entire story for the most part is entirely nonlinear; you can do whatever you want, whenever you want (if you have the strength). That being said, the story in SF1 is kinda weak. SF2 is a little different than SF1 but it has the overall feel to it as well, but different animation. Overall, they're hate them or love em games. I like SF1 but haven't gotten into SF2. They're a little different, but deserve a shot.

Nice avatar by the way. Arc isn't it? Those games rocked.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have both, a friend from ago gave me -his- SaGa1 (happy) and i bought SaGa2.
Saga2 has more of a plot, it has two stories that somtimes cross, and in the end you have one charactter. I find SaGa2 pretty touching, the music is great, it has 4 differnt battle tunes.

SaGa 1 has its characters, each has his or her own agenda, somtimes you will recrute one from another story. I think one chara may have mulpiul endings, but the person who told me that, also told me a Woman does Dragonball Z.
SaGa1's stories are short, becuase you know, you have 6 or so guys to do.

but yeh, the game is very differnt, In the second your wepons break! so watch out, also save all the time, if you learn a move (like Heaven/Hell) in one battle and you die, you might learn a differnt. thou i had a sheet that told you the secrete, you'll need to do certain moves a number of times to learn anew (for the second).

you also have combos! 2, person combos, 3 person, 4 person...this is very important for well...if you want to be spoiled somone else can tell you when this is important (SaGa1). combos can be lots of things, llike a sword move, a gun move and a fighting move. and Blamo! if you are lucky and well equiped, you can deal 1000 hps
of damage!

I forget if you can run from battle or not.
-------
Saga 2 has war battles, like Suikoden 3, well graphicly like Suiko-2.
-------
are the romancing saga games good enough to re-make and bring out of Japan? because you know. its not nice. Heck, they gave us the orginal names and called them Final Fantasy (somthing), just like the Mana series.
-------

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The battle system sounds to be kind of similar to Final Fantasy II's battle system. I didn't really like that battle system so I don't know if I'll check these games out. I'm also real big on plot so if SaGa 1 isn't really strong in it I can't say that it intrigues me at all. Anyway let me know what you thought of them after you have played them lunar shadows.
lunar shadows

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi, how are you?

Thanks for all of the nice replies. Yes, that is arc. I really look foward to the new arc installment, it's either called arc the lad: generations or some other name (i've heard of more than one). It has a lot of the same characters in it, including Arc, Delma, and Lutz. If you want to see the official site to see who's in it (even though it's in Japanese), I'll send it to you. If anyone else would like to see it, send me a message and I will be more than happy to give you a link.

And sure, I would be more than happy to write and tell you what I thought of it. :)
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The name in the link you sent me translates as "Generation" (and it does say it in the title).

I've only played the third romancing saga since it's the only one out there with a translated rom. I haven't played the first two since I'm not fluent in Japanese (yet). I liked RS3 better than the saga frontier games, but I doubt they'd ever release it now since they're not likely to make money off it. The final fantasy ones were called "Final Fantasy Legend" and were the original three saga games. Story isn't really a strong point of any of the saga games I've played. They tend to rely on the battle system more than story and (although I like them) that was a mistake in my opinion. The story comes mostly in spurts when you venture into certain areas and even then, it isn't well developed. Even though it seems like I'm bashing them, I still like them.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saga Frontier was one of those really mediocre RPGs story-wise, but was totally addictive for me. I spent countless hours in battles trying to learn all the abilities and combos for each weapon, for each character. Some of thsoe combos were just SICK, but you have to be pretty lucky in order to learn new ones.

This game is a pain if you don't level. Your guys will depend on your WP and MP (or was it JP? I forget). Also, gaining money can be frustrating--I recommend the planet where Lute is from, by the swamp area. (Man, I forgot all the names and stuff.) I usually clean out all the monsters, go and heal/save, then go back. Good way to gain quick exp and whatnot.

My favorite character story was Red with Emilia as a close second, and Asellus coming in 3rd. My favorite race was the humans because of their overall versatility with the weapons and the magic. I tried to keep a very balanced party, usually with only one mage (who used Darkness and the Tarot cards).

The bosses in this game are very challenging. You won't be disappointed. In fact, I've only managed to beat the boss in Emilia's story using a Gameshark (just for infinite WP and Magic). Definitely a challenging game. Too bad the stories are average at best (and some of them are way too short).

Heh, now I kinda feel like playing this again. Too bad I have no time for anything but school, work, and... I guess talking to you people, haha. :)

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saga Frontier was a great game that you'll either love or hate. It is not an easy game at all, but it has loads of great mood and ambience. I particularly like Asellus' scenario because it has nice music. You can choose from 7 main characters, but the plot is completely different for each of them. Some of them have barely any plot (such as Lute) while some have a lot more plot than others (such as Red).

I liked using Mystics because they have some insane moves, and are very similar to Humans otherwise. I love the combo attack system with their crazy names.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only completely played through the robot's (name?) scenario. I was playing through Blue's story and made it about 1/2 way through or so before some other game caught my eye. I usually just used humans with a mystic or robot. I avoided using monsters/beasts due to the difficulty of finding really good moves.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I completely agree with SARSadmin.
I really enjoyed SaGa Frontier, especially Asellus's story. Along with the beautiful music (I love the Chateau Aiguille's themes), it had a great story-line, and some deep characters (like the heroine herself) that you may not expect to find in such games.

I think I used to bring 3 Mystics (Asellus, Ildon and Zozma) and two Humans (Gen or Lute, depending on their sword skills) and Rouge (for his Vermillion Sand and Energy Chain); and sometimes I would replace one of them with Princess Rei.
Mystics' absorbing abilities were really good, and so were Humans' sword techniques.
Asellus was very strong because she could use both (unless you're aiming for a specific ending that requires you to avoid strengthening her Mystic side), and I would always make her learn Light Magic rather than Dark, although that meant that I couldn't recruit Silence...
I used to give Ildon and another Mystic one of the special swords that start off with special skills so that they could use Human sword skills aswell as Mystics'.

There was a skill called 'Tres Flores' that I sometimes learnt towards the end. It now reminds me of Augustine's Rose attack, even though it's much more beautiful and probably stronger.
..Just a trivial comment.

That's right! I played through Asellus's story over three times.. but I only got two of the three endings :|
It's worth playing... if not for the game itself, then for the music!
Red and Emellia's were good too; Blue's was okay.
Lute's was the worst... which was a bit disappointing for me, because I like minstrels.

I've managed to complete all of them apart from Riki's (i'm stuck) and the robot's (I found this one quite boring).
I would like to know what would happen if I beat all seven. Is it worth it?
Does anyone know?
I still have my System Data, somewhere.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I totally don't like the first one. I think the second one is cute, but I don't really understand how to properly play the game. I ended up being very weak compared to the opponents in later part of the game. I gave up after that because I'm so bad when it comes to the games that are non-linear.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only completed Emellias, I saved in a bad spot with the robot, and I have now, 3 or so floating Asellus

I got rid of most of them, you will want your own memory card for the game.
with all the characs and one with 3 endings....thats a lot.

I never got far with Lute and I coulnd beat Virgel: the ring lord. I hated his place.
also play with some friends....one got my stuff in the game.

the music in Asellus's chapter is touching. its got a great final boss music, and a strange mood and world.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

**Spoilers ahead in regards to completing everyone's chapters**

It's kinda cool actually, makes the system data seem worth it. Basically, the last character you complete the game with will appear on the ship that Red was on (I can't remember the names, it was the bird-like ship). Then there are all sorts of characters just milling about, one will let you listen to any music track in the game. I'm sure other characters do other things, but it's been a while since I played through it.

Then there is an awesome feature where you can use that final party and test your abilities against ALL the main bosses from the game! Definitely a nice feature. I still find the bosses from Rikki's and Emilia's chapters the hardest ones, even with a totally beefed up Blue. (Man, that Overdrive comes in really handy, eh?)

I'm sure there's other stuff to do, but that's what I remember the most. *sigh* I just might have to play this one again after all. (Just need to find the time.)

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Sarah

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
I totally don't like the first one. I think the second one is cute, but I don't really understand how to properly play the game. I ended up being very weak compared to the opponents in later part of the game. I gave up after that because I'm so bad when it comes to the games that are non-linear.

I didn't like it at first. That was about six or seven years ago.
But then I decided to replay it, about two years ago when I had nothing else to play, and I did enjoy Asellus's game.

Yeah, the second one was nice too. I loved the graphics and the brilliant watercolour background (the characters looked very FF Tactics-ish as well), but story wise, Asellus' game is my favourite.
I've been able to beat it with Gustave before it stopped working : (

Romancing Saga is an excellent RPG too; I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Square's classics (FF1-6, Mystic Quest, the Seikens..).
...Unlimited Saga is the worst of the Saga's, and possibly one of the worst games released by Square(Enix).

*Possible Spoilers (-SaGa Frontier 1)*

Now, I've regained the will to complete my system data.
*Sigh* Can anyone tell me how to defeat Lord Virgil?

I think the hardest boss was Hell Lord (Blue's final boss), and then Deva (Emellia's). Lute's was pretty hard too.
The Charm Lord, Orlouge, was the most entertaining one.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played the original Saga Frontier and beat it as well but lost interest pretty quickly and moved on shortly thereafter. I used to own the second Saga Frontier and played it a lot for awhile but eventually traded it in because it became more of a liability to play it rather than something I found enjoyable. Aside from that I found both games to be pretty good for what they were worth anyway and the only thing that I am looking at now is to try picking up Unlimited Saga which is the next game in the series. There were other games released only in Japan that were in the series before the first Saga Frontier but I cant remember the name right now. I know I have played the third game the one just before Saga frontier and I did beat it but it was far more difficult then the two Saga versions. Oh now I remember the names of them I believe they were called Romancing Saga one two and three of course. Three was a great game with a pretty good story and I am not going to mention here how I got to play it. The other two have not been translated so there would be no way that I could play them without learning Japanese first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: