Suikoden United and Irenic Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoverse to ours

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Suikoverse to ours Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I forget if this topic had been here at anytime and gone to the push of new topics, or if I just posted it at "The Castle" a now dead forum.

anway do you think some suikoden things are realted to ours? Like culture mixing to create a new culture.

take Zexen for example, the knight structure, the architecture(sp) foods belifes and morals.
the nameless lands seems to make curry for falvoring, and they eat horses...i don't know where curry orginated but I don't think historicaly it has always been in northren areas (please enlighten me of Curry history...i eat the stuff you buy in the store)

do they look like somthing you know? The same can be said for Harmonaia, grassland tribes (very varied)

was somthing emulated? Its hard to create a culture and people without reserch.

so lets disscuss!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Curry is an asian delecacy. You're an American i'd presume, which explains why you don't know it.

hmm... Curry is a saucy, yellowish spicy base. It goes well with various stuff like chicken, fish and even vegetables... It contains spices, coconut milk, and some other stuff that i'd know only if i knew how to make it...

That's the closest i can describe about curry... It is of Indian origins, but most asian countries and non asian countries with asian cuisine will have it.

It's pretty good...

And Suikoden not only has things similar to our real world, they have many small bits that are abstracts of the real world. For example, the names of characters, places, weapons are taken from quite a number of different languages.

Some of the europian languages, some of you people should recognise. But one which i discovered and found intriguing, which i think few would know it i already mentioned somewhere in another thread. Rhett's weapon names Makan and Makanan means 'Eat' and 'Food' respectively in the Malay language. Jimba's weapon Matahari means 'sun' in Malay as well.

There are many more such stuff laid around suikoden, like Stallion's weapon names as well, two of it are the names of Indian Gods.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the culture of Harmonia, I see a lot of Russian influence...when I think of Zexen I think of a Spanish/Portugese type state...Dunan seems to be more of a central/western European type area...Highland has more of a German influence to me.

Toran's just a conglomeration of different cultures, so there's not much I can say there.

Keep in mind that's all just opinion...I dunno what the creators were going for in the creation of each kingdom.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

curry is also green and red in thailand, not just yellow. curry is simply a sauce base made from spices of differing types depending on availability, but most have one ingredient in common-some sort of pepper, usually a medium to hot type.

the dishes can use meat or vegetables, most often mixing the sauce base with coconut milk served over or with rice-they tend to be one of my favorite types of food.

india also has many curries common to their regions along with asian countries; i don't remember if japan or china have curries or not, but i don't believe so.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Satyr2

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As Kobold said, many of the weopons are in different languages. Some of them are even on Suikox.com (some of them are quite interensting). Theyres also alot of other infuences, Suikoden is supposed to be based on a chinese story so it seem right for it to have alot of real world influences on it, especially asian. Though from what I can tell its mostly in the food area so far (S4 seems like it might have more, and I hope there is).
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if any of you actually tried to come up with a story, especially one based in a fictional world, most people would tend to incorporate several different cultures into a game. I doubt each specific city was modeled after a specific region, but rather each of them was based on aspects of several different cultures.

Mythology is usually a big mix of ideas that can be used within any game. You all might notice differnet dieties such as Odin, Thor and Loki from the Norse mythologies, to Shiva, Bahamut, Ramuh, Zeus, Ra and other dieties from many different cultures incorperated as creatures in different games (usually in the form of summons in the series that shall not be named).

The same principle seems to apply to building cities. Surelly certain areas of suikoden seem specifically designed based on a real life location, such as the Hidden Hamlet of Rokkaku, which seems purely based on ancient Japan, but other nations such as Highland for example are based on several cultures. Lunarblade pointed out that a lot of the details seem Germanic, yet the name of the place is clearly of French origin.

They used some aspects of the real world as a canvas along with many completelly new concepts never thought of in this world. Finding out all that info about curry though surelly makes this an thread interesting......and now I'm hungry. :mrgreen:
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought I'd try to make a civilized, intellegent post, insted of "which hottness of suikoden would you marry"

anway I don't think i've had "real Curry", I have the stuff in a can, McCormmic bran curry powder. I put that and garlic on "everything"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, i forgot to mention that green curry exists as well. But well, the more common are the yellow/red/orange ones...

Curry is quite wide spread... It's defintiely not native to Japan, so it might have curry only in eateries with other kinds of asian food. As for China, well, i'm not entirely sure but they SHOULD have curry as well...

Actually, Dunan/Jowston can't really be classified to be European. See, greenhill and matilda definitely has a more western feel. But South Window and Two River is definitely asian. Either Japan or chinese. Even from the names of the people that come from the places, you can gather the origins.

From Greenhill, there's Teresa and Nina, obviously western names. From Matilda, there's Miklotov and Camus, which are names that i haven't heard before. But they are definitely more european like. In South Window, there's Granmeyer and Freed Yammamoto, definitely Japanese... Two River only has Makai to justify, and i have no idea what language that sounds like...

As for Muse, it's a weird jumble... Annabelle, Fitcher, Hauser, western sounding names, but with Huan and Tuta to make it chinese... But i suppose Muse should be more western... Yet in eastern, it seems to become Japanese again, with villages of names like Toto and Ryube...

Tinto feels middle east to me, but the names suggests European... Gustav, Lily, Reed, Samus are definitely western names...
Satyr2

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I noticed the whole fluctuation in ther ewhen I was playing through S2. Everything changes quite rapidly. You start out in a coutry named Highland, clearly western. Then your surrounded by villages like Ryube, Toto, and Radat (though you cant go in) they all seem eastern. then Muse, western. It kept switching, it was a different feel in each city because each had a different mix as well as music. I can understand the whole middle eastern feel from Tinto, but I got a southwestern native american feel (but that was mastly from the buildings and the colors).The names say alot too, as you pointed out. Another named from Two River is that lady that takes over the shop for Jeane, I cant remember the name right now, but I remember it had a eastern sound to it.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=965

kuwaizair, this was the post where people started comparing Suikoden to our world. I made a joke and people took it too literally (or were focusing on the wrong things, but whatever I'm not going back there again).

There are other good posts stuffed in there as well, too.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh I rerember that one, yeah. I still think mine is better., it can help people who write with "world building?

I think more people were mad at me, you know...my god-hate speech invoving the ducks.

only Id take world building to some other levels, like slave breeding and legal age of consent being 9.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: