Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Euro 2008 Qualifiers & Euro 2008
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Euro 2008 Qualifiers & Euro 2008 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The draw for the Euro 2008 Qualifiers was made this morning:

Group A
Portugal
Poland
Serbia & Mont
Belgium
Finland
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

I would expect Portugal to qualify from this group as the winners. A fight between Poland, Serbia & Mont and Belgium for second spot.

Group B
France
Italy
Ukraine
SCOTLAND
Lithuania
Georgia
Faroe Islands

Poor Scotland, what a tough group. France and Italy from this group.

Group C
Greece
Turkey
Norway
Bosnia
Hungary
Moldova
Malta

A tough group for the holders Greece, it will be interesting to see if they can qualify from this. Any two from Turkey, Norway and Greece.

Group D
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
REP OF IRELAND
WALES
Cyprus
San Marino

What a test for Irelands new manager Steve Staunton. I would love for us to qualify but i can just not see it with Germany and the Czech Republic there.

Group E
ENGLAND
Croatia
Russia
Israel
Estonia
Macedonia
Andorra

England should qualify as winners from this group, but it will not be easy with Croatia, Russia and maybe Isreal if they play like they can.

Group F
Sweden
Spain
Denmark
Latvia
Iceland
NORTHERN IRELAND
Liechtenstein

Another bad one for Northern Ireland. Spain as group winners, second spot to either Sweeden or Denmark.

Group G
Holland
Romania
Bulgaria
Slovenia
Albania
Belarus
Luxembourg

Holland to qualify as winners, Romania for second spot.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Group A
Portugal
Poland
Serbia & Mont
Belgium
Finland
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

WOW. What a group, I say! Let me guess the results: 2 wins against Kazakhistan, 2 wins over Azerbaijan, 2 wins over Armenia, possible 2 wins over Finland, ditto for Belgium, maybe a win and a loss agaiinst both Serbia and Montenegro and Poland. That means 1st place :mrgreen:

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If only things were that easy to predict Fundertaker. England got a sweet group, I'm happy with the draw for my side. Portugal did get a nice bunch of teams as well though that's for sure.

Russia could be problematic and so could Croatia but I think they're certainly beatable by a side of England's calibre (when they decide to play like it anyway).

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, things can go this nicely, if Portugal plays with all it has. If not, we may need to return to our speciality. Calculations with a lot os varieties.
Also, England did got a very nice group too.
But now I see groups F and B... Man, those are tough.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Group A
Portugal
Poland
Serbia & Mont
Belgium
Finland
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

Definitely not the toughest group of all, and I do expect Portugal to qualify comfortably but Serbia & Montenegro could cause trouble and sneak in to the first spot if Portugal failed to get good results against them.

Group B
France
Italy
Ukraine
SCOTLAND
Lithuania
Georgia
Faroe Islands

I think anyone would expect France and Italy to qualify from this group. But the question now becomes which one goes first and which one got second. It's going to be interesting because I don't think these two teams met a lot lately. I'm hoping a World Cup encounter to warm them up for their matches here.

Group C
Greece
Turkey
Norway
Bosnia
Hungary
Moldova
Malta

Hmm, this is a tough group to predict. Greece, Turkey, Norway, and even Bosnia could all qualify. But I'm just going to go with Greece and Norway. I'm not a big fan of Turkey.

Group D
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
REP OF IRELAND
WALES
Cyprus
San Marino

Czech Republic to top the group and Germany to go second. Slovakia, Wales, and Ireland could all be the surprise package out of this group.

Group E
ENGLAND
Croatia
Russia
Israel
Estonia
Macedonia
Andorra

England got the easy group. They should top the group here. And I dare say even got the perfect record if Sam Allardyce, the master, the bomb, the sensation, the fatso, took over from Svenny.

Group F
Sweden
Spain
Denmark
Latvia
Iceland
NORTHERN IRELAND
Liechtenstein

Sweden, Spain, Denmark could all go through from this group. I don't really know which one, but I'm liking Spain and Sweden. Denmark quite lack the edge lately.

Group G
Holland
Romania
Bulgaria
Slovenia
Albania
Belarus
Luxembourg

Holland easily to top the group. Romania and Bulgaria would fight for the second spot, but Romania should prevail and qualify too.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The draw for the Euro 2008 Qualifiers was made this morning:

Group A
Portugal
Poland
Serbia & Mont
Belgium
Finland
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

Portugal should top the group but Poland, Serbia and Montenegro and Belgium could upset them in games. It's unlikely but those three are all reasonable teams, any of them could push for the 2nd spot though I think it falls to Serbia and Montenegro. Kezman with a big penalty sends them through somehow, now that would be funny.

Group B
France
Italy
Ukraine
SCOTLAND
Lithuania
Georgia
Faroe Islands

Scotland are out most likely, Walter Smith thinks they can make upsets. If you categorise a 0-0 draw with Italy a real upset then yes, yes they can. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they scraped one draw with France they've been a bit lacklustre at times and fantastic at others. France are a bit strange these days.

Group C
Greece
Turkey
Norway
Bosnia
Hungary
Moldova
Malta

Turkey beat Greece in this group and the holders will almost fail to qualify. Do they get any kind of automatic qualification as holders? If not has the holder ever failed to qualify the next time around? Someone dig up the answers to those bits of trivia for me, I'm too lazy.

Group D
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
REP OF IRELAND
WALES
Cyprus
San Marino

I do like the Republic of Ireland team, they're a good bunch even in the places they don't have any superstars they have solid workmen who are for the most part above average consistent players. They could pip one of the Czech Republic or Germany out of a qualifying spot, German out of the two is more likely in my mind.

Group E
ENGLAND
Croatia
Russia
Israel
Estonia
Macedonia
Andorra

England should get through, should. It's always hard commenting on your own team I find since I'm too tempted to say all those teams should be beaten by us when in reality no team wins all the games it should. I'm happy with the draw though and expect qualification. I demand qualification.

Group F
Sweden
Spain
Denmark
Latvia
Iceland
NORTHERN IRELAND
Liechtenstein

A harsh bunch for sure. Good luck Northern Ireland is all I can say for them, they will need it. Spain had to take the playoffs into the world cup but lighting can't strike in the same place twice, can it? They will qualify in first and Sweden will get through just so they can play England again. As always.

Group G
Holland
Romania
Bulgaria
Slovenia
Albania
Belarus
Luxemb ourg

Yeah Holland should do it, a little inconsistent themselves in big matches sometimes but I can't see anyone in that group really stopping them from taking it.

Konrad

Blazing Salamanders

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Group A
Portugal
Poland
Serbia & Mont
Belgium
Finland
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

An easy group for Pertugal i think they will be group winners with the second placed will be between Serbia & Mont and Poland .

Group B
France
Italy
Ukraine
SCOTLAND
Lithuania
Georgia
Faroe Islands

The toughest group of them all with France and Italy been the main contenders this won't be easy with the likes of Ukraine and Scotland around .

Group C
Greece
Turkey
Norway
Bosnia
Hungary
Moldova
Malta

Another hard group with the title holders faild to qualify to the world cup they will give it all but i don't think they will manage to qualify so it's Turkey and Norway .

Group D
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
REP OF IRELAND
WALES
Cyprus
San Marino

Definetly a great group with decent national teams but it's the Czech Republic and Germany in the end .

Group E
ENGLAND
Croatia
Russia
Israel
Estonia
Macedonia
Andorra

Yay England my team :mrgreen:

at last we got an easy group so we can easly qualify while the other teams will fight hard battles to get the second place .

Group F
Sweden
Spain
Denmark
Latvia
Iceland
NORTHERN IRELAND
Liechtenstein

Spain will be first ofcourse (if they plays well not like the world cup qualifiers ) then it's either Sweden or Denmark .

Group G
Holland
Romania
Bulgaria
Slovenia
Albania
Belarus
Luxem bourg

Holland an Romania will qualify .
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good to see so much people seeing my country qualify, i too have no doubt they will.

Turky is in the same group as Greece again, this could get 'interesting'again.

I have nothing to add, i believe those who will qualify have been named more than once, but i still hope to see some of the less stronger nations to qualify instead of the standard bunch.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am sure there might be a suprise package in there somewhere. There is usually at least one anyway. Hopefully it will be Ireland!
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm even thinking of betting this Euro, after Greece beat Portugal in the first match I said for fun that they were going to win it, and I said due to the odds I should bet a small sum, if even with the small chance that they would win I would got a lot of money...

But I was too lazy to go to a bookie, I won't make that mistake again, so let me see who I think would qualify...

Group A
Portugal
Poland
Serbia & Mont
Belgium
Finland
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan

Portugal for sure, this seems like an easy group the rest of the teams have no real Euro history (well Serbia excluded) and not really good teams, Serbia second I say, with Poland and Belgium having a chance.

Group B
France
Italy
Ukraine
Scotland
Lithuania
Georgia
Faroe Islands

This is not the France of 98 and that is not the same Zidane, but I guess they will go through whether is it first or second, Italy has been disappointing these last few years so I guess they may miss it to Ukraine, they rocked in the World Cup qualifications so I give them a fair shot at even the first place if France doesn't act up, the rest have no chance at nothing Faroe Islands will be lucky if it gets one victory.

Group C
Greece
Turkey
Norway
Bosnia
Hungary
Moldova
Malta

Rather obvious this one, either Greece Turkey or Norway, Greece has some updates in its squad which may be good for the weary 2004 team, Turkey is really hungry for victory after losing to Switzerland after that hellish match, and Norway finally going for the recognition, though this isn't the Norway of Flo, they will put a challenge for Greece and Turkey.

Group D
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
Rep of Ireland
Wales
Cyprus
San Marino

The Czech Republic and Germany should go through this one, but Germany is not what it used to be so Slovakia and Ireland may prove a challenge, again the rest are in so they may give points to the big teams, Cyprus and San Marino are lucky if they beat one another.

Group E
England
Croatia
Russia
Israel
Estonia
Macedonia
Andorra

England, for first place, and as much as I dislike Rooney I think his knows his foot, the British have been arrogant all this years probably for winning a world cup in their home soil that they didn't deserve, but I'll let go of my personal feeling and go vote for them, second place to either Croatia, Russia or Israel, the rest are tourists...

Group F
Sweden
Spain
Denmark
Latvia
Iceland
Northern Ireland
Liechtenstein

Spain, Sweden and Denmark, I wouldn't give first place for certain to anyone, the rest are just for the ride...

Group G
Holland
Romania
Bulgaria
Slovenia
Albania
Belarus
Luxembourg

Holland all the way, the Dutch should come first with ease, Romania, Slovenia and Bulgaria fight for second.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
the British have been arrogant all this years probably for winning a world cup in their ome soil that they didn't deserve

What are you talking about?

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Arenegeth is referring to the somewhat true point of the English team seemingly believing that they're always one of the favourites to win the World Cup despite not winning a major internation competition since their World Cup win on home soil in 1966, where England took the lead from a goal that actually never crossed the line. England went on to win the match and the competition.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see, was it proven it wasn't over the line at some point because I thought it was still in truth unknown or were you just stating your opinion that it wasn't?

I've seen the goal before obviously but I can't really remember it so well. Also, even if it wasn't over the line who's to say they wouldn't have won anyway, I know it's conjecture but I think it's unfair to say England didn't deserve to win. What about the hand of god incident? Maybe we would of won if it were not for that, these incidents balance out in the end and on the day England won, nothing undeserving about it from my point of view.

In addition try not to lump the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish in with us arrogant Englishmen, they may not like that Arenegeth. I'm not arrogant as far as I'm aware, I'd say England are chronic underachievers - they're not a great team, team being the focus of that statement, good players, only an alright team. They are less than the sum of their parts I feel but we do have a decent chance in the world/european cup regardless.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The goal has been proven to have not crossed the line thanks to the miracle of modern technology.

That said, I'm only arguing Arenegeth's position in his absence. I have no great love for England as a nation (People vary like all people from all nations. For exmple, I consider Axiose a good friend online and he's British. I'm actually half-British technically, and so on.) due to my own nationality but I still think England deserved to win the 1966 World Cup on merit.

The England national team is a combination of underachievment and overconfidence stemming from the extremely xenophobic tabloid media. My own personal view is that when you haven't won a major international or European championship for 40 years, you're no longer entitled to be one of the favourites.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't agree that if you haven't won a major tournament for any stretch of time you should not be able to be considered a favourite, teams change over time after all and it's not like being labeled a favourite has any special advantages. Apart from that I agree with what you've said, our media (the popular outlets such as *shudder* The Sun, at the least) is collectively thicker than a really thick thing and have a great tendancy to overhype our sports teams of all types, though cricket and rugby have had their fairly recent memorable successes to back that up.

I am a patriotic person at heart and English before British before European so I will be defensive of our national achievements however I'm not blind to our faults as a nation, or I try not to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: