Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The NFL season and post-season thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't think USC was very deserving until I witnessed the whomping they gave the Sooners. No way they share the title with Auburn--why does everybody love Auburn by the way? They did nothing impressive this year. As for Leinart, he values his time as a student in college more than a career in the NFL. His heart, if you ask me, is in the right place (maybe not his head). Even if USC doesn't repeat next year, as long as Leinart stays healthy and consistent he'll be the #1 pick in '06.

Anyway, my Championship predictions:

Eagles over Falcons

-Lightning can't strike 3 times against the Eagles. They gotta get to the Big Dance once with that stellar defense and McNabb in his prime. I think the Falcons, compared to the Bucs and Panthers who both beat the Eagles to get to the Super Bowl, are a much weaker team. This is the Eagles' chance to show they have the heart to get there. (Of course, watching them lose once again when bring tears of mocking laughter to my eyes!)

Patriots over Steelers

-The Steelers have the right formula for success--a great running game and a great defense. However, as solid as Big Ben has played this year, his inexperience will likely be their Achilles Heal. Especially versus Bill Bellicheck who is a defensive genius and a master of the game (like Mathiu!). I just don't think this is their year, but they will be back.

Super Bowl pick: Patriots over Eagles

-Patriots know how to perform in the big game, the Eagles don't even know how to get to the big game. If they make it this year, will they still have the drive to finish strong, especially against a post-season gladiator like the Patriots? *shakes 8-ball* My sources say 'no'!

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leinart is a pure idiot. He is getting his degree this month. There's absolutely no reason for him to stay in college except for the fact that he's afraid to turn pro. He knows that he'd be going to play in San Francisco, where they have a crummy offensive line, no real talent and wide-out, and a running back that has been quit on.. and rightly so. Coupled with complete overhauls of coaching and management SF isn't anywhere any pro wants to play.

As for the playoffs, both games this weekend are in the great state of Pennsylvania. And both home teams are going to make it to the stupor bowl.

Philadelphia is going to overwhelm Michael Vick with overload blitzes. You can't defend Michael Vick with a passive defense. The only team to beat the Falcons with a defense like that are the Detroit Lions. They absolutely shut Vick down. If you look at what the Buccaneers repeatedly do to the Atlanta Falcons it's a no brainer. The right gameplan doesn't necessarily stop the best running qb of all time, I know that don't tell me. Philadelphia has the most underrated offense in the playoffs, even among the teams that have already been eliminated. Their offense was always good, consecutive NFC championships show that. Their addition of Terrell Owens made the offense no longer good, but highly explosive. Without TO they still have an offense to be reckoned with. Lest us forget that the Eagles have arguable the best defense in the league. Their stats don't mirror the teams talent level and recent output. Since they switches Jeremiah Trotter to starting middle linebacker, the average rushing output against the eagles has gone from 120 to 95 a game. Pure averages from memory don't quote me. The weakpt. of the Fluffy Eagles is their run defense if you check stats. It's a misleading stat. A higher talent level than in any years past, along with the emergence of Brian Westbrook as a top tier running back, and a healthy Donovan McNaab, make the Eagles an easy winner in Philly 37 to 2.

And then there's the Steelers and the Pats. Problem here, is that whoever escapes this one is gonna be hurting. Both teams have punishing defensive backfields and linebackers. If you're a patriots fan, you can ill-afford another injury... anywhere. The Pats biggest strength is their coaching roster... the Steelers is their running game and defense. I think you'll finally see Staley come off the bench and make some big runs against New England. Staley hasn't played much at all, I think the Steelers are saving him for this reason. To blow up the best team enroute to another superbowl appearance for the men in black. Too bad they have to play a faster, fresher, better Eagles team than the one they beat earlier this year. Pittsburgh 88 New England 87.9

And the super bowl, short and sweet, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. A close hard fought battle until Philly scores 3 touchdowns on Rothlisberger fumbles. Philadelphia Eagles 22, Pittsburgh Steelers 1.

God I hate that NFL Network song.... he's got all kinds of time.

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nutflush, Here's saying a Pats VS Falcons Superbowl. I think the Falcons will surprise some people. If Vick an actually do something of importance while passing the ball, Falcons will win by a good margin.

Quote:
And so, Samurai, my Titans AFC Champions hat goes another year uneaten. It'll see me again next year; the next time I make that sort of wager on the playoffs.

Well, ok. Do you watch any other sports besides the NFL? I'd like to see if your this right in other sports. After how bad my predictions have gone this postseason, I really should stick with College Football. The last couple of years my NFL predictions have done poorly. If any of you ever have trouble with your picks, just look at mine. Pick the opposite of what I picked, and chances are you'll get the pick right :shock:

I didn't get to watch any of the games last weekend(finals), but it was the same story with the Pats/Colts. I think the Pats will dismantle the Steelers this weekend, unless anything drastic happens. The Steelers have looked like crap and are lucky to even be there. Expect Rothlisberger to have a horrid game, if you can't get by the Jets D no way your getting by the Pats.

Meh, Hackett took too much blame for the Jets loss. It's a wonder why everyone except Edwards ever takes the blame. I also feel bad for Doug Brien, fans need to cool down. It is after all, just a game. He'll be back with the Jets next year.

Quote:
Leinart did the smart thing...finish his education and go for 3 titles in a row...he's got insurance, so he's set for life anyway

Very true.

Quote:
You think that was smart...? Honestly, I see why finishing your education is important, but surely Leinart will want to play in the NFL, since he is so good. I guess it makes sense if he really is not interested in the NFL, but other than that I'm kinda' speechless as to why he might stay.

And what if he turns out to be a bust? What will he do then?

Quote:
As for Leinart, yeah, his insurance is only for a couple of million dollars, nothing compared to what he could make. However, if he gets a career-ender, then he's definitely got a future in the broadcasting/analyst buisiness, I guarantee it. Plus, if he DOES go through the year uninjured, he'll be in much better shape for the NFL.

I agree, spending a year extra in college and being prepared for the NFL is always a good idea.

Quote:
I didn't think USC was very deserving until I witnessed the whomping they gave the Sooners. No way they share the title with Auburn--why does everybody love Auburn by the way? They did nothing impressive this year. As for Leinart, he values his time as a student in college more than a career in the NFL. His heart, if you ask me, is in the right place (maybe not his head). Even if USC doesn't repeat next year, as long as Leinart stays healthy and consistent he'll be the #1 pick in '06.

There really weren't any 'great' teams this year that dominated everyone they played. Auburn beat my Hokies, but USC did too so it is a moot point. Leinart is doing the right thing by staying at college. Since he will remain to get an education, he will have a backup plan if football doesn't work out.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My prediction for the Philly/Atlanta game:

Although Vick sucks, he'll pull it out as the Eagles choke for the FOURTH TIME IN A ROW. They don't have what it takes to win a big game, especially without Owens.

My prediction for the Pats/Steelers game:

I'm biased, but I think the Pats will CRUSH the Steelers. Sure, they lost the first game, but that's because the Pats had no running game (FIVE yards. Five.) With Dillon, the Pats will overrun the Steelers. Bellichek will totally outcoach Cowher, it's no comparison. Rothlesburger can't win a big game, he would've lost last week if the Jets didn't utterly choke. The thing is, the Patriots have proven time and again that injuries do NOT hurt them, because they always get people to fill in admirably (they had people hurt during their last championship runs too).

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Although Vick sucks, he'll pull it out as the Eagles choke for the FOURTH TIME IN A ROW. They don't have what it takes to win a big game, especially without Owens.

I wouldn't say he sucks, he's the reason why the Falcons are where they are right now. Once Vick develops a passing game, he'll be hard to stop for years to come.

Quote:
I'm biased, but I think the Pats will CRUSH the Steelers. Sure, they lost the first game, but that's because the Pats had no running game (FIVE yards. Five.)

Really wouldn't have mattered, as the Pats were down big early. And don't forget, Steelers = #1 Run defense.

Quote:
Rothlesburger can't win a big game, he would've lost last week if the Jets didn't utterly choke. The thing is, the Patriots have proven time and again that injuries do NOT hurt them, because they always get people to fill in admirably (they had people hurt during their last championship runs too).

That's funny because Roethlisberger hasn't lost a single game yet. No matter what his stats are at the end of the day, he still wins.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I wouldn't say he sucks, he's the reason why the Falcons are where they are right now. Once Vick develops a passing game, he'll be hard to stop for years to come.

That was opinion. I don't like the guy, that's what I meant. He's a glorified running back, and will remain so.

Quote:

Really wouldn't have mattered, as the Pats were down big early. And don't forget, Steelers = #1 Run defense.

A good running game, even if somewhat stymied, takes a LOT of pressure off your quarterback, and helps to control the clock. And considering what a roll Dillon is on, I don't expect that vaunted defense to be incrediblly effective. Plus, I was never a big fan of stats in football, just wins and losses...which brings me to...

Quote:

That's funny because Roethlisberger hasn't lost a single game yet. No matter what his stats are at the end of the day, he still wins.

Brady's what, like 7-0 in the playoffs? 2 Superbowl rings? Even if you just go by success as a whole, Brady is superior there too.

Sinocard wrote:
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh don't get me wrong now, I think the Patriots will beat the Steelers in their next game. But...

Quote:
A good running game, even if somewhat stymied, takes a LOT of pressure off your quarterback, and helps to control the clock. And considering what a roll Dillon is on, I don't expect that vaunted defense to be incrediblly effective. Plus, I was never a big fan of stats in football, just wins and losses...which brings me to...

So was Curtis Martin. Pennington isn't near Brady's caliber, but Martin is one of the top HB's in the NFL, if not the top. To open up the run, Brady must be successful in the passing game. Otherwise, the Steelers will be able to effectively shut down the Pats like they did last time, Dillon or not.

Quote:
Brady's what, like 7-0 in the playoffs? 2 Superbowl rings? Even if you just go by success as a whole, Brady is superior there too.

Blah, we weren't comparing Brady and Roethlisberger. You said Roethlisberger couldn't win the big game, but he has done so everytime this far.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

So was Curtis Martin. Pennington isn't near Brady's caliber, but Martin is one of the top HB's in the NFL, if not the top. To open up the run, Brady must be successful in the passing game. Otherwise, the Steelers will be able to effectively shut down the Pats like they did last time, Dillon or not.

Both games rely on each other, that's the point...without one, the other is unable to truly be effective.

Quote:

Blah, we weren't comparing Brady and Roethlisberger. You said Roethlisberger couldn't win the big game, but he has done so everytime this far.

I'm pointing out that in his most recent (and biggest) game Roethlisberger choked, big time, against the Jets. Compared to the Patriots, the Jets are mediocre.

Sinocard wrote:
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, no way I can see Philly choking against the Falcons. It's been said before, and I'll say it again. Not a forth time in a row... Come on, only the Buffalo Bills are going to keep that record alive, and rightfully so. However, one thing that bothers me is when fans bring that up and say, "Man the Bills sucked so bad that they lost four times in a row in the Super Bowl!"

Oh, wait... Excuse me, did you say they lost FOUR SUPER BOWLS IN A ROW? Wait, that means that they'd have to dominate the AFC for FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS! Hello, that's just my experience with some rather... Uneducated fans, if you will.

With that out of my system, there's no way I can see Atlanta pulling it out against Philly. Just isn't gonna' happen. McNabb is twice the quarterback that Vick will ever be, even if Vick has the moves of a half-back. Not only that, Philly can play some D. Don't forget that, folks. Defense wins championships. Why do you think Indianapolis couldn't pull it off against the Pats? Again, this is the year of broken curses. If the curse of the Bambino can be lifted, then Philly's NFC Championship curse can be snapped.

As for what I think will be the more exciting game, I'll reiterate what I said before. I'm counting on the MAC-Back! No way I can see Rothlissburger choking this bad. I know, I know it's the playoffs, but I think he'll get that out of his system from last week. I'll be counting on him to play it like a season game, and dominate like he has in the past. Not that beating Tom Brady and the Patriots will be easy, but I'm pulling for the upset here. Heck, if New England wins this one, you can all but count on it that they'll win the Super Bowl. I just think that Pittsburgh will be the ones to answer the call tomorrow.

And thank you, Sir UberYuber for backing me up on Leinart. Also, you've added some additional insight to it, as well. Not too shabby, if I do say so, myself. :D

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I agree that San Francisco is not a very tempting organization for a rookie QB at the moment, but the Chargers were also in this state a year ago and they went from 4-12 to 12-4. Huh?? It's possible. Players/coaches/whoever can not hold a team's record against them when there are plenty of other factors that need to be looked at. For one thing, the 49ers lost a TON (and when you add up all the players, it probably equals a ton) of guys to injury this season--including Julian Peterson, the best player they have. Their OL was DECIMATED. It's not fair to judge this roster until they can get healthy. What they really need is a QB that was not Drafted in the 7th round (Rattay, Pickett, and now Dorsey were all 7th rounders). If they can solidify that OL and bring in a blue chip QB, they just might turn this thing around next year even.

Of course, Leinart probably figured "Psh, my college team would beat the 9ers, no way I'm going there when I still got one year left to party!" Only time will tell if he made the right choice.

(Of course, if Brett Favre retires this off-season, my Packers might be in the top 5 of the Draft next year, so the fact Leinart would be there next year might work out perfectly for Green Bay, hehe.)

Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, here's to hoping that Green Bay gets another great QB, Sir Nutflush! Hey, they may be the Detroit Lion's main rival, but still... If Green Bay sucks, those Lions / Packers games wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun!

Well, I somehow don't think that most of the experts were suprised with today's results. Most of us were betting on Philly breaking the curse, and they did just that. McNabb deserves a shot at the glory, as he's one of the league's best Quarterbacks. Much better than Vick, in my book.

As for that Pittburgh game, man... That sucked, I thought. I really was hoping that the Steelers would tough it out, and come out on top, but it just wasn't meant to be. Mind you all, I kinda' expected this to happen, but that doesn't mean that I'm not a little disappointed. Oh well, there will be lots of time for Ben to get his ring. He had an awesome year, and he'll definitely be one guy to keep an eye on in the future seasons. As for the game itself, I don't really think that Rothlissburger played that bad, that first INT seriously wasn't his fault, but I was hoping for a closer game. I thought it might happen at the begining of the 4th, but Cowher's decision kinda' stuffed that idea down the drain. It really wasn't a BAD coaching call, of course the fans boo'ed him like crazy, but I can see where he's coming from... Get the points now, then you don't need 2 touchdowns. But, heck, it's even better if you GET 2 touchdowns after, because as long as the defense holds, you'll be on top. Tough call, and that's probably why I'm not coaching. I would've gone for it, myself.

Well, then... The Super Bowl is all set. Philly vs. New England. I'm picking New England, but I sure as heck hope that Philly takes them to the wire... I am also pulling for a possible Terrell Owens return for the big game, as that would add that much more excitement to the game! New England has the clear coaching advantage, but it's hard to say team-wise. New England has more solidarity, but the QB situation is up in the air. Two of the best in the league are going at it, so I'm hoping for more of a shoot-out, fast-paced game! I would also give New England the advantage on the ground, since Dillon has proved that he is a force to be reckoned with. Defense might have to go to Philly though, but the Patriots played some awesome "D" tonight, so we'll just have to wait and see. I just hope the game is better than the commercials, myself! :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think New England will win. They're an experienced team who seem to always perform in the big game. Despite a shaky bit in the 3rd Quarter against Pittsburg, it seems that all pistons are firing and that all aspects of their game have been fine tuned and are ready for the biggest game of the year. Tom Brady has become so much more than just the young, skillful QB he once was. He's like a veteran now. He knows his teams, his capabilities, the atmosphere.. It seems he holds the knowledge that McNaab partially lacks. This IMO will play a big factor considering McNaab and Brady are fairly even in talent.

I think they're really evenly matched, but the Patriots experience realistically should beat them out. However, you might say Philadelphia has the heart and determination that the defending Super Bowl might have less of. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

I swear, if the game comes down to another Vinateri (spelling) field goal, I'm going to cry >.> He's got two Super Bowls on his foot already =P

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Congrats to the Eagles for their victory today, apparently they're made of tougher stuff than I thought.
However, to pick against the Patriots has proven to be utter fallacy, time and time again. Bill Bellichek has proven to be one of the best coaches EVER, he now has the same playoff record (9-1) as Vince Lombardi. Tom Brady is this generation's Joe Montana, and the Patriots are the best TEAM in football in our generation, and perhaps ever.

New England 24, Philly 10, "wardrobe malfunctions" not counted. :mrgreen:

Sinocard wrote:
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, nothing to surprising this Sunday. I'm disappointed though... I hate the Eagles and I'm tired of the Patriots, but hopefully the Pats can destroy Philly in a couple weeks. That would make me happy, in a sick way. :D

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Yeah, nothing to surprising this Sunday. I'm disappointed though... I hate the Eagles and I'm tired of the Patriots, but hopefully the Pats can destroy Philly in a couple weeks

Heh, true that. I really could care less for the game though. I can only hope that one the Pats or Iggles gets their hearts broken.

Quote:
Congrats to the Eagles for their victory today, apparently they're made of tougher stuff than I thought.

Yep, congrats to the Eagles. But the Falcons were just horrible. Vick should have tried passing with his right hand, maybe that would have worked.

Quote:
However, to pick against the Patriots has proven to be utter fallacy, time and time again. Bill Bellichek has proven to be one of the best coaches EVER, he now has the same playoff record (9-1) as Vince Lombardi. Tom Brady is this generation's Joe Montana, and the Patriots are the best TEAM in football in our generation, and perhaps ever.

Belicheck needs to be consistent a few more years to be considered one of the best coaches ever. He has a long way to go before he can even be compared to Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Landry, Parcells, Knoll, Gibbs etc. I would like to see the proclaimed genius go to a team down in the dumps and try to turn them around. Remember when he was head coach of the Cleveland Browns?

And I don't know about them being the best team in our generation. The John Elway Broncos of the late 90's would give'em them all they could handle and more.

But I do agree, Brady has been great. If (Big If) he continues at this pace, he'll be up there with Unitas, Bradshaw, Elway etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: