Suikoden United and Illusional Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The NFL season and post-season thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My picks for next week:

Eagles over Vikings, Rams over Falcons, Colts over Patriots, Steelers over Jets

(Only game I'm leery of picking is the Pats-Colts game, because the Patriots are good at being the underdog with everyone doubting their defense. That's the one game I think will bite me in the arse.)

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I wouldnt really call them the underdogs this year as people might see the Colts as the underdog considering that last year the Pats knocked them off. Or was it two years ago? Well I dunno doesnt really matter and since they have that much going for them it will at least psychologically put them on even standing with the Colts. Looking at everything I am not even going to make any kind of a call on that game because it could go any which way but the Colts are looking good and the Patriot Defensive Line is weak right now. But who knows I guess we'll find out on Sunday night.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They're not underdogs in the normal sense though. The Colts have been hot all year (which anyone, if they're reading page 5 of this thread, should know by now) and their loss to the Patriots in Week 1 really was before they clicked. All the sports shows are talking about how Manning will pick apart the Patriots depleted defense and that the Pats will have a hard time slowing them down.

Also, the sports books have the line for the game as 3 favoring the Patriots, but a little secret about home teams in the sports books is that ALL home teams are given a 3 point advantage automatically. That makes this game even, a toss-up.

For all intents and purposes, they're the underdogs (regardless of previous game outcomes--hell, the Vikings just beat the Pack after being swept in the regular season, so earlier games mean nothing in the Playoffs).

Satyr2

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is just one thing (well two) I want to point out about the Pats-Colts game. Manning has NEVER won in Gilette Stadium, and the Colts have the second worst defence in the league. Thats why I pick the Pats over the Colts. (besides the fact that I live a half hour from Gilette Stadium :P ) Otherwise I agree with what you have picked Nutflush. I definately want to see the Jets get wiped by the Steelers.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nutflush, I'm with you on this one, GO COLTS! C'mon, you gotta' love a team that embarasses Detroit on Thanksgiving Day! :P

(I'm allowed to say that, I'm from the Detroit area.)

Besides that, I've picked the Colts since the season started. Gotta' like the Manning / Harrison / James connection! :mrgreen:

But as far as next week's game is concerned, don't be too suprised one way or another. Heck, we know that the Pats rock this year, but you have to wonder after Miami bested them... Crazy, if you ask me, but that's why they play, you know? You never know until the final whistle blows...

And I'm pulling for the Steelers as well. Gotta' love that Rothlessburger guy, any QB from the MAC, I say! 8)

Eagles should beat Minnesota, but you have to give the Vikings credit for coming out on top in Lambeau... Also, add in the fact that TO is still out... One never knows, but the Eagles have had a good year, so we'll just have to see on that.

I'm clueless about the Falcons and Rams... I'd assume the Rams, but only because Detroit beat the Falcons, so that's obvious proof that Atlanta is inconsistent, but they're still a good team, so again... We'll just have to wait and see! :D

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My picks today are:

Rams over Falcons
Jets over Steelers-Don't hold this one against me, everywhere else I've picked Steelers over Jets. Gotta have some faith in the team. :)

No matter what the media says, I think the Jets have a great chance of beating the Steelers. The jets need to rely on Curtis Martin more, not Lamont Jordan if they want to win. Jordan is a good change up, and could start elsewhere. However, it is a lot easier to run on a defense after the starting running back has already warn them out. Jordan has been getting way too much hype and he is not as good as the media is making him out to be.

Jets three key players:

Pennington-needs to be good, or the Steelers can focus on the run like they did last time.
Martin-Needs to be consistent, but I have no doubts he will perform well.
Offensive line- Can't get anywhere without these guys having a good week. Go Kareem Mckenzie!

Steelers three key players:

Rothlisberger: If he can past the rookie jitters, he should be fine.
Jerome Bettis- Needs to play well or they will not win.
Defense- If they show up to play, it is hard for any team to beat them.

Tommorow
Colts over Pats
Eagles over Vikings

What a boring superbowl it will be if either of the 8-8 teams make it.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the entire area's pumped up for the Pats-Colts game...I couldn't score tickets though. :(

The forecast: SNOW! WIND! Indeed, the local forecast does not bode well for the Colts.

Thus, I forecast a win for the Pats on a late game Vinateiri field goal.

It should also be known that, if needed, Brady can match and even beat the Colts in a shootout. The Patriots have had their best offense EVER this season.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What a weekend! The Falcons totally whomped the Rams 47-14--who could have seen that coming but the players themselves? Over 300 yards rushing in one game??? Good lord, if it was my Packers playing yesterday, I'm sure the score would be no different. Next week's NFC Championship will be a goody. Eagles beat the Vikes, no surprise there.

A team from the NFC South has represented the NFC in the past 2 Super Bowls (Bucs won, Panthers lost) beating the Eagles on the way there. Will next week show the same trend?

I had to work today so I didn't see the Pats-Colts game, but when I looked at the box score I just knew it would happen. The Colts should have been able to dismantle the Pats creaky secondary, and that's all I've been hearing all week. But whenever you doubt the Patriots or underestimate them they jump up and kick you in the ***-flush :D.

Jets shoulda beat the Steelers and had 2 ample opportunities to do so at the end of the 4th quarter. I'm sure the kicker will be lynched in the near future--nothing scarier than a bunch of PO'd New Yorkers with pitch forks at your door at 3 in the morning. Brien better join the witness protection program.

So for the Championship weekend, all the wild cards have been eliminated. (Wow, that week sure did mean a lot, didn't it? Ugghhh...)

NFC Champ. game - Falcons at Eagles
AFC Champ. game - Patriots at Steelers

Any early predictions?

On a side note, the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the Draft has passed, and the 2005 Draft will be without QB Matt Leinart. I think Alex Smith of Utah might make himself a 1st rounder by default.

Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trust me, if Doug Brien played for the Pats, he'd be getting it much worse right now *cough*BILL BUCKNER*cough*. >_>

Anyway, I'm glad the Pats won, they're on a total roll right now, so I've got them beating the Steelers and the rookie Rothlesburger (if the Pats can make Peyton look bad, what do you think they'll do to him?)

As for the NFC, I predict yet ANOTHER conference title game choke for the Eagles, though I hate Michael Vick (nothing more than a glorified running back, IMO).

Obviously, I've got the Pats to win it all.

I don't have much in mind for the draft, I just don't see any players this year who will "break" the NFL like Rothlesburger and the like.

Sinocard wrote:
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree, Sir Nutflush... This weekend was crazy... I couldn't believe the Rams got routed like that... Especially when playing a team that the crappy Lions beat! I can only imagine that Philadelphia will dismantle Atlanta throughly... After all, this year they've really been the only worthy team in the NFC, and with a Super Bowl berth, there's a chance we might see T.O. return!

And man... That kicker for the Jets... I can imagine a scene like the shower scene in Full Metal Jacket... Beat with soap... Not that he totally deserves it, but still, you gotta' be clutch when they call your number! That's why kicker is such a tough position. Tough mentally.

Well, on adressing the Patriots... Well, that was depressing... Once again my prediction proves wrong... When will the Colts and poor Dungy get a chance to kiss Vince? I give it up to them, they had a good season. Too bad, they kinda snuffed out against New England...

With that aside, I think that next week's AFC Championship will be an awesome game! I'm just hoping that Rothlissburger won't play like crap, as he did against the Jets. I predict ol' Cowlher to rally his troops to kick some major New England butt! I love Tom Brady, as he is U of Michigan alumni, and even if the Pats win, I'll be happy for him, but I think a lot of NFL fans want something new... Again, since I like Brady, I don't hate the Pats, but it'd be good to see someone else win. With that said, I gotta' go against Tom Brady, and cheer for the MAC-Back!

Also, is it just me, or does Bill Cowlher kinda' look like Jesse Ventura with hair...?

Another thought, I know this is supposed to be an NFL thread, but who else thinks Matt Leinart is retarded for not entering the NFL Draft?! Gimme a break... A Heisman, and an NCAA National Championship... YOU CAN'T GET ANY HIGHER, DUDE! All he can do is wreck his stock in the NFL, unless he happens to achieve those two amazing feats again next year... But, that won't happen since I'm picking either Chad Henne or Mike Hart of Michigan to get that... (lol I'm only joking...) But seriously, Michigan WILL be a great team next year. They just better not choke against some stupid Notre Dame or Ohio State team... :?

Who knows, but that's not a far-off prediction... Too bad Michigan has that tendancy to choke, as I mentioned, and USC will likely rock again... But still, that's my next year's Rose Bowl pick! Lloyd Carr better friggin' win a Rose Bowl, or I'm seriously gonna' petition for the Univeristy to give him the ax! :evil:

Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leinart did the smart thing...finish his education and go for 3 titles in a row...he's got insurance, so he's set for life anyway.

Sinocard wrote:
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And so, Samurai, my Titans AFC Champions hat goes another year uneaten. It'll see me again next year; the next time I make that sort of wager on the playoffs.
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade wrote:
Leinart did the smart thing...finish his education and go for 3 titles in a row...he's got insurance, so he's set for life anyway.

You think that was smart...? Honestly, I see why finishing your education is important, but surely Leinart will want to play in the NFL, since he is so good. I guess it makes sense if he really is not interested in the NFL, but other than that I'm kinda' speechless as to why he might stay.

Ok, well three titles would be unprecidented, but even so... Both titles that USC won were tainted. Utah and Auburn are every bit as much national champions as USC. And we all know about the whole LSU thing.

As for his insurance policy... I can all but guarantee that it is crap next to the signing bonus he'd get in the NFL. As for my comment about the "tainted" National Championships, the only way college football will end the controversy is with (at least) an eight-team playoff in the post-season. The bowl system is meaningless, and its only current usefulness is giving colleges money. Certainly the sponsors would come out in droves for a College Football playoffs. Today, the bowl system is just an antiquated crap-fest chock-full of tradition that may be great, but outdated. As long as the Bowls remain in place, it will only lead to controversy. Almost all of the games have lost their meaning, and people only seem interested in the National Championship.

You're free to disagree, as this is just my opinion, but I think the NFL has got the idea down for the Super Bowl. It's time for the NCAA to wake up and smell the Maple Nut Crunch.

Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmmm...Maple Nut Crunch....>_>

No, I agree with you on several points, don't misunderstand. The BCS system is utter crap, and I think USC didn't deserve one or both of their titles. Still, reality is reality, and they're on the verge of a 3rd straight.

As for Leinart, yeah, his insurance is only for a couple of million dollars, nothing compared to what he could make. However, if he gets a career-ender, then he's definitely got a future in the broadcasting/analyst buisiness, I guarantee it. Plus, if he DOES go through the year uninjured, he'll be in much better shape for the NFL.

Sinocard wrote:
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it's down to the last four, so out of the 4 remaining teams I have to route for the Falcons of the Steelers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: