Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The NFL season and post-season thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um, have you been watching the saw Cowboys I've been watching this season?

The Patriots were still a playoff contender when Drew Bledsoe was their QB. Yes, Brady led them to the playoffs a few years ago when they won the Super Bowl. But remember, Brady got hurt in the AFC Championship game that season and it was Bledsoe that won that game. To me QBing in New England is like playing running back in Denver. The system they run makes the player great, not totally the player makes the team work. Okay, not all QB's would be great in that system, but put a halfway decent one there, and they will win.

Brett Favre is still greater than both Manning and Brady and I'm sticking to that saying. Favre has a ring, Favre has 3 MVP's and Favre is the man.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Samurai X wrote:
Lambeau field is hardly the toughest place to play anymore. Packers are 4-3 at home this year(Falcons also proved it in the playoffs two years ago). Also, since when does beating a team once mean that they will beat them again? Why even play the game if that will happen? I don't think the Cowboys will make the playoffs (that was a biased pick on my part), but they would be able to contend or beat the Packers any given day.

^ That gave me a good laugh. ;)

The Cowboys are clearly on a slide: on defense, they shouldn't be struggling the way they are, but they have obvious problems in the secondary and pretty average play from the linebackers. The only real bright spot on offense is Julius Jones, who has played very well the past 3-4 weeks.

Now, the Packers also have problems on defense--quite more than the Cowboys--but given the fact the Cowboy's offense is becoming one-dimensional with Jones I don't think they would put up the kind of yards and points needed to beat Green Bay. The Packers, despite their struggles against the Eagles, still have a top 3 offense in the NFL. The OL would out-muscle the Cowboys DL if they played again, especially out doors in the cold at Lambeau (which despite the Packers' record of late is still a very tough place to win in December/January).

So I'm sorry, but the Cowboys would not beat the Pack if they met in the playoffs.

The Boys are still not back to that level where they can realistically compete with the best teams in the NFC (which I admit there are few). Once they patch up their defense and see improvement from Drew Henson, they will become a contender.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Um, have you been watching the saw Cowboys I've been watching this season?

I never said they were good but again, they aren't bad. The Cowboys defense has sucked, not the offense. Good offense will never make up for bad defense unless your the Colts. (Whose D-line still gets pressure on the QB)The NFC as a whole is bad, so a rebound by a Bill Parcells coached team is not unlikely.

Quote:
The Patriots were still a playoff contender when Drew Bledsoe was their QB. Yes, Brady led them to the playoffs a few years ago when they won the Super Bowl. But remember, Brady got hurt in the AFC Championship game that season and it was Bledsoe that won that game. To me QBing in New England is like playing running back in Denver. The system they run makes the player great, not totally the player makes the team work. Okay, not all QB's would be great in that system, but put a halfway decent one there, and they will win.

Really? Let us look at Bledsoe's only full year as starter under Belicheck.
2000: 5-11
2001: They were predicted by many to be in last place again. Started 1-2 and Brady gave them the boost they needed. (I think it is funny I am arguing this because I have always like Bledsoe much more than Brady)

Quote:
Brett Favre is still greater than both Manning and Brady and I'm sticking to that saying. Favre has a ring, Favre has 3 MVP's and Favre is the man.

Well right now he is not. Historically, sure. Brady and Manning are both better than him presently.

Quote:
The Cowboys are clearly on a slide: on defense, they shouldn't be struggling the way they are, but they have obvious problems in the secondary and pretty average play from the linebackers. The only real bright spot on offense is Julius Jones, who has played very well the past 3-4 weeks.

Their defense has been horrible the whole entire year. They have not played Parcells style of defense at all.

Quote:

One-dimensional? Earlier this year everyone was saying the passing game was the only feature of their offense. They will click eventually.

Quote:
Once they patch up their defense and see improvement from Drew Henson, they will become a contender.

Sadly, Henson is not the future of the offense. Hopefully the Cowboys can draft a good young quarterback in the next draft. Anything can happen in the playoffs, and I will leave it at that.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sadly, the Cowboys already invested in Henson (I think they gave up a 3rd round pick if I'm not mistaken) and they can't really afford to bring in another young guy so early in the grooming process. If Testaverde retires after this year, the Cowboys will probably try to bring in a veteran while Henson continues to learn.

And as one who follows the NFL Draft, only two prospects are worthy of 1st round consideration at QB: Matt Leinart (USC) and Aaron Rodgers (Cal)--and neither are guaranteed to even enter the Draft at all. In which case, some of the other QBs might get pushed up into the 1st round, like Andrew Walter (ASU), Alex Smith (Utah), and Charlie Frye (Akron). None of those 3 would make an impact greater than the kind Henson can make early on. This isn't the year for QBs.

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know they invested in Henson, but he does not look like the way to go. Here's a question for you, who do you think is the best quarterback out of the list you gave? I'd go with Aaron Rodgers, he has a great future in the NFL. Everyone time I have seen him play he has looked great. Leinart will go will drafted highly, but I do not see him doing as well as Rodgers (I doubt either of these two are entering the draft this year)

Walters is going to be the bust of the draft. I've never been impressed with him. The one time I saw Frye played, he looked good but I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement on how he could do in the NFL.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rodgers has excellent mechanics, from the place he holds the ball, to delivery, etc etc. He is extremely accurate and has a quick release. Only drawback is that he's 6'1 200 pounds (soaking wet). So I'm not too sure what his bust-potential is at the moment. It really depends on where he ends up. I think Cleveland would be a good fit at #3 overall, he could learn behind Garcia for a year (they're very similar in stature, maybe not playing style).

I think Leinart is the Tom Brady of this Draft, extremely poised, great leader, works with the talent around him, doesn't force plays, decent arm strength (could use time in the weight room though). I like him above and beyond all other QBs for 2005.

But like you said, it's unclear if either will choose to enter the Draft in 2005.

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you really see Leinart being able to be that good? Maybe it is just a gut feeling of mine, but I do not think he will do as well as Rodgers, or Brady for that matter. I've seen him play a couple times this year against lower tier teams and he has performed ok. If he does well against Oklahoma's defense I will change my mind on him, but I don't see it happening.

A little off topic, but who do you see winning the major bowl games this year? I used to follow the NFL much more than college, but in the last few years I have paying much more attention to the NCAA.

My Picks for this year:
Orange Bowl: Oklahoma over USC
Sugar Bowl: Virginia Tech over Auburn
Rose Bowl: Texas over Michigan

Liberty Bowl: Boise State over Louisville

:) I know this is not a major bowl game, but it will be a much more exciting game than the Fiesta Bowl (Pitt vs Utah).

I also admit I am a huge Virginia Tech fan but I still think they will beat Auburn. I think whoever wins the USC/Oklahoma will do so by a large margin and Texas will blow out the Wolverines.
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Remember though, when he won the Heisman, Leinart said he was gonna stay at USC for his 5th and last season. So if he sticks to that he won't be in the draft this season. Which has already been stated.

I actually like Alex Smith out of Utah. He comes from a complex offense and he runs it quite effectivly. A QB does not have to be well touted coming out of college. Everyone was so high on Manning and Rivers this season. Yet, Rivers hasn't played a lick this year and Eli is still looking for his first win. Yet, Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh is now 12 - 0 as a starter. He, along with, o I forget his name at the moment, but he was the QB at Ohio State last year are the only rookies to win any starts this season. Alex Smith, given a chance could suprise a lot of people if given the chance. Scoff if you want, but I quess I'm crazy because I had Big Ben ranked higher on my draft chart thinger than Eli and Rivers last draft.

Another question, Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson? Which one will the Dolphins take?

Addition: Is LeFors going to be in the draft this year? QB outa Louisville I believe.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
actually like Alex Smith out of Utah. He comes from a complex offense and he runs it quite effectivly. A QB does not have to be well touted coming out of college.

Of course not, most of the players in the NFL are from smaller colleges.
Starting QB's from small colleges.

Chad Pennington-Marshall
Byron Leftwitch-Marshall
Ben Roethlisberger-Miami of OH
Jay Fiedler-Dartmouth
Dante Culpepper-Central Florida
Brett Farve- Southern Miss
and many more that I do not remember.

Heck, I don't like him that much but Terrell Owens came from Chattanooga.

Quote:
Alex Smith, given a chance could suprise a lot of people if given the chance. Scoff if you want, but I quess I'm crazy because I had Big Ben ranked higher on my draft chart thinger than Eli and Rivers last draft.

Smith has a great chance to be good, I think more so than Leinart. It depends greatly on who drafts him that will determine how successful he is.

Quote:
Another question, Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson? Which one will the Dolphins take?

Good question. I don't see Williams being all that good, I've been more impressed with Ronnie Brown. Virginia Tech has a very stingy D and we will see who is the better of the backs in the Sugar bowl. On the otherhand, I see Benson as a great back in the future for any team that drafts him. The Phins are having problems all over the offense, and I would not be surprised to see them go after a QB either. Fielder and Feeley have both been having very mediocre years.

Quote:
Addition: Is LeFors going to be in the draft this year? QB outa Louisville I believe.

Yep. I think him and Smith will be the QB sleepers of the upcoming draft.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a Bears fan.

...Let's just say it wasn't a very good year and leave it at that.

So now that we're completely out of the running, all I have left to hope for is that the Packers get their patooties handed to them. Quickly. Humiliatingly, if possible.

Meh.

And with that, I shall bit you adieu with our official chant -

Maybe next year!

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
I'm a Bears fan.

...Let's just say it wasn't a very good year and leave it at that.

So now that we're completely out of the running, all I have left to hope for is that the Packers get their patooties handed to them. Quickly. Humiliatingly, if possible.

Meh.

And with that, I shall bit you adieu with our official chant -

Maybe next year!

Hey, us Red Sox fans always said that, and it turned out allright...don't worry, "Da Bears" will be good again eventually.

Oh, and a big WTF at tonight's game...how could the Patriots lose against the lowly Dolphins? I missed the whole thing, but that makes me sick to my stomache that they would lose to such a craptastic team (no offense to Dolphins fans, I only speak the truth.)

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Goblin Phonologist

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A lot of people don't like TO, but I feel bad that he hurt his leg.

I still hope the Eagles can do something in the playoffs. Donovan McNabb is awesome.
You find a Stack of Old Records.
You find a Broken Turntable.
You find 12 pieces of Goblin Chocolate.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that the playoffs are here, I think this would be a good time to give my predictions. Not going to change too much from earlier, but I still believe the Colts and Chargers have the best chance to represent the AFC in the superbowl. The Chargers/Jets game could go either way because both teams have something to prove. Course, I'll be rooting for the Jets but I wouldn't mind seeing them lose. Another loss means Edward's and Hackett's jobs would be on the line.

The NFC is another story because it has been a very weak conference this year. I do not think Philadelphia will make the superbowl and neither will any of the 8-8 teams. As of late, the only team I have been impressed with is the Packers. I know I said the Cowboys could beat them, but right now the Packers are playing at a much higher level of play then the rest of the NFC. They started 1-4 but have gone 9-2 since and are one of the hottest teams in the NFL right now.

AFC Wildcard

5.NY Jets VS 4.Chargers
Chargers

6.Broncos VS 3.Colts
Colts

AFC Divisional

3.Colts VS 2. Patriots
Colts

4.Chargers VS 1. Steelers
Chargers

AFC championship
4.Chargers VS 3.Colts
Colts

NFC Wildcard
5. Rams VS 4. Seahawks
Seahawks

6.Vikings VS 3.Packers
Packers

NFC Divisional

4.Seahawks VS 1. Eagles
Eagles

3. Packers VS 2.Falcons
Packers

NFC championship
3.Packers VS 1. Eagles

Superbowl
Packers VS Colts

Colts

Eagles were not as good as they were thought to be with Terrell Owens, and now they will be in a lot of trouble without him. The only two teams I see coming out of the NFC are the Packers or Falcons.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, I'm glad you have such faith in my team! (If only I had the confidence in the defense.) I too think the Packers could cause some trouble in the playoffs, but they really need to get some turnovers on defense and limit the amount of big plays they give up.

Here are my predictions for this weekend:

Colts-Broncos
Winner - Colts (sure they lost this weekend, but they rested their starters, it'll be a different game)

Chargers-Jets
Winner - Chargers (Jets are probably the least deserving team in the AFC, among the Bills, Ravens, and Jags)

Seahawks-Rams
Winner - Rams (the Hawks are doomed to fail, the Rams have high emotions and swept the Hawks in the regular season)

Packers-Vikings
Winner - Packers (by a last second FG, winning 34-31! how strange!)

----------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, Alex Smith of Utah officially declared for the NFL Draft tonight. If Leinart and Rodgers stay for their final years, Smith could see himself as the top QB in this year's Draft. It's about to get real interesting.

Oh, I never checked this thread until recently (kept over-looking it) so I can't give my bowl game predictions. I'll just have you know, that I have been completely right so far (hehe). ;)

I think OU will defeat the Trojans tomorrow. It'll be a great game regardless of the outcome. Can't wait!

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Chargers-Jets
Winner - Chargers (Jets are probably the least deserving team in the AFC, among the Bills, Ravens, and Jags)

I wouldn't say the least deserving team, they have had many bad breaks this season. They could be 13-3 if you change a couple plays here and there. Once the Jets replace Edwards and Hackett they will be in a good posistion for many years to come. However, I still think my team can surprise some people if they get past the Chargers.

I do agree that the Rams have high emotions at the moment, but I think their is a great chance the Seahawks win the game. The game with the Jets probably took a lot of energy from the Rams. Either way, I expect a high scoring game because both teams have lousy defenses.

Quote:
Oh yeah, Alex Smith of Utah officially declared for the NFL Draft tonight. If Leinart and Rodgers stay for their final years, Smith could see himself as the top QB in this year's Draft. It's about to get real interesting.

I think it is a good idea for him to leave especially with Urban Meyer leaving for Florida. But I still hate when players leave college without graduating, success is never a gurantee in the NFL.

Quote:
Oh, I never checked this thread until recently (kept over-looking it) so I can't give my bowl game predictions. I'll just have you know, that I have been completely right so far (hehe).

I wish I could say the same about my picks. I've done ok, but yesterday I was heartbroken when VT lost to Auburn. Well, were gonna be good next year even with MV2 at QB. (Personally, I really don't like him that much after all the trouble he has had)

Oklahoma smokes USC tonight 42-24.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: