Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The NFL season and post-season thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Colts QB = Peyton Manning

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Samurai, you actually think the two best teams in the entire AFC are going to choke? I mean, I could maybe see Colts pulling off an upset over the Steelers, but there's no chance the Chargers' defense is gonna be able to contain New England's pass.

Yes I do. The Pittsburgh Steelers have not looked impressive to me. Rothlisberger(SP?) is going through some growing pains and their offense has already began to stall. If Pennington actually made some good throws last week, the Steelers defense would not have looked good. Put a team such as the Colts against the Steelers and you have Peyton Manning who will throw all over them. Once the Steelers are on their heels, it will be much easier for the Colts to run the ball against the top run defense in the league. Also the Colts have a horrible defense, but they constantly pressure the quarterback. Rothlisberger has not done well when he has been pressured.

The Patriots in my opinion have been even less impressive then the Steelers as of late. I have not seen too much of their games lately, but the times I have they have not looked sharp. The Colts, Steelers, Jets and Chargers all would have a great chance of knocking off the Patriots if they faced them in the Postseason.

The Steelers and Pats have the best records in the league, and have them for a reason. However, they seem to be slowing down. Teams who get hot around the end of the season usually have the most success down the stretch in the Playoffs. I consider the Chargers, Colts and Panthers to be the hottest teams right now and I will not be surprised if any of these three make the Super Bowl.

Quote:
And Brees' response to comments about his incredible comeback this season was "I knew my job was in danger, so I needed to focus on what I could control". He apparently did some absurd offseason training.

The thing I'm worried about is what's gonna happen at the end of this year? Brees' contract expires, and Philip Rivers was to succeed him-- but that was before Brees stopped sucking. LaDanian Tomlinson, a team leader, backed Brees last week, which makes this interesting. Should the Chargers choose the untested Rivers, or should they stick with Brees and let Rivers walk away with his large signing bonus?

I remember watching the Jets/Chargers game and the announcers were talking about his offseason workout and how he had worked hard to regain the Starting Job. Apparently he gained immense respect from his teammates and that has played a great role in his revival.

And to answer your question, it depends on how the Chargers do this post season. If Brees gets them to the Super Bowl or even the AFC championship, I find it hard to believe that the Chargers would release him, but you never know. If I was in the Chargers situation, I would keep both of them next year. If Brees proves not to be a fluke, I would trade Rivers for draft picks to team in need of a QB. However, that probably will not happen because they would have major salary cap issues if they decided to retain Brees. The Chargers will have to release Brees or trade Rivers. If I was in their position I would trade Rivers simply because I think Brees is capable of putting up the same numbers next year.

Quote:
I'm just waiting for the Eagles to choke like they do every year. They got lucky against Green Bay last post season. It wouldn't suprise me to see Michael Vick lead the Falcons into the Super Bowl. Though I doubt it matters. Either the Pats or the Steelers are gonna represent the AFC and if either of those two teams make it, barring a total collapse they should win the whole thing.

Do not worry, the Eagles will choke. Most likely in the NFC championship game, but it would not be surprising to see them falter earlier.

Quote:
Though the off season is going to be intersting. What will Edge do? Will Favre retire? Where will Drew Brees play for next year? Will anyone want to sign with the Dolphins or the 49ers? Who will be the number 1 pick? Will it be Mike Willams? Probably won't be Linehart, he says he's staying at USC. And will anyone take a chance on Maurice Clarrett?

Those are some good questions. I do not think Farve will retire, but he has a ring so he could anyway. The Dolphins and 49ers will get some players. If the 49ers were starting Ken Dorsey right now, they could have had a much better record. Dennis Erickson has always been a horrible NFL coach, he should stick to college.

Mike Williams will be a high draft pick. Unlike Maurice Clarett, this guy has a good head on his shoulders and will not be any trouble to any team that drafts him. Personally, I hope nobody drafts Clarett, that guy has so many problems it is not even funny(Oral exams, cars sheesh). I think the draft rule should stay intact (three years removed from high school) or the quality of the game will go down like it has in the NBA. However, I bet someone like Al Davis and the Oakland Raider's will grab him.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Samurai X wrote:
The Patriots in my opinion have been even less impressive then the Steelers as of late. I have not seen too much of their games lately, but the times I have they have not looked sharp. The Colts, Steelers, Jets and Chargers all would have a great chance of knocking off the Patriots if they faced them in the Postseason.

Yeah, because half their team is out with injuries. Hell, they've still won all but one of their games-- and they only lost that because Corey Dillon wasn't playing.

Quote:
I consider the Chargers, Colts and Panthers to be the hottest teams right now and I will not be surprised if any of these three make the Super Bowl.

I will eat a hat if any of them make it to the Super Bowl. That is my promise to you, Samurai. I will eat my old Titans AFC Champs hat. 75% cotton, 25% polyester.

Quote:
I remember watching the Jets/Chargers game and the announcers were talking about his offseason workout and how he had worked hard to regain the Starting Job. Apparently he gained immense respect from his teammates and that has played a great role in his revival.

Then the announcers are showing that they're (always) clueless, because a contract dispute was the only reason Philip Rivers didn't start.

Quote:
If I was in the Chargers situation, I would keep both of them next year.

No way. No team can hold two franchise quarterbacks.

In all honesty, I'd like to see the Spanos family be hurt in every way possible. If that means keeping Rivers and having him be Leaf incarnate, so be it. Those assholes want a new stadium, and as God as my witness, I will do everything in my power to keep that from happening (those of you who've read about the Petco Park construction scandals will understand).
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is a quiry:
Who is the better QB, Manning or Brady?

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks Locke I knew it was something like that but I couldnt really wrap my mind around that so I just couldnt remember. Anyways whats everyone picks for who will grab the super bowl this year? I like New England or the Colts if both teams can keep to what brings them to the game. Does that mean that they will certainly win if they do? Of course not but it will give them a better chance then if they dont, though all tactics must be changed as the situation changes from moment to moment.

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Yeah, because half their team is out with injuries. Hell, they've still won all but one of their games-- and they only lost that because Corey Dillon wasn't playing.

I suppose that could be a reason, but then you are saying Patriots>Steelers. Steelers still beat the Patriots handily, whether they were healthy or not.

Quote:
I will eat a hat if any of them make it to the Super Bowl. That is my promise to you, Samurai. I will eat my old Titans AFC Champs hat. 75% cotton, 25% polyester.

Heh, ok.

Quote:
Then the announcers are showing that they're (always) clueless, because a contract dispute was the only reason Philip Rivers didn't start.

Announcers have never been the brightest people.

Quote:
No way. No team can hold two franchise quarterbacks.

In all honesty, I'd like to see the Spanos family be hurt in every way possible. If that means keeping Rivers and having him be Leaf incarnate, so be it. Those assholes want a new stadium, and as God as my witness, I will do everything in my power to keep that from happening (those of you who've read about the Petco Park construction scandals will understand).

I know, and I said it was doubtful that they would be able to retain both of them. And, I didn't even know the Chargers wanted a new stadium. I doubt it will happen either way because they do not seem to have much support from the fans.

Quote:
Here is a quiry:

I say they are about equal. Manning may have many more tools, but Brady has the rings. It is hard to say who is better because the styles of both two teams are very different.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Samurai X wrote:

Yeah, because half their team is out with injuries. Hell, they've still won all but one of their games-- and they only lost that because Corey Dillon wasn't playing. I suppose that could be a reason, but then you are saying Patriots>Steelers. Steelers still beat the Patriots handily, whether they were healthy or not.

No, you walked right into this one. Pittsburgh was healthy. New England was not. Haven't you been hearing those guys who've been saying "Wait until the Patriots play the Steelers again with Dillon"?

Two touchdowns is not mauling the Patriots by any means. Believe me, once the AFC Championship rolls around, you're gonna see these two going at it, and you're gonna see the Patriots on top-- by no less than two touchdowns.

Quote:
Announcers have never been the brightest people.

True, but it strikes me as odd that they would be that oblivious.

Where do you get your info?

Quote:
I know, and I said it was doubtful that they would be able to retain both of them.

I know, that's why I said it's not doubtful-- it's impossible.

Quote:
And, I didn't even know the Chargers wanted a new stadium. I doubt it will happen either way because they do not seem to have much support from the fans.

It's mixed at the moment. The Spanos family has been in talks with Los Angeles in order to intimidate San Diegans who're still on the wall, which is why I despise them.
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Quote:
Here is a quiry:

I say they are about equal. Manning may have many more tools, but Brady has the rings. It is hard to say who is better because the styles of both two teams are very different.

I hate this argument. By this logic, Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino because he has a ring while Marino doesn't. It's really a nonsensical argument; Peyton has better tools and more physical ability, so he's obviously the better QB. Brady might be a better leader, but New England's defense is also miles ahead of the Indy's. Using rings, which is a team accomplishment, to compare individual players is inane.

Lebenengel wrote:
Samurai X wrote:

Yeah, because half their team is out with injuries. Hell, they've still won all but one of their games-- and they only lost that because Corey Dillon wasn't playing. I suppose that could be a reason, but then you are saying Patriots>Steelers. Steelers still beat the Patriots handily, whether they were healthy or not.

No, you walked right into this one. Pittsburgh was healthy. New England was not. Haven't you been hearing those guys who've been saying "Wait until the Patriots play the Steelers again with Dillon"?

Two touchdowns is not mauling the Patriots by any means. Believe me, once the AFC Championship rolls around, you're gonna see these two going at it, and you're gonna see the Patriots on top-- by no less than two touchdowns.

The Steelers weren't exactly healthy. They were missing some key players on defense (not that I can name any off the top of my head, being that I'm not a Steeler's fan).

But the thing is, New England ran the ball all of six tims in the game because they fell behind 21-3 so early. Corey Dillon wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference in that game, as they were passing it most of the time and Faulk is a better receiver out of the back field than Dillon is. Pittsburgh dominated the game; there's no two ways around that. Remember, they kneeled when time was running down and they were inside New England's 10-yard line. They could have easily made it 41-20 if Cowher was so inclined.

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, monetarilly wise it is possible for the Chargers at least for a while to keep Rivers and Brees. The Chargers have somewhere around 22 million dollars of cap room for next season as of now.

How can anyone call Rivers a franchis QB? He has yet to start one NFL game. Sure, he may have all the potential in the world. So did Ryan Leaf, David Klinger, Dan McQuire, Tim Couch and so on down the line. They all got the big money and then stunk it up in the NFL. Potential is one thing, living up to the hype and performing week in and week out is another thing.

I would resign Brees if possible. Remember Brees is only in his now what 4th year? He's still a young QB. Heck, look at Michael Vick, the QB the Chargers passed up that year. He's just now starting to become a passing QB. Not to mention look at what the Chargers got in that draft day deal. Dree Brees and LT. Not to shabby if you ask me. O yeah, they also got Tim Dwight in that trade also.

Sign Brees and see if any teams in the league want Rivers. I'm sure teams such as Arizona, Oakland, Green Bay, Miami would all be interested. In Green Bay Favre doesn't have many years left. Arizona has played about 3 or so different QB's this year. Miami needs a total overhaul and Oakland needs youth just about everywhere.

And how come when the best QB in the league discussion comes up Brett Favre is just about never mentioned? As of now, he's the only player in the NFL to win 3 MVP awards. He's got one thing in common with Peyton, without either of them their respective teams would totally stink. Sure, Favre may not break many single season records. But, if he plays for a few more seasons he could hold a good chunk of the all time records.

Just my two cents worth.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Samurai, if the Cowboys had to play the Packers in the playoffs--in Lambeau Field--there is NO WAY they would walk out the winners. Unless Brett Favre breaks both his legs and had to have his throwing arm amputated (in which case he'd still be the best QB on the field that day), the Packers would not lose to the Cowboys. A team they beat earlier this year, by the way, 41-20.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, as for the Brady vs. Manning question, it's obviously Manning. Brady is a pretty accurate QB, and a strong leader, but Manning is without a doubt the best QB in the NFL. End of story.

I think once Ty Law comes back from injury, the Patriots will be pretty strong defensively. But they've had inconsistent play from their OL, so they need to solidify themselves up front before they face the blitz-happy Steelers again.

I don't know what you've seen that indicates the Steelers' offense is slipping. And if you're looking at stats as the only measure of offensive strength then you will fall into a trap. The Steelers score points when they have to, they don't turn the ball over, and they have one of the best ground games in the NFL. Not all their wins have to be by 30 points.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I am a huge sports fan and love to see games but I have to be honest that I have watched less than a full half this entire year. The reason is that there are starting to be far to many rules out there that take away from the game and too many overpriced athletes that don't play for the love of the game. I don't like any of the teams that are in the hunt now so if I had to pick a team, I will swallow my pride and pick the Chargers.

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think for the Brady v.s. Manning, you can't look at rings or what tools each have or do't have. As many of you stated, Brady is a leader and I just don't see a leader in Manning. Pure playing ability is also a toss up because Manning has been forced to do what he is doing because of the defense of the Colts. In my opinion, Brady probably would be able to do the same thing if he was in the same situation. Now, record wise, Brady has a slight edge over Manning the past few years, but quaterbacks only face each other indirectly.

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brady is the superior quarterback because of what he does in the clutch. Plus, if you were to get somebody of the calibur of Marvin Harrison on the Pats, he would do just as well. Somebody on (I believe it was) Around the Horn noted that the Patriots play a totally different system than the Colts, and that if the Pats were to use the same system Brady might just have the stats that Manning has.

Let's put it this way: Until Manning gets a ring and proves he can win in the clutch, Brady will always be better. Stats =\= greatness.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I never said Pittsburgh was the unhealthy team, New England was the unhealthy team. Maybe I wrote that wrong. But, you think Dillon would have made that much of a difference? Great teams find ways to win. IF Corey Dillon played the game, the Patriots might have won. IF Mo Lewis never nailed Drew Bledsoe, the Patriots would have never heard the name Tom Brady etc.

Quote:
True, but it strikes me as odd that they would be that oblivious.

Where do you get your info?

My info?

Quote:
I hate this argument. By this logic, Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino because he has a ring while Marino doesn't. It's really a nonsensical argument; Peyton has better tools and more physical ability, so he's obviously the better QB. Brady might be a better leader, but New England's defense is also miles ahead of the Indy's. Using rings, which is a team accomplishment, to compare individual players is inane.

Where were the Patriots before Brady took over? Nowhere. Winning is part of greatness. Manning and Brady can not compared as I have already said they have very different schemes on offense.

Quote:
Samurai, if the Cowboys had to play the Packers in the playoffs--in Lambeau Field--there is NO WAY they would walk out the winners. Unless Brett Favre breaks both his legs and had to have his throwing arm amputated (in which case he'd still be the best QB on the field that day), the Packers would not lose to the Cowboys. A team they beat earlier this year, by the way, 41-20.

Testerverde is not a bad quarterback and he is much better than most people think. He has been a good quarteback the last six years and better than many other Qb's in the league. Take away the Tampa Bay years and his stats do not look bad.The Cowboys defense has performed horribly and has been the cause of their bad season.

Lambeau field is hardly the toughest place to play anymore. Packers are 4-3 at home this year(Falcons also proved it in the playoffs two years ago). Also, since when does beating a team once mean that they will beat them again? Why even play the game if that will happen? I don't think the Cowboys will make the playoffs (that was a biased pick on my part), but they would be able to contend or beat the Packers any given day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: