Suikoden Ugly and Informational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The NFL season and post-season thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I still wouldn't be surprised if he gets the boot soon. He's had so many chances in the playoffs. The Pittsburgh faithful will become restless if he can't bring a ring there in the next year or two. If Denver wins, it will be interesting to see how Pitt's ownership reacts.

Under Bill Cowher Pittsburgh has been to the AFC championship 3 times now since 2001, and just barely missed it in 2002 in an overtime game. Plus, he did take his team to the superbowl in 1995.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find very many coaches that win as consistently as Cowher.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Under Bill Cowher Pittsburgh has been to the AFC championship 3 times now since 2001, and just barely missed it in 2002 in an overtime game. Plus, he did take his team to the superbowl in 1995.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find very many coaches that win as consistently as Cowher.

Thats good and all, but he still hasn't brought any Superbowl Rings to the Steelers. Some coaches just aren't suited to take a team all the way. 14 years in my opinion, is more than enough attempts. He may have been in all those AFC Championship games (and the one superbowl), but his teams have blown all their opportunities. I think it would be interesting to see what the Steelers could do with another coach. It would be similar to the situation when Gruden took over for Dungy and went all the way.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can understand what you're saying, however I just can't see why a team would get rid of a coach that can win so consistently. I also think that Cowher has a team with more potential than at any other time in his stint with the Steelers. I mean, he's never had a QB like the one he has now (I know he's young, but he's good already and he'll only get better). You combine that with Steelers teams that typically have solid defenses and running attacks, and I think you have a winning formula.

Of course, I do like Cowher as a coach, so maybe I'm biased. But if you ask me the Steelers are on their way up, and if you take Cowher away you could throw that whole team into disarray. Especially because of his long history with the team.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OH YEAH!!!! Pittsburgh is going to Detroit. The Steelers are Super Bowl Bound! Ben Roethlisberger had a great game and Jake Plummer choked. He threw too many picks and that fumble early on really cost Denver. I think the second Quarter killed the Broncos.

The Bus is on his way home and I don't care who they meet, Carolina or Seattle, The wat the Steelers are playing they can't lose. I am so stoked.

Next up is the NFC game. Carolina and Seattle look to be a great match up. I hope the game is as exciting as the AFC one was. Last I checked Engram was questionable, but I think he'll play. How can he not? Its probably the biggest game of his career to date. Seattle will need every weapon they can to beat the Panthers, but it can be done. I think a Seattle-Pittsburgh Superbowl will be great. However if Carolina pulls off the upset, I'll not be terribly dissapointed.

I can't wait. Well I'm going to go and watch the Seattle-Carolina game.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it's going to be Seattle and Pittsburgh in the Superbowl. I can't say that these two teams were anything close to my prediction at the beginning of the year, but the playoffs were crazy. My initial prediction has me going for the Steelers, but the Seahawks have played some solid ball and Alexander has turned it on. If he can have a game like last weeks, the Seahawks have a good shot. Not to mention Seattle's defense, man did they play great. Pittsburgh though has seemed almost dominant at times these playoffs and are going to be tough to beat. I am happy for Bettis since this will probably be his last year and he has never played in a super bowl before. I expect him to play a big role and be the focus of attention by the media these next two weeks. I am sure we will get at least a couple of specials on Bettis by ESPN. Anyway It should be an interesting game and i am sure i will have more to say about it later.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Lord Vader

Lord's Minions

4417 Potch
721 Soldiers
20000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really wanted to see the Pittsburg Steelers go to the SuperBowl and man am I happy they did. I think the Steelers and Seahawks will make one hell of a game. I think this is going to be one of the better SuperBowl games in the last few years. I can't wait to sit down this weekend and watch this exciting game.

Go Pittsburg Steelers

General of the Godwin Army
United States Navy ATF-HT
Lord Vader

Lord's Minions

4417 Potch
721 Soldiers
20000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pittsburg Steelers Win The Super Bowl.

Yeah, I called that. The was a good game to see. Congrats to the Steelers. Hines Ward was named Super Bowl MVP. He definitely deserved that. Sorry to all you Seahawks fans out there.

General of the Godwin Army
United States Navy ATF-HT
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure Pittsburgh really played like a true champion, nor that Seattle did, either. I do know that the call on Darrell Jackson was BS, and should've been a TD, as was the holding call in the third quarter, without which, Seattle would've been placed on Pittsburgh's 1.

I dunno, it's really disappointing when refs make stupid calls that can taint an otherwise good championship. I'm not saying Pittsburgh wouldn't have won, anyway... But the game would've ended up differently. It is good to see Hines Ward win the MVP. I think I would've killed someone if Roethlissburger or Bettis won the MVP.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai, you're complaining about the Darrel Jackson play? I would think the real controversy was on the Roethlisberger touchdown run. I was with a whole group of people watching the game on a big screen TV and none of us saw that ball cross the line. In fact we saw the ball short of the line and after Big Ben was down on the turf he inched it across the line and claimed it was a touchdown. You could see the referee look unsure and then see Ben with the extra "its over... see!" face he had on, and the ref bought into it. Since there was no undispited proof that the ball never crossed the line (Ben did a wonderful job with the tuck, hiding the nose of the ball) the call couldn't be over turned, however there's a slim chance that was the correct call to begin with.

I'm a Steelers fan and have been for a long time, since I was younger and Kordel Stewart ran the show. So I am glad to see Pittbugh return to their glory once again. I think it was a appropriate ending to a wonderful career for Jerome Bettis. He will definitely be placed into the NFL Hall of Fame. Last time an NFL great said his goodbye in a championship it was John Elway, and that was a tear jerker too. A better story couldn't have been written for the Bus. His final stop was the superbowl, somewhere he'd never been before in his 10 year career. And to make it even more special it was in his hometown of Detroit, Michigan. We all heard the stories of how he was going to retire after the upset last year in the AFC championship game and the promise Ben Roethlisberger made to Bettis that if he stayed one more season, he'd get him to the Superbowl. And well, the rest is history.

I though the game was well played. Pittsburgh's defense stepped it up whenever the Seattle offense started to show any sign of taking off. That interception in the fourth quarter by Ike Taylor really helped dashb the dreams of the Seattle fans. I really think Seattle had a problem with game clock management and that caused them to have a much harder time finding their rythym. If you remember, even in the second half as time was ticking down, they acted as if they had all the time in the world and there was no time ticking away or something. It was overall poor clock management. The Seahawks burned their timeouts frivolously as well. Sure they weere used to try and stop Pittsburgh from eating all the time up, that was not a bad move it was the failure to stop them from making the first downs on the ground. They had to have known that they'd be running in the fourth quarter like that. Its what Pittsbugh has done all post-season and most of the regular season.

My favorite play was definitely the reverse turned deep out pass play. The Seahawks failed to remember that Antwaan Randle-El played as a quarterback in college and was initilly drafted as a QB. He was projected to be similar to Mike Vick, but Bill Cowher saw that he had damn good hands too and at that point he had Tommy Maddox so he ran a few drills with Antwaan and saw he was a great receiver too. Randle-El's touchdown throw was the first ever touchdown throw by a wide receiver in a Super Bowl.

I didn't watch the halftime show because A. I hate the Rolling Stones and B. Mick Jagger is an arseface. I am a religous watcher of the NFL Network, on cable. Rich Eisen was given the golden opportunity to interview Mick Jagger. Rich and Mick began talking about footbal and Mick straight up said he does not care for the sport and he did not really want to do the Super Bowl halftime show altogether that much, but because of his fans' cheers to do it, he decided to. He went on to say that had he not already been on a tour in the United States, he'd never have even contemplated doing the show. I consider that rude and unneccessary. If you harbor that kind of attitude towards an american tradition like the Super Bowl, they you're insulting america. If you didn't want to do the fricing show, then pass it on to the hundreds of other great bands who would kill for the opportunity to do a halftime show. As much as I hate Bono and U2, they've stated that they want to return to the Halftime spotlight. The ydo put on a good show, I still wouldn't have watched it, but at least I wouldn't have felt like he was only doing it as a favor to is 40 year old fans. Mick Jagger, you old decrept ingrate, I freaking hate you more than ever now. Before I only tolerated you but now I'm with all the others who say you're just a money-grubbing old timer who needs to move on and retire. Loser.

The pre-game show with Stevie Wonder and Joss Stone was quite entertaining and I think that would have been a more apropriate for the Dteroit setting considering it is the hometown of Mo'town music. But who am I, but a loyal fan of the sport, to make these kind of decisions.

All in all Super Bowl XL was a fun experience and aside from the Rolling (in their wheelchairs) Stones the show was excellent.

Oh, and finally I'll address the commercials. Aside from the Budwiser ones, there weren't a whole lot of great ones. The best commercial of the eening in my opinion though was for Fed Ex. It had a caveman tying a bone to a Pterodactyl's leg and sending it off to fly somewhere but right after takeoff a T-Rex intercepts it and starts to eat the Pterdactyl. The bone that was tied to the leg flew back to the cave men. The next scene shows the cave man entering a cave where another cavemen (boss) sat and the first cave man said "The package didn't make it." and the boss caveman said "Did you use Fed Ex?" and the first cavemann replied "No" then the boss says "Well then, you're fired" and the first cave man said "But Fed Ex isn't created yet!" and the boss goes "Not my problem." so the caveman leaves the cave and punts a tiny dinosaur in anger (hysterical) and then gets stomped on by a big brontosaurus leg directly afterwards. Ah, I got an I dead.... Here, Now you can watch it. Why didn't I do that before... Durrr.

This Bud commercial was hillarious. Its the streaking sheep one.

This one was clever, but its for Michelob so it loses points. Funny nonetheless.

I think this one was perhaps the most clever of the Bud commercials. Too bad it wasn't a real "wave" but CGI. That would be sweet it if were real.

Most of my friends claim This was the best superbowl commercial. I disagree, but it was funny. I liked Fed Ex better.

There was another Bud commercial I really liked however they haven't put it at YouTube yet. It was the one where a Clydesdale Pony comes up to the Budweiser wagon and envisions himself pulling it, so the pony gets into the bridle and starts pulling but id oeasn't budge. 2 adult horses see him trying and then the pony starts to pull iy. The camera then pans to the rear of the wagon where the adult clydesdales are pushing it with their heads making the pony beleive he can pull it. It was so touching. Everyone wwent "Awwwww" in the room. I loved that commercial.

Anyhow, thats my take on the Superbowl. It was a good show and a lot of fun. Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Steelers on their 5th Superbowl victory in its team history, and an I'm sorry to all those rooting for the Seattle Seahawks, but their team is still good and if they're still as good next year, they definitely have a shot.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Red that Ben Rothlisberger did get that touchdown. As far as I understand it the ball has to be under control and from there things are taken from the furthest point forward the ball reaches, now I'm not exactly an American Football fan so feel free to clarify that rule if I'm wrong but from what I saw it was further forward while he was in the air (far enough to just place it over the line) before that guy hit him, pushed him back a little way and made the ball actually land behind the line. Yeah it did land behind the line before he popped it forward over the line again but the place it lands isn't the important thing like in a game of rugby. At least that's my take on the thing.

Oh and for such a physical sport what a pathetic call on Jackson, call that a push? I've seen worse infringements in a game of netball than that! That should of been a touchdown too. Weak.

Anyway grats to you Steelers fans on the win. Oh and it's Pittsburgh, come on some of you lot and stop dropping the h!

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw a bit of the game (namely the first quarter) and thought that the Seahawks were playing much better than the Steelers. They kind of have gotten pumped up by the Stones or something, because they weren't playing nothing good till the end of the first quarter.

Before you ask, this is the only piece of American Football we get here in Portugal every year (and I couldn't see it completely because it was already past 0:00 AM and I had school at 8:30 AM), although we do get about 3 games a week of NBA, a weekly magazine about the NHL, along with the final of the Stanley Cup and some bits of American football/soccer. However, the bit I watched seemed better than last year's.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, how surprising. I call for Bill Cowher's job, and the Steelers win the superbowl. I still don't like the guy, but it's good to see him get a ring. I'd hate to coach a team that long and not win anything important.

Overall, it was a badly played game by both teams, but the Steelers did what they needed to do to win. The game was a bit controversial but the most deserving team won. It wasn't a fun game to watch, at all, but the superbowl is the superbowl. And with the end of the superbowl, the draft will come soon. Hopefully the Jets can draft decent now that Bradway and Germ are gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: