Suikoden Unique and Irrational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The most good or so-so underated Rpgs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
The only game from the main Final Fantasy series which I don't have, is Final Fantasy III (the real Final Fantasy III, not the Super NES version of Final Fantasy VI) since it has yet to be released in English.

There's always the fantranslations, and there's even one fanmade PSX iso, which is basically the translated NES rom and an emulator. It's nice, as long as you don't have moral problems with using a cd for a 4 mb file...

I started collecting all the FF for PSX/2, and since that one was the only one missing, i used that iso. And even made a custom cover for it... Hey, i'm a somewhat obsessive collector, ok?

All the way to the edge of this world
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Azure Dreams is one of the best under-rated games EVA! But I haven't got to the top of the tower yet but my Kewne and Viper will get me up there evantually, wonder whats up there?
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's been awhile, but i'd made it to the top of that tower after many hours of gameplay...i can tell you, if you really want to know :wink: .

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Dakota

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure I like spoilers! :lol:
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I have played and beaten Azure Dreams and I will say.... absolutely nothing as what reason would there be for me to spoil it for you if you intend to finish it? So no i wont be saying anything but good luck sitting still long enough to get through all the floors and finishing it. It takes a great deal of patience since you cant quit and come back to the tower later. That would have been nice though if you could do that but it's an unrealistic thing to expect. They really should make another one just like that. You know the whole sequel thing but I doubt it.

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright but will you tell me if its a Jaw Dropping Spoiler as in Knights of the old Republic Jaw dropper or Final Fantasy Jaw dropper.(KOTORs JD was huge while mos FFs JDs are not)
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I wouldnt call it that big of a major spoiler but it's interesting. It's been awhile since I played it and I may have forgotten bits and peices so i will just let sybillious ruin the top of the tower for you if you really truly truly want to know. Generally from my perspective I choose not to spoil myself the ending or part of the game for that matter unless I know I wont play it for quite some time. I mean the only reason i read up on a whole bunch of things about Suikoden four back when that was in high profile on the forum was because it was still some time till it came out. Right now I will not look at anything that would spoil a great deal of the game I mean characters and info about them is one thing but you know what im talking about.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno, I can still put in Donkey Kong Country 2 and relive hours of fun... yet this game has fallen off the radar because it's SNES. Same goes for the original Zelda games (which I only borrowed but never finished, to my disappointment).

Hopefully everything that was once on the obsolete systems of NES and SNES (and whatever else I'm forgetting) will get re-released down the road in the newer format. Kids will look at some of these titles and not be interested, but us old fogies would definitely appreciate them (hard to believe that many of us are in our early 20s, yet we're fogies in the gaming world)!

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

just put them on a GBA, hey FF 1 and 2 are on both PS and GBA...i mean why!? I mean Zelda is on the GameboyAdvance!!! why can't they put zelda, and link's adventure on it...nooo....

nooo they turned Super Mairo Brothers 3 on the GBA and called it Mario Land 5 or somthing...what the? hey wheres mario 2?

i need to finish my FF3. man i'm underleved.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spell Breaker

The Long Patrol

162411 Potch
122 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Secret of Mana for the SNES is/was pretty underrated. Much fun to play with a couple buddies but the AI was absoutely stupid when you play on your own. Too bad the SNES sequel was never released outside of Japan.
Illusion of Gaia was also pretty underrated. It was pretty neat to change among three character types and the storyline seemed pretty offbeat. But the bosses were too damn tough for my liking.
Landstalker for the Genesis was very underrated. Isometric action-rpg with a long quest, great characters and absolutely ridiculousy tough jumping puzzles. The puzzles were tough because there wasn't any shadows or any other way to judge distance and location without a lot of trial and error.
I can think of other games like Beyond Oasis and Legend of Oasis but I don't think enough people ever played them to even make them underrated rather than forgotten.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fantasy VII....hahaha just j/king but seriousley I think that Super Mario RPG:Legend of the Seven Stars, I remember playing that as a child it was so freaking hard at points (especially at the final battle) but in the end it was a solid RPG.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmmm... There are so many... But here's my list...

1. Star Ocean : 2nd Story
- I love how it goes. the story is great and even though it's old graphic based interface is there it's truly amzing! I love then interactivity and lovely music! (I'm a big LeonxPrecis fan!)

2. Valkyrie Profile
- I'm also a mythology nut that would play this game over and over again if only mine didn't rust all over! I'd recommend this to all you rabid RPG gamers! It's fun and informative. Great art!

3. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
- You may not like it. But i love cutesy fairytale RPG's i've seen! It's pretty decent and if you like singing characters, you'll like this omance/comedy flick!

4. Threads of Fate
- I love the two-sided storyline and how the magic system works. It's pretty decent and would have made me happy. Unfortunately, my CD hung up midgame! I was so aggrvated!

5. Thousand Arms
- Blacksmithing and dating will never be the same again! I love the anime cutscenes and how the story is, It's so wonderful. If you like wierd relationship and a dating game at the same time, Buy this game!

6. Saga Frontier
- I actually like this somewhat strategy-like game. It's good for those people who don't like repetitive spells 'coz you can leaarn your own based on affinities of you equipment. I love how you canexperience the wars here. I couldn't buy Duel Saga. Now i regret it...

7. Legend of Legaia
- It's pretty decent in the storyline and has developed characters. The main character seems to have a repetitive hairstyle though. I loved it when it was first released for it was a CGrendeed environment! You should by this if you love adventure in a mature fashion even though it has a cliche plot.

That's all for now! I'll add some more, later!

Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Breath of Fire 3. I thought this was the best of the entire series and that the gene splicing system of dragon genes, the learning of enemy techniques, combined with the mastser system of leveling made for one of the most innovative and fun combat systems I have played.

Combining dragon genes never got boring or me, I loved coming up with different dragons every time and finding new combos that led to new breeds. And there are not many things cooler than being able to turn into an onion dragon, and then into massive anklosaurus looking creature in the span of a few seconds.

And as said before, Xenogears, (athough I think it gets a fair share of attention), will always be underrated to me, because I think it is the greatest RPG ever created. I rate most RPGs on their ability to get emotion out of the player, the coherancy of complex storylines, on their use of new ideas and the level of realism that I see in the characters. Xenogears exceeds every expectation I could ever have in a game in all of these qualities. *SPOILERS* I will never forget the first time Fei starts talking about how he destroyed his village. I believe that the simultaneous expression of pain, remorse, insanity and despair has never been shown more clearly in a single video game moment than it was at that point. The music, camera angles and zooms, and script made me feel in the world and like I was watching a movie, but I never lost the thought that I was in control, causing a more empathetic view of the characters, because in a way, that is unlike other forms of media, I was Fei. I was the one controlling the village getting detroyed, I was the one flipping out. I think no other game (besides maybe Metal Gear Solid 2), amde me feel some inside of the game. This isn't even starting to mention all of the double meanings on words, philosophy and psychology in that game. I could go on, but basically, Xenogears owns.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

azure's ending is rather...odd, and i will leave it at that.

sega genesis had some great rpgs, like shining in the darkness *so many hours in the dungeon...arrgh!* and phantasy star; many hours were spent on those games, yep.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not quite sure if it's underrated, but Eternal Darkness is certainly almost never mentioned. That game is just plain awesome, although I suppose it leans more toward action/adventure...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: