Suikoden United and Illusional Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The most good or so-so underated Rpgs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just recently bought Saiyuki: Journey West, but I've been so preoccupied playing through Tales of Destiny (which I picked up around the same time, along with several other games) I haven't had a chance to play it.

As for Wild ARMs, the first game was very good. I didn't find the second one too special; it annoyed the hell out of me. The third was good, but nowhere close to part 1.

Legend of Legaia just didn't appeal to me. It was entirely too slow for my tastes; I found Legaia 2: Duel Saga to suit me much better, though it was a pretty mediocre game as well.

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wild Arms is one of the most underrated RPGS ever along with The Ogre Battle.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lord Dredd wrote:
Being the old school gamer that I am two of my favorite so-so RPG's would have to be the first two Dragon Warrior games on the NES. Crappy graphics due to being a NES game and not the greatest storyline, but I enjoy playing them and wish I could find both of them.

These are not underrated. In fact, in Japan I hear they aren't allowed to release a Dragon Quest during the work week for fear that the whole country will take the day off to purchase the game.
---
Vagrant Story flew under the radar for a bit because of the FFIX release. But I'm not sure it's underrated either.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being the TRPG fan that I am, I enjoyed playing Saiyuki: Journey West also Synchysi, it is a great game, and at the time it was one of the last few games to be released on the dying PSOne. The graphics are the usual standard for that type of game, but they looked pretty nice to me, that style always appeals to me. The battle system was a nice change of pace, with the Were change and all, becoming powerful beasts. Even the basic magic each of your units could employ was quite good and the magic spells looked great in action.

It provided a nice challenge I suppose, and the enemies were detailed and unique enough for being on the PSX. I got barely half way through the game and had clocked up over 30 hours of gameplay, mind you I leveled up a lot and did all the jobs and side quests I could do, and at one stage I left my game running for a while... Either way if you do every mission and the secret missions and side quests, this game provides a long and interesting TRPG.

I was also preoccupied with playing and finishing Tales Of Destiny not so long ago, although the graphics were dated, they were good enough for me, and I think it took me between 30/40 hours to finish this game, and once again I di every little thing I can to make the game last longer. I own Tales Of Destiny 2 and have yet to play that. Though of course it is not the true TOD 2, the Japanese one, it looks alright as a second TOD, though not sequel. I look forward to Tales of Rebirth when that arrives, translated to perfection (well when does that ever happen?).

I own Wild ARMS 1/2 on PSX and have only finished the first one. I have the third one on PS2, but I don't want to play it until I have finished the second Wild ARMS. Even though I have a lot of Wild ARMS to play, I still eagerly await Wild ARMS: The 4th Detonater, well and the translated Alter Code:F.

You know, living in Australia, it is very rare for someone to come across or even hear of half of the good RPGs I own on the Playstation. I am just lucky I knew how to import these good games, and at the times I could not use my PS2 to play them in color because I did not have a modchip. So luckily I knew a little about how to convert them from NTSC to PAL by use of the odd few programs I had, or simple NTSC-PAL patches and selectors that Megagames.com had available. It was not that hard a process, and allowed many copies of backups for my games. But still, a few select games such as the great TRPG Saiyuki, Tales of Destiny, Final Fantasy Tactics, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete either never made it to our shores or had very few copies (to my knowledge none of them are available in PAL form) so I consider myself quite lucky to be able to play a lot of underated and not so well known RPG gems.
Cyrano

the vengeful lynx

126422 Potch
23 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmmm i liked lunar( both of them)

hmm never played star ocean...

xenogears was GODLIKE !!!

legend of legaia had a good story and good characters... tough they could have developped a little bit on other thing.. but on overall i think this was a very good game.

legend of dragoon was nice, very nice... but when i tried to play to it a second time.... well i got bored..... it was only a one-time use game... too bad....

ho yeah!! ( just remembered) I played to fallout. hahahaha that was one kind of a game.... sex, family, honor... everthing could get in this post-apocalyptic game.

suikoden?? well i think its rating are getting higher with time... doesn't it?

well.. one game serie that I think it got underated was the wildarms series.. they fused the rpg styles with western and it got us a very good mix... it was really good, the story was well based and the caracters always have a background. ( if i remember well) well i LOVED those games
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FF7 was the transition game and was the first to bring about a faithful, large American audience who were too impatient or good for FF6 and the early years. Of course everyone will talk about it, but I wonder how come they don't get tired of it...it's probably my favorite FF, but disecting it so much would drive me nuts. I've heard a lot of people say that it's OVER RATED, but I think that's only coming from the people that are jealous with its success and mad because earlier FF's do not receive nearly as much recognition, or because the fan boys and girls are bugging everyone. I think FF7 deserves the hype.

Anyway I play a lot of "under rated" rpgs, though they are still kind of mainstream...I echo the sentiments for Earthbound DON'T EVER SELL IT. I was going to sell my second hand copy of EB when i sold my Super NES, but kept it on a whim. I have since "borrowed" (forever) my cousin's SNES and I can play it anytime I want now. Emulators are nice, but they aren't the same.

Anyone remember Lufia? The second was much better than the first. It made a lot of people mad though, because the puzzles were killers. Well, to me they are. I'm not good at that stuff.

Super Mario RPG, another one...though that was popular in it's day, but people seem to have forgotten about it.

I would also say that Star Ocean is under rated, as is Valkyrie Profile. They're not widespread games, but their music is spectacular and they just offer a different kind of gameplay battle wise. VP especially. Short and to the point. Though good luck finding a decent copy that Enix hasn't screwed over...they're infamous of their bugs.

Vagrant Story is fun, but it's not really rpg-ish. Though fun. I hear FF12 will have that sort of feel to it.

I don't think Legend of Dragoon was under rated at all. It was a desperate attempt to try and rival FF and it failed miserably. Most of the music was horrible, the characters are so one tracked and predictable, the romance is sappy (what are we, stupid?) and just the overall look and gameplay is just a cheap Final Fantasy knock off. That being said, it's still one of my favorite games.

Lesse what else...Wild Arms 2, Suikoden (of course), and definately Breath of Fire 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are just...ugh. I hated the transition.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well a friend of mine lent me a copy of the game once but I could never get my system to play it sadly. There are reasons for that which I am not going to go into right now but when I played it elsewhere it was a pretty decent game anyways but it had it's small problems. The characters were not exactly well developed or in some points down right annoying. The battle system while it had some differences from the standard strategy rpg but generally it was otherwise pretty standard. Far from the classic revoltionary nature that was Final Fantasy Tactics but it was decent. I have been trying for a few years now to find myself a copy Harvest Moon: Back to Nature as I have always loved that series and that is the only game that I dont own yet. Heck I dont even own a Gamecube and I already own a copy of Harvest Moon:A Wonderful Life.

I must say however that the reason that Xenogears seems kind of lackluster for the most part except when it comes to the story is because the makers were limited. Squaresoft at the time didnt give them nearly enough funding to make the game what it truly should have been because they were spending so much on a certain other game. Oh if you are wondering what this certain other game is I am making refrence to Final Fantasy seven. It is strange that a lot of people I know say that Xenogears sucks when compared to Final Fantasy seven when said game is the cause for Xenogears lack of funding. By the time they were half way through making the game and came to the second disk they were told to rush it so they could release. Thus the second disk was too short for their own liking and well that draws from the game obviously. If you are wondering where this information came from it was taken not a direct quote mind you, but it was taken from the head of production on Xenogears.

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
FF7 was the transition game and was the first to bring about a faithful, large American audience who were too impatient or good for FF6 and the early years. Of course everyone will talk about it, but I wonder how come they don't get tired of it...it's probably my favorite FF, but disecting it so much would drive me nuts. I've heard a lot of people say that it's OVER RATED, but I think that's only coming from the people that are jealous with its success and mad because earlier FF's do not receive nearly as much recognition, or because the fan boys and girls are bugging everyone. I think FF7 deserves the hype.

I've been playing it lately, and i must say it IS over rated. It is a good game, yes, but not quite the godly thing most people make it out to be.
The story is good, though poorly executed. Graphics are nothing of the other world, although the scenery is nicely done. But the camera mode makes for incredibly annoying maps. Characters are stereotypical as hell. I mean, just look at Barret... The battle system annoys me, with the whole forced limit breaks thing, among other things. So does the materia system. It's great to be able to customize each char's magics, but do i need to specify Aeris is a healer each damned time she leaves the party and comes back?
All in all i think the game is, by all means, good, but doesn't deserve such hype.

But then, the subject has been tried so much that it gets nauseating...

Now, back on topic, the original Tales of Phantasia was sadly under rated...until some groups decided to translate it. Nowadays it is rather well known, but it still suffers from the lack of an official english release. They could do one of these PSX books for the PSX version, or a GBA port for the SNES version (as they already did, but japanese only).

All the way to the edge of this world
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well a game which I personally loved, and is very underrated is Azure Dreams

The game is centered upon the idea of building a life, in this case, the life of your character. You take over just about every aspect of his existence, ranging from his familial obligations to his romantic pursuits and beyond.

Thrown in, of course, is no small amount of adventure of challenge; but that's all really just there to provide a means by which to elevate the status of your hero.

But what I like most about this game is that the plot development depends primarily upon your interactions with the game's NPC's. You'll come to truly like and care about many of them, and I personally found the story of this game to be highly charming and with a lot of "Soul''. The mere recollection of Koh's dear, loving mother makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and his various girlfriends leave me with many fond memories.

What the heck, Im going to play this game right now :D
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1127979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora, I remember the Lufia series, I've got the two games for the Super Nintendo, though I've never tried the GameBoy games since... well, I don't have a GameBoy. I also agree that Rise of the Sinistrals was much more difficult than Fortress of Doom. I can remember getting stuck for long periods of time on puzzles which were actually quite simple, and I would actually have the right idea but I wouldn't be completing the puzzle properly.

I agree that Final Fantasy VII was somewhat of a transition game, and I believe the hype it receives was due to it being the first Final Fantasy game to not be on a Nintendo console and the beginning of the schism between Nintendo and Square. It also appears that Final Fantasy VII is many people's first Final Fantasy game (or even first RPG game) so that would have a strong influence on the praise it receives. I have noticed that most people who have played most (if not all) of the Final Fantasy games will cite Final Fantasy VI as the best game in the series.

I initially started playing Final Fantasy VII when the PC version was released, and while I enjoyed the game, my initial impression was marred somewhat by the insufficient RAM my computer had at the time. Imagine the game running at half speed (at best) and you'll have an idea of the experience I had. (Summoning and enemy animations were a pain, I tell you.)

Though I haven't completed Final Fantasy VII (not even close) I have to agree with Alseid, it's a good game but was over-rated. Personally, the Final Fantasy game which I will have fondest memories for is Final Fantasy IV, for the reasons stated above (it being my first Final Fantasy game) but I wouldn't consider it the best in the series.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:

I initially started playing Final Fantasy VII when the PC version was released

Same here, I still got it (badly damaged though) in that Xbox of a case containing four cds.

Quote:
Imagine the game running at half speed (at best) and you'll have an idea of the experience I had. (Summoning and enemy animations were a pain, I tell you.)

Damn! Half speed, normally certain limit breakers such as vincents, or certain magics such as kngihts of the round can take up to ten minutes to just execute the move. I haven't completed it, nor have I gone through half of it (I think) I never had the patience and I had suikoden 1 and suikoden 2 copied for me from my cousin (no competition to me) also I recieved chrono cross weeks later and then Legend of mana weeks after that, eventually I forgot about the game...

The game was definately overhyped and didn't meet the expectations of many gamers, especially with that speed.[/quote]
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St.Ajora wrote:
Anyone remember Lufia? The second was much better than the first. It made a lot of people mad though, because the puzzles were killers. Well, to me they are. I'm not good at that stuff.

The puzzles weren't so bad actually. I was more pissed about the whole Dekkar sequence.

St.Ajora wrote:
Super Mario RPG, another one...though that was popular in it's day, but people seem to have forgotten about it.

I would also say that Star Ocean is under rated, as is Valkyrie Profile.

Super Mario is actually still relatively well known, the reason as many people don't play it right now is because it is a SNES game. Star Ocean WAS underrated until the latest hit the shelves and Valkyrie Profile just wasn't advertised enough, just like Suikoden II.

Alseid wrote:
I've been playing it lately, and i must say it IS over rated. It is a good game, yes, but not quite the godly thing most people make it out to be.
The story is good, though poorly executed. Graphics are nothing of the other world, although the scenery is nicely done. But the camera mode makes for incredibly annoying maps. Characters are stereotypical as hell. I mean, just look at Barret... The battle system annoys me, with the whole forced limit breaks thing, among other things. So does the materia system. It's great to be able to customize each char's magics, but do i need to specify Aeris is a healer each damned time she leaves the party and comes back?

I'm playing the game at the moment and I still love it. Some people do push it but for its time it was amazing. The graphics back then were top notch. Compare it with any other game of its time and you'll see. Back then the characters weren't as stereotypical as you say because a whole bunch of games copied the game that shall not be named VII. It would be the same as accusing the Matrix of being stereotypical because all the others copied the slowed motion scenes. The "forced" limit breaks were AMAZING at the time, seeing as before that you had to be almost dead to have a chance of doing a critical hit. It was a new system that I believe went down great although it got improved in the future series. The materia system in my eyes is one of the best systems I've seen in any game that shall not be named along with the system of IX and possibly VI. It is easy to forget that you are now comparing those with games that are capable of much more nowadays and that built of the ideas VII set in the first place.

Elc wrote:
I initially started playing Final Fantasy VII when the PC version was released, and while I enjoyed the game, my initial impression was marred somewhat by the insufficient RAM my computer had at the time. Imagine the game running at half speed (at best) and you'll have an idea of the experience I had. (Summoning and enemy animations were a pain, I tell you.)

LoL!!! So much for the mime of the Knights of the Round. Hahaha. You really needed to be good to actually beat some of the bosses haha, mind you, you had twice as much time to input the commands. Tifa's slots would have been easy hehe.

Elc wrote:
the Final Fantasy game

You aren't talking about the first one? The one with the five crystals and the world being split into four sections (forgot its name now), because I played through that whole game and OMG,.....NEVER AGAIN!

As for underrated games of the century, try Bahamut Lagoon, Front Mission (especially the first) and the entire Romance of Three Kingdoms saga.

Death wrote:
Even Suikoden series are arguably included in this category.

Definately even though I have a feeling that'll soon change with IV because of some people who play games only for the graphics, but oh well, more people for this community.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can list off a bunch of them:
Xenogears and Xenosaga
Final Fantasy Tactics (well, it WAS unheard of until they made the sequal...)
Lunar and Lunar 2 (I actually preferred the second game by A LOT...much better storyline)
Obviously the Suikoden series
Star Ocean 2 (SO3 is selling well, people know about it already)
Valkyrie Profile (I almost died when I heard rumors about a sequal...my God :mrgreen: )
Legend of Legaia was pretty good, with an awesome techno soundtrack, though I haven't played the sequal... :(
Dragon Warrior 7 (longest...game...EVER...I'm 120 hours into it and STILL not done...ugh...but fun though).

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1127979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Fang, you didn't include the entire quote there. It was "Personally, the Final Fantasy game which I will have fondest memories for is Final Fantasy IV." Final Fantasy IV was originally released on the Super NES as Final Fantasy II. It had Cecile the Dark Knight and Kain the Dragoon, with Golbez as the recurring enemy through-out the game. There were three different maps: Overworld, Underworld and Lunar.

I first played it on the Super NES, and even got so far as the final battle against Zeromus before I had to return it to a friend. I didn't beat Zeromus on that ocassion and it took nearly ten years for me to get it as Final Fantasy IV on the PSX. The only game from the main Final Fantasy series which I don't have, is Final Fantasy III (the real Final Fantasy III, not the Super NES version of Final Fantasy VI) since it has yet to be released in English.

Black Fang wrote:
I was more pissed about the whole Dekkar sequence.

Yeah, Dekar has really annoyed the hell out of me as well, but I'm sure he'll get what's coming... oh, damn. Sorry, wrong Dekar! :lol:

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

O that one was good. My favourite too along with VI (Terra/Locke one) and VII.

That one seems somewhat underrated nowadays too now that I think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: