Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Have no nation? Become a mercenary!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with TheNeclord and Jeremy that mercenaries should not have a post announcing who they are hired out to. That would diminish the shock effect of hiring mercenaries and diminish the point of being a mercenary, as well. A merc is a sell-sword who is not supposed to have announced alliances. I think the mercenary subforum is good enough for nations to know which mercenary is active. If we want to know which mercenary is available for our nation's service then we should be responsible for finding that out from the mercenary himself and not have them make it public information.

Lord Dredd, you might have a good idea about a Mercenary Island. I don't know if it should serve as something to fight over or not, but I think having nation leaders go there to request mercenary service is a good idea and adds another aspect to the map.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh, not to make fun of you or anything, but how could we actually go there? These territories are not something that actually exist in real life.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lord Dredd wrote:
I even think SARS should creat an untouchable place on the map for mercs to gather as a sort of bidding ground. So if say 2 nations wanted to hire mercenaries they would travel to the appropriate place to get them. I mean they are not exaxctly beating down doors to be hired so make the leaders come to them.

How exactly would someone "travel" and why when they are only a PM away?

It could be a good idea I'm not bashing the idea in any way I just don't get it.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LOL. Wiseman has a point! That's a question to ponder. How would we get there? Maybe it would only be a place on the map and no one would have to physically travel on the map to get there like we would do during battles. You know, just a place where a mercenary can look on the map and say 'hey, that's where I am or that's where our Mercenary Guild is.' Not for the place to have an actual function, but just an icon for Mercenaries. Hmm...just a thought.

Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got the idea from a book I read and it works like this. Mercenaries don't habe a nation so they cannot be conquered, but they need a place to congregate to offer their services to any nation willing to hire them. It does not have to be a territory, but a neutral area that is governed by strict rules prohibiting fighting of any sort. In this way nation leaders are able to go there and hire any mercenary faction they wish.

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wouldn't that be pretty much what the new merc guild is?

Quote:
A place where mercenaries gather and boast their talents.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I guess it would be that. I think Lord Dredd is suggesting that they just get a place on the actual map so we can say that's where the mercenary guild is. It doesn't have to serve any other purpose than being eye candy of sorts.

Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was the point exactly Revolving Sphere.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm kind of late with the whole discussion, so bear with me for a little bit if you're interesting in my opinion regarding the mercenary subforum. If you're not interested, just skip my post and read the next one. =)

I actually think that the idea to have a mercenary subforum is a good one because mercenaries chose to be mercenaries because either they don't want to be tied down to one nation, or they don't want to represent a certain nation (and not accepted by other nations or couldn't be bothered to apply for another nation), or they simply don't want to socialize with their fellow countrymen (or in other words, chose to be alone like what Nutflush said).

The last reason up there is the least common IMO because we're not under any obligation to socialize with anyone, and hence, if the reason was to be alone, you could simply just chose to not post in the nation board rather than becoming a mercenary. I personally think that it would be more common for someone to choose to be a mercenary for the other 2 reasons.

Having said that, that's why I agree with the creation of the mercenary subforum because it would give a place for them to hang out, while it is still not a compulsory thing for those who want to stay alone. Just remember that mercenaries could stick around together, just like the Kage organization where they are all hired people but stick to one organization.

Now moving on to the idea of something like Mercenary's Island. While I like the idea of such thing, I think it could be used to make the mercenary system even more interesting in the actual war by making it a bit complicated (without going too far). So here is my idea. Keep the Mercenary's Island as the headquarter for all mercenaries, but for the 10 nations, each nation would choose 1 of their towns to have a "mercenary guild", and if that town is captured by another nation, then the first nation would not be able to hire a mercenary until they either recapture that town or get another town with "mercenary guild" from another nation. If you want to make it more interesting, it could be said that the mercenary guild cannot be in the capital city, so now 1 nation could have 2 important towns to protect rather than just 1.

So in short, the Mercenary Island would only serve as eye-candy, while the Mercenary Guilds actually serve a purpose in the war game.

But of course, it's just an idea. =)

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Iceman wrote:
Not cool, Wiseman. In fact, if there's been anything more hypocritical said by any member ever on these forums, I have yet to see it.

Not true my friend. There have been far stupider things said and done in the past. I should know as I made a few of them myself. This issue has been resolved already so I'm hereby asking all Harmonians to drop the issue. When I say "I'm asking" I mean, "If you don't do it, I'll be opening yet another execution thread back in Harmonia with your name attached" :P

Ice Ice Baby wrote:
Not everyone is going to look up the usergroup and see who is a mercenary. You should start a thread each phase and post who gets hired by which nation, just to make it easier for people.

Well one of the main advantages of hiring a mercenary is the surprise factor and as such it wouldn't really be useful if each nation was to say "WE HAVE THIS MERC" and deprive themselves of a clear advantage for which they pay for (heavily in SARSadmin's case).

Ice Cube wrote:
Some people also don't like having a national code of conduct to stick to, and that's just fine, there's still the one for the whole board.

Well the Suikox rules have been put in place for everyone's enjoyment as they ensure that you cannot get harassed by other members. Likewise, I can imagine that all the codes of conduct were made with the members in mind. I've only made one thus far and know that member satisfaction was a key issue with each and every rule made, and that with each law created to bar something, a counter had to be made to make the place more enjoyable and fun. Sometimes however, certain people just don't like the rules no matter how many benefits OR they just wish to be free of any leadership whatsoever and thus the wanderer and mercenary options are always available to such individuals.

Lord Dredd wrote:
I even think SARS should create an untouchable place on the map for mercs to gather as a sort of bidding ground. So if say 2 nations wanted to hire mercenaries they would travel to the appropriate place to get them. I mean they are not exactly beating down doors to be hired so make the leaders come to them.

I'm not too sure another region would serve any purpose really but it does create more work. Mercenaries by nature travel around selling their skills so putting them all in one place would kind of negate the whole point and make them into a sort of a nation. Besides, I'm sure several of the mercenaries like living the life of solitude and would much rather it stay that way.

@ Revolving Sphere: Like I said to Lord Dredd.....I doubt such a place would really serve a good enough purpose to be justified even though further additions to the map would be nice to have.

Lord Dredd wrote:
I got the idea from a book I read and it works like this. Mercenaries don't have a nation so they cannot be conquered, but they need a place to congregate to offer their services to any nation willing to hire them. It does not have to be a territory, but a neutral area that is governed by strict rules prohibiting fighting of any sort. In this way nation leaders are able to go there and hire any mercenary faction they wish.

Well that would kind of work like Flik and Viktor's mercenary fortress in a way but then again it all depends on what the mercs want themselves. Some have left precisely because they can move around and not be stuck in one place.

@ Black Pesmerga: Good think I refreshed before posting heh. Having Mercenary Guild within separate nations is a good idea though. We kind of already had a Harmonian mercenary at one stage because he didn't want to remain under anyone and abide by the code but wished to remain in Harmonia (so there was a special mercenary code drafted at the time). Expanding on the mercenary idea does sound interesting but it does create more work and confusion. Right now I'd say the best idea is to wait a little because for some reason I have a feeling SARS is about to release something big. He hasn't in a while now heh. :mrgreen:
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A Mercanary Island would be a pointless idea as it wouldn't serve any purpose if it cannot be conquered. The subforum does all it needs.

The idea of a Mercanary Guild in each nation that can be conquered and therefore no more Mercs can be hired, but it's one of hundreds of ideas for the war game. So whilst there's no harm in discussing the idea, don't expect anything to be implimented yet as SARS has a lot of plans to bring about first.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fliktor wrote:
A Mercanary Island would be a pointless idea as it wouldn't serve any purpose if it cannot be conquered. The subforum does all it needs.

Well as mentioned before, the Mercenary Island would only be for eye-candy, that's the purpose. Or in other words, it is the only "neutral" place on the world map that would be "conquered" automatically once all the other nations are conquered by one nation.

Another minor purpose that it could serve is for the flash promotion thingy that SARSadmin made. Not sure how often he'd update it (if ever, with the constantly changing territories between nations), but it'd be good too to have the Mercenary Island there, and then showing their stats of how many units there are and all that just like the other nations.

But again, the main purpose would only be for eye candy on the world map.

Fliktor wrote:
The idea of a Mercanary Guild in each nation that can be conquered and therefore no more Mercs can be hired, but it's one of hundreds of ideas for the war game. So whilst there's no harm in discussing the idea, don't expect anything to be implimented yet as SARS has a lot of plans to bring about first.

I'm not expecting it to be implemented immediately or something. I just thought that it might serve as a suggestion to SARSadmin if he has a thought on what to do with mercenaries in the future.

Shadow Puppy wrote:
Having Mercenary Guild within separate nations is a good idea though. We kind of already had a Harmonian mercenary at one stage because he didn't want to remain under anyone and abide by the code but wished to remain in Harmonia (so there was a special mercenary code drafted at the time).

I think you misunderstood my idea. I didn't mean it that the mercenary guild in a sense that Harmonian mercenary guild is different than City-States of Jowston's. It's the same, and it just serves as the way for you to be allowed to hire a mercenary. So if you lose that town, then you cannot hire any mercenary.

Shadow Puppy wrote:
Expanding on the mercenary idea does sound interesting but it does create more work and confusion. Right now I'd say the best idea is to wait a little because for some reason I have a feeling SARS is about to release something big. He hasn't in a while now heh.

As mentioned above, I don't really expect it to be implemented immediately. It's just an idea. =) And I don't think it's going to create too much extra work (maybe just an extra "mercenary guild" symbol on the selected town on the world map), or confusion (it's a simple thing of "if you don't have an area with [mercenary guild] in it, then you can't hire mercenaries").

But yeah, in the end, like I said before, it's just an idea that hopefully could be useful for SARSadmin if he decides to implement something to the mercenaries in the future.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I get what you're saying Black Pesmerga, but as you've said about the Merc Island being eye candy, it would serve no real purpose. If you cannot conquer it like Silver Pirate's Island, as the Merc Fort Island would only be for aesthetics, then I see no real reason for it.

However, it is only a trivial matter to try and create some greater activity I suppose for Mercanaries, but I much prefer your other idea of Mercanary Guilds in each nation.

Also, my comment about the idea not getting implimented wasn't aimed at you, it was just a notion so that everyone knows that even if SARS was to read it and publically it was popular, it may never get done.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I think there aren't many active mercenaries here. Maybe if they have the Mercenary Island (though still only with the public Mercenary subforum), they'd have more motivation to be active because it shows that they are recognized rather than being put behind the screens. So yeah, I think it could work, but in the end, it's not something really important on whether there's a Mercenary Island or not. I just think that you're not going to lose anything by adding it. If any, that might make them more active, which is a positive thing. =)

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I just think that you're not going to lose anything by adding it. If any, that might make them more active, which is a positive thing. =)

True enough my friend.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: