Suikoden United and Illusional Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Have no nation? Become a mercenary!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Have no nation? Become a mercenary! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a few people in this board who do not like to be ruled by a leader, and have chosen to leave their assigned nations. Those people were not able to participate in the nation system. However, starting next phase, members without nations will be able to sell themselvs as mercenaries to nations.

Payment will be done with soldiers, and the price can be set in whatever way the mercenary wishes. However, there is a minimum cost. The minimum cost would be at least 1/20th of the mercenary's soldier count. Thus, a mercenary with a soldier count of 2000 would cost 100 soldiers to hire.

Why would anyone want to hire mercenaries? Some nations have a low number of certain regiments, or have a low number of units with significant numbers of soldiers. At the moment, there are not very many non-nation members who have large amounts of soldiers, but we will probably have more as time goes by. Mercenaries are also a nice trump card to use to suprise enemies.

To become a mercenary, a non-nation member needs to join the "Mercenary" usergroup. This way "Mercenary" will show up in the posts they make, which shows potential clients that you ara available. If you wish to be a mercenary, simply click on "usergroups" above and choose "Mercenary." Then click to join the group.

If you are already a member of a nation, there is no point in joining that usergroup, as you obviously can not be hired. Your nation leader might even punish you for trying to sell yourself to another nation!

Again, this starts next phase, but feel free to join the usergroup and start promoting yourself if you are interested in the mercenary lifestyle.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just a question-- is there a set time when you have to pay the mercenary-- say once a phase? Considering you will most likely only hire the person for a phase, but if you want to hire on a more long-term scale, is there any set 'pay-day', so to speak?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
Just a question-- is there a set time when you have to pay the mercenary-- say once a phase? Considering you will most likely only hire the person for a phase, but if you want to hire on a more long-term scale, is there any set 'pay-day', so to speak?

Once/phase pretty much.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is sure to add another level of unpredictability to the system, since the re-using of victorious units already makes strategizing fairly unpredictable (or it could prove to make things more predictable, only time will tell) but it would be almost impossible to guess who will hire which mercenary.

It's a no-brainer, but seeing as mercenaries would have to follow the same one battle per phase restriction as every other unit, the contracts would be reported to the admins to prevent any abuse to the system. Just in case a mercenary wants to gain a few extra soldiers and tries to hire himself out to two different nations during the same phase. Not trying to imply that anyone here would do such a thing, but with the situation concerning the spies a while back, one can never be too careful.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everything would be regulated. It will be impossible for people to try that sort of "scam." Myself or Synchysi would know one way or another.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So as long as a mercenary unit isn't defeated in battle, it can be re-used again without having to be paid by the client again?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It can be re-used in the same battle as long as they are not defeated. They have to be paid every phase regardless though.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If a nation leader chooses to allow their own members to hire themselves out to other nations is it allowed? Obviously the nation leader would want some kind of benefit to themselves from the hire-ee, but that way I could allow Member X with 10000 soldiers to hire himself out for 3000 and then take 1500 of those soldiers for the national coffers. This fits in with some nations, too, perhaps.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfotunately, as stated above--

Quote:
If you are already a member of a nation, there is no point in joining that usergroup, as you obviously can not be hired. Your nation leader might even punish you for trying to sell yourself to another nation!

This is because if nations can hire out their members, it pretty much destroys the entire nation system--there would be no need for nations if you can hire good units from other nations to fight your wars.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a few questions to SARSadmin/Synchysi regarding the hiring of mercenaries:
1. If one nation hires a mercenary, would that mercenary gain access to the nation's forum (even only for that particular phase)?
2. Can a mercenary freely sell themselves to different nations every phase? Meaning that on phase 3 working for nation A, then on phase 4 working for nation B (despite nation A trying to hire the mercenary again).
3. Do mercenaries have any (dis)advantage compared to normal units on the battle? Like how Nation Leader deals double damage and Royal Guard has double defense.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Question: Can you pay mercenaries, but then not use them, just so they can't be used by the other nations?

P.S.When was it revealed that the Nation Leader does double damage?
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would mercs potentially have their own forum? Obviously they'd rather not have a leader as that's half the reason they became wanderers anyway. But I'd figure things could get out of hand without a mod to watch over them. But again, I could see benefits from the mercs point of view, to have a board where they can discuss any issues or what not with other, fellow, mercs.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm against a private forum for mercenaries. They are not supposed to form some sort of pseudo-nation, which would make the lifestyle of a mercenary too attractive. We don't want too many nation members to leave their homelands in favour of becoming a hired sword, after all.

Last edited by iscalio on Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good point, I never really thought about it like that. But if it does become open a forum, it need not be private to the rest of the members on the board; that way, people would get to know who is a merc, how many soldiers they have, and such. But again, I'm assuming we can all just look in the usergroups ^_^

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg wrote:
I have a few questions to SARSadmin/Synchysi regarding the hiring of mercenaries:
1. If one nation hires a mercenary, would that mercenary gain access to the nation's forum (even only for that particular phase)?
2. Can a mercenary freely sell themselves to different nations every phase? Meaning that on phase 3 working for nation A, then on phase 4 working for nation B (despite nation A trying to hire the mercenary again).
3. Do mercenaries have any (dis)advantage compared to normal units on the battle? Like how Nation Leader deals double damage and Royal Guard has double defense.

1. No. The mercenary would just be usable in battle; they'll never be able to see a nation's forum unless a leader inducts them into a nation as a permanent member.
2. Yes, depending on the agreement. Mercenaries may sell themselves to any nation they want during subsequent phases, but they can only work for one nation each phase.
3. No, mercenaries are normal battle units, like most members of a nation.

RandomGuy wrote:
Question: Can you pay mercenaries, but then not use them, just so they can't be used by the other nations?

P.S.When was it revealed that the Nation Leader does double damage?

Theoretically, you could. Again, it's up to the mercenary and the nation leader to work out the details of the agreement, so if the mercenary agrees to that, we'll have no issue with it.

And nation leaders have done double damage since day one.

Fliktor wrote:
Would mercs potentially have their own forum? Obviously they'd rather not have a leader as that's half the reason they became wanderers anyway. But I'd figure things could get out of hand without a mod to watch over them. But again, I could see benefits from the mercs point of view, to have a board where they can discuss any issues or what not with other, fellow, mercs.

No, mercenaries will not get their own forum. Any discussions they wish to have amongst themselves over the boards will have to be public.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: