Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Have no nation? Become a mercenary!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're your own master but I bet it gets darn lonely eventually traveling those vast plains and mountains alone. :wink:

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Vextor

11328371 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, after a while, other people start to talk inside your head and will keep you company at all times.
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've noticed... luckly I'm a master of vantrilaqizem so I keep the mind occupied
RaiKaGE05

ELiTE SHiNoBi WaRRioRS

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmmm. being a mercenary can be even better than a member of a certain nation. if you're client wins, you'll be rewarded, but if you lose, you can always leave and go to a different one, not a bad plan indeed.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being a mercenary sounds appealing. But then again, I quite like Highland and most everyone there, and I'd doubt there's a nice amicable way of leaving. I just have a 'thing' about being ruled. Also, my stats and troops type aren't really good enough (I mean, Infantry are horribly common) to make me an attractive merc option.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't imagine being a Mercenary being very fun at all. Almost my entire enjoyment of this forum stems from the battle system, and being able to participate directly. Even when I first joined, I could put in my two cents on what our nation did, and I thought that was incredibly cool. When you're a mercenary, you have no national forum to call your own. The Grasslands is a community that I do not want to give up. At worst, if I ever left, it would be for another nation, not to give up the nations altogether. The most choice you have as a mercenary is who you work for, but is that really a choice at all? I mean, you still don't get to -participate.-

I dunno. I just prefer being a Grasslander, I guess.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm with Harukaze, I haven't been here long but I like the interaction of the nation's system, keeps me occupied and it's a good way to get yourself involved in the forum as a whole, without it I probably wouldn't post as much outside it, I just feel more a part of this forum thanks to the fact I've befriended my nationals.

But that's just me and to each their own!

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I definitely agree with you guys, I dunno what I'd do without my nation. I can't imagine being a mercenary, but it takes all kinds I guess.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the appeal of being a mercenary for me is that it fits my personality type. I usually lurk around the forums and only post when something really interests me or i am in a wierd mood. I really don't think i would be that active in a nation's board if i had one because that is not the kind of person i am. I can on the other hand see the benifits of belonging to a nation and the friendships that develop as a result.
As soon as i saw the mercenary option i was instantly drawn to it. I have not regretted my decision even once and i enjoy moving from nation to nation seeking employment. The mercenary title is not for everyone and i respect that, but i find it enjoyable and exciting. It fits me perfectly.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of your points, I am very willing to grant you. I do disagree with a few things, though.
Shadow Wolf wrote:
Those that get kicked out of a nation and want entrance into other nations are classified as wanderers. Those that want a life of solitude are known as mercenaries.
Let me start with this one, since unless I'm missing something big, it's incorrect. Anyone who is without a nation is a Wanderer. Let's take unknown as an example. He chose to leave his nation for whatever reason; I'm guessing that he wasn't kicked out, but it actually doesn't matter. If you have no nation, the system defaults to the basic title system: no matter how many posts you have, you're a Wanderer. Unless you're in one of the ten nations, are a Mercenary, or are of the Blue Moon Village, you're a Wanderer. It has nothing to do with whether you were kicked out or chose to leave. Likewise, after you've chosen to leave, that doesn't automagically make you a Mercenary. You have to petition. Then, and only then, are you a Mercenary. I am -sure- there are a fair number of Wanderers who are such because they just don't want to participate.

Also, I don't think a lot of nations will just fork over the 10K soldiers for someone to join. Most members won't -ever- make that up, and some nations just can't afford the cost of entry. It would be a huge setback for some nations to shell out the full cost. The member has to be active enough that he can earn/inspire [in other words, not just soldiers he himself earns, but also soldiers earned because activity inspires activity] that kind of activity, or a nation is going to be hurting. Once, sure, fine, maybe. But what about the second person who asks? Or the third? And so on. And while you might argue - rightfully so - that there aren't that many people banging on anyone's door right now, I'm also talking about long term. This site will, I hope, be around for a very long time, and even down the line, I expect that 10,000 soldiers is going to be nothing to scoff at.

And, well, finally... I just don't see how it matters if mercenaries get higher soldier counts. You yourself just said the soldier counts don't matter, didn't you? No mercenary is ever going to be a part of something that actually controls territory on the map. No mercenary is ever going to be able to say, "Hey, you know, I think we should attack that territory there, because the enemy won't see it coming." They won't be able to say, "Hey, you know, this war isn't getting us anywhere. Maybe we should consider a truce. What do you guys think?" Therein lies the difference. Sure, decisions like that fall to the National Leader and any delegates; but I'm willing to guess that some or even most nations encourage input from their members. Why not be a mercenary, you ask? Because you lose everything that being a part of a nation entails. Mercenaries could have soldiers in the hundreds of thousands, and I know I'll still never leave the Grasslands - and if, God forbid, I ever decide to, it'll be to leave for another nation instead.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1129479 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree that Wiseman's comment was out of line, but such issues should really be kept to PMs. I know it's difficult not to make a response, but it really serves to do nothing but escalate a potential argument.

I know next to nothing about the Mercenary subforum with the exception of what has been posted there, which is currently just a call for active mercenaries to identify themselves. While it's easy enough to get that information, as has been mentioned, one has to view the profile of each member of the mercenary group to find it. While it isn't such a big deal now with a small number of mercenaries, but should the number of mercenaries grow to nation proportions (60+) then it is certainly helpful for active mercenaries to identify themselves.

Plus, it's a lot easier to negotiate with and hire a mercenary if they are active and can actually respond and accept employment. Seeing as how I haven't paid too much attention to the mercenary system, I'm not entirely sure if, in the case of an inactive member, a mercenary can be hired without their acceptance.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

You mean if a prominent general tried to take advantage of you, right?

Anything for the Queendom... :lol:

And I definitely think that this subforum is a wonderful idea so we can figure out which merc is active. I believe that a merc can't be used if they don't respond to a request, though. But, we all know which mercenaries are used most on this forum. I think with this forum we can get a better idea of which mercenary to use. Like I said, now they have a face for nations who are willing to hire them.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, what you and I said are not at all the same thing.
Shadow Wolf wrote:

Those that get kicked out of a nation and want entrance into other nations are classified as wanderers. Those that want a life of solitude are known as mercenaries. They are either barred from entering a nation due to being an admin :mrgreen: or they wish to live the life of a lone wolf hiring their sword and their skills to the highest bidder. Even though some might not like it, it is rather an appealing position to many.
This is what you said. I believe it to be incorrect. You said that those who are kicked out of a nation and want entrance into another are Wanderers. True, but a half truth. More than these types of people are Wanderers. You then say that those who want the life of solitude are mercenaries. Not true. As I said, individuals may turn to being a mercenary in order to get into a new nation. You cannot dispute that as a possibility. Thus, what we said are not the same things at all.

EDIT: Jeremy, you're right: a mercenary needs to agree to fight for a specific nation and accept an agreed upon payment. Say I go merc and vanish. Well, I wouldn't want my unit to be used by an enemy nation; I'd only want to be used by nations I like. Well, if mercenaries could be hired while inactive, what's to stop, say, Harmonia from depositing soldiers in my account and claiming my service? Moreover, some mercenaries can begin bidding wars for their services, and thus need to be there to adjucate the results.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Hot Ice wrote:
You should start a thread each phase and post who gets hired by which nation, just to make it easier for people.

No, you shouldn't.

A merc is a hired sword, mercenaries fight for money (or in this case soldiers). It should be the decision of their employer wether or not to let anyone be aware for who they are under contract.

A thread to announce when a merc has accepted a deal sure, that would be a good idea. but not one where it would give away sensitive knowledge as to the idenity of their employer.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also feel that having a subforum for mercenaries is a great idea. Why should they be punished in any way because they are not affiliated with a nation. I even think SARS should creat an untouchable place on the map for mercs to gather as a sort of bidding ground. So if say 2 nations wanted to hire mercenaries they would travel to the appropriate place to get them. I mean they are not exaxctly beating down doors to be hired so make the leaders come to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: