Suikoden Unique and Infamous Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Have no nation? Become a mercenary!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg wrote:

1. Is there any set time for a nation to approach and try to hire a mercenary (like transfer window in sports)? For example, we just started phase 3 (let's say a battle has its first round only so far), can we already try to hire a mercenary for phase 4 or must we finish phase 3 first?

Nope, you can arrange contracts with mercenaries in whatever way you want and however long in advance, although if things don't work out or if the mercenary decides to break the contract and ends up taking your money, it would be your loss. For example, if you pay a merc 1000 soldiers for 4 phases of service, ther merc can still abandon that contract if some other nation offers more money. Of course, a merc that does that sort of thing won't be liked, but if there is high demand for that particular merc, it may not matter. Some mercs may refuse to be "reserved" in advance, while some may want their schedule lined up. There's a lot of freedom there.

Quote:

2. It's mentioned that mostly anything is up to the mercenary themselves wether to take an offer or not. But could a nation hire a mercenary for more than 1 phase with 1 discussion between the nation and mercenary? Meaning that the nation hires the mercenary on phase 3, but for the service on both phase 4 and 5 (of course pay twice at the said time).

I guess I already answered to that in my post above, so yes it depends on the merc.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg wrote:
Well the point remains that you could get 20,000 soldiers by paying 1,000 soldiers only.

Except that most people would be willing to pay more, and where there's a willingness to give, there's a willingness to accept. With a small amount of mercenaries available, hiring any mercenary would become a bidding war. You probably aren't going to see soldier-heavy mercs willing to settle for 1/20th their soldier count until there's an overabundance of them. Until then, I'd expect to pay at least a third, if not half, or even more for good merc units. Especially if its an in-demand unit like magicians. Infantry would be cheaper.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well so far there seem to be more of those who think that mercenaries aren't as useful as their own nation members (nation pride or whatever) and I'm the only one who seems to think that hiring mercenaries are useful. So yeah, unless you and other nation leaders start to think that hiring mercenaries are useful and willing to pay more, then I don't see any problem at all.

And judging by freedom of the discussion between mercenaries and nations, it's just easy to keep the price low as well. The mercenary would not know how many nations wanted to hire him, so obviously he most likely wouldn't just reject an offer based on "might receive better offer tomorrow", the very same offer that might never come. And if a mercenary already accepted a nation's offer and then breaking the agreement by joining another nation that is willing to pay more, then the mercenary wouldn't be liked much. Hence, dropping his value by many many soldiers. Who would want to hire a backstabber mercenary? No one.

So an agreement between mercenary and a nation would be very important in determining the mercenary value. Also, seeing that it would be the first time that we have mercenaries, people might hesitate to pay "too much" for something that wouldn't really guarantee victory. Seriously speaking, if you're offered a new product, would you be willing to pay *that* much at once? No, you won't. You'd most likely be willing to pay small amount of money or wait to see how the new product is doing after a while. With that said, the price of mercenaries would be quite low.

But of course, if you're willing to pay 1/3 or even 1/2 of the mercenary soldiers, I admit defeat and feel free to hire them. I'm not going to even bother trying to outbid that kind of offer.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If a nation hired a mercenary, could the nation leader choose him/her to do the duel? Or are they only used for the main battles?

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked out the other thread. Seems SARSadmin and synchysi need to still flesh that part out.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

can mercs make threads for nation leaders to bid for their services?
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no; the interested leader will contact the merc of choice...making a thread wastes space and announces a transaction they may want to keep private.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Steven Segal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hi! I'm new here and I hope that we can all get along! n_n
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm glad you're new here, Aenea, I hope you enjoy this place. This isn't exactly the best topic to make your entrance in though, try the "Community Forum" and the New Users topic...

Oh, and your avatar's a bit screwed up, you might want to fix that...

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Steven Segal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry :oops: I was rushing to class. I already fixed it n_n
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm now a merc.....please contact me if you wish for my services..... that is all.....
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No you're not. Not until you apply for being a merc and I approve it.
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well then.... were do i sign up?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At the top of every page in the forum, there is a link that says "usergroups." Click on that. Then, in the pulldown menu, select "mercenary." Once there, push "join this group" or whatever it says.
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

did and done.. heh I should look at my inbox more often heh
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, you are now a merc. Welcome to a life of high adventure, where you are your own master.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: