Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Have no nation? Become a mercenary!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilika

Uncle Jowy's Army

32500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moody Mage, do not tell me you are thinking about leaving?
A little bit of subject but how are secret usergroups created and how many of them are out there?
I think that biding would make it io expensive, since a merc could say he has a better offer and make you pay more.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So it is possible for a member of a nation to quit his nation if he wants and then become a mercenary?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, members are able to quit a nation whenever they want, but if they do that, they'll probably have a very hard time joining one again. It's a pretty huge breach of trust.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It also means losing your soldiers, IIRC (if you quit the unofficial way) and being severed from a group - Your nation leader wouldn't hand you soldiers anymore, as you'd obviously "jumped ship". Even if you think the mercenaries are cool, you'll actually have less chance of being used in the system if you're a mercenary, as you'll be pay for play. I think right now most leader are going to focus on strengthening their own units - it doesn't make sense to pay for something you can get for free. It'll be used, but probably not as much as say, a nation's own members.

Besides, I think it's more fun to see members of my own nation fight for our country, rather than hired thugs. Which is not to say that those mercenaries wouldn't be valuable, but they'd be of lesser value than seeing, say, one of my fellow falenians manage a hard-fought victory.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You called me a hired thug!! *sulks*
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A hired thug that everyone will be begging to hire, just you watch, SARS. ^^

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't exactly classify the administrators as mere hired thugs, not at all. Since it would hardly be fair for either SARSadmin or Synchysi to align with one specific nation, since they have access to all the forums around here, this finally allows them the opportunity to participate in the battles. However, since wanderers are people who have turned away from the nation system, it's reasonable to classify them as the hired thugs. They could help nation-x win a battle over nation-y in one phase, and in the next help nation-z win a battle over nation-x. No loyalty involved, just money.

Sophita, I support and share your position entirely. I would much rather have a Falenian bring glory to the Queendom than spend x-amount of soldiers to hire a one-time player. When distributed amongst the Falenian units; those soldiers will, barring any need to deduct them later, come into play in any subsequent battles those units participate in, unlike a mercenary who will just thank you for the soldier payment and put themselves back up for hire to any interested nation.

The only real advantage I see to the mercenaries, aside from filling up any gaps in defense, is the unpredictability factor. You can surprise an opposing army by utilizing a mercenary but, should the nation wish to make a "long term" arrangement should the mercenary prove effective, as suggested earlier in the thread, the surprise factor would be less effective during the following phases... particularly if the mercenary in question was always unavailable to other nations.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
You called me a hired thug!! *sulks*

Well, if I had said "hired help", it would have sounded like you were running a nanny or maid service or what not. Considering mercs are primarily hired to beat people up....I thought thug was a bit appropriate.

But if it hurt your feelings, I apologize.

And I'm not saying mercs aren't useful; they are. I'm just saying I think it's more worthwhile to spend my money among my kingdom's units; if there is a need for a merc, then we'll utilize one, but I'm not going to hire one just because a merc unit is stronger than one of my units; I'll invest strength in my own party rather than an independent one, especially when an independant merc can be used against me. (Which is not to say that I would never hire one - I just might. It's simply to say I think investing in one's own party is far more wise in the long run than investing in a merc.)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Sophita on using your own nation's soldiers rather than a mercenary. Donating soldiers not only strengthens your nation's members for 1 phase but for the remainder of their account membership, whereas donating soldiers to hire a merc may be effective in 1 specific phase, but then he wouldn't be a part of your nation anymore. Not only that, the soldiers you've donated could be used against you in the following turns by an opposing nation.

I'd also rather see members of my own nation bringing victory to my nation rather than mercenaries. Especially one who'd be bigheaded and go around the boards saying "If it weren't for me, Zexen wouldn't stand a chance against Falena, I tell you!!!" That kind of behaviour would just be downright irritating. But if a member of my nation were to be bragging about it, it'd be more or less because he's saved his country as a hero.
Baka

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But mercenary is cool too :D I mean they are wandering from one place to another. I mean for people who loves freedom... it's just the perfect choice :lol:

Well for some people who disagree SARSadmin as mercenary since he can goes in and out of other nation... why dont you discuss the war using other method such as PMs or emails... maybe more unconvenient but at least it kept your secret hidden :lol:

Ah... Cheer up SARSadmin, like what Ced had said... maybe one day... all nation leader will come to you and beg for you to join them :lol:
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There won't be any problem if I have access to all nation's boards. As a mercenary, I have no say over actual strategy--I merely represent my soldier count.
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Moody Mage, do not tell me you are thinking about leaving

Nah, of course not, I was just curious. I just wanted to make make sure that if I did accidently click the join group button for the mercenaries that I wouldn't be instantly booted out of the Highland Nation.

The whole point for most people in this forum is to participate within the disscussions and topics, for me the best are located within the Highland Kingdom. I can't really see many people willingly giving all that up just to become a mercenary.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually think that hiring a mercenary would be very useful. I mean, come on, people. The cost is only 1/20 of the soldiers hired. If you pay 1,000 soldiers, you get yourself a unit with 20,000 soldiers (though no mercenary has that many soldiers just yet). At a very small cost of 500 soldiers, you would get a unit of 10,000 soldiers already. That's big big big. That could turn a losing battle into a very winnable one.

While it's true that we only get the service of that mercenary for 1 guaranteed phase, it's still a beneficial thing to do if you choose to do it. And if you managed to sort of "bond" with the mercenary, you might even have that person to join your nation as well (with the exception of the admins that is). So it's not always a short-term goal, but might be beneficial for a long-term as well.

Oh I have two more questions about hiring mercenaries:
1. Is there any set time for a nation to approach and try to hire a mercenary (like transfer window in sports)? For example, we just started phase 3 (let's say a battle has its first round only so far), can we already try to hire a mercenary for phase 4 or must we finish phase 3 first?
2. It's mentioned that mostly anything is up to the mercenary themselves wether to take an offer or not. But could a nation hire a mercenary for more than 1 phase with 1 discussion between the nation and mercenary? Meaning that the nation hires the mercenary on phase 3, but for the service on both phase 4 and 5 (of course pay twice at the said time).

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The cost is only 1/20 of the soldiers hired. If you pay 1,000 soldiers, you get yourself a unit with 20,000 soldiers (though no mercenary has that many soldiers just yet).

Actually that is the minimum cost to hire a mercenary unit. The real cost could be far higher depending upon circumstances at that time.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the point remains that you could get 20,000 soldiers by paying 1,000 soldiers only.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: