Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What made you love Suikoden..??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riou the Traitor

1338 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: What made you love Suikoden..?? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think, i loved suikoden esp. 2 because of all the fools that let me get away with so much.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True that 'the_protagonist', the storyline of each Suikoden has thus far been ground breaking and highly interesting due to the emotion involved in separate occassions and the overall plot which twists around every corner with something new...

Also the battle system is supremely good, on all sides of the different battle methods. The war battles are great and unique with each new Suikoden, the duels are perfect in each new installment also. And for the random battles the Six person party helped out alot (except for Suikoden 3, but that's another story) and the boss battles were great, with each new boss being quite powerful and requiring a good bit of strategy to defeat (Melee attacking, healing and magically attacking).

And gathering the 108 stars in each Suikoden is fun and a challenge of a goal to complete. And I won't forget to mention the great music thats plays differently in each new town and forest etc (Suikoden 1 and 2 mostly I am talking about)

Put all these great combinations together and you will have my basic likeness towards the Suikoden game series. Of coarse I will save the best till last, (sorry secong best, story always comes first) the Rune Magic system, well and the True Rune story and aspect...
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just generally love RPGs, ever since I played Final Fantasy IV (then II on the SNES) and Lufia & the Fortress of Doom (also for the SNES,) though at that time I didn't have the money to buy many games, so my RPG exposure was somewhat... lacking.

Something about Suikoden was just special, the 108 Stars of Destiny certainly gave the game a lot of party customization, since in most (previous) RPGs you're stuck with a three or four member party, often unable to change the members. So, with the Suikoden series, you can choose between your favourite usable characters, and barring any characters being forced upon you, you can use whichever party combination you wish.

It's not often in an RPG that you have three different battle systems (though Suikoden III somewhat clipped that down to two) which you must utilize. When Suikoden III changed the mechanics for the major battles so the battle was just like a mini-boss battle, it took a little bit away from the feel, though being able to actually control the characters was nice, instead of seeing an army of sprites rush the enemy sprites doing little to no damage, while the enemy sprites decimate your unit.

As Traz mentioned, the emotional moments the games provide are also a high point. I honestly can't remember too much about Suikoden III in that regard, with the exception of fond recollections upon seeing references to the first two games, but there were numerous moments in Suikoden and Suikoden II which were really effective. It does, of course, have an effect if you care about the characters involved as to whether the emotion you feel is happiness or sadness, but either way the game succeeds on that level.

I'm also glad Suikoden isn't loaded with lengthy cutscenes every six steps or so (highly exaggerated, yes, and not a slam on Final Fantasy, I also love that series, but it can be dull just watching a game for lengthy periods.)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Story of course is the reason why I love the Suikoden series. Then comes the memorable moments such as when Tir fought his father and Ted commanding the Soul Eater to devour his soul. The battle systems were definatly good, although Suikoden III could of had more 1 on 1 battles. All in all I enjoyed the whole package.
suikoguild

Magicians With Attitude

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I generally like RPG games. Suikoden just stand out of the pact because if it's intense and thrilling storyline! The fact that we can recurit 108+ character is unimaginable until Suikoden! What capture me to the game is the first Suikoden ! :shock: THe second one just made it more compelling because of it's deep story and etc. . .

Trumpeter Ducks

2462 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked suikoden due to it's uniquness in recruiting stars of destiny and the challenge of getting them all. I also love the storylines and the characters.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 2 was the first RPG i played and it really blew my mind with the unique design of the game and the emotional and well thought out story lines.It's very groundbreaking and the Suikoden series will probably always be my favorite
OrangeWarrior

Piercing Rain

253189 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like most all RPGs and the middle ages really interest me. So in combining these two almost prefectly(Treason, army battles, ect) was just great. Not to mention all the things that makes the first three so unique: 108 stars, six-character party, HQ system, duels, ect.. And one can never forget the interesting and emotional stories that go with them all.
Riou the Traitor

1338 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i know this may sound..errr...a little...errr...weird..
when i finished suikoden 2,i cant help it but to cry...that I got away with all that murder and mayhem!
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think most people will agree that Suikoden's main attraction has to do with characters.

In a normal RPG, we would gather less than a score of characters. Usually. None of the FF games had even 20, most being 14 in FFVI.

But having 100+ characters....that's huge! And the fact that about two-thirds of them are fighting characters (~70+)....WOW! hwo could you NOT love having that many characters!

Once i was playing it, i found out more that there's more to Suikoden than the 108 Stars of Destiny. It's about war! More war than it is about the 108 stars of destiny, or the True Runes.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flame Champion Viktor

89609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

THE CHARACTERS ROCK!!!
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah..damn where nanami got shot and died i was shocked crazyly..i mean people could call RPG Gamers Lunatics because they feel for the Characters sometimes..btu its actually all a fairy tell..not acutally..it IS a fairy tails and fairy tails can be very touching...where i saw the scene with nanami my body was like petrified lol i couldnt move at all i as just so shocked and my face feeled like the day i jumped down the 5meter high outdoor pool jump thingy and landed on my face LOL

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love suikoden because the deep background of the people and the superbly planned mystery, which gives more background to the game. If you ever played lots and lots of games, you will find that most of the time, there will be countless mystery at the beginning but in the end... the whole of mystery will be solved. Except of course for some games that is still "to be continued".

In any case, the events in the game also played with our emotion. For example is in suikoden II, HeroII (Riou) must fight againts his own best friend, Jowy. This made people thinks conciously or unconciously about the feeling of Riou at that moment. Another example is in Suikoden I, HeroI (Tir) had to fight and kill his own father. Well, think about your own feeling when you have to kill your OWN parents. Not to exclude Suikoden III, Chris could only meet Wyatt, her own father, when Wyatt's life nearly end. It's sad when you think it carefully. She had not met him for such a long time and yet, when at last she could see him... It's only at his final moment.

Another thing is the ending. Well, we all want to know what happened to our favourite character and all. Which we also know that the ending in suikoden series als vary depends on the choices we made in the game. Like in Suikoden I, we could either choose to kill the general or not. When you choose to do so or when you choose not to, the ending change.

Sorry for blabbering too much. :oops:
Satyr2

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree with the people who came before me. The game has alot of emotion and the fact that you can recruit 108 characters is great. But I know that one of the major reasons why i liked it so much was because it just seemed more real. Alot of the other rpgs I played were always the whole 'good' vs 'bad'. I got tired of that, this game actually had more depth to the reasoning of the characters. Thats why this series stuck with me.
Stormbringer

Astramaniacs

158943 Potch
225 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Deep story,engaging gameplay...yeah all that stuff.

What I really loved was how diverse they made the characters. You got your mercenaries, ninjas, narcissists, man-eating zombies...okay maybe not the zombies, but you guys get the picture :P
The customization in the game was great, and the musical score was just _awesome_, I especially liked the music from the Dragon Knights fortress in the first one.
And let's not forget that pyromaniac 'demon' Yuber. Mmmm....Yuber, he carried the whole series for me :mrgreen:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: