Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: A Case for Salome Haras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Editorial: A Case for Salome Haras Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article URL--
http://www.suikox.com/ed/salome40228.html

Please discuss the article here. I am interested in feedback, especially regarding the following points--

1. Do you like to see more articles like this that talks about one character?

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

3. Did the article change your perception of Salome? Why/why not?

Last edited by Vextor on Mon May 17, 2004 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally really loved the article on Salome. It was quite nice to see an often ignored character get his change in the spotlight, especially one as important to S3'
s storyline as Salome!

Yes, most definately. I like the spotlights on the notable players of the Suikoden world - even if they aren't popular and don't get a lot of attention. I think this one and the one on Makai are my favorite of the editorials, so far.

I liked just about everything about it, honestly. In specific: I like how you pointed out his skill, his importance to the plot, how he fits in with the knights, and how useful a character he is, as both a fighter and a strategist.

The only thing I disliked was the occasional spelling errors. Nothing big, just a minor bug that disrupted reading a bit. I do completely understand why you have them there, though.

No, but only because I thought the same thing of Salome before. Had I not...I think I would have found it convincing.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It did change my perception in the fact that salome knows a whole hell of a lot then he lets on. I know u figure this out in s3 but they way u wove the threads togethor blew my mind. I guess its just something you have to put words too. The one line about him engineering a coup d'tete against his government, i forgot how u phrased it but it just made him sound .....more elusive i guess.

But i was amazed to find out that salome is actulary a good magic user, apparently hes something like the 3rd best MAge in the entire game. And he i was always throwing him to the side. (well i still and will continue to do so but still.....)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pac

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. I love the fact that so many of the characters in the Suikoden series have such detailed backstories and plotlines. You might not realize this when you're playing the game, but if you think about it afterwards you find that so many of the characters are so deep. Salome's article was very well written, and it was interesting to read about what motivated him and why he made the choices he did. That said, there should definitely be more articles about certain individuals. My suggestions are Albert, Joker and Sgt. Joe.

I liked some of the humor. For example, the fact that you called him bowl-haired gave me a good laugh. The article was well written, but I would have given more focus on his enitre life and career (whatever info is available) to round the story out.

It made me think about the reasons for his actions. I always liked his character, because he was level headed compared to the other Zexens, and that alone made him unique. The article served to deepen my understanding of his character, which is always a plus.
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved that editorial, actually. I'm not a fan of Salome at all, really, and am one of those annoying Silverberg-brothers fans, so I was laughing quite hard at some points.

1. Yes, especially when they're overlooked or their story is completely overshadowed in the game. It's nice to hear another point of view, especially since he's a character I would have never given a second glance towards.

2. The blatant Silverberg bashing.

3. Yeah, I suppose I do give him a bit more credit now, although I still wouldn't bring him into the final battle with me. What can I say.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Salome Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would, I like getting more info on charcters

I think it was pretty good in general.

No, not really, but I do think he's a supercilious and underrated character. (lol, just for my magic word of the week)

(Sorry for the very uninformative reply ^_\\)
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see how Salome is supercilious at all. In fact, he is almost totally the opposite.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Salome is one of those quiet but important characters that you don't really realize is important until you step back and look at the big picture. He doesn't often steal the scene the way more flashy characters like Caesar do.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Leo

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Articlee was good, though it has been a while since Suikoden III, but I do recall Salome being important, though I don't think he was a great stratigist, I think he knows people.

It changed me into thinking that he was quite important and compasionite, but that's all, nothing like thinking he was brilliant.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I enjoy the articles about individual characters and can't wait to read more. I like the way the article gives some more background on Salome and his motives, and states that he is a student of strategy not really linked to the Silverburgs. This article gave me a greater respect for Salomes character.

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You did it again man.

1. - I would love to see more articles delving into the people of the Suikoden world. Salome even moreso. Salome was a very cool character in Suikoden 3, probably one of my favourites. That just reinforced my like.

You did say one thing that kinda of....well this is what you said

"However, the greatest accomplishment of Salome is to let Chris escape for her "finding herself journey" while he conducted a throuogh, ruthless coup de tat. This is only shown in the Suikoden 3 manga, but Salome lets Chris leave because he didn't want Chris to have to go through the risk of being labaled a traitor. He leads the other knights to arrest Harmonian sympathizers within the Zexen Council, such as Durabum and Rouma. After that, he methodically prepares Zexen troops at the Brass Castle, knowing that the Grasslanders will lose against the Harmonians."

Correct me if I'm wrong (I played SUikoden 3 when it came out, and I haven't played it again, so I'm rusty). Was that not the party of the game in which Chris ran away with Nash??? I do remember that part of the game well for various reasons (It was touching, it had Chris in it, it had Nash in it, It had Salome in it).

Of course, I'm bringing this to attention because you said it was only in the manga. However, as I type this, I can see where I'm making my mistake. The one part (Letting her leave) was shown in the game as opposed to everything (Coup be tat, and all that crap. Busting of the Council members).

Other then that, it was perfect. Except you misspelt thorough. ^_^

What didn't I like? Well, You made it sound like you loath the Silverberg name and everything that follows. Since I know you don't....it passes. Besides, if you're gunna write an article, you did it the way you were supposed to. So good job again.

Third....(Scrolls up)....Ah yes.I always liked Salome, as I previously stated. Clearly your article reinforced my like for him. You've done that more then once for me, so thank you again.
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah. Anything that creates more character depth is always appreciated. Although I can imagine you have a full enough plate as is.

What did I like/dislike about your opinion of Salome or structure of the article? I'm mean, your opinion is your opinion(helpful I know), and your knowledge of editorial structure is beyond mine. So, I thought it was all good.

Slightly, on points of comparision between Salome and the Silverbergs that I never pondered before. Out of all the strategists, Salome seems the most human, and not just someone pulling everybody's strings and having no real friends. He has his fellow knights and the trust they endow him with.

Side note: I couldn't find a link anywhere on your site(by no means have I searched it all) to the editorials page. http://www.suikox.com/ed/
I got there by deleting salome40228.html from Salome's editorial page.
Just curious where it might be or if there even is one.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The link is located at the [more] portion of the editorial blurb in the index.html
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Editorial: A Case for Salome Haras Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure, as long as there's enough material to make it interesting.

I've always loved Salome, I guess it's because I think like him. He's smart, strong, politically astute, and ruthless when he must be. I think it's great you brought attention to him. Plus, the Silverberg bashing ruled. They're so overrated and overused it sickens me.

Like I said, I've always had a soft spot for the poor guy. However, I didn't know him in as much detail as you have shown, so it was very useful.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
mergle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. It's always interesting to see how other people percieve characters; reading a full analysis of the role a less-visable character plays is always interesting.

It's about Salome - what's not to like? ^_^
Okay, fangirlish squealings of glee aside, I thought it was well-written and covered a number of important points.
The main thing missing that I would've like to have seen is a mention of how much or little he knew in advance about Jimba/Wyatt and the three focal true runes. Did he know he was sending Wyatt's daughter off on a semi-destined journey that would lead to the True Fire Rune? Or was his focus entirly on the political and military situation at that point?

Not really; I went from "hmm... this guy seems kind of suspicious" when I started the game, to being one of those rare(?) Salome fangirls long before I ran across this editorial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: