Suikoden Unique and Illusional Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Computer Chips in the Brain
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Computer Chips in the Brain Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Technology is really something. VeriChip Corporation is a company trying to push implanting computer chips in the brains of infants. Their sole purpose for doing so is to prevent cases like kidnapping in the future. But success in the experiment could lead to the chips functioning in everyday life. For example, they have the potential to plant specific chips in the brain to prevent human access in restricted areas.

Currently, this technology is limited and obviously not mandatory, but you never know when these things could get mainstream. Many people are in demand for new ideas that simplify life. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on what your stance is) this doesn't seem anywhere close to being fully implemented on an experiment basis.

What are everyone's thoughts about this? Do you think this can be of use? Or do you think that someone out there will just take advantage of the concept.

To tell you the truth, this doesn't really sit well with me, but I'll let you all have the first word.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In a purely sci-fi way, I'd be scared I was going to get turned into a mindless zombie. If they can stop people accessing certain parts of the brain, then surely they can use it to send message to other parts of the brain. The plan is for it to act like a beacon when someone is kidnapped, so there's security problems right there with people getting illegal "radars" so they can find people who are hiding from them (like spouses hiding from abusive partners, or people hiding from criminals).

Considering the level of hacking technology on the internet, I would never trust something like this (maybe I sound like my grandfather when he talks about computers) but I'd see this as an invasion to my privacy.

I can see potential positive aspect of this, such as helping people with learning difficulties, finding kidnap victims, runaways or lost children. It could be used to even determine whether a person is guilty or innocent of a crime or not.

However, every positive aspect I see, I can't help but have it turn into a negative with the technology going too far. I'm running away with myself (and my thoughts) here but I can see this being more detrimental to the individual.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No. nononononononono. This brings up all thise Illuminati, one world government, big brother theories. you know "we all will need chips to function in everyday life eventually."

I'm dead set against microships in babies, adults.... I only want microchips in my computer and ps2. nowhere else.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's pretty damn cruel to implant a chip in someone long before they have any choice in the matter.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The RFID technology is a long, long way from ready. It's been out for maybe a year, tested for about as long, and already hacks have been set up and used to exploit weaknesses in the system.

Big Brother all you want.. It doesn't sit well with me either.. But it wont' sit well at all if they do a half-assed job of setting up the technology.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would seem that everyone seems to be in the same boat on this one. I too would not trust something like this in the least. There is something about it that cries control and restriction of freedoms.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pity no-one can figure out how it does so without just making knee-jerk reactions. :wink:
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, seems like people are jumping to conclusions before understanding what these chips actually do. We're still far from being able to control biological functions with software, such as manipulating synapses through computer chips, etc.

All these chips do is interact with certain types of sensors, much like how people use access cards to enter restricted areas. Implanted chips basically communicate with these outside interfaces without you having to actually carry a card. This reduces the risk of having something like this stolen or being used by people who shouldn't.
Things like this can also eliminate stuff like identity theft and credit card fraud unless somebody actually digs into your body to take the ID.

However, I have no idea why such chips need to be implanted into a person's brain. It can be inplanted anywhere in the body and it would function the same way.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
However, I have no idea why such chips need to be implanted into a person's brain. It can be inplanted anywhere in the body and it would function the same way.

They don't. Most other ideas like this have the chip placed just under the flesh on the hand or arm.

If people worry that they can be tracked, or whatever, using these chips, they should worry about the same thing when carrying their ATM cards amongst other things.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's what I thought, but apparently the topic poster's source says otherwise which is why I found it odd.

I know of various trials going on with computer chips inplanted under people's skin, and I don't see what good inpmanting it inside the brain would do.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, it is quite risky too implant it there. Damage is easily done to the brain. But no matter where it will be implanted and wether my brains will be controlled by it or not i still see it as an invasion of my privacy so i'm against it. My privacy is very important to me and i don't want to be tracked whereever i go at any given time.

However this chip could very well be implanted in the bodies of criminals to keep an eye on them and to make sure they won't commit a felony again. In this case i am for the use of this chip.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the technology to affect the synapses of the brain does not exist yet then there really is no point in implanting the chips into the brain, i feel this is where all of the panicing is coming from "ZOMG there gonna squish something into my brain!!" - Im sure it wouldn't become madtitory, as Sophita said babies being chipped is just icky.

I personally think that the chip would work alot like an animal passport, in which a chip is implanted under the flesh of the animal as is read by a scanner, the chip contains all the details that people would need to know about the animal, personal i think that would be the same kind of system implimented with these chips - but why the brain? God knows?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ardPSiKo wrote:
My privacy is very important to me and i don't want to be tracked whereever i go at any given time.

Except that there's no reason to believe that this would be so.

The use of a chip by a company to restrict access to restricted areas or what have you would not allow the company, nor anyone else, the ability to track you anywhere on the planet, or even outside the company building you work in.

Let's face it, if the government wanted to track you, they can do so already. And, again, let's be brutally honest, 99% of us are completely uninteresting and boring. Why do people think the government would even give a damn about tracking you? Odds are, you aren't that important.
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just the idea of something like that existing makes me nauseous. No one is important when born John, but can become important. They want to control us. Going much more than taking our privace, they want to control everything that pass onto our mind. Ow my...just to think about those things makes me think that I was born in the wrong decade....stupid pathetic tecnology :x
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I give up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: