Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

continuity is one of suikodens selling points.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you continue to play future suikoden games if it lost it's continuity?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
maybe
50%
 50%  [ 16 ]
no
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 32

Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Gen. >____> Final Fantasy has always been a thorn in the side for RPGs.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andarc wrote:
I agree with Gen. >____> Final Fantasy has always been a thorn in the side for RPGs.

Saying FFs suck is one thing, as it translates in my mind to either the fanboys suck or it's overrated, but that there just ain't true. We probably wouldn't even have Suikoden without the boost FF gave to RPGs.

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You make a good point Yvl. Infact I liked FF up to VI, I disliked VII, VIII, IX(alot) and didnt even play X.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden's greatest, most amazing selling point is the continuity. There is something unbelievably fascinating, satisfying and enjoyable about playing as a different army in different eras and locations in the same world. The next Suikoden is always my most anticipated game, and a big reason for that is because I want to play in another area of the Suikoden world, and see recurring characters.

It's just so damn enchanting!

However, if the Suikoden games stopped having continuity, I cannot honestly say I'd stop playing. They'd still be good games, I imagine, will neat storylines and great characters.
Vessol

Goldstar's Regiment

3495 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love the whole expanded story of the Suikoden world that is only possable in a series of games. Unlike many RPGs such as Final Fantasy where the world is very small and not fleshed out. To me it is what makes me love the games so much as I can go "I wonder what kind of land Zexan is during this time" or imagine this huge massive realistic world.
red stuff

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Continuity is definitely one of the big selling points of Suikoden for me, since so few RPG series have it at all. One of the things I like most in each game are all the references to other nations/characters/etc, and that would obviously be lost if they started fresh with each new game. But if they did that and the game was good enough, I *might* play it eventually - but I wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic for the series. I'm sure not going to shell out 600+ to play SVI (assuming it's going to be on the PS3) if they ditched Suikoden's continuity.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is anyone familliar with the Magic: The Gathering storyline? From its conception until just a few years ago (Odessey) it all took place on the same plane (mostly) but then when Phyrexia was destroyed, the series took a new turn. It started out as though it was a totally new storyline, but eventually it got tied back into the original story.

My point is that even if it takes place on a new world, there may still be connections to the previous games. After all, Luc said that this was not the first time the 27 true runes had appeared on a planet.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it lost the continuity, I'd probably still keep picking them up out of I guess habit or whatnot, much like how I bought FFX, even though I've never played it to this day. But, I do think that if Jeane and Vikki didn't appear that I'd have really zero desire to play. Those two characters are a must no matter what nation, continent, or world the game would be set on. Keep them around and I can feel that the game is connected to the others. That's all I ask to keep me happy.

~Uguu!~
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a future Suikoden losing continuity in regards to the games preceding it would be as likely as Square-Enix suddenly releasing a Final Fantasy game that didn't have CGI-cinematic cutscenes. I may still buy such a game, but only after finding out from those who bought it first if its worth picking up.

15988 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Continuity is one of its greatest selling points, undoubtedly.
If Konami resigned from keeping the story going, it'd most likely lose half the fanbase at minimum. Just like mentioned above, the fact that there are plenty references to previous episodes in every new game as well as recurring characters makes it special amongst other RPGs.

Suikoden doesn't particularly draw attention of gamers though, it has weak graphics, which is currently the most vital aspect people take into consideration when buying a game. However, we can observe that our fav series are not immune to the influence of mainstream. It is a fact that Suikoden games have never been too tough to beat, but you'll have to agree with me ( at least those of you who had an opportunity to play it) that the latest part is way too easy.

As for me, I'd have to think it over to buy a suikogame that does not have anything in common with previous instalments, unless there was a satisfactory explanation given by Konami concerning the choice they had made. =)
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1132804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually would continue to play Suikoden even if the continuity aspect was dropped. It would take away some of the feel, yes, but all I really hope for in a game is for it to be a good, enjoyable game.

Hell, I even found things to enjoy in the much-maligned Suikoden IV while I would see others arguing that it was pretty much worthless because it was so far removed from the rest of the series.

Tullaryx wrote:
I think a future Suikoden losing continuity in regards to the games preceding it would be as likely as Square-Enix suddenly releasing a Final Fantasy game that didn't have CGI-cinematic cutscenes.

I'm actually nostalgic for the day when games like Final Fantasy weren't riddled with cutscene after cutscene. That all started in Final Fantasy VII, with the transition to the PlayStation. I personally feel the gaming industry is in a sad state if companies have to resort to putting movies into their product in order to keep their customers interested.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Hell, I even found things to enjoy in the much-maligned Suikoden IV while I would see others arguing that it was pretty much worthless because it was so far removed from the rest of the series.

To be honest, most of the complaints rely on gameplay issues even though it does retain the same basic 'feel' rather than the fact the game was 'removed' from the others in term of timeline and plot.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden IV had more problems than just Gameplay John. There was also the lack of character development, the cadence of the entire game, the poorly written dialogue, and the terrible voice acting. That's just to name a couple of the problems I had with the game besides the four person battle, the ship, the encounter rate, and the fact that it was somehow EASIER than a Suikoden has ever been.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never said otherwise, my good Scarlet.

My point was that people generally regarded Suikoden IV as a BAD Suikoden, not as something that was NOT Suikoden.

Suikoden IV, to me, is a sub-standard Suikoden game, but it's still recognisably Suikoden, no matter how ham-fisted the attempt.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I agree with John. No matter which way you look at it, Suikoden IV is still a Suikoden. And a bad one at that. It definitely had a "Suikoden feel" although that feeling was shadowed by Suikoden IV's myriad of failures.

And to stay on Topic:

Suikoden's incterconnecting story is definitely one of its main strengths of the series. Without it's continuity, I think I would still play Suikoden. Although I think I wouldn't appreciate the game as much as I would if the continuity is still there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: