Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

I found it OL so I can use it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're also tempting me in the worst way.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So I guess a lot of this falls under "fair use"? Interesting. Well I had tarnished my image enough, nobody would dare touch me unless it's used for framing. (Which has been done once already, this time for real art theft, all for saying "state your reference")

Anyway I wonder still, are there texts on line where there is real legal things written on this? I wonder what those dog girls would do when they learn it's only a law suit when their work is being stolen, claimed as someone else's and sold.

On the flipside many sites disallow content I don't own. Lunar Pages won't allow me to have work that's not mine. I'd avoid in case I accidentally upload anime screenshots for forums.

[spell checked for GJ]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Iscalio wrote:

I daresay, the risk that someone will be using that as an avatar (or anything else for that matter) is rather low.

I "less than 3" you, i really do! :P

Look at it this way, i'm using two characters in my sig that are held by Konami under copy write, but are they banging down my door for using it or Buff's door for making it for me... no they aren't. Also look at sites like Their Star which has a heck load of scanned images from magazines and art books, have they had any legal trouble over using copy written images? I don't think so....

To be honest a 13 year old kid isn't losing out if someone decides that they are going to use their art work as an avatar/sig, yes it might be annoying to see your art work used in a way that it wasn't intended, but all producers of any medium can have that feeling, like an author having meanings found in his books by critics when he never intended the book to be read that way.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This reminds me of say, the Zelda fandom. There's constantly big stinks about people stealing official artwork that someone else scanned in. Now I'm one who goes out and buys guides and such and scans images myself. And I'm all too willing to share, because to me - that art in itself belongs to the source (Nintendo) anyways, not the person who scanned it. But the property of copyrighted material seems to invariably 'belong' to the person who scanned it online. Madness.

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everybody who's peed at this needs to shut the God damn hell up, relax, breath, and realise it's just some art and only a hobby, or eat a nice big steaming bowl of diarrhoea porridge. You're not losing money. People aren't making money off you. No laws are being broken. This isn't so "controversial" but I would like to close this, but would like to see if someone else can add to this discussion without either agreeing that amateur artists just have to put up with this for sharing their art, or saying "it's just not fair. My friend had his/her art turned into an avatar and it's not right". It might not be "right" or "Fair" but it's not illegal at all. Like isc, I wouldn't dare touch it, not because it's someone else's art and they asked me not to, but because I just don't like my wolves with wings, or my male skunks pink with hearts on his back.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Look! I found Monalisa picture on the net, I'm going to use it as my avatar. Da Vinci would come and haunt me for not asking his permission first!

I definitely don't draw Monalisa, and I don't even know how much it's worth if sold/auctioned but it should be at least in the millions mark. Are they going to sue me for using it as an avatar in some message board? No, they won't. Will Leonardo Da Vinci come back to life and ask for money from me for using Monalisa as an avatar? No, he won't (bless his soul in afterlife).

If something as big as Monalisa isn't even being an issue, I doubt a pink skunk would. But at the same time, here's a suggestion for you, Kuu. Think of what you call as "art theft" as a compliment instead. People steal your work because they, for whatever reason, like your work. So they decide to enjoy it. They might not ask your permission first, but what are you going to do anyway if they ask? Tell them no? What can you do to prevent them using it when you don't even know where they're using it? What if the person can't speak English? Can't they "enjoy" your work too?

The only thing where "Art Theft" is an issue is when a person is stealing someone's art AND claim it as if it's theirs when it's not. If then the work wins a contest or something, then you might be able to sue that person (if you can prove it that it is indeed your own work). However, it is definitely a whole different case when compared to "someone used my image without my permission to make an avatar" which is by no means stealing.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh no, I've only had one thing stolen years ago, and that was from neopets. People like Deviant Art's friskit, Valixy, Tantu, Shadye and the likes are being robbed all the time.

they tell me to shut the f'up, when I flame their little hidy holes.

trust me this is a 'big issue', but again these people won't think twice about tracing photos, but the second their fave person gets art swiped its bad.

now for me I would be irked if somone took somthing i worked hard on for somthing stupid like a quiz result. but thats what art is for. Weither I take a screenshot from an anime, or save an image.

http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/243/e/c/Valkiria_Wolfess_8D_by_Sh ivia.jpg somthing like this gets stolen a lot. people want it. they want to say "my tigar on Jungle Dynasty role play" or claim to be the artist the'd use it in a "wich kind of wolf are you" test as a "you are the spirit of the clouds wolf!" result.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16230584 me, I am untouchable. nobody dare take that, and I don't need ugly watermarks. and if anyone here plans on using my art for banners you'll need to fork out the potch or you'r name is blacklisted :twisted:

I wish I could get differnt ideas here, prehaps form the artists in this community, I think one or two has done professional work. Its just so hard you know, for me to.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest you would have to pay ME to make a banner out of that.

I know Shivia and yes she is annoyed that her artwork has been used, but she put a watermark on it and people know that it is hers. Unlike most he has requested that people do not use her art, which is her right, but people also have the right to use it when it is on a public domain such as the internet.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What can you do but be annoyed kuu, or set lose your friends off aim on the person who's gone against your wishes? Nothing?
Yam Koo

Mighty Dragoons of Draconia

10296 Potch
1050 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, I will go on about what I think about this. I said this once already, but if you post art on the internet, and it is good enough to be used, someone is going to use it. That is the deal behind it, and if you don't like it, then don't post your art on the internet. It is as simple as that.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yam Koo, your AV is lovely, did you draw that yourself?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a trap!
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AA wrote:
To be honest you would have to pay ME to make a banner out of that.

I know Shivia and yes she is annoyed that her artwork has been used, but she put a watermark on it and people know that it is hers. Unlike most he has requested that people do not use her art, which is her right, but people also have the right to use it when it is on a public domain such as the internet.

No she put water marks after some complete ass hole made a Live Journal with the name "alphakuu" and copypasted my DA entrys into it and made me pretend to sell her work. The French roleplayers didn't discover her yet, so some idiot who couldn't take people telling her to 'state your referances" went ahead and framed me. I think that is 100 times more worse than somone using sombody's art to say "my character". everyone says not to use their art.

somtimes some cannot just ask. "hey person can I use your fox painting as my totem spirit angel guide". how hard is that? and folks, 1 potch won't cut rental fees. ptth. solders, potch and love and praise are good payments.

AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Irony and sarcasm are lost on you aren't they.....

Yes but that person didn't steal Shivia's art work, she still had them, he just made a copy and since it isn't covered by a copy right said person is well within their rights to do so.

Heck is owning a print of a painting illegal? Nope it sure isn't.

People using your name on the internet and pretending to be you and people taking art that is there in a public domain where the right mouse button has not been disabed are two different things so please don't bundle them into one.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AA wrote:
Irony and sarcasm are lost on you aren't they.....

Yes but that person didn't steal Shivia's art work, she still had them, he just made a copy and since it isn't covered by a copy right said person is well within their rights to do so.

Heck is owning a print of a painting illegal? Nope it sure isn't.

People using your name on the internet and pretending to be you and people taking art that is there in a public domain where the right mouse button has not been disabed are two different things so please don't bundle them into one.

I know its not, but for some reason it is 'justice' for saying "you should state your referances". Not everyone is going to reconise an image. so, for that I became a real art theif. isn't there a differance between somone else saying 'stolen', somone saying 'it would be kind and right to state referance" and "lol i drew these pictures and i am selling prints of them"
bah who the hell am I? "evil sib"? I think not.

so yeh, anway would the art here or on suikosource be up for grabs? If they don't say "don't redistrubute" then I can use it on my fan page? or a quiz or avatars?

Oh and to who ever said the thing about owning scans. It happens everywhere. "I own these suikoden screencaputres, no stealies". its more like "I racked by brain spending hours getting the right shots, cleaning them up and stuff, please credit me for my hard work". I'd love to supply people with screenshots and scans. Just the quality is low and this new computer lacks I card I think.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: