Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

I found it OL so I can use it
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: I found it OL so I can use it Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

howdydowdy folks, here is an uber-voilital topic, so naughty and hurtfull it was erased on another forum. If not they dind't see it as cute spamy-fooo.

If you are on art sites like Deviant, and draw popular things like Dinsey style dogs (my arch enemy) or anime, time to time you'll be subject to various degrees of 'art theift', recently a bunch of popular faces and new comers have had kids steal their pictures, either they claim them as their own, or say "this is my character Sparkle", when of course the artist owns the character named Wisperleaf. Think of it as if somebody like me created, owned and roleplayed Snowe Vingerhut then somebody else took him.

now, the thing is many fights come of these, its easy to understand. If your best friend spent a year making a blue lioness and fleshing out a cookie-cutter personality and some yipyap comes along and takes it, of course you'll flame them, or if said yipyap comes and insults her because she refuses to let her play said character. My though is either they are uncreative or see no differance in role playing some 'internet person''s character or Harry Potter. There is a slight differance.

Then comes people who take art as 'clip art', they use it on Myspaces, banner's and avatars with no premisson. A lot of people do it with published works, name one person on any given fan forum who has an avatar they didn't make 100%? I only used them a few times myself. Is this wrong? is it any more wrong for me to use a picture of Vincent Valentine for an personality quiz than it is for me to serch Deviant Art, personal art sites or such and use "sahy322's" drawing for said quiz result?

what do you people think? does googling "wolf" for images mean you can trace the photo and call it "my drawing i worked hard on", does googling "anime knight" give you the right to use that image in your sig to say "this is me on the internet"? even if it was Final Fantasy art or the work of an art student?

A lot of people seem to think.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas.

Eventually everyone will realize that and get over the internet drama, until then I like hanging around on SuikoX where the drama is kept to a minimum.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeh but take the guy in your avatar, lets say I drew that ok? and your friend was serching the net, somone saved my drawing uploaded it to "hot anime guys I like" dot net, somone saved that and put it on myspace wich was found then via google images and then you wound up. it dosen't matter if you say you made it or not, the fact is its my art and I'm not happy with the use of it.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35799145/ or lets say I took this wolf and said "m y character" of course I'm going to flame me. ah well the gig is up it was supposed to be a fake account, people won't know and I could still be lying about it being mine.

so you don't think nothing wrong has been done? I can use a picture of Jowy and say "my guy i am on the forum", because they look the same, or use one of the artists from this site or suikosource's. I'd like to know their view on it. it has happend before somone used somebody's art (our admin knows what I'm talking about) on a fan site without premission.

anway intersting idea. try telling that to a sobbing 15 year old girl, that her cartoons are 'free use'.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about this one Ku, I use that avatar for that reason. That's my vision of a prince of Kooluk :mrgreen:

I don't care who drew it, I don't care how long it took. I'm not claiming I drew it, nor am I saying it belongs to me, but I'll be damned if there's no one on this board that looks at that avatar and thinks "Scarlet assassin."

The point is that it's going to happen no matter what you do. Claiming that some picture is the personification of your internet persona has nothing to do with art theft.

The bottom line is, if you don't want people using your art, don't put it on the internet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it might acctualy, untill you can show me legal papers on it, I'll side with the 12-18 year olds on this one.

and for that last line, if those people were here, you'd get flamed so badly, if a 15 year old girl drew that image, people would say things like "you deserve to be shot" and 'oh take him to court for art theift you can do that!"

its difficult to say, I could email you links, if anyone wants to know what this 'game' is like, you'd want to pull your hair out.

Yam Koo

Mighty Dragoons of Draconia

10296 Potch
1050 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, in my opinion, I feel that art should be shared, not horded. I mean, if you draw art, you should share it with the people. Plain and simple.

Also, no one in there right mind would verbally assualt anyone. Most artist I know would appriciate the fact that people think there art is nice enough to make into Avatars and Signatures.

And finally, Scalet Assassin has a point, if you don't want people using your art, then don't put it on the internet. It is that easy.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well Yam Koo, thats where you are wrong. noble warriors go and hunt art theifs down, even if they didn't say they drew the image.

its intersting and sad the levels of protection or lack of, allegidy going "(c) fussypaw77, don't take or I'll murder your family" grands you legal protection, if somone takes it and puts the image on a web site, or myspace you can use them into poverty. or somthing like that.

so as long as I don't sell it, say I drew it, I can go "my character" or 'he looks like this" on http://www.suikosource.com/images/CardStories/018.gif or use Blanka's art and do the same?

It all depends on if they object right?

Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

An interesting question you bring up. As an artist and as a user I can see both sides of this... I adapted my avatar from an image on Suikosource. I'm not going to claim that I drew it, and when I looked at the main page of that site there was only a message about not hot linking to their avatars. If they said expressly 'don't use these avatars,' I wouldn't, but of course it's Konami's say in the end...

Here's my stand on it, and I don't pretend that it's right for everyone. I think that some limited copying of professionally made art is all right if you are making no money from it and are, in essece, promoting the product. An example of this is adapting a Puikoden picture for use as an avatar on a Suikoden fan forum. And copying of art for the purposes of appreciation is fine, as long as a person never claims that it was their work. Permission is always nice to get if possible, too. But what is wrong in ALL cases (to me at least) is saying that you made the picture when you didn't. That's just a plain lie, and theft.

I'll probably be making my own avatar at some point... in the mean time, nobody is going to think I really invented and drew Yoshino, are they? I think the crux of the matter is appropriate, thoughtful use of images.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ku if you don't want to share your art don't put it on the net and if you do at least put a watermark on it so that people can't take it without everyone knowing it is from you.

The internet is a free place, yes e do have copyright laws, but have you placed a copyright on your art work? If not then it is your own fault if people are using your art without your permission, simply because you have made it that way.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's no real way to police this or enforce any sort of ownership over images on the internet. The only thing you can do is count on the decency of others, in which I personally hold very little faith. And if there were a way, I highly doubt it would be cost effective.

If someone does not put some sort of identifying feature, such as a watermark as AA said, or state that the image is not to be used either at all or without permission, then they have done nothing to stop the problem. If one does these things and someone claims it as their own or just uses it, then they're simply disrespectful and there's nothing that can be done.

When it comes down to it, one has to weigh their desire to share their work against the risk that it's good enough to be taken by others.

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AA wrote:
Ku if you don't want to share your art don't put it on the net and if you do at least put a watermark on it so that people can't take it without everyone knowing it is from you.

The internet is a free place, yes e do have copyright laws, but have you placed a copyright on your art work? If not then it is your own fault if people are using your art without your permission, simply because you have made it that way.

Agreed. to gain any praise for your work, other than self satisfaction, you're going to have to show this to people. you can request they not take your art and modify it, so they can't chop it up into banners or AVs, and if they go against your wishes, they you can be pissed off, but there's no recourse for you, it's not worth it anyway. your drawings aren't a sorce of revenue for you yet, the wholw copyrighting thing mainly is there for people who derive their money from the works of their imagination : their characters, their words, their ideas. you're not at that stage, so I think it's irrational for amature artists to have a bitch fit about it. honestly, If I really liked a picture and wanted to use it, I ask permission from the person who shared it. I ask if it's their work. I ask if they mind if I were to use it, or if they know who created it. I then try to give credit where I can, or when asked. I think the most artistic I can get is any type of computer art is dodgy stick figures, so I don't think anyone would automatically assume that I drew this things myself.

In the end, I don't care some 15 year old "artist" feels hard done by.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeh I see, boy I do wish I could get money from art. 20 dollars for a digital cartoonie image, drawn at home in 6 hours while I guzzle tea all 6 hours on my butt, but my revinue comes in plant planing cash. Not working in an office and selling furry comissions.

some of these people are only 16 years old to mind you. does that make a differance, also if they know their style is one where image are highly stolen, only after some pretend to be robbed (happend to me, because I told a girl to state her referances so people pretended to be me and selling her work as my own) then they use watermarks that just say "http://www.fluglyrabbit.deviantart.com (c)". But that dosen't work even, even they morons take some art and say " drew this",all the while having 5 differnt images. This happend, not to me, but I swear the person who did this was just acting like a dolt, nobody can be that stupid or think common folk's creations are up in the air to roleplay (like Harry Potter lets say)

I'd love to see what professionals say about this, also on the subject of "art theift version 4", or 'pose theift'. If you draw a dragon sitting and facing left, and it looks almost the same as somone else's drawing. Rest assured "you are an art theif". meanwhile if you are a sweet heart and popular, copying published works exactly and not stating, or tracing photographs is totaly unrealted *cheesy grin and wink* yup!

I don't think I need to worry about being ripped off, it only happend once from a forum I was on, somwhat annoyed I told the person my image wasn't clip-art. They learnt afterwards. I'm the queen if pain, stealing my art is like saying you are the baby of Judus and The Devil...or if possible Voldermort and Sauron for you fantasy geeks.

its a frantic fray out there, and the weeboo (what ever that is) kids are abundant and always right. there are two worlds here, mostly when stuff like
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34533724/?qo=20&q=by%3Akuwaizai r+sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps gets stolen from a kid all hell breaks loose. even if somone is rping her like I'd try to rp one of my characters or a published character. also making characters simiular to it also is illegal. I have no idea how Miracle Studios hasn't been chewed out yet because their mouse looks like Micky.

Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What you're failing to realize her ku, is that just because some fifteen year old girl has a fit when I steal her image and make it an avatar, doesn't mean that it's art theft. If I was taking an image, saying it was my own, or in any way representing it as my work, then it would be wrong. However, if I'm minding my own business on a forum and using somebody's artwork as an avatar, I'm not breaking any laws. I'm not hotlinking, I'm not taking credit, and I'm not hurting anyone. No harm, no foul. If some kid came onto SuikoX tomorrow and told me to stop using my avatar because he drew it, I'd tell him to shove it.

There is no law that says i can't wear an image made by someone else without their written permission, otherwise all of us would be under arrest (except Midori.) Like I've said before, the internet is the internet, and until the FBI busts down my door for wearing some kid's image, I'm going to continue to do whatever I want on the internet.

BTW, it's "Theft" and "Thief"

iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
its a frantic fray out there, and the weeboo (what ever that is) kids are abundant and always right. there are two worlds here, mostly when stuff like
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34533724/?qo=20&q=by%3Akuwaizair+so rt%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps gets stolen from a kid all hell breaks loose.

I daresay, the risk that someone will be using that as an avatar (or anything else for that matter) is rather low.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

iscalio, you're the greatest.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: