Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What is your Religion?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never attacked your post sarcastically and I would appreciate it if you would not insinuate that I did. I simple asked the question "When did Roman Catholics stop being Christians?" as ever religion scholar, Catholic priest and historian of the world will say that Catholicism is a sect of Christianity, meaning Catholics are Christians.

I'd suggest you research more about Catholicism and Christianity in general, as the distinction you keep implying seems to be the distinction between Protestants and Catholics, not Catholics and Christians.
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uhh, Catholics are Christians. That's a fact and if you don't know that, sorry but you don't really know your own religion. If you believe that Christ is the messiah, then you're automatically a Christian. Catholics (or the Roman Catholic Church--those in communion with the Bishop of Rome) are just one denomination within the whole of Christianity.
Mr. Geddoe

The Ghost Army

333054 Potch
380 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do not think one word or conception can describe my theological position clear enough, so let me do a little 'math';

I am an agnostic. I do not believe that I possess the knowledge regarding the existence of a God.
I am an ignostic. I do not think most theological discussions today satisfies the skeptical noncognitivism stance.
I am an igtheist. I do not think the belief itself matters. It is of no importance.
I am a Muslim. I was raised as one and I see Islamism as quite a decent spiritual vehicle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------- +
To sum it up, I think I am best described as a deist. I am leaning towards believing that there is a deity, but I trust my reason more than available dogmas. :) But if I could invent my own party, you can say that I am a theological opportunist. I exploit God, his probable existence, and his probable nonexistence.

I am a double-crosser, back-stabber, nomadic amateur philosopher indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure if I posted in this thread before or not, but here goes anyways. I was raised as a Roman Catholic. I still consider myself one, though I have become too lax in keeping with Churchgoing and the Sacraments.
Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm probably a freethinker, since I don't believe in a particular god.. but sometimes I like to believe and pray to a superior being, whatever that is.

Usually the moon or the stars

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am nordic. I guess the best way to describe that is to say I follow the Viking gods. People often either scoff at my faith and/or just call it mythology. I am secure enough in my faith to not be threatened by other people's disbelief though, so feel free to ask any questions regarding the Norse faith/gods/worlds and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

I was speaking to a Christian friend of mine at work and he was stating that 'Christian' literally means 'like christ' and refers to people that follow Jesus' beliefs and values. The Catholic church may follow the same god and preach the same teachings, however throughout history there have been numerous examples of priests and missionaries acting in the exact opposite way, in the name of their god. I'm not saying that Catholicism is bad - just that there are a few that have given the many a bad name and its hard to imagine Jesus would approve of their methods really.

I was raised Anglican and after primary school I started questioning my faith and lingered for a while before looking back into my ancestry to find Norse heritage.

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No heaven, no hell, no karma, no chi, no mary, no buddah, no muhammed, no jesus, no god. If you have to toss me into a category throw me in with the Atheists.

btw, rock on Falcon Crit for the nordic religion - explain a little, what brought you to explore you native religion and what secured you faith into that particular religion? I'm not going to be a dick and assume you just chose an ancient religion to be unique and different, but am genuinly curious as to what aspects of the Nordic religion appealed the most to you besides the history, and are there "teachings" so to speak associated with your faith?

I hate you Onimaru.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been called agnostic. I don't know if there's a big man int he sky, and I can't prove if he exists or doesn't. I don't want to choose any religion, because what if the one I choose is wrong? I just feel that all religions have their flaws and perfections. I feel they all make a valid point, some way. I feel they all have great history, and names and such, thus, I don't really want to become religious or athiest.

Moreso, I'm spiritual. It's more that I believe in myself and my spirit. Call me a hippie, but hey, it's worked for me.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure if I've posted here before, and I'm not about to search through 26 pages to find out.

I'm an atheist, through and through. I pretty much match what Onimaru said:

Quote:

No heaven, no hell, no karma, no chi, no mary, no buddah, no muhammed, no jesus, no god. If you have to toss me into a category throw me in with the Atheists.

^Actual quote!
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Onimaru wrote:
btw, rock on Falcon Crit for the nordic religion - explain a little, what brought you to explore you native religion and what secured you faith into that particular religion? I'm not going to be a dick and assume you just chose an ancient religion to be unique and different, but am genuinly curious as to what aspects of the Nordic religion appealed the most to you besides the history, and are there "teachings" so to speak associated with your faith?

Totally for the shock factor only.

haha j/k :) No seriously I was raised Anglican and like all Christian faiths it teaches humility and peace but worships an image of a man being tortured? Basically there are a couple of fundamental things in Christianity that really don't fit with my beliefs, firstly the idea of a single all-powerful god is something I cannot stomach. If he created humans in his image then why are there wars everywhere? Surely if he's so all powerful and perfect he can force his will upon us and bring global peace? Secondly (and mainly) the concept of heaven and hell in Christian faith - do you really believe that to go to heaven and be happy in the afterlife you need to live strictly by the 10 commandments? How many people here can honestly say they've never done anything wrong? Sex out of wedlock is the one thing that has pretty much damned us all. The very concept that you have to be mr. perfect your entire life just to get into a livable afterlife is stupid, and even moreso the fact that you can be truly a horrible person but if the day before you die you truly repent for your 'sins' you can get a free ticket to heaven.

In the norse faith noone is perfect. Odin had to sacrifice one of his eyes to gain the runes and great wisdom, there are wars on all the worlds and even between worlds. While the basic concept of sin exists there is no damnation for minor breaches, and if the sagas are anything to go by, even the gods have sex out of wedlock. The world is a shade of grey, there may be the occasional person who fits into the perfect bill of someone that should go to christian heaven, and there are those that deserve to go to christian hell... but for the common man and woman, what is there as a Christian? In norse faith the grey is far clearer. When you die you are taken to Helheim and you stand before the goddess Hel who looks into your soul and decides your fate. Those that are truly evil are fed to the dragon Niddhoggr, but for the common person a space in Hel is granted, with a home and lands to tend forevermore. You see Helheim is an infinite utopia where everyone goes when they die and you may find yourself on a lot next to an elf or a dwarf or a giant even. There are of course the select few that are capable warriors and fall heroically in battle. These men and women are born up to Asgard by Valkyries, so that they may fight for the army of the gods.

Does that explain it well enough? I looked back at my past when christianity was found wanting, and I discovered a faith that fit my beliefs and interpretations of the world.

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
If he created humans in his image then why are there wars everywhere? Surely if he's so all powerful and perfect he can force his will upon us and bring global peace?

Because (and that's actually one of the main tenets of traditional Christianity) God created man with a free will. He created a free creature and a free world, a world distinguished from him. If he were to create something perfect, then he would just 'recreate himself' or rather nor create anything at all. In order to create something, he had to create something finite.
A creature that does good even though it could do evil is much more beautiful than a creature that does good like an automaton. Actually, the latter doesn't do good at all. Even a horrible sinner is still worth infinitely more than a creature that has no free mind.
According to Christianity, free will is what man has that makes him "in God's image". Of course God could "force his will upon us and bring global peace" as you put it, but he doesn't want to. Because according to Christianity, the freedom and sovereignty of man is worth all wars and suffering he creates.
God made man free "and it was very good." (Gen 1). Why should he change it now?
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i've done too many drugs to believe in a god, but i've done too many drugs to believe that there isn't more to everyday life.

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know I've posted in this topic before, but I finally figured out what I can be called.

I am a Christian Agnostic (if that makes sense). I am a Christian, yet I also believe that no one will know who was right until they are dead. Thus, I would never force my opinions on others.

I don't trust many Christians in life (many seem hypocritical or holier-than-thou). I have nothing against those that are genuine, but those are hard to find these days.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Crimson_Angel

13285 Potch
60 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Christian, though I must admit, I've never actually been to church besides when I was baptised, and for my aunt's wedding. I know alot about Jesus, and some of the other basics of the religion. I believe in God and Jesus, of course.

- Auron, Final Fantasy X

"I'm a warrior, not a variety of flower!"

- Vegeta, Dragonball Z
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think most religions are a bunch of BS. Most have way to many loopholes and accounts of corruption in their history to really be taken seriously. To make things worse, most require a blind faith that can completely devoid them from rational and logical thinking. I've bordered on the line of atheism; looking more towards Buddhism as it is more of a focus on just bettering yourself to the point of reaching a true understanding and satisfaction with your life or in short, enlightenment.

It's hard not to think there isn't some sort of spirituality to the world...what that is..your guess is as good as mine :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: